Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intermediate+ Ski's for low weight man.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

First time post here on snowheads.

I'm currently in the hunt for my first pair of skis. I'm fortunate enough to live close to the Rockies and I get out at least a few times every year. Hopefully in the next few years these excursions become more frequent. Up until now I'v been renting my skis, I do have my own set of boots tho. The difficult part is choosing the right pair for me.

First off I have searched the forums, and many other sources. Here's why I haven't had success thus far:
I'm an intermediate - Inter/advanced skier. That said I've never taken formal lesson so my technique is not the best. I take on black runs, sometimes done well, other times with difficulty.
And the big one, I'm a 5'10" male, weighing 135 pounds (61 kg). Ya pretty small guy.

So I've read a ton of reviews, however most are geared towards advanced - expert skis. Now I haven't been on a lot of wider based skis so I'm not sure how I can handle them to start with. And worse, because of how little I weigh I wont have the weight to support most of those skis.

Optimally I want an all mountain ski that I can handle at my level but with room to grow into. I've been looking at most skis between 70-90mm. I do most of the skiing on runs, but enjoy to hit the trees and powder if the terrains not too daunting. I see favorable reviews towards ski such as Rossignol experience 88, but I don't know if I could handle a ski like this.

Any advise as too which skis would be a good fit, or size and general characteristic would be greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi-I weigh about the same as you, but am a girly and 5ft 5in. Take a look at skicanadamag reviews. Last years are online and you can enter your details into their online ski finder which may throw up some interesting skis. Look at their Adventure All Mountain category. Of those from last year-I tried the Nordica Burner last season and thought they were great- really held an edge and inspired confidence. 84mm underfoot, so will cope with some off piste, but easy turning on piste. Also look at the Blizzard Bushwacker-the brother of the ladies' Black Pearl. Very nice ski, and again easy turning (don't be put off by the width).
Obviously try and demo if you can-I think it's easier to do in North America. As to length, the Bushwackers are twin tip so you can go a bit longer. Probably 170cm is the lower end of the length category for non twin tips someone your height.
Finally....a lesson or 2 may improve your technique and help you get the best our of your new skis ! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

a lesson or 2 may improve your technique and help you get the best our of your new skis

yes, why not take a couple of lessons and specifically ask the instructor to recommend some skis for you?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would definitely recommend heading to somewhere you can try before you buy. Most resorts will allow you to hire a demo pair, and if you buy they will take off the hire cost. Try wider as well, if you like to hit the powder you might well enjoy a wider ski off piste, and some of the all mountain skis around will really surprise you on piste.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm probably a little ahead of you in terms of experience, but pretty similar in terms of build - I'm 6"3 and circa 65 kg. And I have especially spindly legs. Even during my last season when I was probably the fittest I've ever been my legs never really got "powerful". Just capable of skiing all day.

I find as a rule that the more the testers rave about a ski, the less I like it. I put this down to most ski testers being heavier and more powerful than me, and so liking heavier stiffer skis than me.

Any ski that I've ever heard described as being solid and reassuring I've found dull and hard to get from edge to edge, whereas the skis described as "a bit chattery" I've normally loved. Some companies seem to not cater for the lardly challenged, I've never skied anything from K2, Nordica or Atomic that I liked, just way to heavy / stiff. Sure they're great skis but they're just too solid for me. I'm now a big fan of movement and Liberty skis, but also like Salomon and some Rossignols.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a look at the Scott Rook. I was looking for skis for my son and these are supposed to be aimed at youngsters and lighter adults starting to go offpiste. Got them for him, but he's yet to ski them so no review just yet.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally would look at something like an atomic blackeye http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/atomic-blackeye-arc-ski-xto-12-binding and would guess a 174 would be the right length in that ski due to the amount of rocker. another good one which is a really flattering ski is the k2 amp 80 http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/k2-amp-80-x-ski-m3-12-binding-2014 again i would be picking up a 170 but is a great piste carving ski with a little more width to get out of trouble in softer conditions
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey thanks for all the replies.

Been away for a couple days, but I got the chance to stop into a few shops and check out some of skis. I was talking to a few guys around my size and build that recommended Line's Sick Day 95. I liked the flex it had, definitely good for my weight range.

That said it was a little wider then I was originally thinking. (95 under foot). I haven't skied something that wide before. Thoughts on this, does it make a large difference? In that range would you suggest staying closer to 170 or 180 length.

As for testing; I would LOVE to test out a pair before I buy them. Im not sure if this will be possible given my schedule right now, but hopefully I can make it happen. Regardless Im trying to narrow it down so if I do get a chance I know what to try out.

Thanks again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a little heavier than you, 75kg and love my 98mm skis in 177 length. A little less grip on really icy hard pack, but brilliant off piste and a great all rounder.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
See if you can demo any wider ski, unless you are used to getting skis carving on edge they may hold you back a little.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy