Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Vallees

Poster: A snowHead
We're looking to go to the Three Vallees. My first time there, and I note there are 8 resorts! Which resort should I aim for as an intermediate skier? Grateful for advice please....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sue Cymraeg, a bit more info wouldn't go amiss! What time of season, type of accommodation wanted, rough budget, après requirements, prefer French, British or Scandi atmosphere etc. But assuming you're not Rockefeller and it's not early January then probably Courchevel Moriond (1650) is the most suitable followed by La Tania.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sue Cymraeg, Best geografical location is Mottaret. Staying in the middel makes it possible to get to every corner of 3V. However do not expect much nightlife.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sue Cymraeg, Mottaret for location if you want easy access to all areas in 3V, just pick up any place you want to ski and the access from Mottaret is brilliant. Cons are rather quiet village (but you can go for apres to Meribel) and not that pleasant home runs at the end of the day.
Val Thorens seems to have a great vibe, that probably will make for a fun atmosphere just after the skiing, easy access to some good runs etc, but is a bit on the side for other areas.
Courchevel, however superb for a days skiing I for some reason will go for two above first in terms of staying in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sue Cymraeg, you have a PM
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La Tania (but I am biased!) Most recommended French ski resort according to the Ski Club of GB report. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you had to ski only in one valley then Val Thorens / Les Menuirres is the biggest and most varied ( and there is actually a bit of a 4th valley down into the Maurienne). Being the highest it is also good very late season. However the centrality of Meribel/Mottaret is a good point. Courchevel has the best restaurants if you are a gourmet but they are also expensive.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would recommend La Tania if you want a reasonable value Chalet trip, or Courchevel 1650 ( now known as Moriond). La Tania has the bonus of trees if the weather is pants and nice runs back down to the village. It's a bit more central than 1650 so better for getting to all the 3v resorts. I think they are opening a new green piste back down to the village this season and new lifts up top (see www.latania.co.uk which has lots of helpful info). It's quiet, though, but the one main bar is lively. Courchevel 1850 is great if you can find some good value accommodation-not impossible-but harder.
Mottaret is central, but my recollection as an intermediate (and even now) is the runs home can be hard, icy and crowded-far from confidence inspiring.
Avoid Le Praz -pretty as it is-the runs back down are never the easiest and can be quit icy and difficult.
My own personal fave is St Martin though (in the Les Menuires/VT valley).The nicest proper village in the area, with the best run in the 3v above (Jerusalem). It is harder to find good value accommodation, but it's a lovely place to stay.
If you are confident red run skiers you should be able to get from one side of the 3v to the other with no problems wherever you are.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Much though I like St Martin, there is only one lift out that can have significant queues at the mid-station, particularly after lunch, whilst I suspect that you can work around this, I guess that your mileage and number of times can be limited by this bottleneck. Given all the other investments in lifts in the 3V's it is time that the chair from St Martin be improved.

Most posters will have their own view of the best spot in the 3V's depending on the balance they are seeking. I like Meribel, because you can choose a different corner of the 3V's for each day, have fast lifts up, and have less chance of being wrong valleyed at the end of the day. Motteret also shares this advantage. Another approach might be to stay in a different resort or valley each year, so that you could "work" each valley plus a bit of traveling, just a thought.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all for your replies. I'll discuss with my other half at the weekend. We're going to he ski show on Friday so your input is very useful when we look at the Three Vallees stand. S xx
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Really need to know the budget and the time of the year for the best advice. I love skiing in the 3 valleys, ended up doing 4 seasons there... Very Happy All the advice above is sound. My favourite parts to ski are the top of Meribel, top of VT over to Orelle if it's not windy and the back of Courchevel 1650. It is so easy to get around though from the main towns so it depends on what the other requirements are.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure whether we'll be going in January or late Feb/early March yet. As there'll only be the 2 of us we're probably looking at half board rather than self catering. Haven't discussed budget yet.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In that case any of the lower villages would be fine as well. Probably wouldn't bother with Val Thorens in January as it can get pretty cold and windy there. Would be fine early March, just make sure you avoid UK and French half-term weeks. Different parts of France get different weeks off so check the dates.

La Tania has a really nice feel to it and the tree runs back to it are usually lovely (can get a bit icy sometimes). Courchevel 1650 has great skiing especially if you can find somewhere near the pistes. If your budget is flexible then Le Portetta is a well nice French hotel. Le Ski also has some nice chalets there I think.

I also love Mottaret, really easy access to explore the whole area. Meribel is quiet British with lots of fun bars and pubs but location can be key there. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice at the ski show though! Let us know how it goes! Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DavidYacht wrote:
Much though I like St Martin, there is only one lift out that can have significant queues at the mid-station, particularly after lunch, whilst I suspect that you can work around this, I guess that your mileage and number of times can be limited by this bottleneck. Given all the other investments in lifts in the 3V's it is time that the chair from St Martin be improved.

I agree wholeheartedly that the St Martin 2 lift is due for an upgrade, and I am told it's on the list for an upgrade in a couple of years.

However if you actually stay in St M, you virtually never have to queue, either cos you are heading up the mountain first thing or because you are never one of the hoards queuing at 3-4pm to get back from St M over to Meribel/ Courchevel or anywhere else in a panic in case you get cut off. The queues are only there in peak weeks anyway.We tend to mosey back from wherever we have been in another part of the 3V, maybe at about 3.30pm, stop at one of the restaurants by the St M 2 lift for a late afternoon hot choc or something stronger, then wait till the queue has gone. Once it's clear, jump on the lift back up top, and head back down empty pistes for your last afternoon blast. If you time it right, sometimes you can get a couple of circuits in before the lift closes. Marvellous! Best last runs of the day anywhere I have been Madeye-Smiley (so should be trying to keep it a big secret really!!)

As to timing-If you have a choice between January or dates in late Feb early March-it's a no brainer-January. No school hols=no queues!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would go for La Tania or Meribel. Meribel is in the middle so easy to access the rest of the 3 vallees. Ideally stay in La Chaudanne or Mottaret. La Tania is also great and usually cheaper and lots of British chalet companies operate from there - we have had many good holidays there. 1650 has great skiing and some of my favourite slopes but it is at one end of the 3V so not so easy to reach other resorts.
If budget is a concern then Brides les Bains where we have our apartment is lovely but you need to factor on the 20 min gondola ride into Meribel Centre/ chaudanne which is not right for everyone - but prices are often 30% to 50% cheaper.
There are also some excellent British ski schools in the 3V. We have a 5% discount arranged with Parrallel lines in Meribel and New Gen in Meribel or La Tania for our guests. Please PM me if you want the discount code.
ski holidays
I would also consider closeness to the slopes. Have stayed in la Tania and le praz a couple of times and all accommodation was only a short walk to the lifts but in my one venture to Meribel I ended up with a 15 minute hike everyday carrying two sets of skis! Though guess with a bit more care this could have been avoided.

As an intermediate myself I think its easy to do all of the 3 Valleys from any of the bases.
snow report
La Tania is an excellent compromise, and with the upgraded links out of there this year it should be even better. If you are looking for a "French" feel, then you might be disappointed as La Tania is 95% British, but to lots of people this could be considered an advantage. It's not like much of the 3V isn't inundated with us lot anyway!

Prices are fairly reasonable (for 3V) in town and the runs home are easy for any level of skier (very long windy green or an excellent blue: folyeres). Neither seem to get over-crowded, although you do need to be a little circumspect on the last run of the day. Getting home from Courchevel side has also recently been made easier with the upgrade of plantrey to a 6 pack.
ski holidays
La Tania
ski holidays
+1 for La Tania. Although i do love the 3 valleys, Meribel is my least favourite part.
ski holidays
Mottaret is a charmless little place, but there's nothing to beat it for easy access to wherever the snow is good on any given day.
snow conditions
Depends when you're going.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, that's fair enough, I suppose. If at the tail end of the season, when VT might be the only resort open, it would make sense to stay there. wink But that shouldn't be a problem between January and early March, which is the period under discussion.
latest report
Sue Cymraeg, i would suggest you go late January and avoid late fe band early march as the French schools are still off then and it will be busy. If you want to go half board one possible is alpine elements who have a hotel in la Tania. I spoke to some people on the lift last year who were staying there and they were happy with it. Other option is that there is a range of different chalet providers at that time. Go to www.latania.co.uk to check them out
snow conditions
Cheers everyone for your great advice. We're now thinking now about doing the Snowheads pre-birthday bash in Kronplatz in January and then hopefully fit a week in the Three Vallees in March. Is 22 March too late to go to the resorts mentioned above? Puzzled
ski holidays
Not at all, but you will have mush at the end of the day. If that bothers you- stay high and think about VT as a place to stay.
snow report
Quote:
22 March too late to go to ?.......Not at all, but you will have mush at the end of the day
Surely will should be altered to read may well? You could get fresh snow at any level in March (and April) - and if not, there's a fair few degrees of difference from spring snow at one end of the scale to mush/slush at the other...

We skied down to La Tania (which is at 1400m) on more or less full snow cover on the last day of the 3V's season (26 April) this year. The snow was soft but not mush - not bad at all because of the shady tree runs.
ski holidays
Sue Cymraeg, it depends on the season of course but in general snow conditions are still excellent at the end of March all over the 3 Valleys so go for any of the options mentioned above.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
22 March too late to go to ?.......Not at all, but you will have mush at the end of the day
Surely will should be altered to read may well? You could get fresh snow at any level in March (and April) -.

I stand corrected. However, I have yet to ski in late March without encountering mush for some of the time, even if there is fresh snow first thing. You could, of course,experience a chilly spell and no mush at all, but in my experience that is unlikely. Bottom line is though, that at that time of the year, you will be able to ski everywhere in the 3v.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Not sure whether we'll be going in January or late Feb/early March yet

No brainer. Late Feb/early March will be extremely busy (French school holidays). Go late in January for optimum snow/crowds trade-off.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy