Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Olympics in Sochi Yuk!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Serriadh, it's estimated to be between 3 and 5% in the UK, so I assume that's the same the world over, after all it's not a lifestyle choice. I once watched a TV programme that implied that homosexuality is more common in grey whales than humans.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^ 2 final things

1) “The UK had cynical Section 28 in place until 2003, which was almost exactly the same as the law passed in Russia, which said that homosexuality should not be promoted in schools or to minors”. The UK is not as progressive as you might think.

2) Campaigners for gay rights in Russia also doubt a boycott would do any good. “The only people who would suffer because of the boycott will be sportsmen participating in this competitions, that’s why I’m against this,” gay activist Nikolay Alekseev told RT

http://rt.com/news/world-athletics-championship-moscow-327/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 7-11-13 15:16; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I wonder what proportion of the world's population is gay.

Statistically about 8-10%
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
on a slightly different tack, Im not sure how enjoyable the actual games are going to be for spectators, a 'ring of steel' will effectively cut of Sochi from everywhere, and by all accounts the visas will not let you out and back in again once you are in 'the ring' . A lot of accomodation is on cruise ships moored in the harbour, and the 'on the ground' security is going to be very tight. I hope the games themselves are a fantastic spectacle, despite whatever we might think of the politics, however with Russia's reputation it would take a brave athlete to make a point of principal on the podium!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
1) “The UK had cynical Section 28 in place until 2003, which was almost exactly the same as the law passed in Russia, which said that homosexuality should not be promoted in schools or to minors”. The UK is not as progressive as you might think.
/

Indeed. The UK is pretty far from perfect. We don't however, seem to be actively trying to make life more unpleasant for a large minority of the population. Moreover, past poor behaviour doesn't excuse others from engaging in the same in the future. This isn't even hypocrisy.

Haggis_Trap wrote:
2) Campaigners for gay rights in Russia also doubt a boycott would do any good.

It isn't at all clear what would do any good at this point. Certainly, there's no consensus on either side of the border.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Does it matter that the Olympics are held in unpleasant countries, with unpleasant human rights records, with unfair or ineffective legal systems, where political or business elites steal for their own benefit and demonise and persecute minorities? To my mind no, it doesn't.

The original Olympics were held between warring Greek City States. They just stopping killing each other for long enough to compete. So the Olympics ideals can deal with differing opinions

It's surely helpful that attention is focused on Russia? It may even modify their behaviour somewhat. Were the Olympics being held in Switzerland this year, Russia would be busy persecuting minorities and dissidents with far less international media attention. At least they now must know that pogroms against minorities will just earn them the worlds opprobrium.

Whether they care is another thing. We'll still buy their gas, sadly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Meanwhile in the Commonwealth being gay is still far from fabulous: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/10/homosexuality-illegal-in-41-out-of-53-commonwealth-countries-report
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tirol, Surely the level of spending is purely an internal matter for the Russians and is irrelevant to anyone else. The question of corruption would also seem to me to be an internal affair unless it impinges directly on the games. Say a Russian politician accepts a backhander for pushing a contract towards a certain firm then I fail to see how that is of concern to anyone outside Russia either.

Recent polls suggest a large majority (90%) of Russians support the legislation against gay propaganda. AFAIK Russia is not a signatory to the UDHR either. We may feel that their stance is wrong but it is little different from the UK a few years ago and far more liberal than a great many countries. Out of c.200 countries less than half supported a LGBT rights declaration in 2011. Homosexuality is illegal or restricted in a sizeable minority of countries. (Not sure of the exact numbers). So, let's not kid ourselves that our viewpoint is objective or even widely accepted.

My point is that our views on homosexuality and specifically the 'promotion' of homosexuality are not 'a truth universally acknowledged'. It makes no more sense for us to boycott Sochi, or wish it to fail, than it would have done for Russia and dozens of other countries to boycott London 2012 because of OUR laws regarding homosexuality. Sure we can campaign for change and try to persuade them that our view is 'correct', but it is just OUR view.

On the subject of South Africa, I don't think sporting sanctions made any significant impact at all. Everyone credits Mandela with ending apartheid but IMO FW de Klerk deserves far greater recognition and that Mandela's real achievements were after his release.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FIFA and IOC are basically run by a bunch of crooks. They should boot them out as UCI has just done.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Claude B, sorry to say, but UCI is really not a reference for anything. Even though they turn around whole lot less money then some FIFA, their corruption, and especially incompetence, is on whole different (higher just that there won't be some misunderstanding) then anything FIS or FIFA have ever seen.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
primoz, but they have just replaced their President which will hopefully lead to vast improvements.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hopefully, but wasn't McQuaid the guy who would do exactly that, when he was elected as president some 6 or 7 years ago? Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy