Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts you liked more than you thought you would

Poster: A snowHead
Something a bit more positive than the resort whinge thread. Where did you go which exceeded your expectations and why?

For me - La Plagne. I went years ago as an intermidiot and remembered lots a quite samey blue runs. Went back as a better skier and loved the off piste opportunities - N Face of the Bellecote is one of the most awesome faces in the Alps for skiing IMV. Roche de Mio has lots of steep, easy to access lines and plenty of other stuff to do. The place's reputation as being good for family pootlers means that it doesn't get skied too much. The resort itself still doesn't look exciting and the lifts are a bit creaky in places, but still a place I can seem myself skiing frequently in the future (even if I don't stay in the resort itself.)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 11-11-13 13:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Dolomites. Of all the areas I've skied, that's the one that makes me want to go back and explore even more of them, and go back in summer to explore even more.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zauchensee,
Went there on a day trip from Obertauern in the afternoon when we had intended to ski Flachau. Obertauern is a bit limited in bad weather and we headed to Flachau to get out of a storm. It was pretty unbearably busy with huge queues thanks to Dutch holiday and what we saw rather dull runs though I am prepared to say we saw little thanks to the queues.
We went a few minutes up the road to Zauchensee, no queues an attractive varied ski area, reasonably sized with a decent itinaire and good vertical. I was not expecting much of a resort I had heard little of but we enjoyed it so much we went there for the last day of the trip as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ALPBACH for me in Austria. When I was there 4 years ago the number of runs was limited, but it was perfect for a family skiing holidays. Now apparently there is a link to a new ski area. Nice scenary, good prices, best ever instructors' show on Thursday night. Our accomodation was on a mountain, had to drive 5 km every day down to lifts, but it was best ever family ski holidays. Almost every evening we went to the resto which is also on the mountain - on a way back from the resto the night sky with so many stars what I have not seen anywhere else in my life. Have not returned there yet as drive from Belgium is not easy compared to FR resorts.
Good and warm memories, would love to go back again.

TIGNES - not particulary cute, but good skiing everytime, although Tignes was always my 'guys only' choice, not sure if family skiing work that well as well.

It all depends on the needs - when skiing with the guys, small-ish resorts would not be particulary good, while the opposite when skiing with a family.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Puy St Vincent would be another one again only skied it on day trips from Serre Che but the first tiem I went ther we had wonderful powder a couple of days after the last snow fall. In retrospect it probably was nothing out of the ordinary but it made me realise that for an average skier like myself who enjoys a bit of off piste you are far more likely to get decent conditions in less well known resorts than in the ones that are famous for their off piste. I don't need mega steepness (or ski with any confidence) but I do like good snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Risoul and Vars. Friendly small resort. Reasonably large ski area. Lots of sun
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Valmeinier... went there many years ago on a cheap coach trip so didn't expect much. It far exceeded my expectations, great skiing and perfectly formed little resort in my opinion.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe I could also add Val D'Isere for slightly different reasons... I had high expectations and it surpassed even those. Possibly made better by virtue of the fact that I was there for New Year.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Verbier.

Even though I thought it was going to be great, there was about 50-60cms fresh as we arrived. We woke to village cloud. Not having a clue of where to go we thought it best to go straight up to Mt Gele. Fog broke just below Attelas and we found ourselves on Mt Gele, practically unskied in deep powder. Awesome. Even if I was on 203cms SL skis.

The rest of the week we bumped into some locals who showed us around - Stairway, rockgarden, Vallon d'arbi, etc. Quite extraordinary.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Falcade in the Dolomites, we booked very last minute, got a really cheap place to tay and weren't really sure what it was going to be like. The skiing was pretty good and no one skied off piste so there was loads of fresh snow for ages Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nendaz, Villars, Avoriaz, Davos and Sainte Foy in no particular order.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Resorts I've really enjoyed and would always go back to; Kitzbuhel, SkiWelt, Madonna di Campiglio, Ski Amadé, Val D'Isère

Resorts I quite liked and would go back to as part of a group or other such opportunity; Cervinia/Zermatt, Courmayeur, La Thuile/La Rosière, Avoriaz, Niederau

Resorts I feel a bit indifferent about; Passo Tonale, Andalo, Tignes, Méribel, Val Thorens

Resorts I just didn't like; La Plagne, Pas De La Casa
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having being blooded on French mega resorts for several years, by virtue of hooking up with a lass from south east Germany, I ended up doing some short trips to Sonnenkopf, Stubai, Warth, Stuben. Opened my eyes to what was in offer in smaller and/or Austrian ski areas.

Like others I have grown to appreciate La Plagne on repeat visits - although I can't say I've ever disliked it.

Less easy to be surprised these days because I read so much stuff on here Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

TIGNES

Yep +1 plesantly suprised by it myself the first time Village is ugly as hell but the skiing is good

Megeve - again not a fan of the town atmosphere but the ski area was enjoyable.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fattes13, I prefer Tignes skiing to Val but dead as a dodo and akin to Bracknell with snow. That said couple of beers in Alpaca OK. Val great place but just too busy.
snow report
Flaine-great skiing, and if you stay in Les Carroz you don't have to suffer the architecture. Really liked the skiing in the wole of the GM more than I ever thought I would.
ski holidays
St Anton - I know this isn't a big shocker but I was expecting to be a bit pissed off by the Kerazzy Jester Hat and cowprint onesie Germanic hordes but found the whole area genuinely vast and interesting and more than easy enough to get away from der pistendrinkencruisen. Even town is quite pleasant and you can have a few at the Mooser or elsewhere without getting paralytic and enjoy the experience.
snow report
fatbob, pretty much my view on St Anton. thought the skiing was great; still dubious about Austrian apres ski but no-one's forcing you to take part
ski holidays
Valmorel was a surprise, not least as I was on one of those 'mystery tours' where you know the airport you're flying to but not the destination. When they told me Valmorel, I was a little underwhelmed but enjoyed a surprisingly large area not without challenge - despite its family reputation - and the hotel was very good too! Top dollar service for a very good price!

Arosa surprised me with its off-piste opportunities from a small ski area - now looking forward to the new link with Lenzerheide!

Solden pleasantly surprised me as being a far superior ski area to the better known but hugely over-rated Obergurgl.
latest report
fatbob, St A is still on my list....
snow conditions
Some resorts grow on you with time. First time I went to Verbier I was on a day trip in a very warm March visiting form Zermatt. In comparison the crowds were horrific and the snow pretty ordinary.
Second time was on a boys trip in a fairly poor snow year but really enjoyed a lot of the itinaires. Subsequent trips have been to Nendaz but the skiing is the same and it is definitely one that improves with knowledge and I don't know it well.
snow report
T Bar,

Makes me wonder how often we upgrade or downgrade resorts due to favourable/unfavourable weather or snow conditions.
ski holidays
joemalone,
Agree with that quite a lot the other factor is knowing where the best snow is particularly when going off piste. Time in a resort brings knowledge.
snow conditions
Flaine, went on advice of parents with young kids as we needed that also, first time in 2007, loved it from the first moment, I think I am a rarity but I like the architecture Toofy Grin from the top of the resort it all blends in to the mountain and virtually invisible. Ended up going back 5 years on the bounce and still love the place and GM area. Will return once my son does not need the kids club side of things Very Happy
snow conditions
Flaine- did sc with kids so no nightlife didn't bother me. Surprisingly good skiing across GM esp Gers bowl, though snow was also great
ski holidays
joemalone, i find it most buzarre that anyone would rate a poace based on transient weather,
snow conditions
under a new name,

That's possibly because I didn't actually say that anyone rates a place based on transient weather. However snow conditions and weather undoubtedly contribute to your view of the overall experience and possibly even may unfairly colour your view of the resort.
snow report
joemalone, ah, you may not have said it but there have been more than a few comments on here where people clearly have.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gerlos. Only went there for a couple of days because it's on the Salzburg skipass and we fancied a trip over the border to Tirol. Surprisingly big ski area over to Zell am Ziller, and some easily-accessible offpiste. Then a nice little après hut halfway down the final run, filled with locals rather than drunken Dutch.
latest report
Good choice. I usually start from the other end and ski to Gerlos. This year, I want to check out more of the Gerlos/Königsleiten end. Certainly saw some very tempting pristine powder there, but decided there must be a reason there were no tracks spoiling the pristine-ness.
snow conditions
I thought Tignes was relatively family friendly (with 11. 10 and 8 year olds in tow). and the 10 year old was a nervy type and no ski experience. They were able to go to the supermarket, lockers, ski school and cafes on their own. Everything only a short walk and everyone helpful and friendly. Can't talk about nurseries etc but once past that age it was perfect.
snow conditions
Soll and the Ski Welt. Went there with a mate a few years back on our annual 3 nights/4 days skiing trip and it was superb by day and by night.

La Plagne - hated it first time I went and hated it again 5 years later. Never go back again.

Les Gets/Morzine/Avoriaz - loved it year on year for about 4 years and then the last time I went I fell out of love and let it be known "its not your fault, its me" Smile

Obergurgl - great family trips there and still hold it dear although went back 2 years ago and felt I'd outgrown it a bit in terms of ability
snow report
Aspen, Big Sky

After having been to quite many resorts, I stop "expecting". Almost all resorts will have hidden gems to be discovered and please a versatile skier. It could be long winding tree-line runs in serene forest, or adrenalin filled steeps dodging rocks, and everything in between. So I'm rarely disappointed by any resorts, nor am I usually particularlly thrilled by any resort living up to, or beyond their "reputation".

But Aspen (actually Snowmass) and Big Sky exceeded my higest expectation up to this point! I've been to bigger resorts, Vail, 3V, the Dolomites. But Aspen and Big Sky felt much bigger than their geographical size.

I think the reason is the HUGE variety of runs. Both resorts have from very beginner friendly to super technical terrain. But more importantly, every grade in between, in baby steps. So depending on how I feel that day, I can choose to take it easy, dial it up just a tad, or scare myself silly, all at a whimp. And I can access such terrain within a couple lifts! (or often times, just a slightly different line off the same lift I've been on!).

Both are relatively quiet, with rather empty piste and short lift lines (if at all). Off mountain, excellent (but expensive) food choices of all cusine.

Given both are "mega" resorts: expensive resort known for excellent variety packed into a compact geographical size. I had high expectation before going. Yet both far exceed my highest expectations!

(Mammoth is also a very good resort but it "only" live up to my high expectation. Not exceeding it like Big Sky and Aspen. Part of the reason being the "transition" from intermediate to advance to expert terrain are a bit harsh. It's not quite so easy to "just sample a bit" of the harder stuff, or step it up in baby steps. You're committed to something a lot harder when you want to step it up, much more like many otherwise excellent mountains that has a lot of variety)
ski holidays
La Plagne for me too.

It has something of a beginners/intermidiots reputation yet venture off the piste and there are some very memorable routes. Walking the ridge of Mont Jovet and then skiing back down to below La Roche must be one of my highlights.
snow report
Dolomites. Three trips and it gets better each time.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 9-11-13 19:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
For a day St Jean d'Aulpes near Morzine - slow lifts and drags but two wonderful runs away from the main lift system.
ski holidays
Big Birch in Connecticut.

Tiny hill with 2 chairs which were very short.
Only one of which had any kind of incline.

Why did I like it?

I could drive there in 40 minutes from my house and just go on a spur of the moment for a couple of hours on a weekend afternoon.

OK so it was only about twice the length of Hemel and not as steep.....but 40 mins from home...I loved it!

The scorn I used to get in the office on a monday for saying I went there for saturday afternoon...."you should go to Colorado"....errr, yes....but you can't drive there in 40 minutes on the spur of the moment when you know it snowed in the week! I went skiing....you watched even more TV...
snow report
Pass Powderkeg in Canada - an area that we visited on the way back from Fernie to Calgary.

Very small, served only by a couple of T-bars but immaculate grooming and we had the place to ourselves.

Happy days indeed! Very Happy
latest report
I was very surprised by Serre Chevalier. I had been there once before in the 90s on a day trip from ADH. It was training at resort and puking snow up top. Spent all day getting either soaked or frozen. Low vis, variable conditions from pow to porridge, just hard work really. It left a poor impression.

Went there a couple of years ago and found great terrain variety, relatively quiet, great scenery, and good tree runs. I had a ball and would go back any time. In another thread someone was discussing weather conditions and it's effect on perceptions of how good a resort is, well there you go.
snow report
My resort for this was Le Corbier in the Les Sybelles - surprisingly good skiing to and from about 6 different villages and cheap as chips compared to the 3Vs and Tarentaise and really friendly and an adventure and a giggle getting the steep drag across to other villages. But because of the high-rise buildings I would expect anyone that wants a more chocolate box environment and a real state of the art lift system to hate it.
This is another thread on here that proves what a marmite pastime skiing is and proves why most of the comments that state loves and hates on here should be taken with a large pinch of salt and just counted as opinions only and not as gospel.
For instance, someone on here liked Valmeinier - I was very underwhelmed by it, to the point that I wouldn't go back there by choice. But it's my opinion and I don't necessarily expect anyone to share it. And I really enjoyed La Plagne which on other threads and on here gets a bit of a going over but lots of people I know also love it.
Depends on where you stay, with whom, the weather, the snow and one week can be totally different from another.
However as someone else very accurately stated within another similar thread - anywhere with snow and some slopes beats the office, so if Valmeinier was the only option I'd bite someone's hand off to return there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy