Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choosing boots

Poster: A snowHead
hi all,

total noob question:

Have just booked an appointment for boot fitting (my first).

Do you guys normally buy the boots elsewhere and bring to the shop for fitting or do you normally purchase the boot as part of the fitting process?

Comments are appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, different boot models all have different shell dimensions and fits so wait until you get to the fitters and let them guide you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
redbaron51, as above. Normal process is boot fitter selects boot(s) that are closest to your foot in appropriate stiffness, etc. You mutually find the one that you like best. She/he then "tunes" it to your foot.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This general advice isn't that bad at all: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/ski-wear/ski-boots/10405398/Ski-boots-15-tips-before-you-buy.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its easy, let the fitter do his/her job (who are you booked with?), be honest about your skills and ambition, and buy the boots the fitter says best suit you and your skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
guys, thanks a lot for the info, much appreciated......

by the comments from this forum, I am quite sure that I will be in good hands....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
redbaron51, please let us know what direction you are looking at going, working on a boot you bring in and fitting one from scratch take different amounts of time and need to be booked in as such
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
redbaron51, If you are off to see CEM (assumption) first thing take plenty of cash or an empty credit card. He and his team are very good at their job, secondly put more time on the car parking than you think as they don't cut corners with the assessment, selection and fitting process.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And if going to see CEM (or any other good fitter) don't be surprised if they tell you what boot you need then where to go and get it from as they don't stock it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1, i am going to suggest that you over egg the cost. Well I suppose what your credit card limit is.... Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dear Red Barronsi
The most important point when you are buying boots is the colour.
I have found I ski much slower when I wear grey boots and I dont feel so confident.
But when I have my yellow boots on .. I'm king of the mountain!
Well, that's until I've clipped them into the skis.
After that its a different story.

But seriously ... Go to the boot fitter with an open mind
Wear a blindfold so you are not tempted by brand loyalty, how many buckles, price, colour.
Just fit.
When you have tried on every boot in the shop and found the most comfortable ones, take the blindfold off.
You will be dissapointed ... because they will be dish cloth grey in colour.

They still wont fit and the fitter will upsell you onto a pair of custom fitted silly things he heated up for the last customer.
Dont be worried they still wont make them fit .... but you can try them in the ones you really like the look of.

Somehow they will magically fit even though the blood is seeping through buckle screws.
Dont worry after a few seasons they will eventually fit, your feet will change shape over time, even though they wont look as trendy.

But the last piece of advice is really important .... dont take them off before you leave the shop ...
pay for them and hobble out to your car with them still on, otherwise the boot fitter will swap them for another
pair that are slightly too small. So you'll have to go through the same rigmarole next season.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been skiing for 52 seasons. I can't count how many boots I've had. A little over 10 years ago I was this close to giving up because I couldn't get boots to work. Then I found Jeff Bergeron. It has changed my skiing... and, as a result, my life.

Boots are primarily about mating your own individual physiology to your skis. The shape of your body, your legs, your feet, and more all go into the equation. As a small example, I have very short feet for a guy my height (6' tall, wear 8.5 US street shoes and 25 mondo ski boots). As a result, boots pitch me forward (the toe and heel lugs are the same height for all boots, so shorter boots have a greater angle). Jeff took this, the strength and flexibility of my feet, the tracking of my knees, and more into account when he put me into my first pair of boots with him more than 10 years ago. He's just put me into my third pair since I started working with him.

So, follow the boot expert you choose. Make sure they look at your knees without pants on (and no socks, either!). If they slap you into boots and ask how they feel, leave. It's about how your feet and legs work and the boots that will complement your natural movement.

I can't emphasize it enough: your boots are your most important piece of kit. By far!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
ansta1, i am going to suggest that you over egg the cost. Well I suppose what your credit card limit is.... Twisted Evil

my credit limits added could buy a small house, a very fast car or a week in Courchevel Very Happy

Whilst i didnt bat an eyelid when i paid Colin for my very nicely fitted Atomic Trackers, others might, when you compare them to some of the headline prices i some of the other retailers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yup, the two proper boot fitters I have been to did a great deal of measuring, prodding and looking at my feet and ankles before coming out with one or two boots that would suit. And the second one totally backed up the first boot as being very good quality and well fitting. The only problem was that the recommended boot was actually brightly coloured in red and black and not dish cloth grey Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Color is always in the eyes of the beholder, wot? Here are my new ones...
snow report
ssh, ooohhhh nice.
snow conditions
I have these for sale, almost brand new touring boot and half price hint hint

IMGP1658
latest report
Avalanche Poodle, you didn't mention the size...?
snow conditions
Sorry, I should have linked. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101580 I'm selling because I got a very cheap pair of Atomic Tracker bindings which need a non rockered alpine DIN sole so would have to do surgery on the soles to make them fit and release.

Dynafit One U touring boot almost new - worn only 3 times. 28.5, 314mm sole. £210 ono
snow report
These boots felt quite comfortable today
That's because there dish cloth grey!
It will be a different story when the snow comes though
ski holidays

I thought they needed cheering up
snow conditions
DrLawn, Laughing
snow report
I was think of getting your mate Jeff to fettle my feet, but your not exactly local to me ssh,
If you've been at it that many seasons ... you must remember the boots we had to lace up, that mounted in the so called "safety binding" with an almighty cable and rat trap.
And professional soccer players smoked a pipes on the pitch!
Talking of that, your crowd in Boulder are all going around smoking pipes again!
snow conditions
DrLawn, you got it all 100%, my friend... Although I was fortunate, indeed, that my first boots were plastic-covered leather with buckles, and my first bindings were Cubcos!
ski holidays
Ah, ssh, you had those modern fancy boots .. but you could not go down the pub in those.
But I bet those binding were for opening up at the back and "skinning up".

I've just found some useful information on how to get out if you fall through the ice:
http://www.lake-link.com/icefishing/icesafetyvideo.cfm

I'm hoping to go ice fishing next month but I'm a little concerned.
snow conditions
I think I'll start a new thread. ... tomorrow!
Good night or Good Evening in Boulder.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
Ah, ssh, you had those modern fancy boots .. but you could not go down the pub in those.
But I bet those binding were for opening up at the back and "skinning up".

I've just found some useful information on how to get out if you fall through the ice:
http://www.lake-link.com/icefishing/icesafetyvideo.cfm

I'm hoping to go ice fishing next month but I'm a little concerned.
Holy Canadian, Mate!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy