Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bak Protection for Kids and Big Kids. Boarding and Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at back protection for our family. One snowboarder and three skiers.

Suggestions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
are you going to be spending (significant) time in the park, or riding trees? If not, back protection is overkill.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the pocito vests
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Impact shorts, wrist protection and knee pads for the boarder first, as boardiac, says back protectors are possibly overkill for most skiing and boarding
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a snowboarder, I've never worn impact shorts, wrist protection or knee pads.
I do wear a back protector and ride pistes and off-piste all season in all conditions.
The wife + kids all wear back protectors for ski-ing, snowboarding, ice skating and skateboarding (- plus knee pads etc. for skate).
I think it's a requirement from the Club des Sports here.
We picked up a deal on some quality Scott ones a couple of seasons back and would recommend them
although other than on my mobike (Dainese) I've not used any other brand.
Still as good as new other than the usual velcro fluff on the straps.
Hardly notice it's there other than on warm Spring days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got these for my kids on recommendation of French instructor last year: http://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/products/2241480026005
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most skiing falls are on your side, if you're looking for ski protection the only thing I would consider are impact shorts. I had 2 bad falls on ice and really hurt my hip a few years ago. Wore impact shorts last yeast but of course never fell so can't tell you how good they are! They have the D3O foam in them which is low profile and soft. I have a great Scott back protector using same stuff for sale on eBay.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mishmash, that's what I have for sale on eBay but the adult version, by all accounts some of the best stuff out there!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This stuff is also supposed to be great. I have just seen a kids back protector and it looks great, seems to be very high quality.

http://www.pocsports.com/en/9/snow-body_armor
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi - My friend broke her back in 4 places skiing with us 3 years ago. She wasn't going fast at all and was just unlucky in taking a bad fall. Since then we all bought back protectors. I'd recommend the flexible gel ones rather than the ninja-turtle types. Mine is Uvex which I bought in France. It's really comfy, helps keep me warm and according to my instructor even improves my position (25 years of horse riding mean my upper back is usually not rounded enough according to him). Ebay are also pretty good for finding these I believe
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds nasty and very unlucky, hope she recovered OK! Unless you are doing crazy stunts etc. back injuries are quite uncommon in skiing, if they do occur they are mainly due to twisting (as opposed to direct impact) causing mainly soft tissue. If you have a twisting type fall that injures your back I'm not sure a back protector could do anything to stop that,they are great items for snowboarding but they are really designed to soak up a direct impact on the spine and won't really stop or aid any type of twisting injuries. I grew up in Switzerland, partly in Davos, and knew a few of the Rettungsdienst guys who took the sledges down, I remember them saying even in the days of old bindings that nearly every trip was for a broken leg, head, hip or knee damage. The reason I am aware of all of this is that I had back surgery for a slipped disc back then so was a a bit wary about skiing after that and looked into it as much as I could.

Not trying to under play the possibility of back injuries, just trying to point out that there is a big difference in skiing and snowboard injuries, most back protection stuff is designed for boarders/racers/freestyle skiers etc. not for your average on piste skier. I wore one once when I tried boarding (never again Very Happy ) and found it a little restricting, how have you found the Uvex ones?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Uvex one is fab. cost about 200 Euros and fits snugly under my slim fitting jackets. In really sunny weather I just wear it over a softshell. Agree that back injuries are far less common -I say that recovering from surgery for my twice ruptured ACL! However, when they do occur they are v debilitating. My friend had body cast, 6 months off work and couldn't sit down (had to lie or stand) for several months. It didn't stop her from skiing again 10 months later however! I just think for the cost and the fact that they cause minimal inconvenience, it's not a big investment in helping to reduce the vulnerability for something so debilitating in the unlikely event it occurs (just my opinion) Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fairuz, agree to all of that, if they less redistricting I would possibly be inclined to consider one! Especially now having said how uncommon back injuries are Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry - new here and realised I've managed to create 2 accounts and just in process of closing one. Both posts above re Uvex are by me (not a doppelganger) Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy