Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to Les Arcs 2000

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Travelling to Les Arcs in January, does anyone know of any cheap car hire or transport options from Genava airport? Also, how long does the journey take, see mixed times ranging from 2hrs to 3.5hrs ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Geneva Airport to Bourg St M is just over 2 hour in a car with clear roads, up to Arcs 2000 could easily take 30mins. In a coach, add another half hour. Depending on your coach you may have to change at BStM and get a navette from the station area, or your coach might go straight to the ski stations, add time on again if there are stops at Arc 1800, 1600 and/or 1950 en route. I can understand the multitude of time estimates!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks James. I assume that is from the Swiss side of the airport ? Have you had any experience or issues of hiring cars in Switzerland to drive to Les Arcs?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nhodson wrote:
Thanks James. I assume that is from the Swiss side of the airport ? Have you had any experience or issues of hiring cars in Switzerland to drive to Les Arcs?
The Swiss side is much more convenient than the French side. You come out of the rental parking lot on to the main road which runs past the airport, then from there is is just a few minutes to joining the motorway which takes you towards the Annecy or Chambery and from there to Moutiers and the Tarentaise resorts including Les Arcs. I plan on two hours 15 minutes from GVA to Bourg St Maurice, where I normally stop for some grocery shopping, then 30 or 35 minutes to Arc 2000.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nhodson, 2 hours from Geneva airport to Arc 2000 is really pushing it. I normally allow for 3.5 hours from the plane landing time to getting to Arc 1600, which includes passport control, baggage reclaim and picking up the hire car. The drive itself usually takes about 2:30. It can easily take much longer if the traffic is heavy in Geneva, on more than one occasion it has taken 3.5 hours. So your mixed times are pretty accurate.

I always rent my car from the French side and use a booking agent.

Sorry I cannot help with the coach options, but I gather there are plenty during the day at the weekends.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is a long and winding way up to Arc 2000 from the valley and in January you are facing the chance of difficult driving conditions. I would research bus transfers or minbus companies unless you are very confident on mountain roads in snow with chains et al.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When hiring cars ALWAYS from the Swiss / international / "normal" side. Snow tyres are obligatory in Swizzyland in winter months, so you know you will defo get them! Hire companies are a bunch of wierdos with regards to their charging policies, with headline prices being pretty incomparable due to some including / not "winterization" (even thought it is obligatory in Switzerland), collision damage wavers, extra driver...

I have found the following good "Go Compare" type booking portals (i.e. you book through them, they don;t actually supply the car)

http://www.economycarhire.com/

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/

The former gives a second driver and winter config in the price, holiday autos is extra, so don't believe the headline price. The deals on how to get cover for the collision / damage excess differ. I have recently found Economyhire to give better deals (for my circumstances).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Incidentally, you may have to declare you will be crossing the border from Switzerland to France but there is no extra cost.
Other issues:
One route goes via Chambery sticking to motorways
One route, starts off the same way then goes via J16 of whatever motorway (my satnav tries to get my off at J17), South Annecy, to Albertville then onwards. Still some motorway.
Motorways are toll roads, of course.
Chris Bish does caution regarding the road up to Arcs 2000, I would be less worried. It has to be kept open because, although it's a road in the mountains, it is vital for the industry. That said, you will have snow chains and you may have to fit and use them. The local rozzers will insist on it if the conditions demand. If so, you will get a bit grubby. But chains really are excellent for getting you through such conditions.
If you do drive, when you get to Bourg St Maurice, there is a traffic light turning with a big turn right sign to Les Arcs, if you casually disregard this, a couple of roundabouts through town later are a couple of decent big supermarkets. Stock up here! You can pick up signs to Les Arcs from there no probs.
Incidentally, the two supermarkets there, Intermarche and Super-U, have a permanent price war on petrol. On your way back, fill up there. You will have to top up nearer the airport but it's about 10cents[centimes?] cheaper than elsewhere per litre (can be).

Just in case you aren't used to driving in France...
Toll booths can take cash, cards are easier. Scarily, you pop the thing in the machine at the gate and you don't need your PIN! Don't go to the toll booth with only a "t" above it (telecharge - auto-payment lane)
You will need (by French law) a high viz jacket for each person in the car (hire company will give you one), and a triangle (again, provided). All of which must be accessible without you having to leave the car. I find this very sensible.
You must also comply with the stupidist road law in Europe, if not the world, and carry alcohol breath testers, buy a pack of two from Halfords. Make sure you don't leave them in the hire car when you return it!
(Stupid - because if you are concerned, and use a tester, confirm you are ok, you are no longer carrying a tester and are breaking the law!)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just did a check renting a car from GVA for a long weekend - French side £106, Swiss side £160 (no it is not a typo). Winter tyres are not obligatory in Switzerland but recommended. You may need snow chains to get up the resort particularly from 1600 to 2000 so it will be a good idea to have them.

Generally I find the French side a bit more civilised for renting cars: nice cafe next to it, no queues and it is just a walk down the stairs to collect the car, but the walk through the airport is amusing to say the least, particularity when you return.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a direct bus from the airport to Bourg St Maurice which is €60 each way and stops at Moutiers and Aime for the 3 Valleys and La Plagne and then onto Val D'Isere after Bourg. You can get a public to Arc 2000 for €10. A lot cheaper than hiring a car, (especially when parking is about €10 per day in most places, plus tolls and fuel and you'll use nearly a tank full), unless you are a family or group. The bus from the airport takes about 2.5 to 3 hrs, depending on traffic and really isn't much slower than the car. The stop in Moutiers is the main time difference for 20 mins.

Alternatively the funicular takes 8 mins to get to 1600 and the free Navette bus takes you from there to 2000 in 20mins. One way on the funicular is €6 or is included in your lift pass if you are skiing that same day
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can also buy your lift pass (starting the following day) at the lift pass office at the bottom of the Funi and it will let you up the Funi for your arrival journey and also the day after your last day of skiing for your departure.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jamesgurney wrote:
Incidentally, you may have to declare you will be crossing the border from Switzerland to France but there is no extra cost.

Never bothered doing that - remember this is 'continental europe' so it's not entirely unexpected for cars to be driven over the border.

jamesgurney wrote:

You must also comply with the stupidist road law in Europe, if not the world, and carry alcohol breath testers, buy a pack of two from Halfords. Make sure you don't leave them in the hire car when you return it! (Stupid - because if you are concerned, and use a tester, confirm you are ok, you are no longer carrying a tester and are breaking the law!)

I think you'll find that requirement has been suspended - http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/thisfrenchlife/2013/01/alcohol-breathalyser-law-suspended.html

largely because the French population probably went 'no way jose' or whatever that is in french.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was certainly repeatedly suspended due to various excuses - not having enough units in the shops being the main one. Last I heard it came into force in March this year. (your referenced article was dated Jan '13)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nhodson, To do Geneva to Arc 2000 without ever having done it before will take 3 hours. 2 1/2 for those that know the way. Snow chains are essential. Here is the road up high below Arc 1950 in March this year. Can get very bad up there but hey if it didn't then we would have no skiing.

http://youtube.com/v/x0oNbd7z_hk
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just got a quote of £55 one way for one of my family (Snowbus) from Geneva airport to Arc 2000, they suggest the journey will take about 2.5 hours. I would be sceptical of that timescale in bad weather or heavy traffic but it is very convenient and appears to run every couple of hours on Saturdays.

http://www.snowbus.co.uk/

Anyone any experience of using them?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy