Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet ski carraige change

Poster: A snowHead
Most places it is hard or impossible to hire good skis which suit me with touring bindings (and skins cut to suit the skis).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"item must be a genuine sports good as defined" do you think this means you can't pack other items in the same bag ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FWIW just en route back from a weekend in Tignes. One roller ski bag with one pair of skis in it, poles, no boots, no shoes, no electronics, wash bag and very few clothes weight 19kgs on the way out and 19.8 on the way back...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stumbler wrote:
I don't know what others think, but for the cost of taking skis around I find it easier just to rent new gear in the resort.

The faff of getting it on and off the plane, squished into a hire car and getting it back is just proper hassle. At £70ish rtn for ski transport, £80odd to rent really good new skis is a no brainer. You can change skis during the week if you get a dump of powder or something, and you don't have to worry about rocks...

Yep. I look at those punters at the stations and airports lugging around / waiting for /paying for their ski bags and I think 'Why'?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:
Stumbler wrote:
I don't know what others think, but for the cost of taking skis around I find it easier just to rent new gear in the resort.

The faff of getting it on and off the plane, squished into a hire car and getting it back is just proper hassle. At £70ish rtn for ski transport, £80odd to rent really good new skis is a no brainer. You can change skis during the week if you get a dump of powder or something, and you don't have to worry about rocks...

Yep. I look at those punters at the stations and airports lugging around / waiting for /paying for their ski bags and I think 'Why'?

For me, first it is cheaper, although that isn't the most important thing.

Second, it means I have skis I know, and the first hour or two spent remembering which way to point them doesn't also involve learning how a new pair of skis behaves.

Third, it means that if I have an early flight (which is usually the case), I can get straight out to ski on arrival, without having to first go and join the crowd at the rental shop (which would usually take long enough to stop any chance of an afternoon skiing on arrival).

And fourth, when we have enough snow at home, I can go out and play on the hill behind the house Smile

I'm not sure I would have felt it worthwhile to pay for a pair of skis up front, but was lucky enough to win a pair in an online competition, and now I wouldn't be without them.

I don't find it much hassle, and nor do I find the costs listed above to be valid. I usually travel with a TO, and ski carriage is only about half what is suggested above, and checking with Intersport and Sport2000 for a resort I have been to in Austria (Ellmau) they both charge €107 (£89) for decent skis, or €134 (£111) for top of the range. So it is a saving of £50+ per trip for me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Has anyone actually purchased the Large Sport Equipment to take advantage of the extra 12kg?

Do you realistically think they might stop and go "Waaaait a minute, does that bag actually contain a 23kg bike, canoe, wind surfer or hang-glider/paraglider?!"

As much as I can afford to pay the baggage fees, I don't want to. In the same why that I dislike paying tax.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex-heney - My solution of just renting isn't perfect for everyone. For me, I quite like trying out new kit, and depending on your supplier, getting it delivered in time for your arrival is possible. So yes, you can get straight out on arrival.

I also have a couple of pairs at home for playing out in the garden when (1) it finally bloody snows and (2) I can get my home-made tow working.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick-o, loads of people have and reported it as fine on many threads on hee...but you;d best search for the latest info.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mmm.. you can pool your luggage at Bristol airport i.e. 2 x 20kg but when we returned from Chambery with 22kg in one bag and 18kg in the other, we were made to even out the bags to 20kg each. Plus as far as I was aware, the ski carriage was 12kg last year. Now it is 20kg we can get both sets of skis in one bag.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FWIW, the 20kg small sport equipment allowance made it possible to book on skis but no hold luggage on my last easyjet trip. The ski bag and boot bag with a few other items inside weighed just under 20kg, then clothes, helmet, etc went in hand luggage, which easily fitted in the size check rack. Saved me £29 I think, it all helps!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had to remove the chocolate from my ski bag on my last trip to reduce ski bag from 33 to 32 kg. No extra charge though from easy jet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave Canski, to be fair 32kg is one hell of a weight to be lifting and its a fair limit in my opinion.

We flew out with easy jet the other day and it was all very simple. 20kg per suitcase and 20kg per ski carriage and you could pool your total weight between your party so long as no one item was mire than 32kg. So much better than Ryan Air swapping 1kg from one bag to the other just for the sake of it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, I suspect they just dont know what they're talking about as the Easy Jet T&C certainly said you could pool your allowance. I hope Grenoble staff are a bit more informed as I will be making a stand if they say any different.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lechbob wrote:
"item must be a genuine sports good as defined" do you think this means you can't pack other items in the same bag ?

Well all our ski gear goes in with skis and if they want to argue I'll happily stick to my guns and point out you need underwear and tshirts and even toothbrushes for a weeks skiing so they are part of our skiing kit!
That said they have never batter an eyelid at the huge roller snowboard bags with quite obviously more than skis, boots and poles in them!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do you reckon it's still supposed to be only one set of skis in the bag? I want to take a couple of sets at 7kg each, so only 14kg in the bag, but wondering whether I'll still need to swing them around nonchalantly pretenting its only got one set of lightweight skis in the bag?!
latest report
Paul.W, I had two sets in one bag on the easyjet flight from Newcastle to Geneva and back again last week. It was clearly a bag designed for two skis and it was not questioned at all. Just weighed in the usual way. Looked like a few people were doing the same. We did have standard luggage as well.
snow report
In the airport now kicking myself, easy jet allow boots and skis as combined luggage and can be in separate bags.

As long as combined is less than 20kg.
ski holidays
I don't think the baggage handlers that check the skis in at the airport could care about what or how many pairs are in the bag. It is the weight and the dimensions that are the issue.
ski holidays
I travelled on 4 Jan from Belfast to Geneva with one large ski-bag only - ie 32kg limit under the old regime. When checking in I was told I was 10kg over the 20kg limit. I reminded them that I had booked before the change on 31 Oct and was within my 32kg limit I paid for, but to no avail. It was only when I showed them the email I had sought and received from Easyjet Customer Service, which confirmed that I was able to carry up to 32kg, that the bag was accepted without further charge.

On my return trip on the 11 Jan from Geneva I again had to produce the email to get the bag through. So if you have booked 32kg before the change in policy get something to wave at the check-in staff or you will have a nice little argument on your hands. Seems pathetic that I have to be telling Easyjet staff what their policy is, but there you go.
snow conditions
eithnem, well done you!
snow report
I travelled Liverpool - Geneva last week, and sure enough no problem or questions about the double ski (coffin) bag. Refreshing, well done Easyjet!
ski holidays
Paul.W, glad you had no problems. I think this new policy will help Easyjet bookings where people can choose between different airlines
snow report
If I take a double ski bag with 2 pairs skis, 1 pair boots and clothes, avi kit, etc weighing about 28kg - can I either:
1) Choose Large sports item and hence get 32kg allowance
OR
2) Choose Small sports item + hold luggage and get 40kg allowance combined BUT still only take the one double ski bag weighing 28kg. (is it ok that I only have the one bag)
latest report
As I understand it skis etc are defined as small sports equipment by easy jet and are charged as such. Your best bet is to pay for 20kg ski carriage and take your other 8Kg as hand luggage. You are allowed up to 20kg hand luggage as long as it fits in their dimensions and you can lift it into the locker.
snow conditions
@kevinraine,
My 2 pairs of skis + poles = 12.5kg 
Ski Boots = 5kg 
Helmet/Goggles = 1kg 
Avi Kit = 1kg 
Dakine double roller bag = 3.6kg 

So that's 23kg already just there. 

+ ski clothes, tshirts, etc, toiletries, = few more kgs 
So prob 26-28kg 
Hand luggage will be taken up with laptop, camera, adapters, etc.

Only way to get down to 20kg would be to take Ski Boots, Helmet/Goggles (6kg) as hand luggage, which would have to join already laptop, camera, adapters, etc - all in one hand luggage bag that fits boots AND a laptop AND a helmet???
Are Easyjet ok with taking ski boots as hand luggage?
Hmm, maybe I can do it... but if not do you know if any of those other 2 options are viable?
snow report
The only hand luggage restrictions are size 56 x 45 x 25 cm and max 20 kg.Plus restrictions on liquids etc. Ski boots are ok
snow report
Hand luggage of 20kg. Is that right? Is that in one piece. Sure quite a few poeple would struggle to lift that up into an overhead locker and even if they could I wouldn't like to be sitting underneath that if it fell out.
snow report
kevinraine wrote:
The only hand luggage restrictions are size 56 x 45 x 25 cm and max 20 kg.Plus restrictions on liquids etc. Ski boots are ok

Not quite correct. The dimensions are correct but easyJet have no weight limit for hand baggage.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Honestly, what is not to understand?

Quote:
You pay for: 0 bags, 1 large sports item

Total allowance 1 item @32kg total
This item must be a genuine sports equipment as defined

http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment.
snow conditions
altis wrote:
Honestly, what is not to understand?

Quote:
You pay for: 0 bags, 1 large sports item

Total allowance 1 item @32kg total
This item must be a genuine sports equipment as defined

http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment.

Well, do they allow skis to be classed as a LARGE sports item if you choose to?

Quote:
Small Sports Equipment (items up to 20kg) for example:

Golf equipment (including golf shoes);
Skis (including boots and poles);
Snowboards;
Sporting Firearms;
Diving Equipment (Gas or air cylinders are not permitted); and
Sporting Wheelchairs (unless this is one of the two items of mobility equipment per passenger), or

Large Sports Equipment (items up to 32kg) for example:

Bicycles;
Canoes;
Wind surfers; and
Hang-gliders
snow report
I think you are taking a risk. The list states that skis are Small Sports Equipment. The Large Sports Equipment does not include skis. They are quite clear - "This item must be a genuine sports equipment as defined." Skis are defined as Small so 20kg.
ski holidays
but is also says "for example", so there must be a bit a lee-way....

to be safe - pay for hold bag and ski bag (which is what I did in January)

althought i'm not sure they are bothered - you pay to take 32kg, what does it matter, to them, what is in the bag.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 13-03-15 11:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:
Who the hell has 32kg skis anyway? .

Anyone who'd rather take all their kit in one wheelie bag rather than faffing with separate boot bags, suitcases, ski carrier etc.

All my stuff, skis boots etc, comes to just over 20kg in the one double ski bag, with another 5kg in my rucksack.
snow conditions
albob wrote:
but is also says "for example", so there must be a bit a lee-way....

to be safe - pay for hold bag and ski bag (which what is did in January)

althought i'm not sure they are bothered - you pay to take 32kg, what does it matter, to them, what is in the bag.

Your are correct it does say "for example". And under "Small Sports Equipment (items up to 20kg)" they state skis! In my view they have defined skis as "Small Sports Equipment (items up to 20kg)". You are suggesting the OP can redefine skis as "Large Sports Equipment (items up to 32kg)". It doesn't work that way I'm afraid.

The chances are the OP will get a check-in agent who doesn't care. But as a weekly commuter on easyJet I have seen (and been on the receiving end) of ground staff applying the rules to the letter. Personally I would not want to start my holiday with an argument at the airport over what was in my bag and find myself going nowhere because I didn't want to take, or pay for, an extra bag. That is why this year when we went to GVA with Jet2 I paid an extra £35 for my son to have his own ski bag.

As I've already said, you can take as much weight as you like as handbaggage. The only restriction being the dimensions of the case. I have a trolley bag that fits exactly in to the sizer but even if I stuffed it full it is unlikely to get over 20kg.

Windskisurf - if you only wnat to take one bag and stay within 20kg why not ditch one pair of skis?
latest report
Quote:

2) Choose Small sports item + hold luggage and get 40kg allowance combined BUT still only take the one double ski bag weighing 28kg. (is it ok that I only have the one bag)

So, whats the discussion about? Do the above but take a boot bag or small case with your boots and other junk in. The EZY web site is very very clear: http://support.easyjet.com/case-4039

1 bag, 1 small sports item

Total allowance 2 items @ 20kg each
1 item must be genuine sports equipment as defined
You may distribute weight between items as desired

plus

A single item cannot weigh more than 32kgs in total.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy