Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
last year one of our group took a spill and was pretty dazed and confused for two days - after that we all went out and bought lids. i tooka couple of fairly innocuous spills later in the week and was glad i had my helmet on when i banged my head, a small amoutn of money well spent in my opinion. we were out in fernie BC and there seemed to be a much higher proportion of skiiers and boarders wearing helmets out there then i'd noticed on previous trips to france
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having started this thread I am now pleased to advise that having read the comments posted my wife has now gone out a brought a helmet. She did however manage to buy the most expensive helmet they had!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevinrhead,
Quote:

She did however manage to buy the most expensive helmet they had!

If it fits her properly, then it's a bargain, already this winter we have one SH, ise, who has replaced his helmet after an impact.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i was in selfridges the other day and had to laugh when i saw a prada helmet for £200!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
frostie1861, So I got away lightly with her only spending £120 snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kevinrhead, did she geta giro with the tune ups by any chance??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny wrote:
kevinrhead,
Quote:

She did however manage to buy the most expensive helmet they had!

If it fits her properly, then it's a bargain, already this winter we have one SH, ise, who has replaced his helmet after an impact.

An impact that occurred when I was skiing well within my own limits and was 100% caused by someone else.

When I replaced the helmet I looked at the CP's (which I had) and the Giro's side by side and the Giro's just don't do it for me, not as good a fit and costs more.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
frostie1861, She actually purchased a Scott Slalom Race Helmet because it was the only one that fitted properly.
Seriously I would have been happy even if she had brought the Prada helmet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kevinrhead, hope she bought the proper slamon helmet with the CE mark and not the one designed to protect only from blows to the face from gates
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
kevinrhead, hope she bought the proper slamon helmet with the CE mark and not the one designed to protect only from blows to the face from gates

The full standard is CE EN 1077 I think, I've seen some on sale that actually conform to the cycle helmet standard not 1077 which is the ski one. I think ASTM 2040 is US version.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise,
Quote:

The full standard is CE EN 1077 I think, I've seen some on sale that actually conform to the cycle helmet standard not 1077 which is the ski one. I think ASTM 2040 is US version.

thats the one Toofy Grin Toofy Grin (need one of these smilly things with a helmet on!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Already a proud owner of a Pro Tec Freecarve, I am awaiting my delivery of the Giro Mad Max Snow full face jobbie!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi guys,
Finally back into ski mode after a year spent planning a wedding! Just picked up this thread so thought I would add my 2 peneth.
Firstly, wearing a helmet is a personal choice and it is therfore up to the person concerned to make the choice based on their own personal feelings. We are, after all, putting ourselves at increased risk of injury just by clipping into our skis in the first place. It is a sport where there is a very real posibility of personal injury every time you hit the slopes, so the decision on whether or not to wear a helmet is not a trivial one, but should be made by considering the evidence at hand and making a risk assesment based on your own personnal situation. But it is a decision that should be made!
I have noticed in this particular thread lots of points being made about wearing helmets while driving and generally going about everyday life, and have a few views of my own that may make some sense. Then again they may not, please feel free to comment.

Firstly, as I stressed the last time this thread came up, THE BRAIN CANNOT HEAL ITSELF. Unlike pretty much all the other parts of the body if you damage your brain that is it. You may get lucky in that a few neural pathways will reconfigure themselves to restore some functionality but on the whole once the brain has stabalised after the injury that is it. So, why should we worry about protecting our heads from the rare posibility of hitting our heads and not worry about protecting other parts of our bodies? Because it only takes 1 hit on the head and you are incapacitated for life. A knee can be fixed, granted it might not be quite as good as it was, but life will still go on and you should still be able to earn a living and provide for your family. I am not saying that a helmet will prevent all head injuries, I fully accept that hitting a tree head on is still likely to kill you, in fact it is probably best if it does because surviving a crash like that will probably leave you pretty well messed up. No, it is the small fairly inocuous bumps and bangs that can do the real longterm damage to yourself and your loved ones.

Why don't we wear helmets when driving? Well most probably beacause of certain things called airbags. These have pretty much removed the requirements for helmets in all but the severest of accidents, and I don't think they fit them to competition vehicles. Ah, I can hear the cry now of "well we didn't wear helmets before airbags". Well yes, we didn't, maybe because of ignorance, lack of a suitable convenient solution to the problem, maybe protecting the head in an accident just wasn't high on the agenda. After all we didn't wear seatbelts. Ignorance is bliss as they say. Anyway nowadays we have small, lightweight, comfortable and reasonably cheep options that do provide a suitable alternative whilst skiing. So a choice can be made.

The good old argument that I ski well within my limits and never fall over still amuses me. Some of my most painful falls have been whilst I was cruising at comfortable speeds and taken my eye off the ball just for a second. Please accept a little physics lesson here. When you fall over and come to a stop you need to dissipate kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is equal to mass times velocity squared. Hence if you are pootling down to the shops at, for example, 1 mile an hour you will have a forward kinetic energy directly equivalent to your weight (for any scientists out there please excuse the incorred use of units, it is for ease of understanding). If you now strap on a pair of skis and cruise around at a very sedate 10mph, all of a sudden your kinetic energy has increase by a factor of 100. Therefore you need to dissipate 100 times more energy to come to a stop. If you are really ripping it you can be looking at an increase in kinetic energy of a factor of 1000!!! Now imagine if it is your head that hits first. Maybe this is a reason to wear a helmet skiing and not whilst walking around town. It is this point that makes cycle helmets so necessary where speeds of 30mph (factor of 1000) are quite obtainable and you do tend to go head first into things when you crash.

Anyway, I hope I haven't come across as preaching, I just wanted to illustrate a few points and give you guys something to ponder whilst you try and make an educated decision. Just ask yourself one question, is your current lifestyle really not worth the price of a helmet? After all, as the lottery says....it could be you! And what are those odds?

Oh, if you hadn't guessed, I am a helmet wearer, but only after my, now wife, had described to me the condition of patient after patient that she has had to tread because they had "just banged their head". Make the decision not to wear a helmet by all means, but please consider all the options first. Don't count them out just because "we never did it like that in the past", after all it is largely due to thinking like that that UK manufacturing has taken such a hit. But that's another story.
Safe skiing, have a great one, and maybe see you out there sometime.
Gareth.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big G, excellent post. You've certainly got me thinking about getting a helmet...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Big G wrote:
The good old argument that I ski well within my limits and never fall over still amuses me. Some of my most painful falls have been whilst I was cruising at comfortable speeds and taken my eye off the ball just for a second. Please accept a little physics lesson here. When you fall over and come to a stop you need to dissipate kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is equal to mass times velocity squared. Hence if you are pootling down to the shops at, for example, 1 mile an hour you will have a forward kinetic energy directly equivalent to your weight (for any scientists out there please excuse the incorred use of units, it is for ease of understanding). If you now strap on a pair of skis and cruise around at a very sedate 10mph, all of a sudden your kinetic energy has increase by a factor of 100. Therefore you need to dissipate 100 times more energy to come to a stop. If you are really ripping it you can be looking at an increase in kinetic energy of a factor of 1000!!! Now imagine if it is your head that hits first. Maybe this is a reason to wear a helmet skiing and not whilst walking around town. It is this point that makes cycle helmets so necessary where speeds of 30mph (factor of 1000) are quite obtainable and you do tend to go head first into things when you crash.

I expect this is why the product standard for ski helmets only rates them up to 12mph for head on collisions rolling eyes
snow report
Big G wrote:
THE BRAIN CANNOT HEAL ITSELF.

Big G, agree with your post, although there is SOME evidence that the brain CAN heal itself, to a certain degree.

n.b. I'm not suggesting that the brain gets better like other parts of the anatomy, just a fascinating fact that as swelling of / around the brain decreases and the brain starts to recover there is some evidence that new neurological links can be formed within the brain's structure. Clearly, that doesn't alter the fact that brain injury is, 99.9% of the time, irreversible, but interesting, nonetheless [is that one word or three?]

Personally, I'm with you and am (this year for the first time) the proud owner of a helmet.

One other thing - why are heads so disparate in size??? Took me over an hour to find a lid that fitted!
ski holidays
I've never skied with a helmet until this past weekend, when I skied with a Giro Fuse, I must admit it was great, you never knew it was there. The only issue is that it was definetely hotter especially when walking for my turns!

regards,

Greg
latest report
zammo wrote:

Big G, agree with your post, although there is SOME evidence that the brain CAN heal itself, to a certain degree.

n.b. I'm not suggesting that the brain gets better like other parts of the anatomy, just a fascinating fact that as swelling of / around the brain decreases and the brain starts to recover there is some evidence that new neurological links can be formed within the brain's structure. Clearly, that doesn't alter the fact that brain injury is, 99.9% of the time, irreversible, but interesting, nonetheless [is that one word or three?]

You are correct, and I did mention something alluding to this in my post. Maybe what I should have said is that the brain cannot regenerate itself. Once brain cells have been killed/ damaged no new cells are generated to replace them. This is why brain damage is so dustructive to a bodies ability to function. I agree that in certain cases new neural pathways get created but these are only within the remaining brain structure. Thankyou for pointing this out, good point well made!

G.
ski holidays
We went to our local resort for the first time this winter today and it was very noticeable that the proportion of people wearing helmets was about 50% - last year it was about 10-20%. We tried out our lids (Giro Fuse) and found them very comfy - and my ears were warm!
latest report
davehk wrote:
Does anyone know of a something like a very thin beany that can be worn under a helmet? Specifically to cover the bare bit of forehead that get exceedingly cold when wearing helmet with sunglasses rather than goggles (I hate goggles - only wear them when I have to)

Only just caught up on this. I've seen very thin beanies designed to be worn under helmets in Snowboarding shops. As an alternative I've got a thin balaclava, the bottom of which is thicker turtle fur thus keeping your neck etc warm as well, and it can be pulled up over the nose for those freezing days.
I saw some in Snow and Crock last year.

Helmets- wear them if you want, otherwise dont. I think it's as tired an argument as the skiers vs snowboarders debate.
snow report
dave j and davehk - ive seen one in this years s&r catalogue
latest report
My 2p

I have played ice sports for 30 years (hockey) I love my helmet.

Last week in Saas Fee I did a cartoon style fall on ice - had my helmet on no damage but a bit of a bump in the ice.

With regards to folk talking about head size -neither me nor a pal could find ski helmets that fitted snug - big heads - same prob with motorcycle helmets kinda.

Anyway Ice Hockey helmets go to a reasonable big size for us big heads - folk came up to me wondering why no one else was dual using their helmet - and a hockey helmet isnt a fashion accessory by any stretch of the imagination - and if I hit you on a slope the helmet wont be the bit you are worried about rolling eyes my mass will kill you long before the helmet might.

My ears arnt warm unless I am wearing a balaclava
latest report
Is a skull cap what you are after? A quick google will bring up hundreds of options....
ski holidays
Skull caps can be lots cheaper in cycling shops rather than ski shops.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy