Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving > 100mm skis

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen many a mention in ski reviews and probably on here that these amazing wide powder skis could carve fine on piste.

Now I'll admit I can just about carve a sub 80mm ski, but cannot a > 100mm ski

Who (mere mortals and not ski gods) can carve a >100mm ski and more importantly got any video of you doing it?

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What skis have you tried it on? Waist width is only going to be one factor in how easy a ski is going to be to carve. Reverse-reverse ski and you have pretty much no chance of holding an edge on piste unless its really soft, you can in soft snow obviously. Ski something traditionally shaped and as long as you can get the ski on edge (still reasonably easy) and pressure it (doesn't particularly change) why do you think you wouldn't be able to carve it?

Sadly I only have POV which is obviously not that useful for seeing whats going on.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Bil has these http://www.genuineguidegear.com/life/blog/g3/fever-skigraphiks-winner-announced

he'll also be in Tignes on the 7th, so you can ask him. He's not bringing the skis though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Now I'll admit I can just about carve a sub 80mm ski, but cannot a > 100mm ski

It can be done.
But you are correct in saying that mere mortals will struggle to make a pure & clean "carved turn" on a 100mm wide ski.
I certainly struggle.

On wider skis...
1) you need to make bigger angles to get wide skis over on their edge.
2) you have less edge control as your foot is no longer directly above the edge.
3) slower edge to edge transition between turns.

Even an 80mm ski is quite hard to "carve" compared to a 63mm race ski with side cut.
However there is much more to skiing than just carving (a 100mm ski can happily be skied well on piste between the fun stuff!)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 25-10-13 11:32; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Who (mere mortals and not ski gods) can carve a >100mm ski and more importantly got any video of you doing it?

Yes, can do it. No not got any video of it. More importantly, I'm not actually very good.

The main issue for me is that I need to be really hauling it with the Lhasas (35m radius) before carving becomes an option. JJs (think 14m or something like that) are much, much easier to carve. What skis are you on?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, I think learning to link clean carved turns is significantly more difficult on skis wider than 80mm. The biggest problem I see with people trying to develop that skill is they are impatient at the start of the turn and push the ski sideways, not engaging the skis' edges until fairly close to the fall line rather than the moment when the turn starts. A wider ski (or a ski with a large turn radius) seems to exacerbate that problem. As an experiment I once ran a carving clinic skiing on skis 88mm under foot. At the speed that my clients were comfortable to ski at (on a gentle blue piste) I found it incredibly difficult to demo slow speed, cleanly linked carved turns. I did occur to me at the time that if I found it difficult just how demanding would it be for skiers who are trying to develop that skill?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ yip : a pure carved turn should follow the natural turn radius of the ski.
the aim is to be using edge control, rather than rotation in order to turn the ski.
if you have a wider ski + minimal sidecut (as on most off piste skis!) then this becomes much harder to do without skidding.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, Toofy Grin
Quote:

it depends as others have said on the ski and the sidecut rather than the width underfoot, the vid below is all me on my Flyswatters 125 underfoot, its a bit boring and I have posted it before, but at 5.20 I am on the race track in La Tania (no gates) its all POV but the camera is down a little and the sun is making my shadow show pretty well. I was well over on the edges which is not to difficult to do, after all I am well over 50, not fit, smoke drink and don't ski enough these days if that makes me a god phew heaven help a few others out there Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/jUt4oN3JBOk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUsL-yAhdyZ2AI7mhwWLEKUQ
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
this is my point, lots of folk seem to say "these off piste skis track like demons on piste"

I'm being very skeptical about if average Joe can do such a thing....or indeed folk that "think" they are carving their 110mm skis are actually doing so...

I tried in on my Lhasas, it's not so bad in end of day Easter slush, in harder snow I ran out of width of piste!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Long turns on my 189 Preachers - yes.
Short turns - no chance!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski, at 5:20 they ain't what I'd call carved turns I'm afraid!

aha, found something Smile

http://youtube.com/v/7KPHHvKNPaU
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, look at the lateral angles that skier is making. Few recreational skiers have that level of skill, and I can't imagine anyone who is learning to carve cleanly linked turns would ever manage that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski, look at the lateral angles that skier is making. Few recreational skiers have that level of skill, and I can't imagine anyone who is learning to carve cleanly linked turns would ever manage that.

I think that is my point Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:

+1
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is the best I can do in terms of showing it, this is my first time out skiing on the Redeemers (128mm underfoot and pretty much reverse-reverse) on a horrible rutted icy blue piste:

Good demonstration of where the taper starts on the ski as well, hello 1m of effective edge, which requires some delicacy. Very much easier on the Verdicts and Corvus which are both trad skis with a decent sidecut and both around 100mm.

We may now debate whether that constitutes carving or not. Smile

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 25-10-13 12:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
If you tip any ski over, they'll carve, I wouldn't say any ski over 100mm that I've skied carves well though. My off piste skis over the summer were 193 Cochises, 108mm underfoot and with a radius of about 30m, very carveable on soft snow, tricky when it's hard. Don't have any piste photos on them, because if I was skiing on piste, I was on SL or GS skis, but here's a shot of me carving them in some crud

Skied with a guy called Marcus Caston who after wrecking his regular skis raced on a dynafit set up (cochises or bonafides can't remember) and still beat a bunch of ex FIS racers and demo team instructors on GS skis in our weekly race.
latest report
meh, I think what is being debated here is not whether skiers get on to a sufficiently large edge angle at some point in the turn to use the shape of the ski to steer the turn, but whether they only do that for the entire length of the turn, starting from the moment the turn begins to the point at which you tip the skis in to the next turn. Difficult to determine that from still images.
latest report
jimmer wrote:
here's a shot of me

Great shot!
snow conditions
Quote:

aha, found something

yep seen the D11 one before, so in my ignorance then what is the definition of a carved turn? Sad
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
Quote:

aha, found something

yep seen the D11 one before, so in my ignorance then what is the definition of a carved turn? Sad

For me the simplest definition of a carved turn is one where the tail of the ski follows the track of the tip, leaving a clean line as a track. If you have a wider line, you've pivoted a little.
latest report
livetoski wrote:
For me it is the absence of any steering by twisting the ski or by pushing it sideways (usually at the start of the turn). It is just an edge change and nothing else, and the skier can modify the turn shape by increasing or decreasing the amount of edge angle they use. If a skier changes direction suddenly without creating huge edge angles it is unlikely that they will be cleanly linking carved turns.
snow conditions
rob@rar, yeah I get that but that's the only image I have of me skiing from the whole of last season and it happens to be carving on fat skis so is the only evidence I have to offer. Sad
ski holidays
jimmer, yep sort of what I thought, when I looked back up the race track there were some pretty impressive train tracks all the way down from my skis no skiiding or pivots, except the one turn on the lip where I deliberately got a huge angle on them and dragged the inside hand

WHOOPS Embarassed should have said 5.40 at 5.20 I was still side piste LOL
ski holidays
Quote:

folk that "think" they are carving their 110mm skis

I suspect that a lot of folk who "think" they are carving their 78mm skis aren't, either. When I look at my tracks I invariably think "o, sod it". And that's on an easy blue piste. On a red piste I wouldn't bother looking.
latest report
livetoski, ok, I see the ones you mean, hard to tell much from POV, but it was soft snow, and the flyswatters actually have quite a tight turn radius, so I wouldn't doubt you could make railroad tracks there.
snow report
pam w, I see very few skiers who make cleanly linked carved turns. When I do I tend to stop and watch them because I find it such a joy to see people ski like that. Very rare to see it on anything much steeper than a proper blue piste or a gentle red.
snow conditions
If the definition is a BASI "pure carve" as Rob defines above it's pretty hard but not impossible to eliminate all other bits of movement. Can you tip a wide ski over and get a big edge angle? Pretty easily - livetoski's Flyswatters are almost insanely tippable to large angles. On a wide but conventional ski (say a Preacher) as touchguru says you need a lot of space to "carve" on a low effective edge heavily rockered 5 point design I suspect its easier (at least it feels easier but then I'm not checking how bad my "carve" is.

People with race backgrounds can carve anything - I've seen guys just casually skiing full range GS turns on big ass Atomics etc. Rahlves pretty much carves mogul fields.
latest report
Quote:

much steeper than a proper blue piste or a gentle red.

yep have to agree carving down a black run frightens the poo poo out of me

rob@rar, hopefully in the future when my lad has his ACL reconstructed we can go have a laugh watching him flat out down a black run, I can't keep up with him any more, but its going to be 2014 2015 season before he back on skis Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, I once asked a friend of mine who is an ex-racer (sub-30 FIS points, a few podiums at FIS races including at least one top step) if he could carve on a black run. His answer was very rarely, maybe with slalom skis and it wasn't too steep a black run. I can just about carve on a moderate red run providing it is not too narrow, there are few people around and I've taken a brave pill in the morning. Not a hope of me carving on a black piste.

Here's a long radius demo which I think are reasonably clean, linked carved turns.

https://vimeo.com/77778911
snow conditions
I used to think I could carve properly on my old HSFR's (104mm) on wide open blues/mild reds.

But that's on how it felt to me. I think I can carve slightly steeper slopes on slalom/GSy piste skis.

I may be deluding myself though. Confused
snow conditions
rob@rar, I'm surprised your friend can't carve down blacks, how long ago did he have 30 points? And how steep are blacks in Europe anyway? Are they all winch catted?
ski holidays
jimmer, recently quit racing, sub-30 two or three seasons ago. Not all blacks are winch-catted, in fact few are.
snow report
If you are a good skier and can already carve turns then it is quite easy to adapt your technique to carve turns on greens/blues with wider skis. You will go quite quick though and not very good for learning on!
Never skied on reverse cambered or reverse side-cut skis but I imagine that it would be harder to carve on these skis.
snow report
kitenski, If you can carve a 250mm waist snowboard you can carve a 100mm ski . . . it's just technique and practice . . . my teleboard is 180mm waisted and that carves like a demon.
snow conditions
Masque, hence my asking for video evidence as I don't believe many folk can actually do carving as well in the real world as they can in the bar/on snowheads Wink
ski holidays
Masque, Yes................but with aren't a snowboard you do have all your weight centred over the single item and that must surely help to some extent with the flex of the and therefore the carve. As has been mentioned on here previously if you depressed any of these pieces of shaped equipment or probably even straighter skis to some extent at the middle surely the curve will lend itself to a turn by physics alone and from the turn comes the carve. I would have thought to weight of snowboarder over the single piece of plank (even if it was wider) makes the flexion of the snowboard easier than with a ski which by design must have less weight in the middle of each.

Errr................does that make sense - I know what I am trying to say does anyone else?
snow report
To be honest, I have no idea how many of my turns are carved. It could be anywhere from 0% to 90%. (Closer to 0% I suspect) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
If it's anything like a carving lesson on PSB last year, 0% would be pretty close tbh.
Going in pairs, and analysing what you see your partner doing, almost every single person had a stem initiation in there, a skid and probably exactly as rob@rar said, impatience.
Never skied more than 85mm before, so can't comment, but I can only imagine it'd be a struggle.

Where I would comment though is, is there a need or want to get to pure carve on piste on such wide skis designed for use off-piste? I'd certainly accept a compromise when taking a ski on to terrain that's not really what they were designed for.
latest report
andy wrote:
Where I would comment though is, is there a need or want to get to pure carve on piste on such wide skis designed for use off-piste? I'd certainly accept a compromise when taking a ski on to terrain that's not really what they were designed for.
This. You don't buy a dog and expect it to purr, although being able to vary how you initiate a turn (from rotationally dominate through to edge dominant, and all points in between) should be an ambition for all skiers.
snow conditions
My point was (from my fading memory) reviews and sometimes snowheads enthuse about how their wide skis "carve fine" on piste....

I suspect they don't! and I think this thread confirms it! (full time ski instructors excluded!!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy