Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Group Trip To Alpe D'Huez January 2013 - Have you been?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, Apologies if I have missed this information in another thread. We are planning to head to Alpe D'Huez for a week on 18th January as a group of 20-something males. We went to Les Deux Alpes last year and were reasonably content with the resort on the whole, enough après (just!), reasonably varied area, not to over the top price wise. Hoping to get an idea of how Alpe D'Huez will compare. We are particularly interested to know:

1) In resort prices. Not fussed about eating at 'nice' restaurants. A pizza and several beers will plenty suffice. We decided against Val D'iSere this year based upon sky high beer prices. We all like a few beers after skiing so hoping to hear D'Huez is less extortionate, if only slightly!
2) Thoughts on L'Elose area of resort? We have booked Les Horizon D'Huez apartments and understand they are basic. We would however like to know the real time distances to main lifts and busier bars in an evening? Also is the walk 'doable' in the twilight hours?
3) Has anybody taken advantage of the Serre Chevalier (sp?) day trip on lift pass and if so is it worthwhile and how do you get there?

Any advice/recommendations on happy hours and reasonably priced places to eat would also be gladly received. Thanks,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm off there in December but with family so I'll not be reporting back with any après tales but we went there last summer in the esprit hotel mariandre and I don't seem to remember it being val d'isere expensive but if you are familiar with val d'isere then this might be the place a group of twenty somethings might be after
http://www.lafoliedouce.com/coming-soon.html Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rowla88, I went last February. About 6 euros a pint generally from memory. Pizzas were a decent price in fact there's a decent quiet pizza place in Eclose area. To get from Eclose it's easiest to get one lift across to Bergers and up the mountain from there. Walking into town is easy enough, there's a track past the lift over past the sports centre.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks to both for the replies. Sounds pretty consistent with L2A in terms of prices so that's good. La Folie Douce in Alpe D'Huez sounds an interesting prospect. Lets hope it is ready in time! Would be interested in any tips you have following the December trip
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rowla88 wrote:
La Folie Douce in Alpe D'Huez sounds an interesting prospect. Lets hope it is ready in time!

If its anything like the one at Val Thoren, then it certainly will be "interesting" Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
on the Serre Che bit, many tour ops run a bus over there one day of the week. skiing is supposed to be very good although I have never actually skied there. will be a bit weather dependent because you need to cross the Col du Lauteret which closes in bad weather
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ive skiied there twice, sunny, good mix of dificulties, I like it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went last year as a Group of 20 somethings also, having been to LDA the previous year. Prices are on a par with LDA both in the bars and restuarants/take-aways, and there is enough cheap take-away options to save the pennies for Jaeger bombs. I would say the Apres in ADH only picks up late evening, from 9pm onwards not like LDA where Pano Bar and Umbrella are rocking from 3pm, although the introduction of La Folie Douce will be an interesting and much needed addition, as the town can be dead until 9pm.

Smithy's and the nightclub next door are the main late night venues which can go on quite late and invariably leads to mornings spent in bed negating a hangover rather than on the slopes, hence my preference for the earlier apres in LDA.

It is a 10-15 min walk from Bergers to the main bars and restuarants of ADH, so you probably need to add 5 mins to that for L'Elose. You should be right on the piste-side and have little to no walk to a ski lift. I would recommend taking the 'scare-chair' over to Auris, it's an experience in itself and the area is generally empty with clear pistes and some cracking red and black runs. Very Happy

All in all I prefer the skiing in ADH but the livelier apres in LDA, I suppose it depends on your priorities. We didn't do SC, but there was enough skiing in ADH and the surrounding areas to keep us occuppied for the week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Group trip to Alpe d'Huez Jan 2013?
A DeLorean with a flux capacitor is what I would suggest.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went with a group to ADH a few years back.

Price wise, the restaurants are steep enough if you fancy something with a bit of nourishment! However, we did find the odd place with a decent set menu and overall if definitely seemed cheaper than Val Thorens. The night life was much better in ADH compared to VT if I remember right.

Ski wise ADH is brilliant. Lots of variance in runs. Make sure you hit up Le Tunnel and watch out for the wind chill. Coldest I've ever been was in ADH!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uuu another resort with La Folie Douce.

Looks like sooner or later all major French resorts might have one.

I only had a brief visit in the one in Val Thorens, nice setting and I could see the potential although the atmosphere was a bit flat, it was early though. Did not like the prices and unpleasant bouncers throwing away every pair of skis left too close to the entrance.
Anyway, good news for any resort (I do not pland to visit ADH any time soon) as I generaly prefer apres to any nightlife.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
good resort
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy