Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder ribbons alternatives

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going for the Resqski - looks ideal
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What does citation needed mean?
On fairly serious ski tours Ive done such as the Mont Blanc summit or Monte Rosa summits, losing a ski is not a good option. Ski brakes can jam up which also means if a ski comes off it might disappear 2000m which is inconvenient if the snow is deep and you are tired. Never been hit by a ski attached by leash, but then don't fall too often and tend not to ski fast enough to be hurt with leashes on anyway. Do you need a citation to say you would be hit by a ski with a leash on?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nevis1003 wrote:
What does citation needed mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed

This thread has actually prompted me to get off my backside and start work on a prototype that would solve most of the things discussed here.

Watch this space.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just stick to my ribbons, they tie to the rear binding and push up under the elasticated "cuff" of my ski trousers behind my boot, never had any problem with them being pulled out unintentionally, though they can be a pain on "skis off" type lifts, a few times there has been just a slight orange glow under the snow a good few yards away from my final resting place after a fall and a long, frustrating search has been avoided, like using helmets, if you go head first into a rock at 50mph, it aint gonna do anything for you, but for the other, more minor falls, they can be very useful.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tangowaggon, +1
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the rocks wrote:
I'm going for the Resqski - looks ideal

These guys were at the ski show and gave me a demo, on sale for about £70 or so. Looked like a useful bit of kit for those liable to lose skis in powder.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seventy quid?! Jeez, I'd teach ya to find the things for less than that in about 10 minutes. Not much less than that, admittedly.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Correction, just found the flyer for it....£85
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Turn your DIN up
A bust cruciate in the middle of nowhere? Look on the bright side! You won't have to fork out for new skis - only €5000 for the heli evacuation Confused....

Not to ridiculous levels, just if your skis are coming off when they shouldn't, turning your din up is a good choice, most people skiing off piste should use the 3+ skier level din setting. And anyway, bindings protect bones not knees, if you fall the wrong way, your knees are Be Nice please! regardless of your din.

As for whoever said that most serious off piste skiers use leashes, really? Where? I ski off piste a few hundred days a year, often with some of the best skiers in the world, and no-one uses leashes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
same here, jimmer. I have skied almost entirely off piste for a couple of decades and haven't met anyone using leashes. Not a good idea if you get in an avalanche.
Before the days of ski brakes we used to have our skis attached to us by straps around the ankle and it was routine that you fell and your skis came and hit you.
din 3+? I'm normally on 7 1/2 (used to be 8 1/2 but I'm 65 and more fragile now). At 3 1/2 they would come off when skiing!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:

din 3+?

Type 3+ skier in the DIN charts.

Once got patronised by a Mountain Host in Whistler while we were tinkering our DIN at a workbench who said that smooth skiers shouldn't need a DIN above minimum for the binding and claimed he could ski on 1. He was given a free outfit and pass to guide tourists around while presumably dispensing his pearls of BS. Was actually after a shop had cranked them down without telling us after they'd been in for an edge tune overnight - liability culture rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, I had that happen. They put my bindings to 3. My first fast turn they both came off. What about liability culture if I'd been somewhere more radical and been hurt?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jimmer, I think I read somewhere - maybe on here - that improper releases were often (usually?) down to mechanical problems other than incorrect DIN settings? (I don't mean snow under boot either...)

snowball, last time I was attached to skis with a leash was last new year with Dynafit bindings without brakes. Just as well really!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
jimmer, I think I read somewhere - maybe on here - that improper releases were often (usually?) down to mechanical problems other than incorrect DIN settings? (I don't mean snow under boot either...).....

I regularly get skis in with incorrectly set forward pressure adjustment, especially on the latest crop of Markers. And they almost always have insufficient pressure which can cause pre-releases.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball wrote:
same here, jimmer. I have skied almost entirely off piste for a couple of decades and haven't met anyone using leashes. Not a good idea if you get in an avalanche.
Before the days of ski brakes we used to have our skis attached to us by straps around the ankle and it was routine that you fell and your skis came and hit you.

Same here on all counts. You'd be strongly advised at any heli/ cat operator to avoid leashes for that reason alone, but you don't want those in the trees for multiple additional reasons. But I think everyone has worked it out, you almost never see them.

Monoskis had stretchy leashes, so you'd land in the snow, feel the tug, and then there would be a split second before that single edge catapulted back and... no one wore helmets back then.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
under a new name wrote:
jimmer, I think I read somewhere - maybe on here - that improper releases were often (usually?) down to mechanical problems other than incorrect DIN settings? (I don't mean snow under boot either...).....

I regularly get skis in with incorrectly set forward pressure adjustment, especially on the latest crop of Markers. And they almost always have insufficient pressure which can cause pre-releases.

It's hard to measure what's an improper release or not, as you never know how much force you've put through the binding, and whether something would have broken if it stayed on, but yes, often bindings are incorrectly adjusted.

Definitely look out for forward pressure, I borrowed some skis from a friend who told me he had the same BSL as me, actually he had the same mondo, and the BSL was out by 3mm, this happened to my hip when the ski came off....

Edited due to excessive gore

Some people think a lower din equals a better 'smoother' skier, but really, competitive skiers in all disciplines will have their skis cranked, I see DH skis with their dins at 23 regularly.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-11-13 23:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
That's a beautifully clean cut, nice sharp edges on the ski! Only time I've seen something similar is slicing my hand open to the bone across the meaty bit of my thumb whilst snowboarding, a fascinatingly neat view of your own insides.
snow report
jimmer, not sure that's an image that should be posted.

Hopefully you'll reconsider its appropriateness and remove it before a mod surely will.
snow report
jimmer wrote:
this happened to my hip when the ski came off....

Almost enough to make one take up snowboarding, isn't it?

meh wrote:
slicing my hand open to the bone across the meaty bit of my thumb whilst snowboarding

Sad
snow report
andyman wrote:

Hopefully you'll reconsider its appropriateness and remove it before a mod surely will.

It's totally appropriate and a good image for anyone going off piste who might easily deal with something like this up front and personal without the ability to "log out".

If you find this photo hard to deal with, imagine the associated liquid (blood), smell and noise.

I know its not skiing related but if you find this hard, check out Walking with the wounded and the Poppy Appeal.

What did the trousers look like I wonder?
latest report
andyman wrote:

Taken down, sorry if I offended you, but really, is it that bad? I'm sure injuries have been posted on here before, no?
ski holidays
Now I'm annoyed that they think they can tell me what I can and can't see. How about posting a link to it then the weak can just not click the thing.
snow report
philwig, that sounds like a perfectly logical solution Smile (the suggestion was in no way meant to be any form of censorship just a practical suggestion to avoid someone (child etc) happening on the rather graphical pic!)
snow report
I remember digging out a lost ski one day then being daft enough to ski into the hole the next day.
snow report
Having lost a few skis over the years and been with people who have it's always a pain.

It's not till you actually loose one does it all sort of come home to you, when I went off this little drop (way way off piste), I was not caring too much about my lost ski as I was just lucky to be alive, we spent around 45 mins hunting for the ski, and in the end I was going into shock so my mate gave my his ski and I sort of managed to ski down (but in a lot of pain as I'd ripped quite a few ligaments etc) whilst my mate skied the powder effortlessly on one ski!

I then had to walk out for around an hour and a half down a very gnarly path, no way I could ski it and no way could my mates do it on one!

Jump forward to next summer and a guide friend of mine and a mate went up there and found my lost ski!

Following season I did my ACL - so since then have been skiing on a more relaxed din setting as still a little paranoid about not releasing especially when ski touring using Dynafit!

So have gone with some Resqski homing tags, which I can use across a couple of pairs of skis, I'm really quite impressed with the concept.

And to do a little "pimp" my Mrs who edits/runs Style Altitude (see sig below) will be running a competition to win some, so will let you know when that goes live.
ski holidays
I once set off happily with my new skis, not thinking to check the din ( I'd only been skiing about 3 weeks), for some reason I can't remember, I skied off the edge of the piste coming to a stop near some trees with no way forward so I practised my kick turn to do a 180, as I did this, one ski fell off, the loss of balance caused my foot to come out of the other ski, this was when I found out I was stood on top of 30cm of snow on top of 1m high bushes!, I went straight through the snow and ended up to my chest in heavy snow / bushes, unable to move!. Found out later, the din was at about 2 rolling eyes
snow report
Worth having a look at www.resqski.com. It's basically a micro transceiver for your skis. They don't interfere with normal transceivers (2.5GHz vs 457KHz), and the units are very small. I played with one recently and was impressed. I guess for most people, losing a ski in powder is no big deal - until it happens to you ! Last season saw some epic powder days and a lot of people did lose their skis permanently. Food for thought.
snow conditions
Avalanche Academy, see the link in my sig where you can stand a very real chance of winning some!

In fact if one of you would care to setup a thread about the competition be my guest as I don't want to get accused of pimping (I might do it anyway), that said there will be the chance soon to win some great Scott LCG Googles!

And finally found the picture my mate took when they went on a mission to find my lost Mission after my cliff fall above as they had nothing else to do as weather was not climbing friendly!

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3 years ago I lost one of my favorite skis and never found it. I had a pair of "sutff up your pant leg" powder ribbons in my pocket but hadn't used them because they are such a PITA. I decided I needed a powder cord that was easy to use and inexpensive to make. One that didn't incorporate all of the downside issues associated with old style powder cords. The end result is a product called Pow Tales, and they sell for $19.95 usd. You can see them at ]http://powtales.com.
snow report
I'm surprised people find it such a problem these days. I find modern skis seem to travel much less far under the surface than the old skinny ones. I haven't had an epic search for years. I do realise how I'll be spending an unhappy hour on my next trip after that Very Happy
latest report
Tape a pair of mobile phones, one to each ski.

When you lose one you can ring it up with the other.
Dont set it to silent or its a waste of time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy