Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for late March for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi people,

I want to take my 2 nephews (11&9) and their father for their first ski trip. Planning to go in the first week of the Easter hols (Mar 22-29). Need to go somewhere cheapish. Priorities would be:

1. Quiet slopes + small lift queues
2. Good beginner slopes
3. Decent snow given the time of year
4. Ideally some decent intermediate skiing for me
5. Reasonable English in the ski schools

Done a fair bit of trawling through reviews and Risoul and Val Cenis look like reasonable options (although some concern about the likely level of English in the ski schools). Another would be La Thuile, but I'm going to Champoluc myself earlier, so would prefer not to go to Italy again.

Be really great if anyone can comment on the suitability of the above options, or offer other suggestions.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
suggul, budget will help allot. I'd be looking at somewhere that has the nursery slopes up the hill you never can tell but I'd expect spring conditions which beginners can find daunting. Cervinia may be worth a look (although Italy it's great for intermediates and the link to Zermatt should appeal).

There are quite a few but without budget it's hard to rhyme many off.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
suggul, one option would be to look at private lessons for the three of them, which can be surprisingly affordable. Our local ESI in Les Saisies would charge €79 for 3 people for 2 hours - and with that age of children, whilst it's not ideal, lessons together with their Dad would be workable. There are probably similar schools in Risoul etc charging similar prices.

How are you planning to travel? Quite a lot of extra driving to Risoul.

And what sort of accommodation are you looking for? That's low season in France, so you could expect to get a decent piste-side apartment with two bedrooms for around €500 - 600 in a smaller resort. Possibly less.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for replies guys. Was looking at spending £2000-2500 for flights, transfers, accommodation, ski rental, lift passes and instruction, Have specced Risoul, and can do all that for about £2000 staying in 4* 2 bed apartment (Antares) with group lessons. Was planning on getting private transfer there, (although that alone is £400, I'm not keen on messing about on public transport with 2 youngish kids). Went to Cervinia a couple of years ago, so (selfishly!) would rather go somewhere I haven't been.

Pam-W, I like the idea of private lessons for the family - might be able to guarantee better English that way. Good call.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

might be able to guarantee better English that way.

the thing is with private lessons, it'll be entirely in english. In Les Saisies, where most visitors are Francophone, group lessons are mostly in French, no matter how good the instructor's English. You might find that the hours available are limited, maybe in the middle of the day, though in low season you would have a bit more flexibility, probably.

£2K sounds very good for all that, for 4 of you. And £400 (if that is return) is good value for transfer - it's quite a long one, isn't it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
suggul,
Been to both La Thuile and Val Cenis and certainly think they would suit beginners/ early intermediates for late March they hold their snow well.
English in the ski schools was adequate on our visits though these were not recent.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That seems very early for Easter hols, I thought they started from the 5th April next year? Not that I have any kids, so i'm probably wrong! Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, me too Handy Turnip, I'm sure Easter is well into April next year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jocrad, but some school hols do start a lot earlier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We learnt to ski in Passo Tonale. It was cheap especially with the learn to ski package we booked with Crystal, the ski schools meet across the road from most of the hotels, its at 1800m so pretty snow sure and is linked with Ponte de Legno which has excellent skiing for intermediates.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fair enough pam w, but given that Good Friday isn't until 18th April, that'd mean the kids would be having almost a month off for Easter??? if that's the case, I wish I was back at school!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy turnip and Jocrad, you're absolutely right. One of the boys breaks up on 28th March, but the other is on 4th April. Don't know where I got my dates from. Just as well I'm not a parent!

May need to re-evaluate my shortlist and look for higher resorts. On the plus side, prices should be a bit lower, so may be more options. Will definitely look at Passo Tonale. Again, any other suggestions welcome.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to Val Thorens with my nephews (both 11) and my brother last year on the 5th April - it was such a success that we're doing exactly the same this year!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jocrad, most boarding schools get a month for easter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well as a commoner, we had 2 weeks and counted ourselves lucky!!! Shock
ski holidays
What some school do (ours have anyway....) when Easter falls late, is take their 'Easter' holidays in the early part of the month and then just the Good Friday and Easter Monday off. I realise this may be unusual Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy