Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resorts for end of March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Going on our first ski holiday in January, my friend is looking at going to les Arc (she loves it there). Anyway, my partner would like to treat me to another holiday end of march/april (he's been working nights permanemtly now), so looking at where would guarentee snow at that time of year. We are beginners, and prob lookjng at £400-£500 each max

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dals, what are you hoping to include in that budget? Your intended dates are going to take you into Easter holidays and although that period is the cheapest of the peak school holiday dates, you're unlikely to find accommodation, flights, transfers, lessons, equipment and lift passes for that amount; however, if it's just the first few items on the list, it would be do-able. Lots of places would have decent snow (as far as anyone can tell at this point) then, so you'd have some flexibility there
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd book the time off and wait to see how the season pans out. Most of the people in the alpine countries are starting to think of spring/summer holidays so it's easy enough to get a good deal. If you HAD to book earlier you'd be advised to look at resorts with higher altitude slopes and/or a glacier. It will most likely be very different experience to skiing in January. Soft slushy snow, and cut up pistes can be daunting to beginners, but in this situation there's nothing wrong with down loading ina gondola or on a chair. However there's nothing better than skiing in a T-shirt, enjoying poor mans powder and kicking back on a terrace in the sunshine with a cold beer!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Montana, Easter is late April this year. I think the OP was thinking of end of march, start of April not end of March/end of April. You are right £500 strikes me as an impossible budget. Say £150 for beginners lift pass, £80 for lessons, £70 for equipment hire which leaves £200 for transport, accommodation, food and drink. Some people can spend that amount alone on lunch and Apres ski alone.

Back to the original question, most resorts offer good skiing at that time of year. Try other resorts in the tarrentaise, Les Menuires would be a good choice, or if fancy Italy, then Cervina or the monte Rosa resorts would be OK. We had very good snow in Soelden last year at that time of year. My one trip to Andorra in April had good beginner skiing. Try buying where to ski and snowboard and read the reviews.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dals, sorry, have to agree with the previous posters; you won't get a week's ski holiday for £400 - 500. Sorry. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi guys

We have our own equipment and dont want lessons, just wondering if there are resorts better suited for beginners maybe cheap

Thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dals, 400-500 you MAY get something self catering but unless you've a car to shop on route could easily prove a false economy. johnE, suggestion of Cervinia is a good shout full of confidence building long. wide, cruisey pistes. It gets sunny but is high enough snow is retained until late in the season-think well into May and beyond in a good year.

Original advice still stands, wait if you can. We all learn differently, I've seen beginners after 1 weeks skiing being able to get around the resort fairly competently. Enjoying blues and tackling some reds. A long list of resorts will satisfy you're requirements if you can get a little more realistic with you budget.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dals,
Val Cenis is north facing and has I believe usually decent late season snow and some good gentle skiing.
It also has both cheap lift passes and reasonable priced accommodation.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

unless you've a car to shop on route could easily prove a false economy

I don't see how self catering can be a "false economy". Even shopping in resort supermarkets you can still eat for a great deal less than paying someone else to do it.

But I agree with Grizwald that it makes sense to wait. It's low season, and in many years you could go to a big range of resorts and find great snow. But other years you would need to head somewhere higher (and probably more expensive) to find good conditions. If the January holiday is your first, you won't really know till after that whether you need lessons. Are you really beginners? Most beginners don't have their own equipment.

How are you planning to travel? Drive? Or get a flight and then either hire a car or get a transfer to the resort. Either option could use up at least half your budget.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dals, just realised you posted on the fitness thread and are having lessons in Tamworth - good scheme, but you will find it is VERY different on a real hill, especially if conditions aren't nice (e.g. if the visibility is poor). You will get on much better if you have lessons in resort too - and they are cheaper!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Dals, sorry, have to agree with the previous posters; you won't get a week's ski holiday for £400 - 500. Sorry. Sad

You will if you go via the French UCPA. The ones in Tignes and Flaine have some double rooms, so no need to share with others.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowtrex will probably have something for around £600 I would have thought and they normally include the lift pass Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
just had a quick look and snowtrex are showing £500ea on the 22nd of march including pass Smile

might be a few suppliments on top but its worth a look....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for Val Cenis, longest green in Europe at 10km
http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/val-cenis-vanoise/ski-resort.html
Snowcoach are showing prices of £398 + £100 for coach for March 22nd 29th, and 5th April, and £348 +£100 coach for 12th April three quarter board in St Gervais, + skipass
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

You will if you go via the French UCPA.

No, not even with UCPA. You have to get there. Even going to Flaine by coach it's £199 on top of the UCPA charge, which will be at least £500 for a week. And there's a small supplement for double rooms (which not all the centres have).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy