Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Super-size helmets

Poster: A snowHead
everyone else seems to be posting about helmets so I'll join the party.

I probably would wear a helmet if I could find one which would fit my head. I have tried the biggest sizes available made by a wide range of manufacturers. The only one which came close to fitting was Scott.

Any experts able to advise conclusively on what the biggest helmet available is? Or are there any manufacturers which will measure your head and make you one to measure?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, I have a fairly large head and normally have trouble getting stuff to fit. However, I found a good fit in the XL from Rock. These are I believe imported from Italy by a guy associated with Gloucester (IIRC?) dry-slope. They also have the advantage of being dirt cheap (about £25 including chin-guards), although he only gets stuff in when he has enough for an order so it could take some time; we placed our order sometime in September and haven't got them yet - but should be with us 'real soon now'. I could find details if you're interested.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN, thanks for that - i had been thinking of getting a scott one mailorder but didn't really want to part with my cash unless i had tried on the actual helmet i was going to buy. i think those rock ones come up on ebay so i might put a bid in. £25ish isn't a disaster if it turns out not to fit
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, I always have a problem getting helmets to fit as my head is relatively wide. One of the reasons I haven't gotten one till now. I'd say that you've just got to try these things on. I went into EB at MK on Sat and tried on all their helmets in L and XL. I found them all too loose front to back and too tight side to side except for the Dainese Fun model which in L, was good side to side but still slightly loose front to back, and which I bought. But it has no ventilation and I'm having second thoughts. I'm now thinking to buy with more choice in resort.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, my head's the opposite - quite narrow but long. have a couple of early season trips lined up so hopefully i'll be able to try a full range. hopefully I'll find somewhere which stocks some scott helmets, which (1) come close to fitting me and (2) seem quite good but seem to be quite hard to find
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, I think that I may be able to give you some fairly definitive advice as we have the same deformity Sad
First, I would recommend a "visit" to www.skihelmets.com
They have lots of advice on-line but will e-mail you back if have an enquiry.
They talk about how to size your head and which manufacturers make rounder helmets and which longer, and in what sizes they are available.
Following this I mail-ordered 3 helmets from 3 different manufacturers and suppliers and sent back the two which didn't fit.
I am now the proud posessor of a Leedom XXXL. It is the first helmet I have ever had (m'bike, cycle etc.) that actually doesn't give me a headache.
The suppliers seemed happy to do sale-or-return refunds after I had explained my "quest".
Happy hunting.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick L, are you in the UK or the US Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
UK
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aren't they a US site who rightly charge for transcontinental deliveries?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick L, OK, I see, US advice, UK suppliers, cunning
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If its any use I used this new site that just sells helmets and goggles....www.skidlidz.co.uk they have a printable tape measure and you cut it out wrap it around your head and bingo it tells you what helmet size you should buy plus postage is free and its in the UK.

They have a good range of helmets and the Mango Wind has a cool adjustment mechanism but I went for the Protec Scotty Arnold as it came with inbuilt Ear phones....

Happy hunting.

J
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, the advice offered by Nick L, is very good. I am sure he just might just about forgive me, when I say he has the biggest head in Christendom. No excuses - protect that head! www.skihelmets.com Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Giro do XXL & XXXL sizes I believe but you might have to special order in the UK
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick L, thanks for the recommendation. just measured my bonce - 63cm and oval shaped. Let's see what they make of that!

fatbob, think I tried a Giro XXXL last year. Too small Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
well, I was passing snow and rock yesterday and tried on a Red Shaun White Trace and it fits pretty well. an easy sale for S&R! thanks for the advice gents
ski holidays
Well done for joining the Mekon brigade Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy