Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere to Serre Chevalier day trip

Poster: A snowHead
We have booked a trip to Sestriere January 12-19. It looks like there is plenty of skiing in the Milky Way linked resorts to keep us occupied for the 6 days of skiing. However, we wanted to see if there are any options worth considering to check out some other resorts in the area.

1) We will not have a rental car and were wondering if anyone has ever ventured over to Serre Chevalier for a day from Sestriere.

2) Are there any easy bus links or is hiring a private transfer possible?

3) Any idea on how much a private transfer round trip would cost?

4) Same questions for Bardonecchia.

5) Is any of this even worth considering or am I just biting off more than I can chew? As a point of reference (after consulting with fellow snowheads) we did a big loop from Cortina over to Ortisei and back over the Marmolada, etc., in two days.

Thanks for any help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IdahoUdaho, there's a bus to Briancon from Claviere, but you probably wouldn't make it over there in time to make it worthwhile. I assume you are not going on a tour operator holiday as they often organise a trip on Fridays to Serre Che from there. If you fancy a private transfer, not sure of the costs, but have a word with these guys http://www.alpine-transfer-company.com/ for ideas of costs. It is an easy trip by car, but perhaps not by public transport.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. We booked a package deal but it is from the US and doesn't include a day at Serre Che.

I sent an email inquiry to Alpine Transfer. If anyone has used them for resort to resort transfer, I'd appreciate any comments.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IdahoUdaho, a lot of my guests have done so, I've had no complaints, and my apartment manager recommends them to all of her clients.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From Alpine Transfer Coompany: 190€ each way. A total cost of 360€ for 4 people. A little more than we were hoping to spend to get to/from a day of skiing. I think we'll just enjoy the Milky Way resorts. Thank you for your help.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Think a 6 day Galaxy ski pass in that valley automatically entitles the holder to ski one day in each resorts of Montgenvre, Puy St Vincent, Serre Chevalier, Les Deux Alps & L'Alps d'Heuz. I have used it this way when I bought it in Serre Chevalier and visited all the others.

Sestriere to Briancon is 20 miles apart, through some mild mountain passess and is only viable by a taxi. Public transport by more than one bus will take too long.

Not done Bardonnecchia yet. It is quite small and is 22 miles from Sestriere. Serre Chevalier is a mega size resort and its 250km piste takes more than a week for many skiers to explore.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This sounds a good idea. Might look in to it.
Quote:

Sestriere to Briancon is 20 miles apart, through some mild mountain passess and is only viable by a taxi

I assume that hire car suitably attired would also work wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
halfhand, wink of course
Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serre Che is a fantastic resort, if coming all the way from the states it would be worth a bit of effort for a day there IMHO
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiG, agreed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is the road from Sauze to Briancon kept open during winter? If so it might be a more pleasant trip (although a bit longer) than schlepping through the Frejus tunnel.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand, of course it is if you are going via Frejus tunnel you are really going the wrong way !!!! ( no offence meant Cacciatore)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
halfhand, Sauze->Cesana->Claviere->Montgenevre->Briancon . The Col du Montgenevre is the main route to Briancon from Turin.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got a quote from a local taxi company and it would be 180 Euro to hire a taxi and private driver for the day for round trip Sestiere to Serre Che. Getting closer to our price range but still a little more than we'd like to spend. It looks like there is a bus going from Oulx to the lift station Briancon that goes through Cesana.

http://www.autocars-resalp.com/briancon__montgenevre__oulx_en.php

Has anyone used this bus? Would it be possible to take a bus/taxi from Sestiere to Cesana early in the morning to catch this bus in time for a full day of skiing in Serre Che? What about to Montgenevre and then catching the ski bus to Serre Che? We would then like to return as late as possible to Sestiere after doing the hot springs in Monetier.

Is there regular bus service from Sestiere to Cesana early and late in the day?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells wrote:
halfhand, of course it is if you are going via Frejus tunnel you are really going the wrong way !!!! ( no offence meant Cacciatore)
Frejus tunnel is the quickest route to Sauze according to Google maps. Sorry for being a numpty Embarassed
latest report
halfhand wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
Frejus tunnel is the quickest route to Sauze according to Google maps. Sorry for being a numpty Embarassed

There's only one numpty when it comes to that particular tunnel, I'll have you know...
snow report
Cacciatore, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

quickest route to Sauze from where? Google Maps is way out if it thinks it is from Briancon Shocked
ski holidays
IdahoUdaho, 45 euros a head is probably as good as you will manage for a one day trip, not a bad deal since the lift pass is included!
ski holidays
Hells Bells, Sorry Grenoble airport to Sauze (don't want to go into why we're going to Grenoble and not Turin Sad ). Since we are flying to and from Grenoble I fancy the longer route through Briancon rather than heading up and down through the Frejus tunnel.
snow conditions
halfhand, ah yes, to go to Sestriere via Frejus tunnel is the better way to go despite the cost, and less dependent on the weather. If it is snowing, definitely go for the tunnel.
The traffic on Saturdays from Grenoble to Briancon can be a bit slow too.
latest report
I would certainly go to Sestrierre via Turin airport. Less than 2 hours by taxi for about €230 each way for a group. To Serre Chevalier is an easy day trip by car but our guide for the week had a van so we didn't have the cost problem.
snow report
I have previously described the Milky Way a 3 leg star with the Sauze d'Oulx, Sestriere and Montgenerve at each leg of the star. From the Frejus tunnel one will arrive at the Sauze d'Oulx leg. From Sestriere to Briancon one must go to the centre of the star which is Cesana, then up the mountain pass to Claviere to reach its top at Montgenerve. The downhill side is to Briancon as described by Hells Bells. Thus from Sestriere to Briancon the Frejus tunnel is the wrong direction.

The mountain pass from Cesana to Montgenerve is quite demanding and I have seen lorries got stuck, could not go up the gradient after a snow fall and had to put in snow chains to cope at the same time blocking everybody.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy