Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the five scariest Ski runs on Earth....

Poster: A snowHead
Arno, let me correct that for you:

Arno wrote:
Sharkymark, Lofoten Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile + 2 weeks in Vancouver Smile Smile might make that tricky...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
offpisteskiing, I think you win
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
offpisteskiing, well it is the off piste forum. Mallory/Frendo etc win hands down, but i would argue that pan/cosmiques/girose couloirs are still within reach of competent recreational skiers. Mallory/Frendo are strictly for pro nutters, so dont count on this forum. I win NehNeh
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The true winners are the nutters from TGR that gingerly stepped down a ramp connected by a few abseils they had to sort the anchors out for themselves. The whole "is it skiing? Yes because we have skis on" thread.

Or the guy that skied the very icy first descent in NZ last year on some seriously old, crappy kit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If La Grave is allowed then you'd have to allow the Pisteurs' couloir in Val d'Isere, the top half of which is around 45º.

Pisteurs is pretty trivial compared to Triffides, etc., no?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mistress Panda wrote:
..... Le Tunnel was worse than the Face for me.

Significantly tougher, I think.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevomcd, having not skied Pisteurs couloir i may be corrected by someone who has but the difference i think is that that La Grave couloirs, in particular the stuff off girose are 40 + sustained, in a straight line over 1000m vertical. This vertical distance roughly compares to top of Mickeys ears (or whatever it is called) down to the lake in VDI. Other couloirs mentioned are steeper and/or consequences of a fall may be greater.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharkymark, good sig. Things worked out or the opposite (Thorneyhill style)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well I'm pretty sh*t and even I can ski Face without too much trouble on a good day.

I've been down Harakiri, but on my face because I bottled it Embarassed . I'd like to go back and have a bash on the skis I've got now though.

As for the rest, forget it. I will never be good enough to ski anything like Corbett's or the Grand Couloir, and I'm not brave enough to do the Tunnel or the Wall, even though I have the ability.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can only assume the guy at the eagle place set out to wreck his skis. I cant see any reason for jumping 100 feet sideways on what was just rock. stupid. as for the corbetts, I once said I would never do a black and I have done several now. I can however say for a fact that I will never ever ever go down that thing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone mentioned the flypaper at glencoe......
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went down harikari last week and it was pants. There's a long black which is sustained steepness and feels like you can see all the way to the bottom on the other side of that valley which is much more challenging. IMO.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
offpisteskiing wrote:
Andreas F's descent of the Whillans Ramp on Poincenot last year?...

No thank you! Shocked

But for an official piste run then I'd say anything thats icy, busy and full of people of various abilities going at different speeds. especially out of control fast tourists. This February then?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
I think they have it all wrong, clearly the authors of these articles have never skied on a blue run full of intermediates who all think they are the next racing superstar. By contrast Grand Couloir is quiet and those souls on it know what they are doing. You are not going to be hit from behind by anyone. And if you are then they have fallen and you are doing your duty in stopping them.

Ha ha yes would agree, still hurts though when someone wipes you out from behind wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
8611 wrote:
I went down harikari last week and it was pants. There's a long black which is sustained steepness and feels like you can see all the way to the bottom on the other side of that valley which is much more challenging. IMO.

Funnily enough I went down that black with no trouble at all!
latest report
Me too, my point is I found it a lot more scary than the harikari, I think because you can see down the fall line for a lot longer
snow conditions
FWIW : I don think Trifide 3 gets skied anymore...
This video at 1.10 shows why Wink
Might actually have been the last time anyone skied it ?

http://blog.news.skierslodge.com/2009/04/29/who-is-stig-petersen/
snow report
Has anyone ever been killed tackling Corbet's Couloir? There doesn't seem to be any reports online.
latest report
1 Harakiri - Mayrhofen

Skied it and thought 'is that it?' Overrated, short, not convinced that it's the steepest piste I've skied.

2 The Face - Val d'Isere

Great run, have skied it many times in just about every type of conditions. Wouldn't say it was particularly scary, except I skied it a couple of year ago the day after the mens World Cup GS and it was terrifying! The whole slope had a blue hue where it'd been water injected.

3 La Chavanette - Avoriaz

First couple of turns are tricky, better to just go than to think too much about it. After that it's a very nice run, big bumps and fairly steep.

4 Corbet's Couloir - Jackson hole

There wasn't enough snow when we went to JH for the couloir to be open unfortunately. Plenty of other scary runs there though.

5 Le Grand Couloir - Courchevel

The path leading to the run is scarier than the run itself.

The Tunnel ADH should be on the list. At least as scary as any I've skied on the list.
ski holidays
My top 5:

1) Puy Salie - Deux Alpes - The very bottom section towards the start of the glacier poma. A blue run, but shiny, 10,000 yr old, blue, gravity taking you wherever it wanted

2) Creux - Espace Killy - ANy time during the peak periods - The most dangerous and rammed place I have ever skied.

3) Pista 3 - La Thuile - A section a couple of hundred metres below the top which was very steep and very icy. Nearly shat myself and was totally shown up by the 8 yr olds in our group who skied it perfectly.

4) Epaule du Charvet - Val d'Isere - looks so easy at the start and then there is this steepening cliff pockmarked with large white boulders called moguls

5) Campagnol - Meribel - after a day in cloud we hgit sun and hammered down the run, all falling to spot a ridge in the piste with a steep drop on the far side. Total car crash for our large party. How no one died is beyond me.

For me it is mainly about the conditions and not about the run itself.
snow report
Chavanettes? Nonsense, a decent run up after a few skates, air the first few bumps and you're sorted.
latest report
1) Tamworth on a sunday lunchtime?
2) ......
ski holidays
PP wrote:
offpisteskiing, well it is the off piste forum. Mallory/Frendo etc win hands down, but i would argue that pan/cosmiques/girose couloirs are still within reach of competent recreational skiers. Mallory/Frendo are strictly for pro nutters, so dont count on this forum. I win NehNeh

??? Some of us on here have skied them Wink...or at least the Eugster anyway Wink
ski holidays
Blowhole, at Blackcomb Glacier?
The Hintereralp at Andermatt?
Hangman Hollow's at Mammoth?
The Chimney, Squaw Valley?
Schindlergrat chutes (north face) at St Anton?
Lenzerheide Rotstock chute - 1000ft of over exposed steepness scariest thing I've seen,a nd right next to the tram.
Baldy chutes at Alta

All good. No need to rank them.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
My top 5:

1) Puy Salie - Deux Alpes - The very bottom section towards the start of the glacier poma. A blue run, but shiny, 10,000 yr old, blue, gravity taking you wherever it wanted

Toofy Grin Laughing It certainly made edges redundant!
snow report
Strange mix of ski piste and off-piste being ranked together here.... wink some must be cheating...

Harakiri is a funny one, it a sheltered north face, so on an icey week it'll put 30 in hospital, on a sunny week it's soft and the bars are full of dentists b1tchin about how short and overrated it is... It also creates the "degrees vs. percent" debate that is carried out on average 5250 times a week in resort.
latest report
Whoa! I think Harakiri in Japan's the most scariest, from the word itself, it means suicide...
snow conditions
The Face ? Surely that should not be on this list, I am a wuss and I can do it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idris, apologies but do you not fall into the pro-nutter group? wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy