Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes in Jan - Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, new snowheader here!

Ive just booked up to go to L2A for a week in jan (11th-18th.) Never been and heard good things. I have a small number of questions to ask:

1) What is the nightlife/bars REALLY like there? All reports say good nightlife but a little more info would be helpful!
2) Will the skiing be OK in jan? Snow history reports suggest significantly lower cm's than other reports
3) Ive booked a bens bus transport. Has anybody used this service before? Any info would be appreciated
4) How long would you say it takes from landing in Grenbole to grabbing baggage and being outside ready for transfer? Bens bus allocated us a 20:50pm slot and we land at 20:20pm - giving us half an hour.

Thanks in advance for the help!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
b_griffin, I shall be there then, I've probably been for 13 weeks or so previously. Welcome to Snowheads Happy

1 I don't go really big on nightlife but there's a decent selection of bars and at least one nightclub (I've never been). Apres bar at 2600m and Smokey Joe's (at least) has live music straight after skiing.
2 Yes it will be great Happy It goes up to 3600m so if the snow is bad there there's no hope for most other resorts.
3 Used them several times, very reliable
4 Half an hour might be tight, passports and reclaim isn't the quickest. However Bens Bus track arrivals and don't just leave people behind
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Claude B wrote:
b_griffin, I shall be there then, I've probably been for 13 weeks or so previously. Welcome to Snowheads Happy

1 I don't go really big on nightlife but there's a decent selection of bars and at least one nightclub (I've never been). Apres bar at 2600m and Smokey Joe's (at least) has live music straight after skiing.
2 Yes it will be great Happy It goes up to 3600m so if the snow is bad there there's no hope for most other resorts.
3 Used them several times, very reliable
4 Half an hour might be tight, passports and reclaim isn't the quickest. However Bens Bus track arrivals and don't just leave people behind

Great thank you! It says on the website when I booked that our EasyJet flight is most suited to that slot, so im assuming that everyone else on the flight will be the same predicament time wise. I have my fingers crossed for a smooth transition then. Im a huge panicker when it somes to transfers and being on time for things Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
b_griffin, welcome! I was there last Jan and all good!
1) I don't go out much but others in the group found plenty to entertain them, loads of bars dotted round the village ranging from quiet to riotous.
2) Plenty of snow and a couple of powder days right from the village to the glacier about a mile higher, the snow was still there from top to bottom and more powder days at Easter only a couple of weeks before the end of the season this year.
3) Bens bus spot on, don't worry if you plane is late they will sort you out, friendly efficient service.
4) As Claude says Bens Bus won't leave you stranded, I've been on the last bus with 2 kids in tow with a similar landing to departure gap (is it EJ from Birmingham by any chance, thats the one we were on) in the past and no problem. Grenoble is a tiny airport.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi davkt

Good, i like varied apres ski. Im going with my boyfriend so we wont be hitting party clubs but a few bars will get a good seeing too! Great to hear about Bens Bus being understanding as well and yes from Birmingham. We went skiing last year but flew from Gatwick - never again! Much easier to fly from Birmingham as we live in Coventry.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and Bens Bus, went out in Jan on an early flight from Luton that was delayed till we were meant to be landing or thereabouts so rang Ben to to rearrange. 'Oh don't worry they still haven't opened the airport so we'll just wing it once folks start to arrive' and sure enough got there, found the rep and was put on the first bus going the right way, time at the airport about 45min.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh though one word of warning, last year someone at the same hotel as me had their camera bag nicked while unloading from the bus, put it down, unloaded skis and backpacs and it was gone when he came to pick it up. Probably not an issue the time you get in but keep an eye on things as you get sorted.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 29-10-13 18:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow sounds like excellent customer service - im hoping for the same! I know a lot of transfers in the past (not through skiing) dont really tend to wait around. Its often the large coaches that dont seem to care whether people are late or not.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok thanks for that, thats a shame. I usually keep anything like that zipped up in my handbag so will keep a close eye on it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes Bens Bus are up there with the best in terms of CS, to the extent on one trip back to the airport when someone didn't show at what was the last pickup point they tracked them down by phone then went back into the village to pick them up.
Oh and we have some folks who work in L2A year in year out on the forum who may well be along in due course to suggest the places to visit and avoid!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't comment on point 3, but been to LDA 3 times, last visit was end of January 2012. The snow was absolutely fantastic, but very very very cold - minus 30-odd degrees on the last day with wind chill. Unless you are an absolute beginner, you are unlikely to be on the lower slopes, but even these were excellent when we were there. Remember, the resort is high and you are skiing on the glacier - whilst snow is not guaranteed I wouldn't have much worries.

Nightlife, it is what you want it to be. We've done SC, chalet, and HB in LDA, so what we've wanted has varied each time. Yes, if you want clubbing until the small hours, there are a couple of places, but not something we would look for. Plenty of bars, some with apres entertainment (Smokey Joes, for example), something to suit everyone.

Just on point 4, well sort of, Grenoble airport is a bit basic. And it's bedlam on a Saturday morning in departures - so be prepared!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jocrad, have on one occasion only made the flight home by the skin of my teeth after dear old EJ decided to check in 3 flights using only one desk and the security queue which I ignored occupied pretty much all of the departure hall.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Grenoble airport is a bit basic

And it's not much better on a sunday!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last year there were 2 Manchester flights - Thomas Cook and Thomson - one was on the long bit of the "L" at check in and the other on the short bit. Cue chaos. With everyone all mashed together in no semblance of a queue, not only were you asking "Is this the Manchester queue?" you were also asking which airline!

And, when we should have been boarding, we were still in the line for security. Then only reason I didn't have a major panic is that there were people far behind us that were also on our flight, and nobody in authority seemed to be having a flap about getting us through. Think most flights went late that day, by far the worst I have ever known it, only once have we managed to have enough time to grab a snack and a drink, when we've done TO transfers at least.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're going to do any ski fit before you go make sure you do plenty of upper body as well! Way too many routes there that require skiing quite long paths. Some of them, even if you bomb them you just can't get enough speed to get to the end of them. I quite like L2A other than that.
snow report
Oh yes.... And last year we had 2 days at the top that were close to -40 with wind chill, so cold! That was 2nd week on Jan. Snow was great though!
snow conditions
Thanks for the replies guys all really helpful! Those manchester flights sound like a nightmare Jocrad!
snow report
b_griffin, Just take a continental attitude to the queues and you'll be fine!
latest report
One more question folks (sorry!):

Just had a look at easiski's site and ski tips (http://www.easiski.com/TopTips.html) They suggest not to buy lift passes in advance and get them at the resort. Is this something you would advise? Is it cheaper or is it actually the same price? Thanks
latest report
Same price, Charlotte at Easiski (we use her regularly, a great instructor!) used to get a small discount on tickets but that dissapeared last year. Though you could get in touch with Lizzard on here to check the current situation as she works in the pass office over the winter.
snow conditions
Hey was looking at stuff for LDA and came across this and I'm there same week. ill only be my second ski holiday with my first in Sauze. If you go to google maps you can actually do some ski runs as they did a streetview for it Very Happy
ski holidays
b_griffin, it's the same price, but if you're going to buy online you should get themposted to you. Otherwise there's no particular advantage, as you have to queue to picke them up anyway.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy