Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

thin silk glove liners

Poster: A snowHead
One of our group really struggles with cold fingers this is even after investing in a pair Hestra gloves at £170 and wearing liners inside them. I have an ultra thin silk top which i purchased in america and really cant remember the name of and the label has now faded but it keeps me toasty warm even though it is so thin it is almost see through. So I am trying to find some ultra thin silk glove liners which can be worn in addition to the glove liners and actual gloves ie 3 layers on the hands.

anyone know where i can get them from or anything similar.

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Decathlon.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MogulMonkey, I don't know if there will be a list of exhibitors anywhere that might give you a clue, but there was a stall at the Manchester ski show that was selling those very things - about £13 a pair IIRC, maybe someone else will remember the name for you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or a Go Outdoors.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 Decathlon £8 pp
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Patra £11.95 pp
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Decathlon silk liners are £10 for 2 pairs just now. Absolute bargain.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or any motorcycle clothing shop. I got mine from Hein Gericke.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I paid over £20 for my Dainese ones for the motorbike, but they are better inners than anything else I've tried. Available any good bike shop, I got mine from P & H in Crawley.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MogulMonkey, If your frind uses fingergloves - then stop it! Use this glove:

http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-mitt/#en/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-mitt/

liners can be found her:

http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/liners/#en/gloves/liners/

and try the Merino Wool liners.

If that does not work - give up skiing. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Surprised that a lot of people don't realise why hands and feet get so cold. I used to get really cold hands until I did some Google research. Make sure you keep your core (torso) nice and toasty and that helps massively. Basically stops your organs screaming for blood which equates to heat and allows more blood to remain in the extremities.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
swishtony, basicly you are right but other factors do have influence, f. eks. if you are a 40 kg. lady it dose matter over a long day outside.

The main los of heat is the heads- so ninja-hat and helmet vil help the core temperatur -however I have tried this glove in 3 finger version with liner for my females.

It dos work (for 40 kg lady).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hyst, yes of course, just making the point that I think a lot of people get tied up too much over the gloves and don't think enough about warming their core. Defo makes a difference on which gloves you use of course but even if you have the ultimate gloves, if your core is cold, they won't help much.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MogulMonkey,

To echo a little of the above, I looked at doing a Snowshepherd silk glove liner for this season and after testing some, last season, from the main manufacturer of silk glove liners then I would suggest that the cheaper ones are not really worth it, the pair we tested I failed and would not dream of selling them. The trade cost to me was only £3 but they were the same glove as many people sell at about 13 to 20 Shocked

The best I have seen around are the Hestra ones but a little on the expensive side!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MogulMonkey, My wife has a pair of Hestra mitts which came with an angora inner glove included. I've been trying to find the model on the website but I can't be sure. We bought them in Sweden whilst on a very cold ski trip a couple of years back. They are extremely warm. She rarely uses the inner but when they're needed they really do the job. Mitts are the way to go if you suffer with cold hands but I'd also endorse swishtony's comments. Even make sure socks and boot inners are dry before your day. It makes a huge difference. Maintaining energy is also essential. I carry a bag of nuts and raisins. You'd be surprised the difference a couple of handfuls can make after a cold lift ride.
ski holidays
MogulMonkey, Found that Hestra mitt. Its's the aptly named 'Cozy Mitt.'
snow report
Proper breakfast, warm core is key. Don't buy Icebreaker silk liners, they are lousy quality, go cheap at Go Outdoors and throw them away when they rip and buy new.....in my experience they'll get lost or rip after a few days, not worth going expensive! Nothing worse than cold hands, also ensure your outers aren't too tight. Lastly keep moving and plenty of arm exercises before you start skiing.....whirlies etc, gets blood flowing out from your core to extremeties.
snow report
If silk liners are hard to find consider basic thin running gloves such as are periodically available in Lidl Aldi or runing stores. SportsDirect do karrimor liners as well for a couple of quid IIRC.
snow report
Lady Flashman, who is of a slight build, suffers very badly from cold and poor circulation in her hands. She's also an expert skier, so spends a lot of time on the slopes. After years of experimenting with expensive gloves, liners, heate gloves etc, she (and I) found that the best solution are some Gore-Tex overmittens (as snowboarders use) and a pair of decent winter cycling gloves inside (relatively thin, but still insulated). Also works out as a pretty cheap solution. Silk liners can go in there too, for extra warmth. I have not found that these liners help that much on their own stuffed into a glove - it is the warm air space between glove and mitt that seems to work so well. I don't suffer from cold in the same way, but when it's below -15 or so, I go to mitts with gloves inside. Has never let me down. The Gore Tex thing (or similar) is good, as damp makes things much colder, faster.

A very expensive pair of Hestra gloves did nothing for her - the layering effect of glove inside mitt is what sorted things out (which isn't really surprising, given that it is layering your torso in cold weather that keeps you warm, not a single, expensive layer with many components).

Also, as others have said, you need a warm core to to keep circulation flowing properly. Again, look to your layers. Carry a backpack too that if you get too hot you can remove a layer and stow it.

Hope that helps!
snow report
Hyst wrote:
MogulMonkey, If your frind uses fingergloves - then stop it! Use this glove:

http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-mitt/#en/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-mitt/

liners can be found her:

http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/liners/#en/gloves/liners/

and try the Merino Wool liners.

If that does not work - give up skiing. Sad

While the mitts will be warmer than the gloves, the Hestra insulation is basically crap, even with silk or merino liners. Been there, done that, wasted the money.

No need to give up skiing though.

For those who have good circulation but scant body fat to keep you warm, own excellent insulating garments to cover the core but still get cold hands, nothing short of mitts with 200g Primaloft insulation will do.

I found nirvana last season in a pair of Black Diamond Mercury mitts. They are, by far, the best and warmest things I've ever worn on my hands (and still have the dexterity to grip ski poles).
snow report
No problem at all with my Hestra gloves, have had 3 pairs, brilliant!
ski holidays
1 pair Hestra gloves, 1 pair Hestra mitts. Perfect for me.
latest report
Feast, Ditto, I have gloves and also a pair of those half mitt/ half glove type......toasty!
snow conditions
On my 2nd pair of Hestra gloves. I made the mistake of buying the first pair "snug" fitting. This is all wrong as the tightness acts as a cold bridge and you just end up with freezing fingers. 2nd pair were larger and mittens. I never get cold hands now even without liners.
latest report
A lake district merino brand EDZ has merino, silk and merino silver touch ph glove liners they have no seams in them £10 £12 and £15.
Not used them yet but they seem ok the merino supposedly 240 weight hats were not bad at a tenner either
snow report
tobymory wrote:
On my 2nd pair of Hestra gloves. I made the mistake of buying the first pair "snug" fitting. This is all wrong as the tightness acts as a cold bridge and you just end up with freezing fingers. 2nd pair were larger and mittens. I never get cold hands now even without liners.

This is an important point - you need a little insulating warm air around your hands!
snow report
My hestras keep my hands warm, down to minus 25 .
ski holidays
lots of feedback so thanks to all...

many suggestions but he is an expert skier (20yrs expereince 2 times /year) and has never mastered the art of warm fingers. he managed to injure his ankle 2 days before we went early '13 only to find out he had a fractured ankle when we got home - he was sill better than me on one leg Evil or Very Mad

it seems like mitts with inner gloves are the way to go so will suggest this as the way forward...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear these over gloves... http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/clothing-accessories/all-gloves-mitts/tuff-bags/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy