Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere, Sauze or Dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We are going to book Italy for a change this year from our normal France adventures.

We are a group with a 67 year old and 4 x 40 some things Smile
We like to ski hard all day and have a few beers at night. We are not party animals. Would like in excess of 250km plus to ski.

But Sestriere and Sauze look like they have a lot of button lifts (could be very slow to get about) and the Dolomites very spread out. If it is the Dolomites which is the best resort to stay at.

We ski all runs. Which would be best suited and linked the best?

We like France for it's fast and linked lifts. Will we get this in Italy?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-10-13 18:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went to Sauze three years ago and we covered quite a lot of the Milky Way linked resorts....I don't recall any rope pulls. Or do you mean button lifts? There are some of those but no more than anywhere else. I found the whole area pretty good to navigate really although there was a two man chair up from Sportina which was pretty old and rickety. I believe there were plans to replace that last year though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jerby,

The lifts in Sauze might not be ultra-modern but I don't recall any rope pulls/button lifts. There were a number of T bar lifts but I think you could avoid most/all if you really wanted to.

Spotinia was still old but functional last Easter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I say "a number" I mean "some". I think there were 2 over the very far left of Sauze itselft, and another on the far right going over towards Sansicaro. There were others Mongenevre way but I think you could get just about everywhere without using them.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 28-10-13 18:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jirac18 wrote:
Went to Sauze three years ago and we covered quite a lot of the Milky Way linked resorts....I don't recall any rope pulls. Or do you mean button lifts? There are some of those but no more than anywhere else. I found the whole area pretty good to navigate really although there was a two man chair up from Sportina which was pretty old and rickety. I believe there were plans to replace that last year though.

Hi

Thanks, changed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you stay within the Sella Ronda area of the Dolomites, everything is linked up pretty well, with a modern lift system (including WiFi in the bubbles, I understand). There are very few drag lifts and I can only think of one that was essential to progress.

There are loads of villages you could stay in, but I would probably start by looking at Selva, Canazei, Corvara or Arabba as all have excellent access. Canazei, Corvara and Arabba give you access to the Marmolada glacier, Corvara and Arabba give you a chance to do a trip to the Hidden Valley and Lagazuoi, or Selva opens up the Seiser Alm plateau and the sunny Ortesei runs. You probably need to look at a large area piste map to get an idea of how the resorts link up.

You won't cover the whole area in a week, but a day around the Sella Ronda tour will give you an idea of the different areas and show you some options for your next trip. Because you'll have to go back snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There are very few drag lifts and I can only think of one that was essential to progress.

Trying hard to think which one that is. Oh, Armentarola after the Hidden Valley and Horse Tow? Or Malga Ciapella when you go the wrong side of the drag lift, and realise you've messed up (don't worry everybody does this once Wink )

New piste map certainly showing more WiFi, and in (some) bubbles too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive been to both areas and the Dolomites (Sella Ronda) is much better linked than Sauze/Sestriere
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The buttons to the left of the Sauze area are the only access to the runs higher up on that side. They are VERY steep and long but the runs are nice and quiet as a result. The tow toward Sansicaro can be avoided by taking the chair toward Sestrier. Theres one coming back from Sansicaro thats hard to avoid but not too steep or long. Getting to Clavier (and Montgenevre) is a trek via a lot of consecutive lifts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
adithorp wrote:
The buttons to the left of the Sauze area are the only access to the runs higher up on that side. They are VERY steep and long ...

It's a few years since I went to Sauze, but my recollection of those drag tows up the left is that the worst bits were the downhill sections when you were in danger of overtaking the button. Coupled with the fact that the lifts appeared to run a long way away from any pistes, I got a bit nervous.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sugarmoma666, adithorp,

Last Easter there was some pretty serious looking race trianing going on up there on the left. I'm not sure they were even open to the public.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
adithorp wrote:
The buttons to the left of the Sauze area are the only access to the runs higher up on that side. They are VERY steep and long ...

It's a few years since I went to Sauze, but my recollection of those drag tows up the left is that the worst bits were the downhill sections when you were in danger of overtaking the button. Coupled with the fact that the lifts appeared to run a long way away from any pistes, I got a bit nervous.

Yeah there are a couple of downhill bits and thats always... interesting. The ups are thigh bendingly steep in places and as said a log way from any piste. Saw several people sitting at the side scratching their heads where to go.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
adithorp wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Yeah there are a couple of downhill bits and thats always... interesting. The ups are thigh bendingly steep in places and as said a log way from any piste. Saw several people sitting at the side scratching their heads where to go.

Our guide didn't warn us that the drag was (a) long or (b) tricky, so I didn't let it worry me too much that I hadn't got the button positioned very well.

Admittedly, that was the same guide as took me down my 1st black run without warning. I remember him saying it was time to head for lunch, then skiing along a rather nice blue run. The first I realised about things being a bit strange were the signposts on either side directing novices off onto side pistes, but as the group had carried on I followed them. I fell over with shock when I saw the black poles, but then successfully made it down. Looking at the piste map, I think it must have been piste 15 - I know it lead down to Sportinia and ran partly under some pylons.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
musher wrote:
When I say "a number" I mean "some". I think there were 2 over the very far left of Sauze itselft, and another on the far right going over towards Sansicaro. There were others Mongenevre way but I think you could get just about everywhere without using them.

Unless things have changed, the only way back out of Sansicario is by a fairly horrid drag tow. It's a shame, as the skiing in Sansicario is great, including a ~1500m descent and the womens' downhill course from the Turin Olympics.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
....I remember him saying it was time to head for lunch, then skiing along a rather nice blue run....

That'd be this "easy" blue then...

http://youtube.com/v/AqFCzorxOEk
snow conditions
andy, yes, Armentarola is the one I'm thinking of, and it's on a beginner slope so is pretty short and easy. I only really remember it because we had a whinging snowboarder wink

The other one you mention I've managed to avoid – I'm the one standing by the sign waving frantically at the rest of the group before they've all gone the wrong way rolling eyes
snow report
sugarmoma666, Never been there but piste map now shows that you can take chair 31 from Sansicario then blue run 82 towards middle station of gondola from Sestiere and then the gondola to the top. That will take you from Sansicario back to Sauze without the drag lifts?
Maybe that blue run 82 is the new thing?

http://www.vialattea.it/skimap/skimap2012-2013.pdf
latest report
Tom W wrote:
sugarmoma666, Never been there but piste map now shows that you can take chair 31 from Sansicario then blue run 82 towards middle station of gondola from Sestiere and then the gondola to the top. That will take you from Sansicario back to Sauze without the drag lifts?
Maybe that blue run 82 is the new thing?

http://www.vialattea.it/skimap/skimap2012-2013.pdf

I was feeling a bit embarrassed then that I'd misread the map, but I've just found my 2009/2010 piste map, which shows piste 82 as a black run. To me in 2010 that would have been the same as it not existing. Laughing
snow report
sugarmoma666, Yes I think I checked once against the older maps and the run wasn't there then.
Anyway as I said I've never been there just done a bit research as I might consider it sooner or later. And as I snowboard I hate drag lifts Wink
ski holidays
Was in Sauze in 2006 and a couple of things spring to mind:

Not as mad a party town as St. Anton but good enough
One of the guys came out of his skis as the Sportinia chairlift departed (no, I don't know how it happened either but it was very funny)
The piste to the bottom of the Sportinia chair (runs down the left hand side as you look down the hill) was closed for some reason. Needless to say this was being ignored by many (including us) since that was also where we'd parked up.
Can't really comment on the links to the other areas since Sestriere was closed for Olympics preparation and we used the car a bit more than we'd anticipated because of this.

We had a great time and are going back this January Toofy Grin
snow report
My advice would be to go somewhere with fast Poma lifts. That way you can learn to love drag lifts and can then ski anywhere snowHead
ski holidays
The right deal for the right price I'd have no hesitation in going back to Sauze. We went with a group of twelve 40 somethings and had fantastic snow second week of March and loved every minute of it.
ski holidays
I've booked our 5th or 6th trip to the Milky Way this season. So far stayed in Pragelato, Sauze (twice) the lower bit of sauze (jouvencaux) and sansicario.

I love the place and the only button to be wary about is on the far (lookers) left of Sauze but the black it gets you on is so awesome it's worth the thigh burn.

Just man up and go.
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
....I remember him saying it was time to head for lunch, then skiing along a rather nice blue run....

That'd be this "easy" blue then...

http://youtube.com/v/AqFCzorxOEk

That run was my favourite and the compression where you fell is a right laugh taken at speed you feel like you're getting squashed from the ground upward. I have couple of vids of that run which I gladly watch time over again particularly the last stretch into the tree line and Sportinia
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone's replies. We like a bit of a challenge so it looks like Sauze will be what we are looking for. Sounds like we need to try the black to the left of Sauze. Thanks for the replies
latest report
sugarmoma666, I even found the video of this linking slope (I think this is the one). All looks nice I might visit the area sooner than I thought Wink

http://www.vialattea.it/Ski-Area/I-video-delle-piste/Pista-82

The track number 82 is a new track made by a couple of seasons in the opposite side to that of the historic track No. 80 Fraiteve coming down the mountain to the village of Sestriere.

The decision to change was made to the side more likely to have snow and to be able to maintain it during the winter, being that side of Mount Fraiteve facing south and then directly to the sun.

The new track 82 then begins to half of the ski-lifts of Fraiteve and more precisely the height of the tunnel which allows the track to pass under.

The descent is easy with only a slight difficulty Blu steep after just two hundred meters diagonal.

At the end of this stretch steeper the slope flattens and, after the river that flows down the Combale, widens becoming even easier with a constant slope up all'intermedia.

From this point there are three possibilities: to return to the mountain by cable car, continue the descent to the town of Sestriere with the second part of that is down a side street or down to the valley by cable

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 1-11-13 7:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'd happily go back to the Milky Way area. We stayed in Sestriere, but if I was going back I'd stay in Sauze. The skiing in Sestriere isn't very varied, so I think I'd get bored quickly if the links were closed. I like seeing new places though, so this year we're off to Madonna di Campiglio.
snow report
I've been to the milky way around 12 times (wife is from the area) and also the val d aosta are a few times. I usually stay in sauze d oulx which is great (cause we get the chalet free!)and the skiing has always been good - it's a huge area. As for button lifts - all lifts seem easy in comparison after you've skied in scotland a few times!- i can't remember any long tows off hand. Other italian areas to check out would be the monte rosa area, champoluc is supposed to be very nice (i've only been to gressoney though). I'm going to cervinia next easter again, which is great for our 6 year old ...he loves the long runs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Word of warning on that pist to Sestriere that Tom W, has quoted... Don't be tempted to ski the bottom bit to the town. It's OK untill you reach the town but then a long flat street with a lot of poling required and then a hike. Much better to down-load on the cabins.
ski holidays
I thought the Sella Ronda alone, with 510km and a circular looop skiable in either direction could tell if the the Mikly Way is still in competition with its 400km piste putting all the resorts together. If one can travel around the Super Dolomites ski pass can access a total of 1200km piste from all the 12 areas out of which only 4 makes up the Sella Ronda.

There is nothing wrong with the Milky Way formed by three legs of Montgenvere, Sestriere and Sauze d'Oulx but its accesses and links can only be in second division if the first one goes to Dolomites.

Milky Way was modernized when the Winter Turin Olympic was held here in 2006 so drag lifts issue should no long apply.

If a skier like to travel far afield on runs and chairlifts there in no bigger play ground in this planet than the Italian Dolomites. 3V may be bigger with 90km more linked piste but it concentrates densely in 3 to 4 valleys. Dolomites is the one that really spread out with scenery to match.

Still want to go to Milky Way?
snow report
Once you've skied the Dolomites you'll never want to ski anywhere else. Stunning scenery being designated a UNESCO heritage site in arguably the biggest ski area in the world with friendly locals, great mountain eateries and reasonable prices what's not to like.

Selva probably the liveliest and has an Austrian feel is a good spot to be based as is Arabba or Canazei

Good skiing too on the milky way

Forza Italia
latest report
Completely agree after skiing there a few seasons ago and from my point of view it was there os the milky way. The quality of acomodation swung it towards sestriere though.

Seriously Italy, we dont want a single hob and a microwave to cater for hungry skiers, nor do we want olive green bathrooms from the 60's and we deffinatly don't want a two seater couch and a few dining chairs to sit on of an evening when it sleeps 6+ people.

FFS just put some money back into your rentals.
ski holidays
Just been looking at this again. We think we will go to Sauze. Any good hotel or catered chalet tips there? Any feedback on Hotel Savoia Debili, Relais des Alpes in Sauze?
Has the link from Sauze to Sestriere been replaced. I here it was either an old 1 or 2 man chair.

Thanks again for the help.
ski holidays
Stayed in the Savoia Debili a few years ago. No complaints about the hotel, pretty standard. Five min walk, up slight hill, to slopes and beside Irish bar. The food was unexciting and you have to make your dinner choices at breakfast.
latest report
Jerby, Unless you want really cheap and basic avoid Hotel Sayonara. We stayed there as a large group of blokes who care not a bit for our surroundings other than wanting dry and warm and so it was just fine. The staff were miserable and rude to the point of it being really funny to us, the breakfast was plentiful and typical and there was plenty of hot water. We booked as we got a whole week B&B flights and transfers for the grand sum of £215 pp. BUT I would never take my wife nor family to stay there nor would I stay there again if I could afford better!!
latest report
I loved sauze and sesteraire, the only thing I hated was that slow two man at the beginning of the day. I loved to ski over to sesteraire and usually spent most of the day over there. I didn't think that run was black, it wasn't marked black when I was there last was it?? I loved the hills.
ski holidays
Sauze booked at the ski show. Stopping at the Hotel Stella Alpina. We got £50 off a person and free ski and boot hire. Didn't think we had a bad deal. Time will tell. rolling eyes
Thanks for you posts.
ski holidays
Jerby, some friends stayed at Hotel Stella Alpina and said it was good. I'm certain with reasonable snow you will have a great time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy