Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best time to visit Hemel at the weekend

Poster: A snowHead
After 2 skiing trips I'm starting to get the skiing bug, so I thought it would be good to go to Hemel for the first time this weekend (with a view to going more regularly over the next few months). Being still fairly new to skiing (and my first time to Hemel), I thought it would be good to pick a time which wasn't too busy and the snow in a reasonable condition. Any help or advice on the best time to go would be much appreciated! Smile

Apologies if this has been posted on here before. I did try to search but couldn't find anything (I'm a bit of a newbie here so still finding my feet).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't been to Hemel but if it is anything Tamworth check when the kids clubs are running as that will be mayhem and in general the quietest time is as soon as they open and then it just gets busier as the day wears on (same on that for Chill Factore and Xscape Cas).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Handy Turnip, it's a bit unpredictable to be honest. It's getting quite busy now the season is within sight. If you want the best snow turn up as early as you can. If you can get there early enough to get kitted up before the slope actually opens you can even get fresh tracks. If you can't do early then late (after 6) tends to be quieter but the snow conditions will be more challenging, particularly if there's been any race training during the day. Lunchtime can also be quite quiet as people retire to the bar.

Keep an eye on the 'Events' and 'Slope Restrictions' to see if there's anything going on that will make the slope smaller or busier than usual.
http://www.thesnowcentre.com/offers-and-events/events-calendar - It looks like the 2nd/3rd November wouldn't be ideal.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks all for the replies, I'm currently eyeing up this weekend, either Sat evening or early Sunday morning.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were there for an 8am start last Sunday, and it was quiet. I was surprised how busy it was by 10am...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Handy Turnip, both little ms spock, and daveyladboy, are bang on.
No good for you, but, there is a video cam showing slope usage on their website. So, if possible (for another visit), use this AND most importantly, the events calender to make your decision.
Even experienced punters get it wrong at times. Hope you have a good ski. I expect ( as last year) the snowcentre will heavily promote the facility in the winter season and the slope will get too crowded. Bon ski.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Handy Turnip,
Sunday 8am ; Sat eve may well be pretty quiet but the slope will be well churned up so not good if learning
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Handy Turnip, I would suggest early Sunday morning as if it is busy on Saturday the slope will/may be horrible by Saturday evening and there is also the freestyle toys out to play so that reduces the size of the slope.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are children's classes running first thing for two hours both days at the weekend (or at least there was a month or so ago! Can't imagine that will have changed) But - the snow is much better then and it is generally very quiet. We usually go Saturday at 8am as our children have lessons then, and take it in turns to have a lesson ourselves whilst the other one looks after our two year old.

Having said that we only started doing the Saturdays as of March or so last year so I've no idea how hectic it is in this part of the season.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers guys for all the tips, looks like early mornings is the way to go. Looks like there are kids lessons from 9am, so might try to sneak on before that.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last month at least, Snowstars runs from 8am on the Saturday and possibly the Sunday. So you won't escape them entirely - but honestly, they're not that bad. They're perfectly competent, but not old enough (and they're pretty well controlled) to engage in deliberately irritating behaviour. They're certainly no more annoying on average than a given random adult in my experience - sure, they're in the way at times, but no more so than adults.

Most regular ski lessons for abilities up to Snowstars level do start from 9am.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My experience is that at 8am it's pretty quiet, there are few lessons and things like tobogganing so the lifts run pretty smoothly. By 9am though it's starting to get busy and it stays that way until lunch. Lunchtime itself is a pretty good time to ski. Then after lunch there's another bit of a peak before it gets gradually quieter as the afternoon/evening progress, but the snow will be more variable by this time (but that doesn't particularly bother me).

The weekend is always busy compared to how it was on a Tuesday during the day a week or two ago, so if you can go midweek that would be by far the best time to do it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
May & June.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Laughing But true!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, Rob is right! We're cutting right back over the winter partly because for various reasons (not least of which baby on board!) we're not going to the mountains this year Crying or Very sad But even if we were, we'd still be cutting back. It seems to work out far better to go in the summer months. Far less crowded and far more special offers. Plus nothing like skiing on a hot summer's day for a bit of respite!

However I say this as somebody who started learning myself in December at Hemel and there was no way I was going to postpone going until the summer at that point, so feel free to ignore snowHead
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
May & June.

Unless you manage to pick the same weekends that either:
BASI; Warren Smith; Inside Out; Pulse etc. are all running clinics Toofy Grin
or
race or freestyle events are on Twisted Evil

It's amazing how well they keep the place busy even in the summer months.

Don't let any of this put you off. There are some advantages to having other people around. Generally skiers (and boarders) are friendly and the better ones make allowances for the less skilled. Watch them when you're grabbing a coffee in the bar and see who you'd like to emulate. Also, if you can handle skiing down the slope at Hemel on a Saturday afternoon you're going to find the last run home (when everyone is heading back to resort) a darn sight easier.
snow conditions
little ms spock, too true wink I find it difficult to forecast when it is going to be regular busy for that time of year and when it is going to be extra busy. Sometimes I expect it to be very busy and it's strangely quiet, and vice versa.
snow report
Sunday very early morning, be there for the first lift and you might enjoy a few nice runs!!!
ski holidays
Sunday morning 8-9 may be a bit quieter; but there is a fair amount of stuff going on. Snowstars; Academy etc.

4-6pm slot can be less busy as those that were around for kids / early PM lessons have left and those watching / playing sport are still doing so. Weekend evenings between 7-9 are getting busier.

But; winter has arrived; I'd be worried if we were not busy; and as Rob said; May and June; and the couple of weeks in September when the schools go back is usually fairly slack....
ski holidays
Cheers all - following everyone's advice I went for a 8am start. It was busier than I expected with a kids slalom at the edge of the run, but it wasn't too bad. First few runs were a bit shaky (in fact as I started my first run my mind suddenly went blank as if I'd completely forgotten how to ski! Spent most of the first run snowplough turning!).

Soon got the hang of it again though and had great fun - especially when they cleared the kids slalom and we had the whole slope clear for skiing (no freestyle jumps or anything either!!). Absolutely loved it and didn't want to stop! I love this skiing lark!! Can't wait to go again!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Handy Turnip wrote:
Absolutely loved it and didn't want to stop! I love this skiing lark!! Can't wait to go again!! Very Happy

Have you met franzClammer?

...you will soon Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Haha.. can't wait!!! Laughing
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Haha.. can't wait!!! Laughing

Be patient, young padowan and don't laugh too soon - he skis at warp speed and has vicious attack droids Shocked
latest report
Saturday 8pm is a good time.....plus normally do a late ski pass.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy