Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort for max variety of on-piste challenges?

Poster: A snowHead
A January ski trip is in the planning, group of couples ranging from confident on piste intermediates-advanced. The ladies in the group aren't in to off piste but like darker reds and blacks so have sked for some suggestions of resorts with a number of challenging red/blacks. I've racked my brains and keep coming back to St. Anton but I've already got two weeks booked there for the coming season but would force myself to do a third.......

Can anyone suggest a few places that would meet these requirements? It's been along time since I've skied there but was thinking maybe Tignes/Val d'Isere would also be worth a look. A couple of us will want a couple of guided off piste days but we'll pretty much find that anywhere.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Portes du Soleil can be a good choice in my opinion. All sorts of difficulty on piste including the famous Swiss wall and there are some great steep blacks in Avoriaz. You could either stay in Morzine or Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpe D'Huez is worth considering. Pistes range from the very gentle to The Tunnel - one of the tougher blacks around.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, not skied in either. It's a while since I skied in France I think it was La Plange 2010. Nice area but I remember most of it be very blue. Suppose it's very dependent on conditions, on that trip they'd not had snow for a long while so it was icy at times.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tignes is probably the best for on piste challenges, but courchevel used to have the harder pistes (a couple have now gone). There are some very good pistes in Les Arcs as well. Try any
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes/Val d'Isere is definitely worth a shout, although a lot French black runs can be mogul fields, so it depends what sort of black run you're looking for. Mayrhofen might be worth a look; its a decent size ski area, predominantly red runs, not many blues, all the black runs are groomed (and nice runs), plus you've also got Harakiri which is the steepest piste in Austria.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shirley black runs should not be bashed. Therefore they should be mogul fields.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
Shirley black runs should not be bashed. Therefore they should be mogul fields.

Personally speaking, I like a bit of both.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grizwald,
Morzine if you want a nice town with good apres ski feel.
Avoriaz if you want ski in/out, but not the same apres buzz, mostly s/c studios and families. Very cosmopolitan.
PDS offers everything you need for your group.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Kitzbühel ski area has a good mix of intermediate and advanced runs. And if you stay in Kirchberg it is significantly less expensive than most French resorts. The AllStarCard ticket also offers skiing in many other resorts including the SkiWelt (via a short free bus ride) and St Johann (short free train journey). Check the area out at www.austriaskiguide.com

I had a guided off piste day with a group from the Ski Club of GB last year - led by a guide from St Johann's Wilder Kaiser Ski School. Awesome day out!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DallyPaul wrote:
Grizwald,
Morzine if you want a nice town with good apres ski feel.
Avoriaz if you want ski in/out, but not the same apres buzz, mostly s/c studios and families. Very cosmopolitan.
PDS offers everything you need for your group.

he speaks the truth....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will have a look at PDS as I said an area I've not been too. Morzine, seems to get repeated mention on conditions being possibly iffy-prone to rain?

Kitzbuhel is a good shout, I love the area and have always been lucky with the conditions. Ruled it out as due to the size of the group we're looking more at chalet type accomadation. I'd like to stay in the Pass Thrun area as IMO the best skiing is over that side.

Also going to look at prices for Ishgl, but may struggle on the chalet front.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alpde D'Huez
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tignes/Val has plenty of tough blacks to keep you quiet. I still haven't done half of them because I'm such a wuss!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grizwald, why do you consider St Anton to have on-piste challenges? Sure many of the blues are ridiculously difficult for nervous intermediates, but most of the blacks would be considered easy enough compared to other resorts.

Certainly you'll find blacks in Tignes and especially Val d'Isere a level up in difficulty. Other place I think has many seriously challenging blacks is Les Arcs. If you find St Anton blacks challenging you won't be disappointed
snow report
+1 for Les Arcs, I skied there for the first time last season, there was one excellent run at the far side of the resort, can't remember the name but essentially the easy run traverses back and forth but the advanced skiers can simply "go over the edge", some "natur" runs too where they are not pisted at all. much more variety than 3V where the Grand Couloir is one of the few actual pistes that is remotely challenging.
latest report
peanuthead, I know what you mean about St Anton, tough blues and no true blacks. It des have plenty of red and itinerant runs though, plus in the Stuben area and a day trip or two over to Lech and Zurs.

I can't actually recall many difficult blacks in Les Arcs, it is possible they were closed though as it was a lean snow year,
snow conditions
Grizwald, yes, a lot of the high French resorts have very rocky natural terrain, especially on the steep pitches, and need a lot of snow cover for the blacks to be open. It is always a risk that if snow is pooor many of the best runs will be closed
snow report
Les Arcs has some serious blacks and great variety, but most (all) are ungroomed mogul fields which your knees may only be able to take so much of. It has some decent reds as well, but I think the reds a little lacking compared to other resorts, eg Tignes - Val; if you are in the mood for blasting down a red from top to bottom then it is hard to beat the runs from Bellevarde to La Daille or even Double M. You also have groomed blacks like Face, and the very steep sections on Descente and Trolles where an intermediate skier can build up serious speed before the long flat (unless they've the bottom of Trolles this year, I know a couple of people were killed here last year or two). So overall EK gets my vote, although it is Les Arcs for me this year
snow report
Zermatt or Verbier
snow conditions
nevis1003, Baring a lottery win, just no! Had a day in Zermatt last season via Cervinia and stopped for lunch nearly bankrupted me.......
snow conditions
Interesting thread. What is a challenging piste? Is it the steepness? Is it the consequences if you fall or ski off the edge? I say it is the conditions.

Virtually all pistes can be easy, depending on your skill... but, those same pistes can become extremely difficult. It all depends on the snow conditions, the visibility, and the traffic. Case in point: black Nasserein at St Anton. First thing on a bluebird morning, on groomers... a doddle, a GS racetrack. Arc those turns and look great. Late that same day, when there are big sheets of blue ice, punctuated by mounds of soft snow, with people spearing off in all directions: it will make a monkey out of all but the best.
snow conditions
Quote:

I can't actually recall many difficult blacks in Les Arcs

There are IMHO half a dozen serious black runs in Les Arcs, only one of which is not a nutur and that I can only recall being pisted once. The runs are Comborciere, Ours, Droset, Genepi, Robert Blanc (in my opinion the best), and the trio from the Varet telecabine that since I cannot distinguish one from the other I tend to consider as alternatives down the same piste. OK they may not be as tough as the Grand Couloir in Courcheval (whatever happened to the pistes down the other 2) or the Swiss wall in Avoriaz, but they still offer a decent challenge with no easy escape once you have started.

There are a number of easier blacks in Les Arcs, my particular favorite is the Deux Tetes (I still think this is pretty steep) and a couple of really quite hard reds such as Clair Blanc and everyones favorite Malgovert.
snow conditions
Quote:

Les Arcs has some serious blacks and great variety, but most (all) are ungroomed mogul fields

What other sort of black is there?, if it's regularly groomed, it's not a black
snow report
Quote:

What other sort of black is there?, if it's regularly groomed, it's not a black

If its labelled black its black it may or may not be a difficult as other blacks but the fact is that the resort has labelled it black.
Apart from which smooth well bashed but icy pistes can be considerably more challenging than natural moguls.
Many is the time I have skied off to one side of a piste to take on the natural bumps as an easier and more pleasant experience than the groomed piste.
latest report
tangowaggon, often FIS race pistes will be labelled black and groomed to perfection.
snow report
Grizwald, +1 for Val d'Isere or Tignes. Plenty of challenging reds to choose from plus a fair few tough blacks. La Sache down to Brevieres must count as one of the top runs around. Also you have the benefit of a number of former blacks being converted into itineraries. My preference is for Val rather than Tignes as the resort is better in the evening. Also, there's probably better choice of O/P ski guiding (e.g. Alpine Experience).
ski holidays
I thought that the whole point of Les Arcs was that it's basically a family resort.... so you don't get the hard code types there, hence there's lots of powder for all if you know where it is. Not necessarily on piste though, hence probably not relevant to the original poster. If you don't mind the drunken Brits then Val d'Isere/ Tignes has a few sporting pistes - that'd be my suggestion.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can only think of one really challenging piste in the whole of the arlberg (albeit i've never made it to sonnenkopf). I'd suggest ischgl as it has the best selection of rinse and repeat blacks I know, and I think they've even added another lift to one of them since I was there, but little in the way of guided off piste there.

Would think tignes or val as such, lots of off piste and a few steep blacks (but I think they're more spread away from each other than the ones in ischgl).
ski holidays
Quote:

I thought that the whole point of Les Arcs was that it's basically a family resort

No more or less than any other resort. The ease of access from Bourg makes it popular with the locals. OK not many drunken brits and I have not seen any coders either hard or soft but in my limited experience the off piste is skied out as fast as anywhere else (usually by snowcrazy)
snow conditions
Most of St Anton's toughest blacks were turned into itineraries many years ago so are now not groomed (but still avalanche patrolled). Same is true in several other resorts.
Yes,Grizwald, La Plagne has the easiest pistes of any French resort I have been to.
Severtal French resorts have guiding companies which will put you in with others of the same standard to ski the off-piste, which saves a lot of money compared with a private guide (unless there are 5 or 6 of you). Alpine Experience is the best at Val d'Isere.
latest report
Thanks for all the new replies, I wasn't looking to start a debate over what everyone classes as a black etc as I said I appreciate it's very condition dependant, just somewhere with some interesting on piste skiing rather than mile after mile of cruisy. I'm a bit out of touch with allot of the Euro resorts, most will no doubt have had changes and lift upgrades that I've skied in the past. I do some instructing for Interski in the Aosta valley none of those resorts which I frequent would I sugggest for our group, although I did pitch the idea of having a car and taking in a few.

Tignes does appeal, although I'd normally hedge my bets and not look to go quite as high early in the season.
latest report
Grizwald,
You mentioned Ischgl and if you want to go to a chalet it is not a good choice but for variety of skiing it is excellent. Lots of people seem to write it off as having too few difficult blacks but I suspect they are people who ignore the itinaires which are not as prominent as in some resorts and less skied and are all the better for it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy