Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Least favourite resort

Poster: A snowHead
We often comment on our favourite resort but what is your least favourite and why? Mine was La Plagne, I found it completely devoid of charm, character or soul.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At the moment, Flaine is the one at the bottom of the "I really must get back there some time" list. Far too many other places to visit and revisit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bansko, wild dogs and queues! Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamrousse. More dangerous intersections than I've ever seen; piste maintenance so bad as to be almost non existent; many parts as ugly as I've seen; dangerous loading of lifts etc. The only resort I've ever communicated with to voice concerns.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
joemalone, I agree with you. I didn't like La Plagne, it felt very bitty with a few clusters of soulless accommodation and no real resort centre. The skiing area seemed really boring, lots of very easy samey pistes plus it wasn't helped by having terrible snow conditions when I was there. I stayed in Plagne 1800 which looked big but was essentially all apartments, no shops to browse, bars to hop, just one very expensive restaurant. The mountain huts felt very much like motorway service stations. Admittedly this was 20 years ago but I've never been in any hurry to go back.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a least favourite country. I was entirely unimpressed by Andorra as a place. The only good thing going for it was cheap booze. Vast numbers of drunk/stupid/out of control people, mostly snowboarders, restaurants filled with smoke (though I think this has now changed) and the whole place just felt like Butlins for skiiers. But worse.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia wrote:
joemalone, I agree with you. I didn't like La Plagne, it felt very bitty with a few clusters of soulless accommodation and no real resort centre. The skiing area seemed really boring, lots of very easy samey pistes plus it wasn't helped by having terrible snow conditions when I was there. I stayed in Plagne 1800 which looked big but was essentially all apartments, no shops to browse, bars to hop, just one very expensive restaurant. The mountain huts felt very much like motorway service stations. Admittedly this was 20 years ago but I've never been in any hurry to go back.

It was 15 years ago since I was there and I'm still not hurrying to go back either!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mistress Panda wrote:
I have a least favourite country. I was entirely unimpressed by Andorra as a place. The only good thing going for it was cheap booze. Vast numbers of drunk/stupid/out of control people, mostly snowboarders, restaurants filled with smoke (though I think this has now changed) and the whole place just felt like Butlins for skiiers. But worse.

That's exactly how I pictured Andorra and the reason I've never been. Good to have it confirmed though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mistress Panda, agreed. My second least favourite place after La Plagne was Pas De La Casa. Revolting looking town, full of drunken idiots, tacky takeaway and gift shops and choked with traffic. The skiing was pretty dull too. Soldeu looked much nicer from what I could see from the pistes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with Mistress Panda. I did enjoy skiing with the mad guide we had, but Pas de la Casa was a dump.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tamworth
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musher wrote:
I agree with Mistress Panda. I did enjoy skiing with the mad guide we had, but Pas de la Casa was a dump.

If only the travel brochures were more realistic... ' Shocked Our guides might be mad, our town might be a dump but hey, our beer is cheap'
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting question, with proper research and the aid of snowHead we shouldn't really end up in a resort we don't like.......

I liked the skiing in La Plange, large area with great off piste, found the gondola out of the centre very bury at times despite being quiet season. Stayed in 1800 in it was like a morgue but went with a big group so made our own fun. Was iffy conditions and the home run to 1800 we're deadly.

I've liked everywhere I've been, I think what I've learned is all resorts have positives and negatives.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 5-11-13 15:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
Tamworth

Not sure that's classed as a resort Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
joemalone wrote:
DB wrote:
Tamworth

Not sure that's classed as a resort Laughing

Not even last resort...?
snow report
Tamworth, it's not the end of the world but you can see it from there. wink
snow report
Mistress Panda, how many places have you been to in Andorra, I have seen some lovely pics and vids of skiing there?

Mine is probably Ischgl which seems to be a lot of peoples favourite. I didn't really find many runs I loved to ski all day, lots of them seemed to be exactly the same running down at the same angle on the same slope and funneling to a central point. The home run was horrendous, think I only skied it once, not a lot of space between the pistes so not a huge amount of easy off piste, maybe I was in a bad mood for the 2 weeks I was there but it just seemed a bit Puzzled
snow conditions
Borovets - for all of the reasons people above appear to dislike Andorra. Plus it was particularly sleazy.
snow conditions
More marketing material for the local tourism board. 'Tamworth, the last resort'
ski holidays
[quote="particularly sleazy.[/quote]

Please elaborate?
ski holidays
Les Deux Alpes is the ONLY place I have been that I would not happily return to.
snow conditions
Joemalone - I formed the opinion, based on my own observations and conversations with local ski instructors, that a lot of the bars and restuarants were operated by local organised crime groups. Invariably, these establishments employed attractive young ladies who were seldom appropriately dressed for the weather conditions in the resort. I'll leave it at that.
ski holidays
Though it is now in the mists of time, my least fave resort I realise was the first ski resort I ever went to-Les Deux Alpes. Having said that, the holiday itself was a blast off the piste. 24 of us, in 2 next door chalets with overspill into a hotel and lots of duty free gin, at an age when you could ski all day and dance all night!

Problem with L2A- as a complete beginner, it was 1992, the year of the Albertville Olympics. Every man and his dog had put off taking their holiday in France until after the Olympics were over. I.e. Our week. I recall queuing for 40mins for each lap of the nursery slope drag lifts, a crap instructor, and agonising aching legs. No chance of skiing off the mountain itself as a beginner, as the slopes were either devoid of snow, or too difficult. I recall up the mountain having to queue for yet more lifts (a vigorous punch up in the queue for the gondola between 2 French blokes who lurched at each other across the sinking barriers was entertaining!).

Despite it all though, a skier-me- was born Little Angel

P.S. I shall now offend many others when I say I'm not a fan of Verbier either......sorry Embarassed
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Les Deux Alpes is the ONLY place I have been that I would not happily return to.

Why?
snow report
joemalone wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Why?

'cause he's got good judgement wink
snow conditions
Sauze - done a couple of weeks there and wouldn't return - the skiing is a bit limited
livigno - a pain to get around and I never got the hang of those bus routes Embarassed
snow conditions
Done already, 10 pages worth.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93009&highlight=
Not much consensus or agreement. But no surprise really. If 90% of people thought resort ABC was she-ite then it wouldn't exist.
latest report
joemalone, agree re La Plagne, soulless. Also Zermatt, vastly overrated IMO and dark town. Les Gets.....boring skiing and again town uninspiring.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, yes agree L2A was not the best. Noisey at night, real bottleneck for ski ing half way down the mountain. Snow was ok when we were there but the place was not for me
snow report
Layne, yup

Quote:

Les Gets

and that's on my list of places I'd like to go back to (and did on a bike too).
latest report
I don't think there is anywhere I've been that I wouldn't go back to (although when planning a trip the cry of ABC goes up - Anywhere But Chamonix). I've always had great skiing wherever I've gone. La Plagne was disappointing for night life.
ski holidays
halfhand, there isn't any nightlife in La Plagne is there?
latest report
Val Thorens. Bleak, ugly, busy and the famous late season snow was crap compared to that available in lower, prettier parts of the 3V by the end of last season.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-11-13 17:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
In Europe, Cervina leaves me cold. Figuratively and literally.

Wyndham and Hunter Mtn in NY wouldn't have me jumping into the car again either.
snow report
France... that's my least favourite resort. Closely followed by the whole of Sweden.
snow report
halfhand, what did you not like about Cham? Mind you, I appreciate that it's a little Marmite for some.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
France... that's my least favourite resort. Closely followed by the whole of Sweden.

Austria for me.
ski holidays
Flaine for me.
snow conditions
Scotland, "how dare ye" I hear them shout Shocked , but jeez I can't remember ever having good/great snow in Scotland, been back about 8 times to all the resorts, but always just end up with rain and wind in my face, and heather up me jacksie..... Laughing Laughing

And yes I have given up now lol...
snow conditions
neilkav wrote:
but always just end up with rain and wind in my face, and heather up me jacksie..... Laughing Laughing

You are Paul McCartney and I claim my €5 Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy