Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kleinwalsertal - any experience or advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Having made it to Munich just in time to miss the end of last season, I am now hunched, salivating over snow-forecast / Snowheads on a daily basis in anticipation for the winter ahead snowHead

Just starting to draw up a few one day road trip plans for checking out all that Bavaria has to offer. Kleinwalsertal has caught my eye due to the apparent variety of terrain, including freeride potential with minimal hiking. Am I on the right track here or barking up the wrong tree? If so, are there any other good spots that can be recommended within a couple of hours of Munich?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i think a couple of hours from Munich many other resorts are doable....especially in Salzburg area....

Kleinwalsertal is not bad, but....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gnarbeque, Contact Steilhang, his wife is from that neck of the woods so he knows it well. There is some good stuff out my way too, especially around the Wendelsteinbahn/Bayrischzell as well as further along towards Chiemgau.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kleinwalsertal is awesome and we've had really good snow when we've skied there. We've spent quite a few weeks exploring (on and off piste) around Oberstdorf and the Allgäu area. There's a lot of touring potential but we've only done a few days of dedicated touring out of the Kleinwalsertal. I've got a couple of guidebooks of the area and can dig out the details if you want them. There's definitely some serious terrain around and you're lucky to have the place on your doorstep for day trip skiing Cool

I've actually written about one of our fun days there on the blog accessed by the link below.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, thanks - I'll get in touch. We were in Bayerischzell the other week hiking and it is most definitely on the hit list come snow time! Just found a few other great threads to whet the appetite for what lays nearby (really must learn to make use of that search magic!) Very Happy

juliad, sounds like one of those all time great unexpected days where everything falls into place. Lapping your own private lift 'cat' - doesn't get much better, eh?! Any details would be fantastic if its not too much bother.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gnarbeque, Mike_Pow also did a touring excursion to explore the Mangfall- and Chiemgaugebirge, basing himself in Bayerischzell - might be worth dropping him a line. I know a lot of the tourers in my village use the Kampenwand lifts to access the area behind the Kampenwand or you can start up from the valley further up near Sachrang. That area holds the snow well so the options for later in the season are superb.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Gnarbeque

Skied in the region last year as we have friends in Oberstdorf, found some of the runs to be above what they are suppose to be, ie a blue should more likely be a red and so on. Found the Fellhorn great but had low cloud when we visited so limited our coverage, we managed to ski down into the Austria side which was a bit of a novelty. Sollereck is more a learners slope, so unless you starting out give it a miss. Ifen was good but felt like a long run down from the top, but the views were fantastic. Oberstdorf is great town to base yourself out of, the bus is free to all the slopes and is so much easier than taking the car. Enjoy..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gnarbeque,

Here are the two guide books that we have used for the area:

Allgäu mit Kleinwalsertal und Tannheimer Tal Guide
http://www.amazon.de/Skif%C3%BChrer-Allg%C3%A4u-Skibergsteigen-Kleinwalsertal-Tannheimer/dp/3936740100/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383146216&sr=8-1&keywords=allgaeu+skitourenfuehrer&tag=amz07b-21

Allgäuer Alpen und Lechtal
http://www.amazon.de/Allg%C3%A4uer-Lechtal-Skitouren-Einsteiger-Genie%C3%9Fer/dp/3763359168/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1383146091&sr=8-5&keywords=rother+skitourenf%C3%BChrer&tag=amz07b-21

We're both fans of the area but I can see it being a bit "Marmite" in appeal to others. If skiers like KMs of networked pistes then it won't be the best option for them even with the free bus links. We liked the terrain and the different feel from the larger resorts and areas that we get to ski normally. It does get busier at the weekends for obvious reasons so that might also be a downside for some.

Agree with Simon94's comments re areas. The steeper pistes are up on the Nebelhorn but there were some nice looking pitches off the sides all over the place.

Looks like there's some nice skiing further east but we've not explored that part of Bayern yet, plus some of the Austrian resorts are not that far away either. Have fun exploring!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Worth checking out/posting in the TGR Snow for the Euros thread too, goldmine of info and you should be able to find partners and lots of info. Less likely to be JONGed in that thread too. Be warned though, it's enormous...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, wahh, my head just exploded within 5 seconds of looking! I think I need to invest some more time in navigating the light on dark world of TGR. Though I appreciate it can be very useful, having scored season digs in Las Lenas through a single post a few years back Very Happy

juliad, thanks - they are on the wishlist as we speak. Having cut my teeth in a few mega resorts, personally, all the best snow experiences I've had have been in the lesser known places due to the character you get in a place that aren't all 10 man heated leather chairs and 10,000,000km of linked terrain. I really like the sound of the
Quote:
nice looking pitches off the sides all over the place.
for some preliminary exploring.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
juliad, we are also considering a trip to the area for similar reasons to the OP. Do you have any advice as to the best village in the area to stay for exploring? We would be there for a week. Is Hirschegg a good base? Also, is it best to take a car or are the buses fine for getting about on? Thanks very much!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gnarbeque, like Samerberg Sue said, I have family in the area.
Kleinwalsertal & Oberstdorf has a lot of lift served off-piste and is generally pretty snow sure. Not many Brits go there ( not sure why ). It's not a mega resort; consists of a set of ski areas that are not really well connected, so if racking up hundreds of miles of pistes is your thing this won't tick the right boxes. If I were looking to book something there I would look in Riezlern or stay on the German side in Oberstdorf. Both very pretty, but no raving apres scene.
It's a great area, try it out.
OTOH, there are so many possibilities within a couple of hours from Munich...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gämsbock, As above, Hischegg is fine, but the main ski area is accessed from Riezlern. There is a well oiled bus service to get you around the main ski areas in Kleinwalsertal though, so not really a problem. The main areas in Kleinwalsertal itself are Kanzelwand / Fellhorn ( served from Riezlern ), Ifen ( accessible by bus ) and Walmendingerhorn ( served from Mittelberg ). I spend most of my time on Walmendingerhorn when I am up there these days. You also have a ski area which connects Mittelberg with Hirschegg, which is mostly a beginners area, and another at the German end of Kleinwalsertal at Söllereck, which is also mostly a beginners area. this gives you an overview of the area
The areas could easily be connected up, but for various political reasons they are not. Still well worth a visit though!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang, thanks very much, that's very helpful Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gämsbock, like Steilhang says, the bus service will easily get you around the Kleinwalsertal ski areas. We've always had a car and have stayed in a small village (Tiefenbach) just outside of Oberstdorf and driven up to Kleinwalsertal where we've then used the bus to get around.

If you decide to stay in the Kleinwalsertal but want to visit the Nebelhorn/Oberstdorf area, you should be able to use the bus service to explore but they have only published the timetables until December on this link http://www.oberstdorf.de/urlaub/anreise/busfahrplaene/

Regarding locations to stay. It depends on what you like and how far from the slopes you want to be? Oberstdorf is a town but a nice vibe to it, Riezlern is the largest village in the Kleinwalsertal, and Hirschegg & Mittelberg are a bit smaller.

Another handy website in addition to the kleinwalsertal.com site above is http://www.das-hoechste.de

Enjoy exploring!
snow report
juliad, thanks Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy