Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

selva or sestriere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

New snow head here looking for some help

We're a couple looking to book out New Year Ski holiday (not normally this disorganised). We've got it down to either Sestriere or Selva.
Last year we went to Mayrhofen and really enjoyed the mileage we could cover and the use of the train to get to various other areas with our lift pass.
We are a after a place that we can cover plenty of miles during the day, a couple of beers after and some nice food.
we like the look of both,
our concerns about Selva is getting around the various areas to make the most of out the Dolomiti super ski pass. Is it fairly straight forward to get around, buses/trains etc. We're normally early starters and one of the last down. We are looking to do a package with Crystal.
we're both intermediate skiers who will attempt the odd black run.

Any suggestions, recommendations or experience would be gratefully received.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For me it's no contest, Dolomites every time. For more information try this thread.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=103531#2377048
snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
michdyl, welcome to snowheads. I've been to both, and not much in it. I do prefer the scenery in the Dolomites and later in the season when the links are gone Sestriere would be limited.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK thanks, we're going over the new year period, I think Dolomites will take it, we've been to Sauze Doux so know the ski area and do like to go somewhere different. thanks for the link, answered a lot questions.
Hopefully the busses and trains to other areas will be easy to negotiate.
Thanks again!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob +1.
Both good areas - if you do Sestriere do try to ski Montgenevre which is my favourite part of the area, though rather out on a limb. However Dolomites are such a spectacular area - I'm sure you'd love it (unless they haven't had snow for weeks and it's icy). No need for buses (except to get to Lagazuoi for the hidden valley - don't miss that). You can get round the basic circuit in a leisurely day, easily. Marmolada is the highest mountain and has fantastic views (and off piste if you might try that).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't be concerned about buses in the dolomiti area. Selva is right on the Sella Ronda, which is a massive fully linked area. You can ski directly to several areas.

There are some optional buses (eg Canazei to Alba, which takes something like 5 minutes)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you have so far been looking at piste maps with Sella Gardena in the foreground, here is a corrective from further around the Sella Ronda (click to enlarge) http://www.chaletpradat.it/img/app/ski_plan_arabba_marmolada.jpg

A taste of the Sella Ronda landscape near Passo Gardena
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Selva every time...the Sella Ronda area is an intermediates paradise, about 500km available in the lift-linked areas of Val Gardena, Alta Badia, Arabba & Val di Fassa, so plenty to make full use of the Superski pass without catching a bus.

One trip worth catching a minibus for is the Hidden Valley of Armentarola run.

Make sure your accommodation is near a lift as some places are a long walk/bus ride in lower parts of Selva.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been to both and found Selva more interesting for the skiing as well as for the apres. In line with Luigi's advice I enjoyed staying at the Hotel Pralong, which is close to the Ciampinoi chair and a short walk down to the centre.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="snowball"]If you have so far been looking at piste maps with Sella Gardena in the foreground, here is a corrective from further around the Sella Ronda (click to enlarge) http://www.chaletpradat.it/img/app/ski_plan_arabba_marmolada.jpg

Whilst good for the orientation, that map is a little out of date - it's has a double drag going up from Pass Campolongo to Bec De Roses, and IIRC that's been a chair for at least a couple of years.
Also lift 9 is missing in Arrabba - this is the fairly new chair that you see the top of as you come down from the portovescovo bubble/cable-car when 'doing the orange'
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett, Oops, didn't spot that. It was for the general layout and feel, though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been to both and the Dolomites every time for me. Hotel Serena in Selva is ski in/ski out...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dolomites. It's beautiful. The Hidden Valley is just gobsmacking.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It looks like you will be going to Selva.
If you do, don't miss the Seceda area and the run down towards Ortisei Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy