Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the five scariest Ski runs on Earth....

Poster: A snowHead
I saw somebody fall on the Tunnel from top to bottom, by the time he got to the bottom most of his clothes had also come off, miraculously he got up and walked away…to look for his clothes! Its possibly about the same gradient as the Flypaper.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The tunnel looks fun Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/qR2vageViyw

http://youtube.com/v/SXhT0b1c3wE

http://youtube.com/v/SZB1YpZNfPs

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 10-11-13 10:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My 8 year old rates The Tunnel as "easy, it's nothing"

oh he's on narrow GS skis, maybe that helps?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only thing scary about the Face is the other punters
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can only compare Corbets to The Grand Couloir on that list, which is to say, no real comparison. There is no easy way into Corbets, there isn't even a merely hard way, the path to The Grand Couloir is the most intimidating bit but more because of all the traffic. Having said that, take away the entrance to Corbets and it would be no big deal but you can't take away the entrance so it's just an intimidating entrance . . . but what an entrance.

I had a look from below at S&S couloir and thought that was the same level on again from Corbets compared to GC.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I found Sache in Tignes scarier than the Face, I did both during my 4th week. Sache is loooong, narrow in places with a big drop off the side, plus there had been some sort of rockfall, which made it even narrower.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Johnor wrote:
according to the Sunday Times

1 Harakiri - Mayrhofen
2 The Face - Val d'Isere
3 La Chavanette - Avoriaz
4 Corbet's Couloir - Jackson hole
5 Le Grand Couloir - Courchevel

The numbers arent the rank - included for reference

So who has done the lot and what would you add?
I've done 2 & 5 and would probably mention the Petite Couloir next door to the grand - not been to the other resorts yet

I have done every one except 4, which I have to admit scares the hell out of me.

The rest I have done several times. And they are easy as pie when conditions are great, and appalling if conditions are poor. Swiss Wall in spring slush was a joy last April. In January, in an afternoon after a week of no fresh snow and skiers mogulling it to hell, it was pretty damned tricky. Le Face after a powder dump was lovely. In windswept ice, it was terrifying.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 22-11-13 17:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
double post

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 12-11-13 22:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Corbett's is a different league from everything else which are just pistes. But if you're playing the names of recognised runs McConkey's (formerly Eagle's Nest) at Squaw for instance craps all over the poxy Swiss wall - think Gaffney measured it at 68 deg and it's usually just rock.

http://youtube.com/v/UziQStmBw30

I might do Corbett's in good snow but that - no way.

Jesus. H. Christ.

That's not a run. That's a rockface.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If 'in bounds' runs are what they've looked at, I'm surprised that The Face has been chosen over any of the La Grave couloirs (I guess they're not patrolled, which all of those on the list are). Again, many are perfectly innocuous in good snow but some of the classics such as Chirouze and Freux offer significant exposure, even in good conditions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ive done 2,3 and 5. None of them are anything like that drop in to Corbetts.

Few of those skiers in the videos show exactly why the runs can be dangerous tho! Lots of people without the skills to ski that sort of slope, trying to 'survive' their way down, they have no business being on those slopes.

If one of those guys had hit someone, there would have been broken bones at least.

Having said that, Im not sure that I have the skills for that drop in in Corbetts, but when I can get out there will almost certainly give it a go, but only when theres no one else below me!! Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did 5 without much of a sweat. And looked at 4, decided NEVER!

It's a shitty piece of journalism! Hundreds of runs in N. America way harder than Le Grand Couloir, which isn't even come close to "scary"
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fatbob, that bloke didn't ski that. He hopped down it sideways with skis on, fell, got stuck and jumped the last bit. Pussy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If this works. Those are my skis. They didn't go any further forward !

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/snowheads-personal-galleries/p29612-corbets.html

BTW You can't see the exposed rock right in the landing zone. And that drop is significant.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nickski, doesn't really convey the scale of it, unfortunately.
snow report
vallon d'arbi and col de mines both harder than the list.
ski holidays
I think the word I'm looking for is 'committing'
snow report
I do Face last year. I'm not a good skier, so it was hard work, but definitely not
scary.
Been more scared (and bruised ) encountering an unavoidable extensive sheet of ice on a blue run in Avoriaz
snow report
The harikiri is easy compared to the other videos here.

My nine year old daughter did it.

http://youtube.com/v/h_kWwIYEkpM
snow report
Delirium Dive @ Sunshine???
snow report
Rhumage, vallon d'arbi ?? The Tunnel is way harder than that.
snow conditions
Dahu in Samoen at 3.30 pm at half term
snow report
KenX, Well I 360'd into Delerium, and skied part of it Switch! Its probably one of the best lift accessed (Short walk) runs on the planet and great fun but not overly tough!
ski holidays
No mentions for Trifide's 1, 2 and 3 ?

Or Órciére and Girosse routes down to the main road from 3560 to 1280m ??

There's about three to five routes down depending on snow condition

snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/L-gOHtQ4A-Q
ski holidays
This was from my blog this year - see my comment about Trifide 3 rolling eyes

Monday March 25th La Grave

Went over there yesterday, and was a very big day!

I've been skiing, snowboarding LG since 1997 with and without guides and yesterday I think was my most demanding / exhilarating / sphincter busting day ever !

With my mate Bing over we both wanted to do more interesting stuff so a guide would be necessary, my dear friend Per is away in Turkey (ski touring) so this time it was all a bit of a fate, as the guy I've just bought an apartment from here in Serre, his son is a guide too. We met last summer when we came over to make the offer etc

Now Bing is a very, very good skier and I did think I might find the day a bit of a challenge as often in the group there are a few slower than me, but yesterday it was Mathieu, Bing and I and the pace was very quick. Mathieu was having to ski hard as Bing was stuck to him like glue, and that does not happen to often to guides with clients!

Viz did come and go, first run was a warm up down Vallon to P2 and snow was not too bad though a little cut up. Then we went up on the glacier though they had not opened the drag so we skied the glacier down to Chancel and then on down to P1 doing Patou on the way. The traverse was pretty tough with bumps a plenty down towards P1 after the traverse.

Then it was back up and up on to the Glacier and the lift opened up, so we skied some nice lines up there doing around five runs before skiing back down the glacier to Chancel and on then cut back over the ridge on to Vallons and then down to P2 (thank God) and then went back up to lunch at P3.

Not exactly too sure of how many runs we did after lunch, but we did do Trifide 2 which was pretty awesome, I've done Trifide 1 a fair few times but 2 is in another league, though think I'll pass on Trifide 3.

Then it was the big one, skiing all the way down the Girose, powder was great, though started turning as we made our way down, and it did get heavy, and my legs were screaming, viz was a little bizarre at times as "they" skied off into the cloud I was getting a tad nervous that I'd loose them!

Then became very technical at times, heavy snow, avalanche debris, rocks and trees all to contend with, and my legs!

The guide and my mate said I'd do so much better on fatter skis and better boots ( I was in my touring boots and Scott Missions ), so maybe a new quiver is needed!

Once at the bottom I looked as if I'd been for a dip in the stream I was sweating so much.

When we were up at P3 having lunch I did comment that I was probably one of the oldest guys skiing up there, and with the narrowest of skis, I remember when Missions seemed quite wide !
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Delirium Dive @ Sunshine???

...but the last time I did it (before Scurfield-gate), it was covered in enough untracked powder to be entirely seamless and pretty much bottomless - it was just a cruisy powder run. The North American when in hard icy conditions can be sporting.

Not scary though - you can stop any time you like on all these, and there's no serious avvy risk.

Another try: for me, the scary run are those I'm too scared to ride. So any slope I think is going to slide, or which appears to have unwarranted avalanche risk. That can be pretty much anything in a huge geographical area some years...
snow report
DB, Good stuff but there are a number of La Grave couloirs like that or steeper (The Voute is one of my favourites). I think the thread was supposed to be Pistes, though many American double black diamonds would be off piste in Europe so I don't know how to draw the line. If La Grave is allowed then you'd have to allow the Pisteurs' couloir in Val d'Isere, the top half of which is around 45º.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, Trifide 3 is generally regarded as the most exposed of all routes that are accessible from P3 with guided groups, though would think that most guides would not take a group into 3, and I've done Vaute and all the main routes down to the road many a time, but still have not done 3

Indeed there are more exposed / steeper routes but these are done mainly with one on one guiding involving going over the Col de la Meije and then skinning up, or climbing up to the Rateau, or the skiers/boarders are extremely accomplished, then there is the Pan de Redeau which is bonkers exposed at 52 degrees - think those days of aspiring to do that are well gone.

But I do have a Tour de La Meije owed to me by a mate (guide) which I did not do last season.
ski holidays
Weathercam, no, I haven't done Trifide 3 either.
ski holidays
Found more clips on Youtube ......

http://youtube.com/v/Y1rNCbUR55M

http://youtube.com/v/2xzlnUftZ9k
ski holidays
And this is, as ever does not show how exposed it is, but you can tell by how he is being so "careful" and riding with an ice ax in hand is also a bit of a give away Smile

http://youtube.com/v/OLJ-hkR8_XQ
latest report
Weathercam, Wooooohooo!
ski holidays
i need to get back to LG...
amazing how that vid made the Pan look flat as a pancake.
snow report
Arno, SoPiB snowHead
ski holidays
Weathercam, now thats what i call one of the scariest runs on Earth (have not skied it myself). Not in the same league but close you can also add Cosmiques couloir and the Rond on Aiguille du midi. I also found traversing across the top of Trifide 0 into 1 with all the rocks and exposure a bit scary.
snow report
Sharkymark, Lofoten + 2 weeks in Vancouver might make that tricky... Sad
snow report
Mine goes to Santons in Val D'sere, when you have taken your mother who hates crowds down it at 330 going " Don't worry I'm sure it won't be too bad...."
latest report
Weathercam, Wow.. amazing...mind you that ice axe looked a bit dangerous as he was going along.
ski holidays
Well if we are going off piste with this thread then how about the Mallory or the Frendo on the N Face of the Midi (check out the header pic of Ross's blog: http://rosshewittblog.wordpress.com/), or how about Andreas F's descent of the Whillans Ramp on Poincenot last year?...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy