Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France:Aravis - Le Grand Bornand /La Clusaz / Manigod-Merdassier - 2013/2014

Poster: A snowHead
MazDave, Another amazing picture. What a day to finish on - saved the best till last! We're looking forward to being in lgb again next weekend and hoping for similar conditions.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MazDave, stunning
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MazDave, fab photos - just caught up with them as the snow totalled our phone line and internet access (at a friend's house at the moment)...hopefully back on line next week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the compliments, only taken on my iPhone (with a bit of post processing)
In Paris now for teenage son's birthday meal at the Hard Rock Cafe. No driving tonight - bring on the vin...
Hope the good conditions continue for everyone out there...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It seems awfully quiet in here, isn't there anyone out there at the moment
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Renry, Will be there on Saturday. gvj, is our man on the spot but his internet is down at the moment.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry, Orange are being their usual speedy selves repairing our phone line so on the wifi @ Marco's Bar at present. Conditions lovely at present, snow's been topped up. Sun is shining. Usual degree of New Year crowds = only downside. We're back in the UK shortly until 8th so it'll be over to Loatie - on past form expect lots of fresh snow just before they arrive Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am over in croix fry 7th feb so I will have a few questions for those in the know
a little nearer the time. I will be our first family ski holiday. Myself and the wife
have plenty of miles under our skis but the children ( aged 6 and 8 ) are yet to experience
the mountains. Both have learnt and done well at exscape and are very much looking
Forward to our holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good choice. The nicest and quietest part of the La Clusaz area imo, especially with youngsters in mind
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sun still shining & cold here - weather due to become more unsettled over next few days, rain in the valleys, fingers crossed for a snow line lower than the 1500m forecast at present; HAPPY NEW YEAR to all snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not good news at the moment ....... Arrived in pouring rain this morning at Geneva and continued to rain throughout journey to le grand bornand. Pretty depressing to drive through a very green petit bornand with water cascading down the mountainside.
During climb up to chinaillon rain turned to wet snow and was quite prolific for a time. Could see some hardy skiers on homeward slopes from our apartment but conditions pretty miserable.
However, the good news is that the temperature is due to fall and if the precipitation continues there should be some decent amounts of snow falling overnight and tomorrow and it doesn't take much snow for le grand bornand to perk up! Will report back tomorrow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
loatie, hope it perks up for you! We had a decent fall this afternoon, after the rain turned to snow around 1 pm, but it has now stopped completely (for some time) and the wretched stars are coming out! Normally I like starry nights but.........
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very happy to be able to report that overnight precipitation did indeed fall as snow. A good foot if not more on the cars this morning. Gorgeous day on the slopes with blue skies and sunshine. Very nice conditions off piste too according to mr loatie - I dabbled a bit and I'm sure if you are more proficient than me it would have been great fun! Not sure what the rain/snow level was but as far as I could see down into le grand bornand was white and not green. Set fair for the next few days. I will try and post some photos as MazDave, has given me some tips.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snow report
loatie, lovely pics Very Happy Back out to La Giettaz in Feb so hoping for a day in LGB or La Clusaz.
snow report
Nice to see some up to date news. Thank you
latest report
It was absolutely beautiful today. Thick, soft, light snow, never got heavy even in the bright afternoon sunshine. No crowds, still cutting fresh lines on Mur Edgar at 11am, went over to Col de Balme and got more knee/thigh deep powder amid the booms of the avvy cannons. A few snaps: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96786461@N08/sets/72157639437308676/

Some of the lower terrain started to get skiied out by the end of the day. Some rocks here and there and some grass on the sunnier slopes down low. There will still be great snow for a week at least, though the forecast is pretty dry after that. . .
snow report
OK, I gotta admit, thigh-deep is an exaggeration. Not that I'm complaining about knee-deep, but it wasn't thigh-deep. Even on my hobbit legs.
ski holidays
Bit of a strange day today - lovely and sunny and warm (admittedly not very January like!) but unlike yesterday when the pistes softened beautifully in the afternoon, today they remained very hard and icy in the main. Found some places which were better than others but couldn't quite work out why, with the warm temps, the pistes were so hard. Good day for a few more coffee stops than usual and admiring the scenery.
snow report
Couple of pics from today
[/URL]

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 7-01-14 17:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
ski holidays
snow report
Nice pictures Tess. Missing it here in the very wet UK.... Sad
snow report
Much better day under ski today. Took a trip to the market in lgb this morning so didn't get out till lunchtime. The pistes had softened nicely by then and were very pleasant to ski on. Temperatures remain ridiculously warm for January with people sitting outside in tee shirts. Consequently the off piste is shot but a very lovely day to be on piste in the mountains. Would prefer this over white outs and murk any day but is nevertheless a little disconcerting to be so hot on January 8th! Would normally be looking forward to a sit by a fire and a hot toddy at the end of the day instead of sitting with the patio doors open to type this!
latest report
Sounds better, loatie, heading back your way overnight. Will probably still be checking emails @ Lgb as phone line still out, but we must meet up in next few days, will call you.
ski holidays
Conditions continue to be much the same - very pleasant skiing on piste beneath largely clear blue skies. Some of the south facing slopes turning brown and it's very much like spring skiing in the warm temperatures. Good to catch up with gvj yesterday and over to him now for reports on Monday/Tuesday of the arrival of fresh snow (internet connection permitting)!!
latest report
Just back from a sneaky 9am to 1pm ski at La Clusaz. Considering the sweltering temperatures about the place, the pistes were in remarkably good condition. They may be porridge by 4pm though. Snow was crunchy and thin down near village level in the morning but quite good up the top of L'Aguille. The odd brown skid mark and grassy patch on the lower pistes but nothing detrimental to having a decent ski. However, they really do need some cold temperatures and snow otherwise the lower pistes may be meadow soon. Warm enough to ski with a t-shirt and a fleece.

No crowds. Brilliant blue sky and not a breath of wind. Nice village. My first time there but I will be back. I might post a piccie after I have a cuppa.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Same old same old. Super spring skiing today, only trouble is, it's January. Bit colder this am though, and a little new snow forecast for the next two days above 13k. 95% of LGB pistes remain open, remarkable given the weather we've had.
latest report
Useful top ups in the last couple of days , lower runs still quite reliant on man made snow so feel pretty hard in places. Envers remains officially closed.....Maroly snow nicest on mountain, even Douche in good shape (although bottom section has a diversion on it). More news when back on line chez nous - still waiting on France Telecom Confused
ski holidays
Ooo what lovely photos. Looks idyllic. Added to list for Jan 2015
snow report
We are over in Croix Fry in Feb. The chalet is on Sous les Rosieres. Can those in the know tell me which lifts are opposite the chalet.
ski holidays
Renry, not sure which of the little roads in Croix Fry is "Sous les Rosiers"; there's a Hotel Rosiers near the Parking so would guess it's near there. Academic really, as the Croix Fry domaine is very compact and the half dozen or so drags and chair are all very close to each other. The "main" road runs up to the little pass there from Manigod village and then on to La Clusaz - the Tour de France came up it this year, but apart from that it's usually very quiet. Great spot to be based, especially if you've got children or beginners, as the slopes are not on the way to anywhere so you don't get people flying through them, but still easy to access La Clusaz via the two way chair across the stream or pop over the hill to Merdassier and Etale.

Oh yes, current snow conditions - busy on the slopes with locals this weekend but snow holding up really well as virtually deserted at LGB during the week. Cloud base down to the church steeple currently so no updates til Wednesday now when sun forecast to break through on the latest top up Very Happy .
snow conditions
Thank you We are indeed staying just up the d16
Just down the road from the ski hire and ticket office

I'm sure my 2 children will so just fine in and around
Croix fry.
ski holidays
Sun came out as predicted today. Bluebird day. Last few days snow had freshened up off piste nicely. On piste the nicest snow was higher up the resort and on the Joyere section. Around Chinaillon by mid morning most of the new snow seemed negated by the extra traffic that the sunshine had brought out. Quite a few particularly treacherous humps of frozen artificial snow next to the cannon lurking to catch out the unwary on some green and blue runs. Pointe Percee and the Col des Annes looking good from L'Almet....
[img]http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showfull.php?photo=30348[/img]

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 23-01-14 14:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
gvj, Looks like a lovely day - thanks for the photo. Back on Saturday for a couple of weeks so will catch up with you soon.
snow report
I miss LGB more than I can put into words.
snow conditions
loatie, maybe you or Mazdave can PM me a link or instructions for embedding photos in my posts - seem to have forgotten to remember how to do it Confused
Mr Pieholeo, hurry back soon - planning on renting out our Mazot in near future - cozy for two - currently looking for "test guests" to try it out. PM me if you might be interested.
snow conditions
Host / upload your pictures to either the snow media zone or another photo hosting site
such as photobucket. Copy and paste the URL (address the the photo is stored too) and
sandwhich that with [img] [/img] in the message field on the forum. Hope that helps
snow conditions
Thanks Renry, just added those img thingies to above post but must still be doing something wrong...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy