Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving across France without Using Toll Roads

Poster: A snowHead
Boris wrote:
And suppose there is the option that a lot of freight will switch to N roads?

Well the ecotaxe is primarily aimed at nationales and departmentales, it's not actually meant to be used on toll roads so if anything it might make some of them reconsider and start paying the tolls. I've no idea though, not heard any discussion of that and have no idea how much a toll is for a truck. Weird thing I've noticed using the French motorway network is that the majority of trucks are either Spanish, Luxembourg, Eastern European or British. Very rarely see French plated ones except for up near the ports.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
same in Germany, but trucks are from much much further afield. Portugal, Turkey, Lithuania are probably the most common I see around this way, but it depends on which autobahn to quite a big extent too.

as for trucks avoiding toll routes? well I'd assume the transport ministry would price them such that the added inconvenience, time, and in Germany the bans on HGVs in a lot of cities, would make the toll route the preferred option.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The gantries hold tracking sensors for the HGVs. All transit HGVs in Germany have a "Go" box which is used for the tracking and the tolls are effectively billed to the registered owners. I love watching all the cars brake just before them thinking they are traffic cameras. Laughing The real traffic cameras are usually mounted in the gantries with speed limits or other information on them, usually under the speed display. On certain stretches, the A9 for example, there are also measuring devices for the distance between vehicles but I'm not sure how the automatic ones work. On my regular commute I know where all the fixed cameras are, but you can still be caught by a mobile set up if you are not careful. A regular spot is at the entrance of the Samerberg Service area on the westbound side.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah there's one one the A3, literally 200m beyond an end of restricted speed limit sign. People still brake for it! Tailgater cams would be handy in places.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris wrote

Quote:

Ok so have a look at the cameras here http://about-france.com/geo/motorways.htm and tell me if this is what you saw.

Exactly the same things, so must be the ecotax gantry. Great pity they're not the speeding cameras because these are easier to spot than the tiny boxes on tripods Les Gendarmes seem to be using now for mobile sites. I know I shouldn't speed but the french autoroutes are just so much better than our clogged up arteries!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris wrote
Quote:

Ok so have a look at the cameras here http://about-france.com/geo/motorways.htm and tell me if this is what you saw.

Exactly as that so mystery solved thank-you. Shame really, I was hoping Les Gendarmes were making it easy for us again, but no such luck. I've had more on the spot speeding fines over there in the last year than in the last 10...& I've slowed down!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris wrote:

If so it would appear to be for a new means of tracking and charging HGVs, which the linked pages would seem to indicate won't ever happen!

yeah, thats what we saw Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="albinomountainbadger"]
Boris wrote:
not heard any discussion of that and have no idea how much a toll is for a truck. .

I couldnt believe it when i noticed the cost for lorries at the MB Tunnel the other day....500 euros!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'm pretty happy the Sat Nav can handle it

Laughing Shocked

I wonder how we ever managed to drive anywhere without satnav! A 20 year old Michelin road atlas will do it, no problem.

Yes, it takes longer but because it's so much less boring it doesn't always feel that much longer! However, the warning about speed limits is worth heeding. I did wipe out my entire saving on tolls by doing 42 mph through a completed deserted and depopulated rural village with no speed limit signs and being caught by a French policeman eating his sandwiches and sticking his thing out of the window. A useful lesson; anywhere with a name has a 30 mph limit even if it consists of 2 dilapidated barns and a café which closed shortly after the Second World War.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

being caught by a French policeman eating his sandwiches and sticking his thing out of the window

Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

I'm pretty happy the Sat Nav can handle it

Laughing Shocked

I wonder how we ever managed to drive anywhere without satnav! A 20 year old Michelin road atlas will do it, no problem.[quote]

I know that my family holidays before sat navs consisted of my mum not knowing quite where we were on the map followed by the fantastic words 'I think we should have come off there'. The row then started. I love my sat nav and credit it with allowing us to drive across France and still be speaking at the other end!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
A useful lesson; anywhere with a name has a 30 mph limit even if it consists of 2 dilapidated barns and a café which closed shortly after the Second World War.

Indeed. Worth just clarifying for those who do not know, it's the town signs with the red borders that constitute a 50kph limit. Sorry for the choice of road sign, but it was the only one that came up on a quick google images search:

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do the French still offer the Bison Futé options? I used to use that quite often when I lived in France to avoid the notorious bottle necks as well as get a cheaper trip because I was using any of the pay to drive sections of the motorway system. Plus it was less stressful as we automatically built in more travelling time to enjoy the countryside. Stayed in some wonderful Logis de France hotels using that system. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, Yes - still clearly signposted and marked on maps

pam w, I agree that we shouldn't become over-reliant on Sat-Nav, but they do have there uses. Particularly when the map reader isn't the best map reader in the world. I tend to use ours mainly for judging arrival times and lunch break stops
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris wrote:
eddiethebus wrote:
gixxerniknik wrote:

Talking of which, does anyone know what the new gantries are over the E401/E3 in between Caen & Rennes? There has to be over two dozen camera type things pointing at each carraigeway. Puzzled

went under a couple of very similar set ups around perigeuex the weekend, very weird, looks basically like a ton of camera's pointing at the different lanes, must have been about 5 cameras on each lane!?

Saw them in the summer and can only assume they are similar to the ANPR ones which you get on various UK m'ways

I might be wrong, having not seen the gantries in question, but they could well be those "ecotax" related gantries, of which a few have recently been vandalised in Brittany/France.

http://www.eurotunnelfreight.com/uk/about/eco-tax-in-France/
http://www.english.rfi.fr/economy/20131028-violent-protests-force-french-government-rethink-ecotax

Average speed cameras also do exist in France though...
snow report
I've done both. As others have said, the French use their motorways properly - you just whizz along and people have good lane discipline. Non-toll routes are fine for short distances, but for longer ones they take a *lot* longer than Google suggests.

Get to: http://www.aprr.fr/fr and buy yourself a tag; you get billed at the end of the month and don't even have to stop at the barriers. Especially useful since those frogs put all the payment terminals on the wrong side.... Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy