Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet ski carraige change

Poster: A snowHead
Just checked in and been told that as of 31 October it's different again.

Maximum 20kg for a ski bag, it was 32kg when I booked.

Link here http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment.

Apologies if this has been covered before.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But another fiver each way gets you large sports equipment and 32Kg http://www.easyjet.com/en/fees-and-charges
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bladeskier, the full stop after your link is seen as part of it by the forum software, and an error page comes up. This will work:
http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know what others think, but for the cost of taking skis around I find it easier just to rent new gear in the resort.

The faff of getting it on and off the plane, squished into a hire car and getting it back is just proper hassle. At £70ish rtn for ski transport, £80odd to rent really good new skis is a no brainer. You can change skis during the week if you get a dump of powder or something, and you don't have to worry about rocks...

I have a couple of pairs of really good skis but these days just use them at the local ski club - more to save the faff factor than anything else.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OTOH, my skis are immediately available, with known good bindings, edges and bases. No trooping down to the hire shop, no havng to beat closing time to return them. And skis that behave in a way I am familiar with. And is ski hire for a week for top skis really that cheap, these days?

It is a hassle lugging skis around airports, or doing something like transferring between Paris railway stations, though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm with achilles on this, like having skis I know and know are set up just right. Plus I can usually get mine and the kids stuff in 2 of those huge coffin bags without any other luggage so do make a saving over rental particularly as we'd need hold luggage anyway for our boots.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bladeskier, Thanks for the head up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boots, I think, are always worth lugging around.

Skis - personal preference I guess and also perhaps depends how advanced you are. I have my own skis, which I love, and which I know so well they really are an extension of my feet, but they live in Switzerland.

I really don't think I would bother lugging them there and back if I had to, but then I have a deep personal hatred of the airline check-in experience as it is, which I can only overcome by putting myself into a kind of catatonic state and pretending I don't really exist as a sentient being (similar approach to that adopted by the airline Very Happy )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So the weight allowance has actually gone up. Will be interesting to see whether there are any problems if you just pay for a large sports equipment item and take a ski bag with all your equipment in, in a similar way to the old rules.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bollux. Fricken swindlers. They had a clear policy which was that your normal weight allowance attached to the individual not a suitcase so could be added to the 12kg of extra sports allowance. Obviously too many people got wise so they're screwing a bit more. Still there are always the morons at Swiss who made me unpack one boot and put it in a separate bag so as not to breach their single item cheapseat weight policy. No financial gain to them but they had an extra piece of luggage to handle.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
why are bikes charged at the large item rate but limited to 23kg?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drive, take all your toys!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lynseyf wrote:
why are bikes charged at the large item rate but limited to 23kg?

They've probably got shares in a bike shop - makes everyone buy 6kg superbikes...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^that's below the UCI minimum bike weight limit too Wink

I know some of the MTBers are complaining, since a DH bike and hard case is going to make things a bit more fun meeting the weight limits.

Not seen the ski rules change (but tbh I wasn't looking, and EZY don't fly from anywhere near here).

Assumed it was more to stop people stuffing ski/bike bags with other kit/clothes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Who the hell has 32kg skis anyway? Imagine trying to get something that heavy in and out of the car. Personally I don't have an issue with flying with skis, there's really not much carrying to be done; house to car, car to airport check-in desk (often with a shuttle bus thrown in), airport to transfer vehicle, transfer vehicle to accommodation, so maybe 100 yards of carrying, which with a decent handled ski bag is really no big deal. Ryanair charge £100 return for carrying skis which is a bit steep but I think Easyjet are a bit cheaper than that and the likes of Lufthansa are still free (wonder how much longer though!). I prefer to have my own skis than throw myself on the mercy of ski hire shops, some are fantastic admittedly, but I have had equally rubbish hire skis before too.
ski holidays
Me when mine and the kids gear have squeezed in one bag queen bodecia!
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Who the hell has 32kg skis anyway? .

Anyone who'd rather take all their kit in one wheelie bag rather than faffing with separate boot bags, suitcases, ski carrier etc.
ski holidays
How much is rental these days? I'd say £100 ish in France and a bit more in Austria for the better end? Do a couple of weeks a season and it soon racks up. I have my own and I like knowing the bindings are tip top and they've lovingly been serviced by my own fare hands!

Rental does have it's bonuses as you say if you get a dump you're covered. I travel solo allot so not a huge issue trying to fit loads of gear in cars etc. I take 2 sometimes 3 pairs to keep me covered for almost any eventuality. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
queen bodecia, we take our own skis and it is a bit of a ball ache when you also have kids stuff/luggage/kids themselves to organise. Eve's fine, aged 12 but Izzie is rather partial to being tugged along on her trunkie Wink
ski holidays
bladeskier, thanks for the heads up. I wonder where we stand legally having accepted the T&C at the time of booking and payment?
latest report
Ah, fair enough, I wasn't thinking of more than one pair per bag, wouldn't airlines charge more for that anyway?
snow report
That's rubbish about the bikes, I took my DH bike on Easyjet this year, had shoes, pads, clothes, tools in the bag and helmet as carry on and it came to pretty much spot on 32kg. Why should I have to pay the same for 23kg as someone with a 32kg hang-glider, what happens if I lock it and say it's a hang-glider??

That's discrimination, it's bike-ist
latest report
queen bodecia, funnily enough this is the first time I've booked in two ski carriage - I normally just book one and shove both pairs of skis in one bag. Never had a problem but it does weigh on your mind a bit so I booked 2 this time. Was still going to stick both in our double ski bag but that probs won't work now and we will need to get another bag.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
bladeskier, thanks for the heads up. I wonder where we stand legally having accepted the T&C at the time of booking and payment?

I haven't looked, but you'll have agreed to amendments to their T&C's, in their T&C's
snow report
Mosha Marc, yes, I did think that would be the case. Please excuse me while I turn around and bend over so they can continue to shaft me up the a***
ski holidays
Christ! easyjet are becoming increasingly like Ryanair!! So they are now saying:

Quote:
You can ‘pool’ your total luggage weight allowance – across items and across customers – but no individual item can weigh more than 32 kg.

Examples:
A passenger with two items of 20kg hold luggage has a total weight allowance of 40kg. So they could ‘pool’ their luggage allowance by bringing one bag weighing 23kg and one bag weighing 17kg.

Two passengers on the same booking, each with one 20kg item of hold luggage, have a total luggage allowance of 40kg. So they could ‘pool’ their combined luggage allowance by bringing one bag weighing 22kg and one bag weighing 18kg.

My brain's hurting now. While I fully understood the old regime (Check in bag + ski bag = max 32kg), how much can I now take as a check in bag + ski bag Puzzled Unless I'm missing it, it's now not spelled out like it used to be....Can I now take a total of 40kg instead of 32kg??

And I'm not happy about the bikes situation. How can they define a bike as a 'big' sports item - but give it a small allowance? I'm gonna struggle with my mountain bike and its heavy, padded bag.... Mad
snow conditions
From this link above
http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment
1 bag, 1 small sports item
•Total allowance 2 items @ 20kg each
•1 item must be genuine sports equipment as defined
•You may distribute weight between items as desired
ski holidays
I'm failing to see the big fuss....it sounds like its actually a better situation.....so previously 1 bag plus 1 ski bag means 32kg now the same bags are 40kg
my girl and I are travelling in Jan and I booked 2 hold bags and 1 ski carriage.

previous plan put boots in hold bags along with clothes and then 2 sets of skis in 1 ski bag. As long as the hold bags are 20kg each and the 1 ski bag is 12kg i'm good.

current plan....exactly the same but now the ski bag can be 20kg
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The main difference is that originally you could pay for just a ski bag and have 32 kg allowance. Not only was that easier to manage than 2 bags but cheaper as well.
ski holidays
Quote:

Drive, take all your toys!

This.

Load up the quiver and then feel righteous that you can choose from your selection depending on the conditions. Cool
ski holidays
enduroaid wrote:
I'm failing to see the big fuss....it sounds like its actually a better situation.....so previously 1 bag plus 1 ski bag means 32kg now the same bags are 40kg
my girl and I are travelling in Jan and I booked 2 hold bags and 1 ski carriage.

previous plan put boots in hold bags along with clothes and then 2 sets of skis in 1 ski bag. As long as the hold bags are 20kg each and the 1 ski bag is 12kg i'm good.

current plan....exactly the same but now the ski bag can be 20kg

If you book skis on they will take a boot bag, separately included in the price. So no need to jam them in the hold bag.

I don't get all the stress over this issue - in the grand scheme of things a few quid on the flight is neither here nor there in the overall cost of a ski trip.
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Christ! easyjet are becoming increasingly like Ryanair!! So they are now saying:

Quote:
You can ‘pool’ your total luggage weight allowance – across items and across customers – but no individual item can weigh more than 32 kg.

Examples:
A passenger with two items of 20kg hold luggage has a total weight allowance of 40kg. So they could ‘pool’ their luggage allowance by bringing one bag weighing 23kg and one bag weighing 17kg.

Two passengers on the same booking, each with one 20kg item of hold luggage, have a total luggage allowance of 40kg. So they could ‘pool’ their combined luggage allowance by bringing one bag weighing 22kg and one bag weighing 18kg.

My brain's hurting now. While I fully understood the old regime (Check in bag + ski bag = max 32kg), how much can I now take as a check in bag + ski bag Puzzled Unless I'm missing it, it's now not spelled out like it used to be....Can I now take a total of 40kg instead of 32kg??

IU can't see how it could be spelled out more clearly.

Yes, you can now take a total of 40Kg, which can be distributed between the two pieces as desired (subject to the general requirement that no piece of baggage be more than 32Kg)

Quote:

And I'm not happy about the bikes situation. How can they define a bike as a 'big' sports item - but give it a small allowance? I'm gonna struggle with my mountain bike and its heavy, padded bag.... Mad

Probably because of the size.

Although I'm surprised anybody has a bike weighing that much that they would feel worth taking with them.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
^^that's below the UCI minimum bike weight limit too Wink

Interesting maths rules in your world Smile

You couldn't quite get four minimum weight (6.8Kg) bikes into it.

Though of course by the taime you add a decent case for them, you probably won't get more than two.
snow report
Jet 2 only allow you 20kg for a bike. Pretty much impossible to get a hard case under that limit - bike box alan boxes are 14kg on their own! Can't see how you'd manage with an MTB.
latest report
For me, this is actually an improvement.
Previously total allowance if you bought ski carriage was 32kg - and it's now 40kg. Since I take a luggage back and a ski/boot bag separately, I'm in clover Very Happy
latest report
bladeskier, cheers for the heads up, I'm off with them on Thursday night, had paid for one ski bag only!!
snow conditions
alex_heney,
Quote:

Yes, you can now take a total of 40Kg, which can be distributed between the two pieces as desired (subject to the general requirement that no piece of baggage be more than 32Kg)
Perfect. Better than before.
snow report
For those that take 1 bag, it's not better than before
For those that take 2 bags, it's better than before
ski holidays
kitenski, yes agreed. Hoping for a smootyh check in with ski bag at next easyjet flight
snow report
Stumbler, Bindings are my main concern most rentals only cover a standard release value up to 12, which I pre release from, so got to bring my onw.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy