Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Least favourite resort

Poster: A snowHead
Pamperova horrible place
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surely, Bulgaria should be disqualified from this competition. Never been there but it is my least favourite resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Confession...earlier on in this thread I suggested Verbier came a close second to L2A as a place I like least
However, if you were given a free holiday to the place you liked the least would you take it (excepting Tamworth)?.

Guess what? Him indoors was phoned today by the Daily Telegraph ski man...and we have won a week in a chalet apartment that sleeps 6 in Verbier..... (we are so stunned we await the actual details, but am assuming that it's true)

I now realise that if I won a holiday to "Verbs Darling" I'd go. Even if it is the first week in April and the snow will be mush. Plus I'll never grumble about the £19 each we paid to get into the ski show in London last weekend which led to our being press ganged into entering the Daily Torygraph prize draw.
Yippee! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In defence of Andorra, I may be looking at it through rose-tinted goggles as the place I first went skiing, but Soldeu is fine. I'm sure there are better places, but it's pretty relaxed and has the feeling of an actual village, not just a collection of appartments. I like it - there, I said it.

The stop in Pas de la Casa on the way back to the airport, however, felt like visiting Grozny.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perty, Laughing congratulations!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perty,
Let me know if you need someone to make up the numbers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perty,
Quote:

I now realise that if I won a holiday to "Verbs Darling" I'd go. Even if it is the first week in April and the snow will be mush.

The snow will only be mush if you pick the wrong slopes at the wrong time of day. Verbier has plenty of good high skiing and north facing skiing, April skiing is usually great if you pick your slopes correctly. You should have a great time, though the extras may not be cheap.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Juddernaut wrote:
Perty,
Let me know if you need someone to make up the numbers.
I
The queue is already forming! Madeye-Smiley
I remind myself that my best day skiing last season was 6th April when we did the Vallee Blanche from Courmayeur in about 8 inches fresh un skied powder at the top...so fingers crossed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
surely ski resorts are like beer and cider?.......No such thing as a bad one just some are better than others!! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perty, You lucky Bastwerd, I shall be forwarding this thrad to the editor of Ski and Board and requesting that the draw is made again NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamonix. Hated the place. Nightmare to get from one mountain to another and the bus service was awful.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anybody been sufficiently bored to trawl through this thread to see whether we have a winner?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No but from some of the comments I have read it has to be L2A?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I expressed my not-so-favourable views on L2A before. But it will be a bit harsh to call it the "worst".
It has all - altitude, glacier, fairly modern lifts, ok snow, ok nightlife, one of the best pizzas I ever had etc.. I even liked the village setting.
I would not mind it if they will advertise it as 80-100km resort Wink
but 200km come on, it is well exaggerated, for 200km resort you expect to have a new areas to explore at least for 2 or 3 days. In LD2A however, you end up going up in the same direction to the top and skiing a few good runs to the second station of the gondola. Everything below seemed to be pointless for repeated runs and just not good.

(bar in mind I have only been there once, if it was dirty cheap I would go again, but not for similar money I can go somewhere else)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Has anybody been sufficiently bored to trawl through this thread to see whether we have a winner?

I'd say L2A and La Plagne were close runners with Andorra not too far behind. I suspect that Bulgaria gets less criticism by virtue of the fact that not many have actually been when compared to mainstream resorts.
I've crossed a number of places off my 'to do' list as a result of this thread so thanks.
snow report
Perty wrote:
Confession...earlier on in this thread I suggested Verbier came a close second to L2A as a place I like least
However, if you were given a free holiday to the place you liked the least would you take it (excepting Tamworth)?.

Guess what? Him indoors was phoned today by the Daily Telegraph ski man...and we have won a week in a chalet apartment that sleeps 6 in Verbier..... (we are so stunned we await the actual details, but am assuming that it's true)

I now realise that if I won a holiday to "Verbs Darling" I'd go. Even if it is the first week in April and the snow will be mush. Plus I'll never grumble about the £19 each we paid to get into the ski show in London last weekend which led to our being press ganged into entering the Daily Torygraph prize draw.
Yippee! Very Happy

Congratulations, great prize.
snow conditions
Over the years I only have bad memories of a school trip to a place called "Caspoggio" or something similar as a school trip in the seventies. There was no snow, so it was a one hour bus trip to go skiing and a one hour trip back. Not a reflection on the resort I guess, but certainly a black mark in my memory.

Maybe I should take a trip there when it's puking with snow to balance my views. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Ade57 wrote:
Chamrousse. More dangerous intersections than I've ever seen; piste maintenance so bad as to be almost non existent; many parts as ugly as I've seen; dangerous loading of lifts etc. The only resort I've ever communicated with to voice concerns.
Chamrousse is awesome, owned a apartment there for 3 years, worth every minute!
ski holidays
Solden: For the town, the place deserves to be knocked down completely, strip club signs on the otherwise perfect slopes!
snow report
There are a few places I wouldn't rush back to; Les Deux Alpes - horrible home runs, too many 'roads', uninspiring town. It was YEARS ago that I last went though, so it may have improved. I didn't like Serre Chevalier either, I didn't like the layout of the place, the town we stayed in was absolutely dead, and there was a lot of walking and getting the bus. Again, it was years ago that I went, and I know many on here love the place.

I loved the skiing in Flaine, but sadly the resort itself (aside from being ugly as sin) was deserted at night, I wonder where everyone went! I do tend to agree about Meribel as well. I stayed in Mottaret which is a pain to get to, and I remember a nasty, crowded icy red to ski back to it. The 3Vs is such a fabulous ski area though, I don't think I'd mind too much staying in Meribel itself. I'm off to Courchevel (IN FOUR WEEKS WOO-HOO!), and that's all about the skiing rather than the nightlife which is too expensive to bother with.

I wouldn't go back to Pila, it takes FAR too long to get up the mountain in the morning. Nassfeld was fun for a change, but there were too many T-bars, a busy home run crowded with beginners, and a big lift queue every morning because there's only one main gondola to get you up the mountain. Also very limited apres.

That said, I'd rather go to any of those places than be at work!
snow report
Perty, many congrats, can I come? Little Angel
snow conditions
La Toussuire. Maybe I'm the only snowhead to visit there? Uglier than L2A, Les Menuires and La Plagne. Lacking in quantity and quality of pistes and lifts. Wouldn't return to La Toussuire if it was free.
snow conditions
intermediate, 300km in Les Sybelles area, can't see how that's lacking in quantity. Quality and architecture I'll give you. Haven't stayed there but over at St Sorlin. Price is a definite plus.
latest report
I suspect that my 9 weeks in Les Deux Alpes will be nice and quiet this winter given the feeling on here wink
snow report
intermediate, uglier than Les Menuires is a hell of an achievement!
snow report
Quote:

intermediate, 300km in Les Sybelles area, can't see how that's lacking in quantity.

Granted Claude B, it was a long time ago and I expect the links to other areas have improved since. Perhaps I would try it again, if it was free. Back in the day it was a relief to be taken by coach up to Les Karellis for a few days of light relief.
In defence of L2A it had a decent heated pool.
ski holidays
La Molina - probably marred by having next to no snow when we went so when it finally got cold enough to get the snow canons running we had about 2 runs open but enough for the TO to no longer bus us over to Andora to make good on their snow guarantee. This was a long time ago mind.
latest report
Actually La Toussuire isn't even the ugliest resort in Les Sybelles. That honour goes to Le Corbier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B, I've stayed in Le Corbier on my second week skiing. My vague recollection is that it was no oil painting but all I really remember is having a great time skiing. I suspect that I would now take more notice of the architectural merits or lack of. wink
ski holidays
geepee, I only skied down to it from St Sorlin, the architecture is pretty brutal.
latest report
Claude B wrote:
Actually La Toussuire isn't even the ugliest resort in Les Sybelles. That honour goes to Le Corbier.

Agreed. Le Corbier is pretty ugly but I'd return to Les Sybelles in a heartbeat. Had a great time there in March (stayed in Saint Jean but skied from Saint Sorlin most days). Never seen so many one piece suits older than I am.
ski holidays
Well if you really don't want to go to Verbier blahblahblah I'll take it off your hands.!
I think its a great place certainly one of the best places to ski in the alps!
ski holidays
Hi Claude!
Hows it going?
ski holidays
DrLawn, couldn't agree more, haven't been there for years but when I lived in CH in the 80's I skied there loads and loved it. Why is it seemingly so disliked now?
snow report
DrLawn, Good, you?

I shall return to Les Sybelles sometime, I went at half term in 2006 and 2007.
latest report
intermediate wrote:
La Toussuire. Maybe I'm the only snowhead to visit there? Uglier than L2A, Les Menuires and La Plagne. Lacking in quantity and quality of pistes and lifts. Wouldn't return to La Toussuire if it was free.

We're off to La Toussuire for half-term, so hope you're remembering through poo-poo coloured glasses. Still, I'm obviously no connoisseur as we've been to L2A for the last 3 Christmases (guaranteed skiing, great hotel, fabulous instruction courtesy of Easiski.
latest report
Quote:

We're off to La Toussuire for half-term, so hope you're remembering through poo-poo coloured glasses. Still, I'm obviously no connoisseur as we've been to L2A for the last 3 Christmases (guaranteed skiing, great hotel, fabulous instruction courtesy of Easiski.

snowlamb, yes I think my view of La Toussuire may be a bit jaundiced. We had a lousy hotel, with the worst food ever and it was a late Easter, so the snow was poor. With February snow and much better links to the expanded Les Sybelles area I'm sure it will be great. Based on views of several snowheads I may well return and give it another try myself!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy