Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's a "dry slope" like?

Poster: A snowHead
Just curious because we don't have anything like this in Canada. We have to do a destination trip to ski in the summer...

I'm wondering if you can actually ski on them or is it something different?? Can you really carve your turns? And could you set gates? Sound crazy... ? I have no idea just watched a show on Discovery Channel that showed some dudes on a UK dry slope, having never seen them before I was impressed (though not by his old school technique and rear entry boots). Next I'm going to want to know about the "indoor ski hill" that is allegedely located in London.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skiottawa, Try these two threads.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skiottawa, can't tell you about dry slopes but there are "indoor ski hills" in Milton Keynes, Tamworth and Castleford in the Uk - the Dutch and Germans have some enormous ones. Milton Keynes and Castleford go by the name of Xscape snowdomes. They are essentially large refrigerated sheds in which they make snow, personally I find them good for a mid-summer fix and a handy place for the first couple of lessons in a discipline. Castleford snowdome has a racing club, which a few snowHeads belong to.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiottawa, dry slopes come in several different varieties. Eash of the different surfaces has different advantages/limitations. However, they all have one thing in common....they're nowhere near as good as the "real thing".
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skiottawa, IMHO dry slopes are hideous. Not very "slippy" and if you fall..............ouch. Done then twice, never again.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I ski on a dry slope most weeks and my daughters race they have only spent 4 weeks on snow and initially learnt and practiced mainly on plastic http://www.norfolkskiclub.com/gallery.htm
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skiottawa, If you don't have the real thing handy, then a dry slope is fine. Lots of people don't like them (mainly because it hurts more when you fall over). It's a bit like ski-ing on very slow ice. However, your normal ski technique is just the same as for snow, and good technical skiers have no problems ski-ing on dry slopes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having learnt to ski on a dry slope back in November last year, I then went to the Alps in January and found out what the "real thing" was like. When I came back I knew I was addicted so I went back to the dry slope - it was like skiing on gravel in comparison. I still go back to the dry slope whenever the urge takes me (at least twice a month!) but it's no substitute really. Haven't tried it when it's snowing yet.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowshine, Dry slopes can be very interesting when it snow! Snow on a plastic base doesn't quite have the same effect as in the Alps and soon gets brushed off. It's not too bad if your using your own equipment but most ski centers skis have very blunt edges and never see a waxing iron. The local radio station always finds it funny when it snows and we have to call off ski lessons ( mainly due to consideration for people traveling to and from slope)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skiottawa, I lived in Ottawa for one winter and did some skiing on a couple of the little hills (Camp Fortune and Mont Cascades where I had lessons which were excellent) and a dry slope is in dimensions like one of the shorter slopes at either Camp Fortune on Cascades but much less fun as the surface is less forgiving. I went skiing quite often in Canada even on the small hills but I haven't been on a dry slope for years
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A wet dry slope ie after or during rain can be interesting as its makes the surface quite quick.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiottawa,

Only JUST worth a token visit IMV to see a different perspective. If you want skiing to be any part of a summer trip you will need to get to a glacier which is another question altogether
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kevinrhead, We get people phoning asking of their lesson is cancelled because of the snow Puzzled rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We just shut the slope to the public when there's new snow on it until the staff have had a chance to ski it first. This is of course because it might be too fast to be safe for the paying public, and not becasue we want to keep it to ourselves!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've just spoken to my son who has been in a schol mini bus all day travelling from South Wales to the dry slope at Hillend, Edinburgh for the British Schools races tomorrow. They are practicing at the moment (also waxing and sharpening). Tomorrow they course inspect and race then return to home arriving in the early hours of Sunday morning. He was out at Tignes Glacier over half term and naturally enjoys snow more. This year we (as a family) have supported him at regular weekend races all over the country including Scotland and Ireland. We travel huge distances to train but the other racers and parents make it all worthwhile! The children make friends from all over the UK.The intense competitive spirti is only surpassed by the cheers of support and encouragement between the racers. Without snow it is the best we can do. I would add that I am frightened by the unforgiving surface in a fall but then as the years pass snow is not as fluffy as it once was!!
latest report
skiottawa, a dry slope is to snow as an inflatable woman is to a real one. Very Happy
snow report
Kramer, Inspired. Laughing
latest report
Very interesting & thanks for the excellent response. Here in Ottawa, you choice for summer skiing is either Whistler (on the glacier, morning only), or South America (Chile or Argentina). Both are pretty decadent for a regular guy like me... I wonder why no has ever tried to set up a dry slope or indoor hill here? As far as I know there are none in North America.

Understandably, the indoor hill would be extraordinarily expensive and require significant financing. The dry slope sounds pretty simple to me...
ski holidays
depends on the dry slope surface, the old stuff, the diamond shape stuff is crap.

but the newer snow-flex is alright.
snow conditions
skiottawa, Dry slopes are also very expensive, and in the UK they don't make anything in the summer. They really have a similar season to the real thing. People use them to get back in shape and so on. Many beginners take a course of lessons before their first ski holiday, so they make the most of the week abroad. Therefore, with the real thing just handy in the winter, I wouldn't think the investment would be worthwhile.
ski holidays
Quote:

a dry slope is to snow as an inflatable woman is to a real one.

Surely there are disadvantages to a dry slope ?
snow report
fezza wrote:
depends on the dry slope surface, the old stuff, the diamond shape stuff is crap.

but the newer snow-flex is alright.
but you could set gates on dendix (poles through the middle of the 'diamonds') and no-one has yet come up with a way of setting a course on snow-flex (AFAIK) without tearing great holes in the stuff.
snow conditions
Quote:

The old diamond stuff is not crap Twisted Evil . It must be wet, and your skis sharp, with those two done it's fine snowHead
ski holidays
truffaut, Laughing Laughing Nice one!
latest report
dry slopes have their place but the mat needs to be well looked after and more importantly pinned down properly....i b**gered my knee up and popped my acl on bracknell dry slope a few years ago when i skied over a mat that wasn't stuck down and it ripped my ski off......there wasnt the ambulance chaser mentality then but i wish there had been Evil or Very Mad Funnily enough its the last time I have been on one.
ski holidays
if it was less than 3 yrs ago get a claim in mate
ski holidays
Kramer, Laughing

truffaut, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Best time to use a Dry slope is after it has been wet and then frozen. Speeds it up no end. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frozen dendix covered in overnight frost made Wycombe *very* fast on sunday morning. Made it a little intimidating for quite a few.
latest report
I started skiing on a tiny dry slope in an aircraft hanger back in the 80s & had a brilliant time - until I skied on 'proper' snow. The difference was amazing - I can remember nearly falling over as I was putting my skis on for the first time on snow as I had no idea that it could be so slippy. I haven't skied on on a dry slope since! It is a very different experience, but serves a purpose. If you're desperate to ski & don't have access to the real thing then dry slopes can be useful. I learned a lot on that tiny dry slope - took lessons once a fortnight for nearly a year. That solid grounding in the basics still helps my skiing now I think. I didn't have the stop/start experience that you usually get learning to ski when you only have a week or two of skiing a year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy