Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

~ TAM Ski Test :: Tamworth SnowDome 13th Nov2013 ~

Poster: A snowHead
To show interest in the Ski Test at Tamworth Click this:

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-12-13 18:24; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Ski Test at Tamworth (TAMSkiTest_Nov2013) will take place on Wed 13 Nov 2013 from 8PM to 10:30pm

After our Ski Test in September turned out to be so popular, we've arranged a series of tests this November, in partnership with and co-promoted by Ellis Brigham as 'The Big Ski'.

The Tamworth session is on the evening of Wed 13th Nov.

The Ellis Brigham test stock will be there again (Those who met them at the EoSB know their test fleet is extensive) we can also expect Armada, Blizzard, Kneissl, Nordica and Rossignol who have all confirmed they'll be there.
We've also invited Whitedot, DPS and Kneissl.

This is a great chance to checkout the new models for the coming season. Whether you're looking to buy/upgrade this Winter or not, it's always good to experience different skis - teaches U a lot about your skiing!
...And besides, it great fun to hang out with a bunch of other snowHeads playing with skis! snowHead

The test session will run from 8pm to 10:30PM.
It's not easy getting discount in these places in November and Tamworth had already discounted the session by 30% but after a little persuasion as to the 'specialness' of you lot, we've actually got ourselves an even better price of:
£25 for 3 hours (or £22 for super/mega-snowHeads).

Hit the button above and then select the 'Sign me up' option.

Everybody coming needs to sign up from their own snowHeads account (yes even kids) so if you've got a +1, please sort them out with their own snowHeads ID.
(I've made this big as no-one seemed to read it and I kept getting asked for +1's)
Are you coming to the TAMSkiTest_Nov2013?
I'm in - Sign me up!
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead

Yes, almost certainly.
A snowHead

Hopefully so...
A snowHead
A snowHead
A snowHead

It was a button, I pressed it - I'll go now...
A snowHead

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking forward to it! Hope to see a load of snowheads there!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really pleased to see this event taking place at Tamworth - just gutted got an unbreakable appointment that day so can't make it Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sueb, don't break it, move it... to the snowDome Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just coughed up...just hope i can find the time! A good chance to use new ski boots bought at the end of last season too.
As a new girl to the site, be gentle with me! Mr P will be very jealous.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow Tamworth from W Sussex, thats dedication to the snow Perty!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just clicked almost certainly, but I'm not sure it recorded me. Bev and I will hope to be there. 95% certain. Look forward to meeting other snowheads.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davkt wrote:
Wow Tamworth from W Sussex, thats dedication to the snow Perty!

Ahhh...yes..well...in fact I am based in Brum during the week, so Tamworth makes much more sense! 14th Nov is my birthday too, so a ski test session the evening before is an early pressie to myself. I just have to cross my fingers that I am not dumped with a load of work to prep that evening and have to bail out Crying or Very sad (lawyer), as well as pack my ski gear for my working week. Will cheer me up no end though if I can make it...otherwise I'll have to wait a whole TWO additional weeks to my first trip of the season..... Cool (Zermatt-ski testing on slightly bigger slopes that Tamworth!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm 50/50, depends if I can get out of work early enough to make it worthwhile.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't make that date unfortunately, otherwise would have been there. I'm working up in Cheshire and Lancs. that week - shame there isn't an event at Chill factor-e, I would be better placed to attend there instead wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its SnR at Chill Factore so guess they won't let EB in!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hope you don't mind I've pimped this on Powder Junkies admin.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing pimp away davkt!
I suspect many of the PJ's are snowHeads already - and if they're not, they probably should be snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yup there is a fair bit of crossover but I know a few who haven't got round to coming over here yet so maybe this will be the temptation needed.
snow report
Getting mildly excited about this now. It feels like the opening gambit of the ski season, mostly, I suppose, because it is. Bev is umming and ahhing about what she will do. I think she will come, but how much sliding she will be up to is doubtful.

snowHead snowHead
snow report
Hi all, this may be a really stupid question.........Are there changing rooms at the Snowdome?! crow_pow and I have never been to one before and we don't really want to drive up in salopettes!
ski holidays
Plenty of changing room in the loo area for both ladies and gents, maybe even showers but only living down the road never took advantage of those. Plenty of lockers to keep your stuff in, only down side is (certainly last year) the lockers take 20p and you don't get it back, so come prepared with the right coins....it took me three attempts to lock my stuff up once, having locked my ski pass in the lockers the first time, my tissues in the locker the second time, and then found out I had taken out last year's ski pass the third time.
snow conditions
Looks like I should be able to make this. I hope everyone will be nice to me, I'm turning up by myself...
ski holidays
Cheers sueb, will raid the coin box before we leave home - I'll bring some spares just in case..............
ski holidays
I'm in! Very Happy
ski holidays
...and so U should be Wink
ski holidays
Have a great time all. I am calling in sick with a hurty back. (OH told me exercise classes were bad for me rolling eyes .)
snow report
See you all tomorrow
snow report
Setting out now, see you all soon!
latest report
sitting here at home doing some work and getting texts to say I'm testing whitedots ! I wish..... admin - will pm you, there may be a glitch - and this time not one caused by me being given someone else's snowheads card !
snow report
Thanks again for a great night admin, and great to meet you again and to put faces to a few snowhead names! In order of trying them here are my thoughts on the skis I had a play with.
Scott The Ski. In a word dull! Ok maybe the Tamworth hardpack didn't show them their best (but other skis of similar dimensions did fine) but this is right up there with the BBRs as the most boring skis I've ever tried.
Movement Zip. What a contrast, ok I'll admit I've yet to find a Movement ski I don't like but these are just playful fun skis, perfectly happy in turns as short/long/fast/slow as slope allows and seem to be egging you on to try a bit harder.
Movement Jam. Fab ski and my joint favourite of the night, like the Zip only more so, had me grinning like a Cheshire cat from the first turn
Blizzard Mangnum 8Ti, nice ski I'd happily take if offered as a hire but nothing special.
Armarda ARV, another fun ski but not really ideal for Tamworth, though would love to try somewhere with more room to play, it was surprising quick from edge to edge for a 98mm under foot ski.
Head iTitan, absolute hooligan of a piste ski and great fun! Probably the ski I tried tonight most in its natural environment of hard, fast, piste and it just begged to pointed straight down hill and ridden. Perfectly mannered and almost effortless edge to edge and just great fun when going quickly. Would probably have been my pick of the night if I didn't need skis that will happily chase Toastertalby off the side of the piste, through the trees, over the jumps etc, think this would cope but probably be a bit of a handful as they'd still want to just go faster and faster.

Oh and if the EB guy I was chatting to about Storm skis is reading mine are Crossfires http://www.stormskis.com/shop/performance/crossfire-skier-cross.html

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 14-11-13 15:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
That would be what thy call Karma austin7...
Someone didn't get his info in in time for a card so he erm, borrowed one... ring a bell? Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well that was a damn fine way to spend a Wednesday evening...

List of skis I tried:

Movement Gloss – really liked these, the demo pair were a bit short for me, but longer and on a real mountain, I'd probably love them even more.
Armada TSTW – wider than anything I have ever encountered, but once I got the hang of a wider stance (to stop the brakes from getting tangled with each other) and muscling them onto their edges, I actually quite enjoyed them, probably too full on for someone like me to live with on a daily basis.
Armada ARW – park skis, very cute and nimble and yes they do go backwards!
Atomic Vantage Elysian – surprisingly for fat skis I really liked these, they felt very fast and smooth yet still reasonably easy to turn.
Head Mya No. 6 – wasn't so keen on these, I think the demo pair needed waxing, they felt really slow but nice short radius turn ability.
Scott Luna – loved these, felt really lively and a good combination of turn ability and speed stability (as far as that is possible at Tamworth).
Dynastar Cham 87 – these felt really retro to me, as if I was skiing on 80s skinny skis but with better feel and stability.
ski holidays
My 5000th post so cause for solemnity, I feel.

First up, great night out and good to make/remake acquaintance with snowHeads old and new (though none as old as me, of course!). Admin was on good form and Gregory has grown up massively since last I saw him.

I tried Salomon Enduro LX 800 (or something like that) which were nice steady piste skis and allowed me to do some nice steady piste skiing which was by no means guaranteed as I have not been near snow since 3V last March. I can still ski, but only to a fairly low standard, so no change there then.

Emboldened by this discovery, I tried the latest Atomic Nomad Nobarcodes. Because they were nobarcodes, I didn't get a text message telling me I had only -385 minutes to have "fun" (what???) on them and indeed, I found them disappointing. They are great skis, but every ski is a compromise between rigid edge-holding and agility. They complemented my own abysmal lack of agility by making it very difficult to turn. On the other hand, I have never skied a grippier ski.

Moving on to the Head Supershape Magnums, which I expected to feel like old friends. My first ever skis were Heads and I have always liked the breed. Liked these a lot. Good all-rounders with a pleasing stability and not as heavy as the Nomads. I claim to have almost carved part of a turn on these. These would be on my short-list if I decided to pension-off my 5 year-old Scott Missions.

For my final ski of the night, I decided to go "rad" and try something brightly coloured. (Isn't it great to get such expert opinions?) The young dudes on the Movement stand looked at me doubtfully, but let me loose with some 173 Jams. These skied almost exactly as my Missions do, so they felt fine to me. I expected such colourful things to be tricky and demanding, but they were pussy-cats. I was mildly disappointed, but on the other hand, if you are a intermidiot like myself and want a capable ski with a strong hint of all-mountain about it then these would be great.

Bev tried more skis than expected as she hadn't expected to be able to do much, but tried some Atomics and some nice blue Heads (No 6 -or is that fags?) which suited her well.

We managed to get a small and late beer in the bar upstairs and did traditional snowheady things like reminisce about the old days (of colour), MO day, Lardy bus etc, while the staff tried turning the lights off and stacking the chairs.

So another season has started - my tenth as a snowHead - and the signs are good. Admin maintains his enthusiasm and we seem to be able to keep making those bonds of experience and amity.
latest report
queen bodecia, Was that you telling the Head guy about the distinct lack of wax on the Myas as I (wearing a blue fleece sweatshirt) was getting some skis or other set up. Oh and if they are anything like the mens the TSTW would seem a lot less full on and even more fun with more space or fluffier snow to play with. Tried the mens at Tamworth last year and really liked them but didn't think Tamworth snow was really a fair test of them, tried them at Castleford at that test and ended up buying a pair.
Chris Bish, Next time round if you fancy something big and colourful try the Armada TSTs, more of the feral cat than lap cat about them but still great fun even on the Tamworth hardpack!
ski holidays
Excellent evening, the hours whizzed by. Good to have a beer after and meet some veteran snowheads too!

Obviously for a proper ski test our readers need to know the stats, starting with:
"Conditions", excellent visibility, just under 0 degrees c, no wind, piste conditions good, with a few icy patches ...
Skier: female, [ahem!] 48 today, likes to think she is advanced and getting more and more into off piste. Relatively lightweight.
Ski tested:
Atomic Affinity Storm 167
Nordica Wild Belle 154
Rossi Savoury 7 178
K2 Superburnin 160
Armada TST W in 174
Movement Blink in 167 (94mm underfoot).
Scott the Ski in 165

I skied the Atomics first. I probably didn't give them a fair assessment, as I was also in my new boots for the first time, and this was my first ski since April. I will just say that they didn't do it for me., but maybe I was just in that Bambi like state one gets having not skied for a while!
The Wild Belles-I knew I'd like these as I am a bit of a Nordica fan. As Admin observed, Nordica skis are rather unknown to most uk based skiers (until about 6 years ago, I too kind of assumed they only made boots!). What can I say but go out and try some, they are always fab. Shame they didn't have the 162s in the Wild Belles, but they still held an edge beautifully, and were typically sure footed and just suit my style of skiing.
The Rossi Savoury 7. Obviously the conditions were not exactly ideal for a 106mm twin tip, but I loved them. What a hoot! Turned really easily. Can't wait to try these on real snow (fingers crossed they are on the rack and available in Zermatt in a couple of weeks). I do wonder if the reason I took to them was because I ski 97mm 177cm twin tips as my day to day ski.
The K2s. Turned well, gripped well. Not a style of ski I am used to any more. Horrid top sheet (lurid pink, looks like vomit). Oh how I hate the fact that girly skis are pinked up so much. Yes I know the design of the top sheet should have no effect, BUT IT DOES!
Armada TST w. Felt surfier than the Rossis, and not as as good as carving. In a fight between the 2, the Rossis win, by some margin in my opinion. Didn't actively dislike them though-I can see they are fun off piste.
Scott The Ski in 165. Despite the hype, it didn't really do it for me. Maybe I should have tried the shorter length, but 155 seems too short for me at 5ft 5". Hmmm...need to take a look at these again on an Alp.
The Movements- these were great. 94mm underfoot, carved nicely, gripped well. They should be on the rack in Zermatt and I plan to give me a go there too.

So...my top 3-though the first 2 are so different they are really equal, but the Savoury's are the ones I want to give a go on real snow more.
1. the Rossi Savoury 7s.
2. The Nordica Wild belles. Were I in the market for a piste orientated all mountain ski, they tick the box.
3. Movement Blinks. Very lightweight which was a big plus.

Oh yes...the new boots...am pleased to report Nordica Hell and Back Hike Exp w..(bought online after the end of the season for £150 after the disastrous and costly purchase of Tecnica Cochises in resort in late March which turned out to be too big) get a big thumbs up!
latest report
davkt, yes sounds like that might have been me; tallish, auburn hair, loud, chubby... wink
snow report
admin, it is really quite amazing how such co-incidences can occur, is it not ? Laughing
snow report
Perty, Continuing my attempt to work out who was who was it you I was chatting to about how boring the Scotts were on the travellator?
latest report
davkt-yes, I think it was. We seemed to agree on the Scotts. I need to give em another go I think. I get the impression they need to be skied with a bit of welly!
latest report
Good to meet you Perty!
latest report
Great night, thanks admin! Sorry we couldn'y stop for a beer afterwards, but the long drive south called. Getting up at 530 on Thursday morning was not a lot of fun!
Salomon XT800 (i think) nice but dull.
Blizzard Magnums, not bad, but didn't give me any spark.
Scott the ski, really quite liked them after the first few runs, found they needed a bit oomph to feel their best.
Movement Jam, loved them, need them, want them. Somone give me lots of cash so I can have them!!! Cruised nicely, then point them down and swoop into turns, quick from edge to edge...... I could go on, and on, and on, but crow_pow has told me to shut up now
ski holidays
Indeed. woody3466, I feel your pain. They are great all-rounders with that "take me further" aspect that is so seductive. Movement Jams that is.

Ski season starting to feel closer now it has gone cold.

snowHead
ski holidays
Yep, I love the Jams as well
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy