Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Possible Oz Trip - Help! Where do I Start?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A close friend emigrated to Australia recently - and has already asked numerous times 'So when are you coming over then?'

Mrs MA and I have never been to Oz - so it seems like an ideal excuse to go. My mate and his family are in Canberra - which I was delighted to see has ski areas within 2-3 hours (eg Perisher and Thredbo) Smile - so this could definitely be a goer then! We haven't identified a timescale and, with the exception of an awareness of Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Great Barrier Reef and Ayers Rock etc I don't know a lot about Australia - except I have now found out that it's a fairly expensive place to visit for us Brits and that lift tickets are the most expensive on the planet Shocked.

So questions at this stage are:

1. Given that we would be at Canberra at some point, where should we aim to ski?
2. How are the logistics for skiing? Would we need a car? Would we stay at the slopes or are there valley towns (or equivalent)?
3. What else could we do when we're there - especially on the outdoor activities front (eg hiking and mountain biking)? Or are there any must see/must do things that we may not know about? We wouldn't be averse to packing in as much as possible on the trip.
4. Should we be thinking of including New Zealand while we're at it? And (again) if so....where??
5. Oh, and when's the best time for snow?

Help!! Puzzled

Any hints, tips or words of advice/caution would be appreciated.....and an outline itinerary for a trip of about 17 days would be even better Toofy Grin.

Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict wrote:

1. Given that we would be at Canberra at some point, where should we aim to ski?

3. What else could we do when we're there - especially on the outdoor activities front (eg hiking and mountain biking)? Or are there any must see/must do things that we may not know about? We wouldn't be averse to packing in as much as possible on the trip.

I'm not sure skiing and mountain biking go together that well...

When the mountain is snow covered, do you really want to bike on it or rather ski it? And if it's dry enough to mountain bike, I wouldn't want to trash my skis...

Quote:
4. Should we be thinking of including New Zealand while we're at it? And (again) if so....where??

If you have the time, I would think that's a definite YES, given you've spend the astronomical air fare to get "down under".

Just a warning, quite a few people who "visit" NZ ended up staying... or at least wishing they don't have to go home
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm an expat Aussie but have never skied there. I have looked into it a bit though, so these might help a bit:

1. Perisher and Thredbo are definitely the closest, no point going to any of the Victoria resorts. Perisher is bigger. Thredbo has more 'vertical' but as far as I can tell it must be slushycrap down the bottom.
2. Definitely would need a car. There's no need to think about winter tyres because the associated motoring authorities don't recognise them as useful - chains and normal tires is the usual way I think.
3. Tasmania is worth a look if you're into outdoor activities. You're not going to find lift-served mountain biking anywhere in Oz at that time but I think it is possible to do some mountain biking w/ bus up on Mt Wellington in Hobart
4. With only 17 days (incl or excl flying?) for most I would suggest giving NZ a miss, unless skiing is very important... so maybe go to NZ? Wink
5. I think the best time is late July/early August, but no idea how this would affect crowds or how it fits in with school holidays
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh more on question 2:

There is a town called 'Jindabyne' which seems to have a lot of hotels and I think is the main off-mountain town for Thredbo and Perisher. There's also some thing called the Ski-Tube which is an underground train to Perisher so you can avoid driving a car into the (national) park. I don't really understand the purpose of these things but here you go:

http://www.perisher.com.au/resort-information/getting-to-perisher/skitube.html

This would probably mean you'd not need to worry about chains etc at all with a car because it's much lower.

So you could stay in Jindabyne, drive to the Ski-Tube and take that up to the resort level each day. I think this is a cheaper option than driving your car up every day (you'll pay national park entry fees and car parking fees) and is also likely to be cheaper than staying on mountain.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, given that Australia doesn't exactly have a comparative advantage in skiing it seems strange to go all that way and do expensive skiing, which will be limited, rather than stuff like diving on the Great Barrier Reef, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, etc.

I have a nephew, a keen snowboarder, who has lived in Oz for years and never been to any of the Australian resorts. He says it's cheaper and better to go to NZ and more expensive but FAR better to come to Europe, which is what he's doing in January 2014.

It's a bit like an Australian coming to the UK and going surfing in West Sussex.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I worked in Thredbo for a season. Thredbo's runs are a lot longer than Perisher's and there are more challenging runs.
Jindabyne is the main town people stay in and about 30km from both resorts. Thredbo has a village but very few people stay up there.
The ski tube goes from about 15km away from Jindy up to Perisher and is before you enter the park. You have to pay to enter the national park if you drive all the way to each resort. I'm not sure how much as everyone I knew had workers passes.
As for chains, when I was there we maybe would have needed them 3 times. When it's bad you need either a 4x4 or chains in the Police's book.

That being said, Australia is ridiculously expensive. I would not go there if I was paying for myself, lift tickets are more than £60 a day and everything else equally overpriced! As pam w, says lots of Aussies often go to NZ as it's cheaper even when you take the flight into account.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict, are you thinking of going in the UK summer time??

I've been a fair few times, never to ski, always to see Father in Law and family. It's such a vast country you should do some of the "classics" like Sydney, Great Ocean Road, Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef, Ayers Rock etc etc IMHO
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to all so far! In response to the queries raised:

- We aren't expecting lift served mountain biking, nor are we expecting to bike the same mountain or mountains that we ski. We love mountain biking almost as much as we love skiing - so were hoping to maybe fit in a ride or two as part of the trip.
- We understand it wouldn't be as extensive as the Alps but love skiing so much that we're more than willing to give it a try, despite the expense. We really are easily pleased on the skiing front and love to travel as well. So an ideal excuse to visit friends and go skiing as well. If we are ever going to visit Australia, we may as well do it in our summer - & get some skiing in that is presumably much more extensive than our usual summer ski in Tignes.
- We neither surf nor dive (tho did try diving once).
- We haven't ruled out some internal flights (any recommendations?) to see a bit more of the place.
- The trip length would be to be determined. 17 days was a ballpark fgure. We think we could have a fair crack at a decent hol if we took a max of 3 weeks off work and had an outbound and/or inbound stopover plus (say) 17 days in Australia/New Zealand.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
A close friend emigrated to Australia recently - and has already asked numerous times 'So when are you coming over then?'

So questions at this stage are:

2. How are the logistics for skiing? Would we need a car? Would we stay at the slopes or are there valley towns (or equivalent)?
5. Oh, and when's the best time for snow.
Cheers!

Your friend is very sensible. I am from Canberra and it is the best place on earth, just pipping Swindon.

Question 1 - Japan. Seriously, the skiing in Oz/NZ is rubbish. Crowded, bonkers expensive, not much snow, not much piste. For god's sake combine all the Gondolas in both countries and you get the number zero.

Question 2 - You don't need a car, but it is a PITA if you get the bus from Canberra. You could stay on piste but I suspect you wouldn't be able to afford it. As for standard, get your average Dolomites hotel and divide it by a thousand. Then put Basil Fawlty in charge.

Question 3 - go in summer and walk to top of Kocskiosko.

Question 4 - Oz full of Kiwis. No need to go. Skiing there pretty much same deal as Oz. sometimes they get a better snow year, sometimes not.

Question 5 - I would say early August best bet. You may still need to sacrifice a goat and do a nude snow dance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can anyone add anything positive about skiing down under?
Puzzled Puzzled

If not, it sounds like mountainaddict, should knock Oz skiing on the head and fit in a stopover in Japan en route to visiting his pal!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergmeister wrote:
Can anyone add anything positive about skiing down under?
Puzzled Puzzled

I can positively say skiing in Oz is scheisen. If you are from the UK you go to the beach when in Oz. if you want to ski get Ryanair to the alps. Plain as the snozza on your face.
Option B is Japan on the way over.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Replying to the thread title : Kansas
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing in Australia has its own magic and appeal. It is NOT the Alps, as you know them, and it is futile to compare it to countries that 3000+ metres of vertical with which to play. It is very different experience. You may as we'll compare a Michelin restaurant to a pizza joint. Which is better? Is one rubbish because you think the other is better?

Have a look at some of the photographs from my home hill, Falls Creek: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=charlie+brown+photography+falls+creek&client=safari&hl=en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=axt6UpaSIeujiAe__IGoDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672

Would I travel to Australia just for the skiing? Possibly not. Do I love skiing here. You betcha'!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Somebody must like it - this Oz based forum is on a par with sH for size
http://ski.com.au/forum/index.html
loads of ads though
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict, my 2p worth:

I was going to Oz on business a few years ago with the intention of tacking on some holiday and visiting a BASI mate who was instructing over there to ski. It was a bad snow year for them so he told me not to bother seeing him and go to NZ instead. It seems quite common for either NZ or Oz to have a good snow year whilst the other is poor, rarely both at the same time, so you may want to leave your final plans until late and you know which country is having the better season.

All the serious Oz skiers I've ever met seem to get on a plane to Canada/Japan or even Europe, as well as NZ but I suspect that's just because Southern Hemisphere resorts are tiny by Northern standards. I guided an Aussie group round the 3V's whose home hill was (I think) Thredbo - they told me we'd done more skiing before lunch than they'd do in a week in Oz. They confirmed how ridiculously expensive Oz was.

So I have no direct experience of Oz but can tell you a bit about NZ after I spent 8 days touring South Island. NZ skiing is nothing like Europe but it is fun and a worthwhile experience so you should definitely do it (or Oz) just to put a tick in the box. I suspect there's much more variety on offer in NZ than Oz and the scenery's incredible.

You don't say what level skier you are? If you're a piste cruiser then NZ doesn't offer much. If you're advanced, versatile and like gnarly, challenging skiing there is plenty to do and some good memories to be had. You need a 4WD car (but they're cheap and readily available to hire). Their heliskiing is also terrific value (and accessible to lots of levels of skier) - if you've never done it, take the opportunity.

Can you give you lots more advice (on NZ) if you want - let me know.

Views like this are normal Very Happy

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy