Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
My story....

About 18 months ago I suffered a low speed cycling accident which through an unfortunate set of circumstances resulted in a broken collarbone, a broken wrist, 12 stitches in a head wound, concussion and slight but permanent, brain damage. It's easy to be complacent about wearing a helmet for activity sports until something happens to you.

If I could turn the clock back and choose to wear a cycle helmet the day I came off that bike, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for sharing that Clive. I was involved with the charity 'Headway' many years ago, and have seen the effects of severe brain trauma at first hand. Not something a victim recovers from like a broken bone, but people don't always realise that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevinrhead, www.skihelmets.com - 'nuf said snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevepick,
Why are people more likely to ski into you with a helmet on - it still probably hurts both people? Why is the less than 1Kg of helmet going to hurt you any worse than my rock hard (probably solid right through!) head?

I've skied with lots of people who have hit their heads, some with helmets some without.
The reason I bought a helmet was because someone I skied with was hit and knocked into a bridge - pretty unfornunate, but it ruined her day in a big way.
Skied with a friend who's a qualified instructor but still managed to do a comedy fall (on possibly the easiest green run in the resort) and land on his head (with helmet) and end up going to the med centre and having to repeat "big blue bus" every few minutes to make sure he was OK - he was glad he had a helmet.
Skied with someone else who slipped on a double black (a good skier who definitely should have been there) and dented his helmet in a big way on a rock on the way down.

Personally I've never hit my head (not from want of trying!!), except by the rapid chairlift bar operators and by falling debrit from above (yes, this happens skiing as well) , but have messed up a run I skied several times before no problem and stopped some rocks with my ribs - after that I always wear body armour for more challenging stuff (needless to say I also always wear a helmet - feel vunerable without it) - the first day I used my armour I misjudged clearing a ditch I thought I could get out of no problem, and backflipped into a tree.

I've worn a helmet for a long time, mostly because most of my skiing has been done in the US and Canada where it seems normal - the first time I skied in France (Val Despair) I must have been the only person in the resort wearing one, guess looking 'good' with a nice headband is more important?. I don' t mind whether other people wear helmets or not - it's their choice (except Mrs H, who I badgered into wearing one when she started skiing trees a lot snowHead ) - I know what I'd do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Find this discussion bizarre.

If we were to look at the wearing of seat belts then its fair to say that barring legislation a vast number of people would not wear one.

Its proven (statistically) that seat belts save lives, yes you'll find comments like 'if I'd been wearing my belt I would have been dead....'. But there are a lot of people who owe there lives to the legislation.

I like the rest of my party didn't wear a helmet. Then few seasons ago we saw the effects of a 'trip into the trees'. Now its impossible to say if a helmet would have changed the outcome. However, the individual involved was refused to be accepted as fit to fly due to his head injury (so off the plane and we all waited for his luggage to be off loaded) and his friends said he has no insurance anyway.

Still wonder what the wearing of no helmet and no insurance cost this individual.

I've no axe to grind to make helmet wearing compulsory, but if you've a modicum of common sense then to object on the fashion/I don't like them ticket is nonsense. Like insurance you'll never appreciate the benefit except in the rare occasion you need it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stuarth wrote:
stevepick, Why are people more likely to ski into you with a helmet on - it still probably hurts both people? Why is the less than 1Kg of helmet going to hurt you any worse than my rock hard (probably solid right through!) head?

Thinking about it, the larger surface area of the helmet should distribute the force of impact more!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG wrote:
stuarth wrote:
stevepick, Why are people more likely to ski into you with a helmet on - it still probably hurts both people? Why is the less than 1Kg of helmet going to hurt you any worse than my rock hard (probably solid right through!) head?

Thinking about it, the larger surface area of the helmet should distribute the force of impact more!

And therefore reduce the pain.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
PG wrote:
stuarth wrote:

And therefore reduce the pain.

Er yes - that was the precise point I was making.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Hintertux yesterday I remember noticing and commenting how many people were wearing helmets. Certainly an increasing trend ...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the ice perv,
Quote:

T Bar, hardly a relevant comparison: if you are going to draw parallels between rally drivers and skiers

I was not intending to draw parallels between skiers and rally drivers; I was trying to demonstrate that helmets may offer additional safety to car drivers. As a driver I believe I have a higher risk from driving than I do from skiing ergo if I wish to wear a helmet the more logical place for me to do it is in my car.

Quote:

I don't wear a helmet, but the idea that people who do are fashion victims is total BS.

I don’t know if anyone suggested everyone wearing a helmet is a fashion victim. With the recent increase in usage by younger skiers the idea that some of the use may be fashion driven would not strike me as being unreasonable.

Clive, I sincerely hope you make the fullest recovery possible. One thing I do not wish to do is to trivialise the sometimes devastating effect a head injury can have.

PS:Bernard Condon, Useful web site for buying helmets, but as a source of unbiased information about helmets and head injuries Puzzled

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 19-11-05 17:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I'm reiterating points made by others on earlier pages I apologise.

It is insane really that we don't wear helmets. The really odd thing is that I possess one and have never worn it. I find it a tad uncomfortable, how lame a reason is that! I certainly don't endorse regulation on these matters because at the end of the day we all know the risks whether or not we truly acknowledge them. I'm sure we've all knocked our head at one time or another?

As I'll be spending more time in the park this year (i.e. the two sets of weeks I go away) I will be taking my helmet with me. But then should I be taking body armour, knee pads, wrists guards... Anyone ever heard of the 'Precautionary principle'?! Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG wrote:
Quote:
people who do are fashion victims is total BS.
Have to say stevepick's points on fashion, broken ribs and ACL injuries didn't make much sense to me either! wink I had been wondering what effect an unhelmeted cranium would have on his ribs if the two collided at speed. I was definitely confused by the point about the failure of helmets to protect against ACL injuries, and as for people wearing helmets because the ski fashion industry has persuaded them it's necessary, well.... for someone with a ski racing brother, that is total... erm... how did you describe it, ice perv?

My point about ACL's was ( I thought ) simple. If people are worried about hurting thier heads, then they should also be worried about other bits? Or have I got something wrong, it may have been flippant, but was meant to be clear. I agree that head injuries carry a high risk of permanent damage. If you want to wear one fine, but if you started skiing more than, say , 10 years ago , why didn't you go and get a helmet ( a Joe Brown "bullet" style climbing one, or a motorbike helmet) . These helmets have been around for 30/40 years and would have gone some way to reducing head injuries on the slopes in the 70's , 80's and 90's .Ski Racers wearing helmets? when do you think that started - never seen "downhill racer" 1969, why weren't we all wearing helmets to ski after Robert Redford wore one???? Puzzled . We were all ignorant then I guess - thats my point about fashion - its become OK to wear a helmet and you can now buy that most important thing a ski helmet that's shiny and cool Very Happy . Thats the fashion part. By the way don't just try to refute the argument by calling it BS, thats not very constructive, and doesn't carry the debate

This thread made me go and look up the numbers, to me the injury rates seem low and I am happy to manage the risk by basically doing nothing , other than trying to ski carefully - ski racing is a diferent matter - when racing you are pushing your skills to the limit, I struggle to find pistes that uncrowded these days! . It doesn't always work, I went down the Grand Couloir in courchevel in the mist and fell over the lip at the top , but no one saw me! And I didn't hurt anything, lucky yes , stupid yes . Sometimes we all do silly things on/off piste wether we wear helmets or not.

One point that I (maybe wrongly) have read into the posts of the helmet wearers is the "sorted" feeling of saftey that a helmet provides. If you get injured skiing , the risk is much greater that you will injure knees and limbs, yet how many skiers are going about with wrist protectors or knee braces ( both widely available). Why not neck braces? Where does this all end? Should we all wear suits that make us look like michelin men so we never get injured whilst skiing? Madeye-Smiley ( yes some people have accused me of looking like a michelin man when skiing , but its my shape honest! Embarassed ) . Its a rididulous extraplolation , but if the percieved risk of head injury is high enough for you to wear a helmet , then what other protective saftey kit do you all wear ? Only a few people have mentioned armour. Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevepick wrote:
If you get injured skiing , the risk is much greater that you will injure knees and limbs, yet how many skiers are going about with wrist protectors or knee braces

Funnily enough, in the days of leather boots, the injuries used to be to the ankles. Most skiers now wear plastic boots which protect the ankle. Or are you still wearing leather, because plastic is just fashionable?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Funnily enough, in the days of leather boots, the injuries used to be to the ankles. Most skiers now wear plastic boots which protect the ankle. Or are you still wearing leather, because plastic is just fashionable?

I know, I also wonder if helmets will "transfer" injuries to other sites , necks? I still wear leather when I telemark now and again, but I succumbed to plastic for alpine in 1980 Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevepick, I do think that part of the reason for helmets' proliferation these days is the fact that they can now be made light enough and cheaply enough for people to think that, despite the small likelihood of suffering a head injury, it isn't a waste of money to buy them and it isn't too inconvenient either

climbing helmets aren't intended to deal with the same types of impact as skiing helmets so they are probably better than nothing but still not that good for skiing

but the point remains, it's totally up to you what you want to do. like you, i take issue with the first post where one adult is basically trying to take the decision for another adult
snow report
you could make an arguement for wearing a crash helmet nearly everywhere.. crossing the road, using the stairs, getting out of the bath, having more than 5 pints..
ski holidays
stevepick, I struggle to understand your view that people only wear helmets because its fashionable. I cannot understand what you are basing this opinion on, but if this was the case then surely their use would be more prolific. I definately don't feel particularly fashionable when wearing mine in Europe. Indeed, one can sometimes feel very self-conscious. All the same, if it were just the fashion, then so what? People like to look good when they go on holiday don't they?

Quote:

One point that I (maybe wrongly) have read into the posts of the helmet wearers is the "sorted" feeling of saftey that a helmet provides

I haven't noticed this in the majority of helmet wearers' posts. As for me, I fell and hit my head on hard pack once. It hurt. I thought, "What if there was a stone right there where I hit my head?" So I got a helmet. Do I care about all the statistics relating to helmets / head injuries? No. Does a helmet give me piece of mind? Yes. Does it make me ski like an idiot? No. (don't think so anyway).

Do I wear a helmet on my bike? No. (How's that for hypocrisy).
snow conditions
its probably more likely you'll smack your bonce on a push bike than on the slopes.. mind you i find that kind of hypocrisy highly impressive and i commend you sir.. Cool
snow report
Quote:

its probably more likely you'll smack your bonce on a push bike than on the slopes

Not happened to me in about 24 years of bike riding. I know I should get a bike one though, but then what would I do with all that pent up hypocrisy? Shocked
snow report
conor wrote:
stevepick, I struggle to understand your view that people only wear helmets because its fashionable. I cannot understand what you are basing this opinion on, but if this was the case then surely their use would be more prolific. I definately don't feel particularly fashionable when wearing mine in Europe. Indeed, one can sometimes feel very self-conscious. All the same, if it were just the fashion, then so what? People like to look good when they go on holiday don't they?

Quote:

One point that I (maybe wrongly) have read into the posts of the helmet wearers is the "sorted" feeling of saftey that a helmet provides

I haven't noticed this in the majority of helmet wearers' posts. As for me, I fell and hit my head on hard pack once. It hurt. I thought, "What if there was a stone right there where I hit my head?" So I got a helmet. Do I care about all the statistics relating to helmets / head injuries? No. Does a helmet give me piece of mind? Yes. Does it make me ski like an idiot? No. (don't think so anyway).

Conor

Your first point - Helmets -Fashion : Like I said ski racers were wearing helmets in the 60's - they didn't appear in the general skiing population until 5-10 years ago why not? Apparently modern helmets are comfortable and afordable , so for most of the last 30 years people have been willing to trade expense ( in an "expensive" sport ) and comfort ( in an uncomfortable sport - cold , sore boots, legs etc) for unprotected heads? That seems a little daft to me although I may be wrong in assuming the injury risks have been stable over the past few decades.

Your second point - the "the sorted" aspect of helmet wearers. Again like I said I may be wrong, it just seems to me that the folk wearing lids feel a lot safer wearing one - thats what I read into the posts. I would question that view, a lid will protect you from one possible ( of a range ) of ski injuries. You may have dramatically reduced the risk of head injury , but they are only a small part of the range of injuries you might suffer ( not disputing that head injury is poss the worst to sustain though) . Please don't think because I was hit by someone wearing a lid that I think all lid wearers are mad/irresponsible/bad skiers .
snow report
I find that alot of folks wearing hemets are the less experienced and often less confident ones. The people who most frequently wouldnt wear them are those who are much more confident and of the opinion they dont need them.... just another spin on things....
snow report
I wear a helmet and I'm less experienced (compared to some people) but more experienced (compared to some other people).

It doesn't really matter how 'experienced' you are the nature of 'accidents' is that they can happen to anyone.

The 'it only happens to other people' attitude is very prevelant, after all look at the number of people who still won't wear a seat belt.

Its fine that everyone has a freedom of choice but its obvious that in some circumstances people need to be compeled to do something even if its for their own safety. Whether helemt wearing needs to be compulsary is something thats driving this thread.

As I've posted before the reason I wear a helmet was the after effects of another skiers trip into the trees. It seems he was skiing on piste and was hit by another skier which sent him off piste and into the trees. His head injuries were pretty bad. Wether a helmet would have made a difference is of course hard to say but it seems reasonable to expect that his injuries would have been reduced.

Its surprised me how few ski injuries I've seen over the years and all the other people I know that ski never seem to have had a problem. But one day it could happen and it could be any of us and to spend a few quid and possibly look a bit daft (though helmets look OK to me) seems a small price to pay.
ski holidays
antoeknee,
Your point about seat belts is interesting and possibly pertinent to whether or not wearing helmets is likely to reduce injuries.

Whereas there is little doubt that if you are involved in a car crash wearing a seatbelt reduces your chances of injury Risk Compensation
Suggests that you may not reduce injuries by introducing seat belt legislation. The injuries in some places shifted from drivers to pedestrians as more people drove faster with seat belts on killing those walking on the roads.

The possibility that you may transfer a very small risk of serious head injury to a greater risk of injury to another part of your body or to other piste users remains a real one. It is one of the reasons I would question those who condemn us non users of helmets who judging from photos on the snowMedia zone remain the silent majority. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
I'd be more worried about several Kg's of ski flying through the air (whether still attached to a skiers boot or not). The impact from a helmet, spread over a larger area, would be less traumatic. And poles would seem to be a good candidate for causing damage.

Then of course there is the skier himself, imaging 100+Kg crashing into you especially if your unlucky enough to have an elbow/knee as the leading contact.

Injuries to the head are by far the most serious and anything that takes away a risk should be considered carefully.

Hopefully you realise that I'm happy to let people decide for themselves. Just seems that those same people are condeming users of recklessness (seems a strange on this as I'm still aware that I have arms and legs that can suffer), risk to other users (lots of other things to consider here) and fashion item (seems a bit spurious as the last thing you can say about helmets is that they are fashionable).
latest report
I only meant the point about experienced skiers as to suggest that it is that group who would be most complacent, not that they are necessarily at any different risk in the situation we are speaking. The silly factor I see is that this is the group who should best realise best that the unexpected does happen. It is the same as kids in helmet. Those who should traditionally be at least knowledgeable seem to have little dispute of the helmet logic, where as those with most experience very much seem to dispute.
snow report
FWIW, to back up the poster who was in Austria, when we were in Zurich on Saturday it was very noticeable how many people were buying helmets. We did too, but mostly because we had loyalty points to spend by the end of the year and free helmets seemed a sensible idea.
snow report
buns, if what you say is true, doesn't it suggest to you that maybe the inexperienced people have got the helmet logic wrong?
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
buns, if what you say is true, doesn't it suggest to you that maybe the inexperienced people have got the helmet logic wrong?

Quite correct..... but would you openly say that wearing helmets on piste is a total waste of time?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
in the same way that wearing them to cross the road is... yes..
ski holidays
So the skier that died this month in Banff, on the groomed piste, would have.......

Ah. What the hell. It's like trying to change someone's skiing. Impossible unless they have an open mind and are ready to change.
snow report
veeeight wrote:
So the skier that died this month in Banff, on the groomed piste, would have.......

Ah. What the hell. It's like trying to change someone's skiing. Impossible unless they have an open mind and are ready to change.

I think you are quite right, it probably would take a serious injury or death very close to someone adamant.... rather a shame for the unfortunate party!
ski holidays
I think that having an open mind works both ways. The choice to wear a helmet or not is a personal one. To be able to know whether it is effective to wear one is a public health issue which needs analysis of the statistics.

From a medical point of view, to say that a skier would have died if they hadn't been wearing a helmet, or would have died if they hadn't, is absolutely meaningless. It is impossible to make a statement like that about an individual case, as trauma cases just don't work like that. I can say this based on my previous experience working as a trauma surgeon.

So when I look at the evidence for wearing helmets, I would have to say that the story is not as clear as everyone in the pro-helmet lobby seems to think that it is. Although wearing a helmet may protect you from some head injuries, the incidence of significant head injuries when skiing is low enough that the net benefit of wearing a helmet is likely to be small in terms of your overall safety on the slopes.

As for helmets being in fashion, I think that it's a reasonable thing to say if you take the meaning of fashion to mean a "prevailing custom", which is not the same thing as being a fashion accessory! There are fashions in everything, from computer programming to medical science. In the medical world drugs come in and out of fashion, often driven by the marketing departments of the drugs companies, I imagine that the helmet industry is much the same, although likely to be less well regulated.
snow conditions
Just what kind of low risk are we talking about 1 in a 100, 1 in a 1000 or greater?

Personally I'll wear my helmet and be thankful when the 1 in whatever event comes along.

Whilst its impossible to say if a helmet made a difference surely the same argument could be applied to any safety equipment, if someone’s survives can we prove the equipment saved his/her life. Well no, its entirely possible someone can survive an accident (even a very bad one) and survive. Sometimes without any injuries as some of the sensationalist TV shows catalogue.

Seems like everyone should take a step back and respect the decisions of both the pro and anti brigades.

In a chaotic scenario such as skiing we'll only have anecdotal evidence and not proof.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Quote:

Although wearing a helmet may protect you from some head injuries, the incidence of significant head injuries when skiing is low enough that the net benefit of wearing a helmet is likely to be small in terms of your overall safety on the slopes.

A breath of logical air in the discussion. However, although the net benefit is likely to be small, the cost is small too. Cheap in financial terms (a helmet should last some years) and now cost-free in terms of slope cred, too. So it might still be a highly cost-effective safety measure for an individual who is confident that wearing a helmet will not make them more reckless. Can anyone think of a comparable benefit from an expenditure of, say, £60 over 6 years? (Expenditure of more than this for fashion/slope cred reasons will not increase safety). Also, although head injuries might only account for a very small proportion of the accidents on piste, the seriousness of the consequences also need to be weighed into the risk assessment. As someone said above, it is like insurance. The statistical risk of my house burning down is very small and, using the kind of population-level economics used in public health, it makes absolutely no financial sense to insure against it (insurance companies only exist to make money). I do insure my house against fire because I can easily afford to do so, but could not afford to rebuild it if it burnt down. For similar reasons I might decide to pay privately for a health screening test which is, quite rightly, not available on the NHS because it is not economically justified.

Perceptions of risk are a very unscientific and personal business. As the discussion above illustrates. Personally I wear a helmet snowboarding but not ski-ing. No sense in that. rolling eyes
snow conditions
antoeknee, if enough data is collected and analysed then we will eventually have "proof" as to whether helmets are helpful or not. The whole ethos of public health research is to try and find out what the truth is in cases like these. One thing that we can say for certain is that anecdotal evidence is not a reliable way of assessing a health intervention quantitively, and if you are basing your decision to wear a helmet on anecdotal evidence, it cannot truly be said to be a logical decision.

You are right, you can never prove that any safety equipment saved someones life in an individual case, that's why you need to collect data to look at the overall picture. Over many incidents you can assess the effectiveness or not of any given intervention. Generally if something does make a marked difference it is relatively easy to prove, if it makes a small difference it is a lot harder. It is very difficult to prove something makes no difference at all. So far the evidence would seem to show that helmets probably make a small difference.

It seems to me that it is the helmet wearing people who tend to get wound up about other people's decisions to not wear helmets rather than vice versa. The people who don't wear helmets only seem to get wound up when a helmet wearer tries to tell them what to do. I've seen quite a few threads on this site started by people who feel that they should persuade others to wear a helmet, none the other way round.
ski holidays
pam w, you should replace your helmet every time it gets a bang for it to remain effective according to the manufacturers, which would seem to put the price up significantly. The cost is not just monetary as well, it's also in terms of convenience. Some people don't find it a hassle to wear them, some people do. For the people who do, the cost is probably not worth the benefit.
latest report
It is actually not possible to do a scientific study on this...... by the very nature, a helmet will protect. We can all argue whether it simply shifts an injury in a high speed incident, but nobody can argue that a 'bump' on the head is going to cause less hurt with a helmet on (this i suspect we can prove scientifically!). So that means that lower speed crashes with a helmet may simply never be reported..... so your data set is incomplete

Adam
snow report
Just been reading some ot the info on ski-injury.com. This doesn't make things any clearer really as there is a lot of poorly collected data.

Some interesting points though.

American Medical Association's report "Helmets for Recreational Skiing and Other Winter Sports in Children and Adolescents". Personally, I agree with its conclusion that there is insufficient evidence to support mandatory wearing of helmets on the slopes. Yes, injuries may occur and yes, helmets may help reduce them. But the fact remains that the risk of such an injury is far too small to insist that everyone wears a helmet. Personal choice at the end of the day.

The take home message is that the majority of those who currently wear helmets are a defined group of younger, male and more aggressive skiers – the group well known to be at high risk of injury anyway. Many of the high speed impacts with solid objects lead to multiple injuries that no helmet could prevent or reduce. The wearing of a helmet should not be viewed as a panacea against fatal injury and should not give the wearer a false sense of security. Whilst helmets may help reduce the incidence of more minor head injuries and lacerations (especially the ones we see in Scotland) they are less able to protect the foolhardy skier who pushes his or her limits and who (inadvertently) ends up wrapping themselves around a tree. To give a stark example, biomechanics have demonstrated that in order to protect the head against a direct impact blow at 30 mph, with currently available materials, a helmet would need to be at least 18cm thick, 50cm wide and weigh 5kg+. Hhhmm….stylish. Radar data collected from ski areas suggests most intermediate skiers regularly travel at between 24-38 mph.

And the conclusion

So, to conclude, helmets are a good idea and will protect you against many of the common injuries that the head is susceptible too. They are especially important for children, who are at highest risk of snow sport injury. In addition, there is no evidence to date that helmets predispose the wearer to a higher risk of neck injury or cause injury to others. However, it must be remembered that wearing a helmet will not protect you if you have a high speed impact - so go careful, especially if there are trees near the pistes you're on.

This echos what we have all said, make up your own mind and respect other decissions.
snow report
buns, it's not possible to do double blind RCT on this, but there are other methods, which are used in public health research all the time.

Secondly in medicine, every intervention has unexpected effects, unwanted as well as wanted. The biomechanics suggest that wearing a helmet may be beneficial, but cannot be taken as proof that they work.
latest report
Kramer, as you are well aware from your profession, one of the concepts that are used to evaluate the usefullness of an intervention (e.g.wearing a helmet) is the "number needed to treat" (NNTT) - in this case this could be defined as the number of skiers needed to wear ski helmets for 1 week to avoid one serious head injury.
This concept can be applied to smaller specific sub-groups (like antoeknee, 's
Quote:

younger, male and more aggressive skiers
when presumably the number would be lower than experienced skiers who don't tend to take risks, but both figures are I suspect quite high.

However, in the medical world the NNTT tends to be off-set gainst two things - the cost of the intervention, and the severity/seriousness of the problem that the intervention is trying to prevent.

pam w, points out that the fiancial cost of a helmet is not v high - esp when compared with other costs associated with skiing, and other earlier posters have made reference to the heavy personal cost of a serious head injury.

Putting all these parts of the equation together I bought a helmet last season (having skied without for 20 years).
But this is my own personal choice and e.g. my wife doesn't wear a helmet (she skis less aggressively than me but has had two decent skiing-related injuries) partly because I think that she feel that it might ruin her hair Confused .
My sons have done so up till now - but my 20 yr old is off skiing in VDI with the University in two weeks and has not taken one with him. Since it would be me and my wife who would have to pick up the personal tab if he did have a serious head injury, I almost feel that it is my right to insist! wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy