Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Design Project - Ski Security

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, against the drunken / unaware hire ski brigade I think such an idea would work. I like the insert idea because it could easily be carried in a pocket, but sure there are numerous possibilities to block people's boots from clipping in.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zero chance of persuading the mountain restaurants to provide enough racks, let alone add an extra cross bar. I still feel this is an insignificant problem except for those who have incredibly valuable or mission critical skis. But yes, I agree with you any device that does not physically prevent removal is pretty much useless, regardless of the insurance implications. You might as well just paint them pink and scrawl your name on them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
insignificant but significant enough for people I've skied with to find they no longer have skis to ski back on after lunch
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
andy, but I suspect that is more a question of people taking the wrong skis than theft. If so, then just swapping skis is a simpler solution. If you use a cable lock, for instance, there is probably a greater risk of the lock freezing/malfunctioning than of the skis getting knicked.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hmmm... probability of a close enough boot sole length to ski away? I hear it happens, and most people probably have the same suspicion.

Organised theft or dim skier after a few shandies who can't remember what colour rental skis they had makes no difference to me. If they're gone, they're gone. And if the latter, then maybe the lock might give the dim guy a clue.

Never had a lock freeze, and don't know any that have. Although the sturdier coiled bike locks do ago a bit stiff and makes it interesting getting back in to pocket after lunch Wink

Last time I swapped skis, it was a 2min job to prise them apart. K2 Rictors and Atomic GS.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We use the retractable cable locks but also take the precaution of making odd ski pairs and then locking them to different racks. If someone wants to steal my (hired) skis, they're going to have to work for it Toofy Grin

If all the racks are full and no fences are available, we use Megamum's plan of creating the biggest mess of skis possible, and then locking that with whatever cable locks people have got in their pockets. Granted, this can take a few minutes for US to sort out afterwards...

We don't tend to bother if they are left close by, but would always leave someone to keep an eye out. There's usually a pile of bags and helmets to watch anyway. No-one in our group has ever had skis nicked/taken by mistake, but a chalet host had their new board stolen from outside a bar in Tignes. It wasn't locked though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

This simply isn't a big enough issue to set up a separate non-profit organisation, and if the public aren't prepared to pay for it then why should the ski companies. After all, they don't care if their skis get stolen. They just get to sell more.

Its a pretty big problem in France more than other countries, the ski companies get other benefits rather than the cost of doing it, which far out weigh the tiny costs involved

At the present time I decided not to run with the option I had, however I reserve the rights to do so, and also have this for the snow sports industry.

No secret really unless someone wants to help me out, but there is a similarity between skis and the option I have on snow sports I am sure there are some snowHeads out there who will see the connection Toofy Grin http://www.bikeshepherd.org/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Its a pretty big problem in France more than other countries, the ski companies get other benefits rather than the cost of doing it, which far out weigh the tiny costs involved
If the ski manufacturers aren't able to charge more for their product then I fail to see what the benefits (apart from lower margins) might be.

Anyone know what the ski theft stats are for France>
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu, unlikely, 9/10 the police couldn't give a flying Be Nice please! so there aren't any serious records. Also when a hire pair goes missing the client gets a police report to claim on insurance; if they turn up weeks later the shops don't bother telling the police.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
albinomountainbadger, whether they turn up or not is slightly irrelevant. They will still have the stats for lost/stolen skis even if we are unable to deduct the recovered skis.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
foxtrotzulu, that's true, but whatever figures exist they'll be next to useless. Firstly, what if they don't record the the theft? Clients have told us the police have refused to give them a report once they say "hire skis". Once when our shop manager (French local) rang to tell them this was absurd they just brushed him off and said that's how it is 'from now on'. As with everything in France, depends when you go, who you speak to and what they had for lunch.

They also do their best to discourage reports. As an example, here's how police demands changed over one season in Meribel:
Start of season: police ask client to describe skis.
Christmas week: police ask client to get note from hire shop detailing hire dates and ski bar code.
End of Jan: Police ask client to get letter from shop, hire bill, and manufacturer serial number.
End of Feb: As per Jan, but also with passport (not driving licence or other ID, passport only), and proof of travel insurance.
March: Police ask for all of above, and invoice from shop for replacement value of skis. This means client has to buy skis from shop before he can file a report saying they are lost or stolen...

Personally, my experience in Val d'Isere was of being laughed at through an intercom and refused entry until the Duty Sergeant arrived and had a go at the officers on the desk.

Anyway, you get the idea...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about a whole in the tail of each ski for a cable to fit threw.

Ready to be shot!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scott's touring skis have holes in the tips and tails which cables can fit through.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, I'm sure I've seen ski racers with racing skis with triangle holes in the tips too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's to save weight believe it or not. Often the cutouts are filled with a light plastic, but sometimes just left as holes.
snow conditions
The slots in the Scott skis may cut weight too but they're primarily 'marketed' to sell Scott's own brand skins featuring matching quick fitting clips on their ends. And that's actually a solution without a problem really.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy