Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The London Ski Show - review based on freebie

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I took the free press pass. It seemed legitimate ... thread-starting for this oracle, plus Winterhighland (less frequently) and the newer WTF Ski Club. But, my lord, the press registration facility ain't clever.

I turned up at Earls Court, having exchanged emails with a PR, but there was no way of confirming the registration before the turnstiles so I was led (along with two other writers) on a long walk to an upstairs internal press office. Even finding 'Earls Court 2' isn't exactly a walk in the park. When you exit Earls Court tube you're actually confronted by The Gadget Show Live "at Christmas" (setting up for opening tomorrow) in the main building. Skiers are relegated to an off-piste route around the side.

Maybe skis/bindings/boots should become gadgets. Maybe skiers could look to visiting The Gadget Show in combination with the Ski Show, if hot ticket deals make the mission meaningful (the Ski Show is a half-day affair). Would I have made the trip if I'd had to buy a full-priced ticket (in the context of having made two regularly paid ski trips last winter?) Simple answer: no. However ... I'd rate the show worth half-price entry, or some similar deal!

The headline gimmick/offer is "20,000 free liftpasses". Sounds too good to be true? Maybe check the ... err ... terms and conditions for valid dates etc.:
http://www.skiandsnowboard.co.uk/london/20000-free-lift-passes/

The Snow Centre at Hemel Hempstead says it's giving away 10,000 one-hour passes at the show.

My mission was more to re-connect with the event (after about four years absence) than see anything radical/innovative ... so I wasn't disappointed in that regard. There are enough stands representing resorts and tour operators to mean that you could enjoy a better ski holiday by gaining extra enlightenment and a fuller picture. There are seriously knowledgeable people in there - ask to speak directly to them. Norway (a relatively ignored ski destination) has a nice stand with a clever pay-bar in the middle. Key ski areas like the Tirol and Trois Vallees have teams of advisers to chat with. There's a ski buzz and vibe in the place, but it could use a lot more razzmatazz and imagination! A bus-based tour operator had parked its (very non-thrilling) vehicle in the middle of the hall. Thanks, but I'd rather not feel like I'm in a bus station - I want to see sparkling mountains and snow.

The Ski Show has settled into comfortable and slightly boring middle-age (it's now over 40 years old) with few fresh tricks. The Telegraph have made a strategic move in buying their way into ski media/shows - maybe they should now invest in kicking the old dear into life again. In truth, the show peaked (in the main Earls Court) back in the 1980s, when its centrepiece was a spectacular laser-lit hard-rock aerial skiing fantasia.

That said, what the Ski Show continues to offer, even in this age of web-searching and home shopping, is enough chance to meet experts face-to-face and talk the sport. Brochure gatherers and gear-browsers (largest stand by far is Ellis Brigham's) can get plenty of stuff, albeit clothing and equipment they wouldn't normally have to pay an entry fee to obtain. The live talks space (I saw Graham Bell and Warren Smith speaking to walk-up audiences) is worthwhile. The big ski school slope at the back of the hall is particularly impressive - especially if you want to introduce a friend to the sport. However, there should be a treadmill skiing zone to supplement it.

I'm toying with the idea of returning on Friday to take a deeper look. The 'review' above was - I'm afraid - the product of only two hours there, much of which was spent searching for my old friend and 'ski media networker' Konrad Bartelski - a TV producer in recent times (and the only British Olympic racer to have had the sense to include "ski" in his brandname). That search was successful, at random, without the aid of a mobile phone or avalanche transceiver.

Anyone else been yet? The show is open until this Sunday 3 November:

http://www.skiandsnowboard.co.uk/london/show-info/opening-times/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 31-10-13 16:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Going on Saturday with the kids, so long as there are plenty of stickers being given out they will be happy!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

'm toying with the idea of returning on Friday to take a deeper look.

I will be arriving later today at the show, if your around Friday come say hi, I am on the Ortovox stand, and maybe a little time on Summit Goggles as well.

Quote:

aid of a mobile phone or avalanche transceiver.

Transceiver should work for me as well Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Maybe skiers could look to visiting The Gadget Show in combination with the Ski Show, if hot ticket deals make the mission meaningful (the Ski Show is a half-day affair).

Ski show ticket holders can get into The Gadget Show for a fiver, which is what I'm intending to do if I have time on Saturday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Maybe skis/bindings/boots should become gadgets.

jeez no. They've already had the bald bloke scraping the edges off a £30,000 carbon fibre board on the show whilst saying it carves beautifully. Hoping that was just an unfortunate cut in the editing room. The bike "reviews" they do, most certainly are not, but are highly entertaining/hilarious.

Summary seems to tie up with my last experience. Worth it with half price ticket or freebie. Pretty much same for most shows tbh. Hopefully they have bratwurst and glühwein smells at the food areas rather than greasy burgers?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I never understand why they need to charge for entry as the companies pay enough to be there. The Manchester one was dead on the Friday when we were there, surely it would be better to have more people and some atmosphere. It was interesting to see one though and agree with Comedy Goldsmith, it is great to speak to some experts. After talking to the guys on the Sierra Nevada stand I thought I quite want to try that one day, wasn't on my list before... Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
The headline gimmick/offer is "20,000 free liftpasses". Sounds too good to be true? Maybe check the ... err ... terms and conditions for valid dates etc.:
http://www.skiandsnowboard.co.uk/london/20000-free-lift-passes/

Just for fun I read the Ts&Cs and, apparently (because I couldn't find the individual resort pages), each resort also has their own Ts&Cs on top of the main Ts&Cs. These things are only "free" if you don't value your time or sanity.

CG, I'm very disappointed by that report - you clearly didn't seek out the SnowVole or the TeaClub stands and analyse their activities.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I think it would have been more amusing if CG had sought out the SCGB and some unwitting popsy had re-recruited him, paying no heed to the "Warning - Do not solicit this man" photofit posters placed behind the staff pedestals.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, even better if they signed him up to the £23 Beginner membership. Anyway, I believe that today is in fact the last day of his 500 year stint as a member. A hysteric day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought I saw the gadget show man wandering around yesterday.

The kids had a great day yesterday, and they took great delight in taking the mick out of me falling on my bottom twice when I had a go at snowboarding.
There really wasnt that much in the case of bargains, everything in the goods section seemed pretty full priced.
I got a free bag, a mountain of catalogues and leaflets.

I didnt bother with my free days lift pass for the price of 5 or whatever it was, seemed pointless.
A free ski at hemel would;ve been better but what I got was 10% off a lesson.... not much use.

Where was the fischer stand Sad Couldnt find any fischer skis so went home a bit gutted.

Dont think theres enough for me to need to go next year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going on Saturday on some free tickets. Looking forward to it as somethign to do on a misserable autumn day - especially if we can go into the gadget show for a fiver afterwards.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Royal visit ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/skiing-news/10417503/Princess-Beatrice-visits-Telegraph-Ski-and-Snowboard-Show.html

Quote:
Speaking to Telegraph Ski and Snowboard editor Henry Druce, she said: "Congratulations on putting on a fantastic event - you must be very proud."
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On reflection and due to running out time this week, the Megaclan have decided that two ski shows in less than a week isn't on so we won't be attending.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My kids and I enjoyed the show; they each got a free lesson and we got our free hour pass to Hemel. Bought some nice new gear, got lots of free tat ( Verbier stand was best, followed by Tirol). My daughter lost her (Ralph Lauren) jacket; it was handed in after we'd left and the lovely Lizzie rang us and arranged to send it to us. Great service!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
what and where was the tea club.

Hands up if you wanted a ski lift chair!!!!
snow report
mistral_ski wrote:

snow report

mistral_ski wrote:

Stand E31, it says here.

My face didn't pop out of that magazine ... but I worked on the original thing, in Feb/Mar 1989!

That's when sales of Ski Survey magazine, the SCGB's then magazine, were climbing to 12,000 copies on the UK newsstands. The last audited sales for its successor (Ski+Board) were 700-800 copies per issue. Maybe "Britain's Original Ski Magazine" (est. 1905 as the British Ski Year Book) should be resurrected ...

... or something ...

... or anything ...

latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, Is there ANYTHING about skiing that you do like - apart from boring people in chatrooms?

I'm not surprised that Conrad Bartelski avoided bumping into you - most people do. rolling eyes
latest report
Scrumpy, you could contribute greatly to this thread by reviewing the London Ski Show ... insteading of reviewing me.

Quote:
I'm not surprised that Conrad Bartelski avoided bumping into you

Konrad is not a difficult name to spell.
latest report
Well I thought it was excellent value for a post. Omitting the word "snowboard" from the thread title and the entire text must have taken some effort, although you left it in the URL.

I guess I'm not the target demographic, but the whole thing from the graphics down just makes me feel like I need some fresh air.
latest report
Alastair Pink, ha ha - love that picture!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
Omitting the word "snowboard" from the thread title and the entire text must have taken some effort

No effort, just ignorance and carelessness. I apologise for that.

As the importer of the first 20 snowboards (Winterstick) into the UK in 1978 (and the first person to write about them a year earlier) I am not prejudiced ... simply economical with words. It would be better if it was called the Snow Show or something equally snappy.
ski holidays
wink it was a gentle poke - no worries at all. If snowboarding was up front and centre in the daily mail/ telegraph show world then I'd probably have to go back to monoskiing.

I was aware of your snowboard history there too, although I missed it at the time and I didn't wake up to snowboards until Regis showed the way. On a Winterstick I believe.
snow conditions
Apologies to Konrad. Embarassed
ski holidays
I cannot contribute to the thread as requested because I did not receive a "freebie". I do not pretand to be anything that I am not, nor to live on my past.
Posting in forums (fora?) does NOT constitute "journalism" in anyone's book but Mr Goldsmith's.
snow report
Not one mention of alcohol other than a 'pay bar' - that's been the problem with the show for a few years now. Used to be you couldn't move for free toffee vodka, schnapps, jager, beer or wine (and then couldn't move afterwards either).
snow conditions
Scrumpy wrote:
I cannot contribute to the thread as requested because I did not receive a "freebie".

Yes you can. Obviously you can. You say what you paid and review the show from that perspective.

Scrumpy wrote:
I do not pretand to be anything that I am not

But you're pretending to be a vat of fermented apple juice. Obviously you're not a vat of fermented apple juice, because it would be incapable of typing.

Scrumpy wrote:
I do not live on my past.

Try it. Eddie the Eagle is probably still opening German supermarkets - he was the last time I spoke to him.

Scrumpy wrote:
Posting in forums (fora?) does NOT constitute "journalism"

Depends on the journalistic quality of the posting, obviously. Just because something is in a reporter's notebook doesn't make it journalism.
snow report
We went there this afternoon, we paid about £11.00 each for the ticket & over £10 for a pint of lager & a red wine !!! We got a good return for the entry cost I think as we picked up our 3V lift pass voucher which gives us about 50€ net saving on the cost of a 6 day lift pass. As for the stands & shops there was nothing that really took our fancy apart from the outlet helmet shop & we bought a couple of new helmets, but the rest of the stuff was pretty poor really. If they could have posted the lift pass vouchers to me, I wouldn't have bothered going to be honest
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We arrived just before opening and left at 5.30pm. I did miss the razzmatazz of the fashion show and the trick ski demo from previous years but on balance we had a good time (family of four with kids of 8 and 12).

As the OP mentioned there is a wealth of people from a whole world of resorts to chat to about their ski resorts. It wasn't busy and it was worth taking advantage of this. My kids had an excellent freestyle hour lesson with the Hemel team on the dry slope- for me this was the entrance fee recouped, they had a great time learning to grind the box or something.

Verbier and Tirol had the best gifts of t shirts and baseball caps followed by the North Americans who gave us nice t shirts too. Sticker count a fair bit down on previous years I felt.

Food an drink were slightly expensive. I guess it's a London thing.

We'll probably go again - every year there is at least something different and probably if numbers of advertisers dwindle then more effort could (and probably should) go into making it more spectacular.

Good DJ

FROSTY
latest report
I went yesterday, also on a freebie (many thanks anarchicsaltire snowHead). I arrived just after opening and left about 2:30pm. The usual range of tour operators, resort tourist offices, ski clothing and equipment retailers and gadget retailers was there. I enjoyed the Tirol and Sud-Tirol stands where I picked up copies of the latest accommodation brochures and had a chat to the people manning the stands in my best German Laughing . I also liked the Japan stand. Had a brief chat with Graham Bell then went off for some lunch (Pork, Venison and Mushroom sausage in a roll for £4.50).
I did walk past a stand called Snivel, but the person on the stand didn't look like Phil Keith, so I guess he's recruited an additional vole or two to help out....

After leaving the ski show I bought a £5 upgrade for admission to the gadget show being held in Earls Court 1 just to see what it was like, but unless you're an avid computer gamer it frankly had little appeal as far as I'm concerned. I then had a pleasant couple of hours in a Wetherspoons pub having a bit more food and drink whilst reading the plethora of skiing literature I'd amassed, before returning to St Pancras for the train back home. A tiring but pleasant day out! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:

I did walk past a stand called Snivel, but the person on the stand didn't look like Phil Keith

Who did he/she look like? Rolf Harris?

When you say the stand was called "Snivel", are you sure about that? Strikes me as a bloody strange business name.
Were you offered a stuffed vole?
snow report
Really not worth the entry fee IMO, it was just like a rather shabby shopping mall, thought this a couple of years back but decided to give it one more go, shan't bother again. I agree that the Verbier stand was good.
ski holidays
Scrumpy wrote:
I cannot contribute to the thread as requested because I did not receive a "freebie". I do not pretand to be anything that I am not, nor to live on my past.
Posting in forums (fora?) does NOT constitute "journalism" in anyone's book but Mr Goldsmith's.

It's called delusions of grandeur.
snow conditions
We had a great family day out at the Ski show today and we paid full price as the Telegraph discount code didn't work when I booked online.

My children loved it all particularly the ice skating and the Monarch simulator game. My daughter is delighted with her toy St Bernard dog from the Verbier stand and now no longer needs a real dog for Christmas! Laughing She has converted the Les Contamines name badge holder (round the neck thing) into a lead for her dog! Toofy Grin

We also enjoyed meeting Emily Sarsfield and lots of friendly people manning the resort stands.

Now who has bought a chairlift seat for their garden? Own up snowHead Laughing
snow report
snowymum, sounds like you had a great time Very Happy
snow conditions
Just back home from the show on discounted tickets and while it worth what I paid as a day out (discount rates) with toastertalby and talbyem as a ski show I found it a little dissapointing. On the plus side the kids had great time hunting freebies and have come away with good haul. Beanies, ear warmers, dvds posters and about 10000 stickers amongst other stuff, due in no small part to toastertalby putting on her small, blonde and cute act by the bucket full! She also had a great time with the free intro snowboard lesson.
As to the show sad to say it seems to be going the way of the Birmingham show to me, fewer stands and bigger isles between the stands, the S&R stand was not much more than a big empty space. No return for the fantastic ramp we had the fantastic aerial display from last year.
ski holidays
Have to agree with the sentiments here..... It was worth the cost of my ticket (thanks Dave) but not sure it was worth the fuel cost to get there.

Yes there were some big stands Ellis bringham flogging gear at the usual price, yes there were some resorts, a nice section on US of A, there were a couple of sites (scuk, Snivel, workaseason) then there were some tour operators flogging holidays but as someone in the industry after an hour and a half I'd walked round twice and felt I'd seen everything there... Ok I wasn't after freebies, or clothing, or lessons, or holidays so perhaps those who were might find it a better show.
snow report
davkt, Ive never been but I suppose its like most business these days...we all have to cut our costs and we cant be as flash as we used to be? Given as such, maybe the admission charge should reflect that?
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, Yep, the resorts seemed to be putting on the same sort of show as usual, and entered a load of win a hol comps on them as payback for the kids raiding their freebie stocks. Far less on offer in the shops than last year and didn't spot many good offers. Tea club stand was tiny and never did spot the Snowboard club stand though did see piles of their leaflets in various places. Oh and so much for needing to pay full price for those free lift passes, going through the kids swag bags and it seems they have free days in most of Italy!
ski holidays
Yes we have some free days in resorts we've never heard of in Italy Laughing

Another thing my daughter loved was seeing the reindeer. She enquired if reindeer and sleigh rides were available and the lady said "no but you can sit on Santa's sleigh!" which was good enough! Maybe you need to be aged 10 or under to get the most out of the ski show Laughing I loved the waft of Raclette from one of the cafes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy