Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marriage proposal help needed! - Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Intending to pop the question at Christmas in 1850 Shocked Blush

What I would like to do is arrange a torchlit descent in the evening for just the two of us. the one contact I found only does groups of 25. Does anybody know if there is someone who could help me with this, or am I going to have to pay for 25 peoples worth of mulled wine and torches Toofy Grin

Please help!

ScottyDog (hope she says yes. If not, new set of B5's will be purchased with the ring money wink )

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-11-05 19:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bear in mind what *she* would like as well - will she really appreciate it? I was plannig to propose on bended knee in front of all my mates in th middle of new year celebrations. as it turned out, Mrs NBT has vanished and when I found here I proposed. when I later mentoined what I'd been plannning I was mightily releived as she said sh;ed have hated that and probably said no.

*gulp*

(on topic as it was at the bottom of the run into La Tania, 00.01, New Years Day 2002 - somewhere in this pic which was spookily taken by a guy I have since come to know through another forum - http://www.simonbarnes.net/wp-gallery2.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=3453
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt,
Quote:

another forum

There is another?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scottydog,Not a tourchlight descent.... but I was at the top of La Masse (Les Menuires) fantastic 360 view,when Ian proposed to his wife Helen, the restaurant supplied some glasses for the bubbly we had carried up with us unknown to Helen. It was a very interesting ski down and back to Meribel. Hic
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scottydog, She'll be wearing gloves and will NEVER take them off to accept the ring - not at minus 10 degrees anyway. How about at top of Saulire - last run of the day (or first even). Get up there before the crowds. Choose a lovely sunny day and then ask her - much more romantic I say!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Didn't we have another thread on this somewhere, someone proposed in Courchevel before I think.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
nbt,
Quote:

another forum

There is another?

Biking, not skiing Smile Don;t worry, you;re not missing anything Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scottydog,
An instructor friend of mine did something like this, and his mrs (see, it worked) was well impressed snowHead
He got his then girlfriend to wait at the bottom of Whistler mountain in one of the hotels hottub with some friends, then during a 'normal' torchlit decent he was due to be in he got the other instructors to ski down in a heart shape which he then skied out of the middle of at the bottom and proposed - needless to say it worked!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scottydog, Last run of the holiday, find a nice bar, bottle of champagne, in front of a fire. That way if she says no it wont ruin the holiday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Iw as going to propose to my now wife a few years agao in Sesterie on the tops but I couldn't work out would it be better proposing at the start or end of the of the holiday

Start of Holiday
+ Have a fantastic week if she says yes
- If shes no it could end up the worst week of your life?

End of Holiday
Minimises the risk if she says no but if she says yes then you may have missed out on fanatasic week wink

In the end fate decided the timeing or lack of it as she twisted her knee on the first day and therefore I didn't think she would appreciate the question as she started to hate the place and never wants to return.

So I ended up waiting several months before asking her and she accepted snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the feedback!

I have managed to persuade the organisers of the group torchlit descent, to do a seperate one afterwards just for us two at a 'reasonable' price! Skiing from the altiport to 1850 on the green run, which is great as the GF is still a novice. Think I will wait until the bottom though so she can concentrate on descending, although my legs will be jelly wink

All booked for Christmas Day too!

Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed!

ScottyDog
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scottydog, Good luck. Take me to Courchevel 1850 for Xmas and I would say yes Shocked > There is even a dusting of snow at 1850 looking at the webcam today Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
how about this:
1, buy two torches
2, book a table at one of the restaurants near the altiport (there is a very good one)
3, get a cab up and have the cabby do another trip with your gear
4, ski down to the Croisette after dinner (Bellecotte easy green run)

don't know where you would buy torches but I bet ne of the ski shops (Jean Blanc?) could help you
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One small point, skiing a torchlit descent could be quite intimidating for a Novice, especially if they are holding a torch.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scottydog you're right in trying to make it a private affair tho - worst proposals (i.e. ones that don't lead to marriage) are the ones when intended fiance feels like it's a display for everyone else's benefit.

Other bright ideas include:

1) Grab an empty gondola and refuse to let anyone else in. 2) Propose on assent. 3) Bathe in the glow of your new fiance's smile on the ski down (presuming she's said yes. If it's a no, then you can hide your dissapointment in the dark wink )

Or like jedster suggested, book a table and propose at the table. Then follow instructions 2) & 3) as above.

Not wanting to poo-poo your idea of proprosing during/after descent, but isn't it tempting fate to wait till AFTER she's gotten in a bad mood having struggled down the slope as a novice? (Might just be me....)
latest report
scottydog, a mate recently did something similar. He carried a bottle of bubbly and a couple of flutes in his backpack all day. He persuaded the now other half to jump on the last lift of the day and to hike up a ridge. He went on ahead a bit and had champagne and ring waiting at the top. All very romantic, good luck!
ski holidays
A group of us got chased out of Val Thorens by an incoming blizzard and the only escape, at least the only one we could take, was down what I remeber to be a black mogul field.
My brother had intended proposing at the top of the valley, but thought better of it and saved the ring till later in Le Pub, Meribel.
Just as well as his now wife said she would heve chucked it as far as she could after making her do the moguls.
Turned out to be a memorable night.
snow conditions
Why not contact the powers that be and get an early lift as high as you can get and ahead of the hordes (except lifties I suppose) so its just the two of you at the top of a mountain.

Good luck!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
scottydog, There is even a dusting of snow at 1850 looking at the webcam today Very Happy

I know Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy wink
snow conditions
scottydog,
what about stashing a bottle of bubbly and glasses in backpack (or leaving them hidden in the snow at a hidden point on the route down) - as your wife may be a *few* yards behind you (with the guide of course) you can ski on and get the scene ready (ask/find the most scenic point beforehand)

... then when she comes swooshing around the corner- you can be standing there with the ring etc. all set up ready for the off

I think it's a great idea - i wouldn't leave it til the bottom of the run - waste of a good torchlit experience
go for it !
snow conditions
Quote:

Not wanting to poo-poo your idea of proprosing during/after descent

Just a small point. Why didn't the net nanny turn this into something rude?

Just another small point. Will she really want to be Scottybitch?

OK. Best of luck really. snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish wrote:

Just another small point. Will she really want to be Scottybitch?

She had better be up for it after this wink

Not to worried on the answer front, I have good insider info on this (As does she!), but still want it to be a great experience for her (And still a complete surprise). The guys sorting this for me are also aware the GF is a green/blues novice (Although her P turns are fine) so they have just said there is no rush, and that she should be fine. Last thing I want to do is scare her! I was the one with the busted & broken shoulder last season so I am the one to watch out for Very Happy:

And of course we will be doing the run a few times during the day, at my suggestion, 'no reason darling, honest' wink Need to find 'the spot' (By the way doogo - good call, I was thinking that, can stash glasses and bottle in my Camelbak!)

Will let you know how it pans out!

ScottyDog
ski holidays
I was proposed to at the top of the face at Val d' last Christmas day. it was my first black run ( I don't do things by halves !) but i don't remember alot as all I could think about was oh my goodness. We ere maried in September Very Happy
latest report
Who are you travelling with? Assuming your reps are competent they should have suggestions/be able to get hold of torches if required etc.

Take her to the Saulire for dinner - excellent food, good wine list, very nice people. Expensive, but the food matches the prices.
snow conditions
AFAIK, at least where I´ve organised it in France, you need permission and attendance from the pisteurs to do torchlights. You also don´t really want to be messing around with magnesium flares while basking in the warm glow of a successful conjugal arrangement, do you? Which implies having henchmen, including one ski patroller.

Any suggestions for a good on hill restaurant in Les 3 Dales which will do a nice romantic dinner followed by either abandonment of the ungrateful wench of a blissful descent down a moonlit mountain green run accompanied by a brace of ski patrol outriggers? Much like the Queen gets when she goes to Harrods for new granny pants.
ski holidays
Surreynanny, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
ski holidays
I was on a student torch lit descent a few yrs back - 500 of us fairly well on, one guy set himself on fire....you don't want to do that to the lucky lady - it might ruin the moment
ski holidays
Quote:

Any suggestions for a good on hill restaurant in Les 3 Dales which will do a nice romantic dinner

got to be the chalet de pierre
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi there, checking in from 1850 - conditions ok but rocks everywhere Sad

Nikki did not go down hill in a ball of flames and after a nervous start enjoyed it.

Answer was YES Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers for all the advice, happy new year!!!

PS French keyboards suck!
latest report
scottydog, woo hoo our first wedding - lets get p1$$ed
snow report
scottydog, congrats!! Razz Razz
snow report
scottydog, Congratulations Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Congratulations to you both! snowHead
latest report
scottydog, Add my congrats to the list snowHead
ski holidays
scottydog, your da man Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
well done, she won't forget that in a hurry! Maybe you should do a snow wedding, too? So romantic, the thermals....
snow report
scottydog, Congratulations to you both Very Happy , time to start planning the wedding and honeymoon.
snow conditions

Congratulations!
Quote:

French keyboards suck!
Ok, but make sure you give us all the details when you get back snowHead
snow conditions
scottydog, Congratulations snowHead
snow report
Congratulations to you both. Will this be you, this time next year?

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy