Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes early jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead 's

I have been to Tignes twice but more than twenty years ago, I believe it was around March, I've just booked my flights for Jan 5th and just wondered if anyone can tell me what its like there early in Jan. I have a great offer for a catered chalet at Le Lac, Chalet Martins. Just a bit worried that up there above the treeline it might be very exposed and suffer from lift closures. I would probably get the full espace killy pass, can you get a bit lower if the weather is dodgy or would I be effectively chalet bound. Puzzled

I loved it there last time and have quite good ski gear. Very tempted.

Anyone more in the know than me?

thanks, you guys normally give good advice. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can expect it to be cold. Last year in mid Jan it was minus 20C on several days on the glacier and only a few degree warmer at village level. However, so long as the wind isn't too strong (and you have reasonable kit), this shouldn't be a worry. You can always nip into a restaurant / hut for a coffee if you are getting cold.

Last year I was lucky and had not a single lift closure all week. In previous years in Jan, and later in the season, I have had lift closures whilst avi work is conducted. This can take an hour or two (and on one occasion it took most of the day - the conditions the following day were worth the wait Happy ). Yes, it can be a bit exposed and yes you can get lower to get down amongst some trees (down to Les Boisses and Breviere). However, you would have to do a bit of exposed skiing before you get down to the trees (either that or take the bus down to Les Boisses).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you thought of staying in Les Brevieres? A couple of options would be http://www.skibonjour.com/chalets-france.cfm or http://www.chaletchardons.com/
Chardons offers something to suit every budget, Bonjour is solid mid-range. Both are well-run, in our experience.

It's pretty fast to get up high from Les Brev, but at least you're starting below tree line if the weather is unkind.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been to Tignes in Jan every year for the past 7 years. The conditions have always been good and it has been rare for any lifts to be closed. If they are closed, it is normally due to wind.

As said, it can get very cold. On the upside, this keeps the snow in mint condition.

January is quiet and you can normally ski up to the lift gate/barrier, all day long. The only exception is Tommeuses for the last lift back. Don't leave this one too late.

In Jan you will almost always have a powder day. Last year we got a metre in 24 hours.

Generally, you are above the cloud in Lac.

Enjoy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all of you, I will follow up the links, I also found a link to mountainsun in another of the Tignes posts so im trying them down in Boisse to see if they can match the offer.

I do remember Breviere I liked it much better than Val D'isire, forgive the spelling please. dyslexic and cant remember how to spell these places.

Wish me luck!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
youngeratheart, I'm at Mountain Sun's chalet in Les Boisses for that week with my two children and one of their friends (19,17 and 17). Can't recommend M/S highly enough following my stay with them in San Cassianno a couple of years ago. I reckon you will find it difficult to find cheaper catered accommodation with the service that goes with it. PM me if you want to meet up anyway (ie if you decide not to stay with M/S) Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In early January it will be very Russian. Enough of a reason for me to avoid that week
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing In January in Tignes is probably the best skiing of the season, cold, quiet and lots of snow. The lifts do close if the wind is up or avvy work is going on but they work extremely hard to get them open as soon as its safe. The only lift that is effected regularly is the aeroski which will get you over the top towards Val D'Isere. But there are two other chairs you can brave out to get over if your keen to head over.

There is skiing below the tree line in Breviers and Les Boisses, with the new lift in Les Boisses it will be quick to get to the top and if those lifts aren't running there is a 10 min bus to Le lac/VC.

The only reason I wouldn't recommend staying in Les Boisses or Brev is if you are keen on heading out in Le Lac VC in the evening as the buses stop early back to Les Boisses and there is no bus to Brev.

Enjoy your trip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pez0101, check out the webcams at www.tignes.net.

The aeroski is no more. Now replaced by a shiny new bit of kit which will allow it to remain open at higher wind speeds than the old one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guys, sorry to piggy back on your discusison, but I have also booked a week in Tignes in Jan (11-1Cool and appreciate the discussion!

Listen, does anyone have any experience/insider tips on Hotel Gentiane? Anything I should know?

Thanks loads!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sj1608, thanks for the tip, we have just booked through Chardons but staying in the newly renovated Chalet Hattiers on Jan 11th. We might be crazy but we are doing the night train each way so 8 days skiing instead of 6. Happy days!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
doctornurse, If you have a room at the front - draw your curtains I can see right in from my pad across the road!!! Twisted Evil It is a very good hotel run by a family - Serge is a hotelier of the old school. Good quality tucker and a pleasant small pool in the basement. The bar/reception area is a little lacking in atmosphere (other than just before dinner) but you are very close to all the action in Le Lac. If you dodge the gas tank between you and next door its ski out and about a 70m walk back on a night.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nice! Thanks Chocksaway! We have a room at the BACK of the hotel but I am sure that my GF appreciates the advice re: curtains!

I am currently going through all kids of mental gymnsatics on which skis to rent- I am a good skiier and do 75/25 Piste/ off piste, but realise that the aount of snow in tignes in january might make the pistes more powder-friendly than I am used to at lower Alpine altitudes...

So I am not sure about either Wide all mountain planks for more float, or more piste oriettated sticks for more bite- Will probably rent on the hill, but would prefer to get used to the skis before a 1 week holiday... Any tips?

Cheers!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doctornurse, (interesting location btw). There is a good independent rental shop a few yards down the hill on the opposite side of the road. Usually new or recently new kit and plenty of choice. It's called Le Vallon Blanc. Not averse to swopping kit if conditions change (in my own experience). As chocksaway says your hotel location is very central and convenient.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahhh...thanks GeorgeVII- Much appreciated...

I think that renting on the hill will be expensive, but I will certainly consider it at Le vallon Blanc-

Location? As you might expect, I work for the UN...Learned to ski when I was stationed in Geneva for 6 years, and am now posted in Nigeria.
Skiing in Geneva hooked me for life (definitely one of the top 3 places in the world to ski given the sheer number of stations in three countries within a 3 hour drive)
Was immediately hooked and skiing is now a part of my lifestyle- Hence my 3 week Swiss/French Alpine ski holiday in January! (CANNOT wait!)

Cheers! Very Happy
ski holidays
I've done Tignes in Jan for the last couple of years, and stayed in Chalet Les Martins last Jan. I'll also be there the same time as you, Youngeratheart.

I echo all that's said here about it being a bit cold and windy sometimes. But that's the same for anywhere; we've had a couple of poor days and some bluebirds. One year we were up skiing by the Aguille Rouge in a blizzard, the wind was rotten but the bowl was sheltered so we we dossing about in thigh-deep powder - hilarious.

Wrap up warm and you'll be fine. Martins is not a bad pad - make sure the heater's on in the boot room and have a close look at the net on the Bluets run - you can nip down the end of it and find yourself at Chalet Martins' front door; it'll save you a walk uphill.
ski holidays
Oh, ad staying in Brevières is all very well but the ski run back down is often rotten due to the low altitude.
latest report
doctornurse wrote:
Nice! Thanks Chocksaway! We have a room at the BACK of the hotel but I am sure that my GF appreciates the advice re: curtains!

I am currently going through all kids of mental gymnsatics on which skis to rent- I am a good skiier and do 75/25 Piste/ off piste, but realise that the aount of snow in tignes in january might make the pistes more powder-friendly than I am used to at lower Alpine altitudes...

So I am not sure about either Wide all mountain planks for more float, or more piste oriettated sticks for more bite- Will probably rent on the hill, but would prefer to get used to the skis before a 1 week holiday... Any tips?

Cheers!

Try some Volkl Mantras - I had some last year and they were fantastic! Google them - all reviews are excellent.
snow report
Thanks- Was looking at that, but I am not sure- I am a good skiier, but no expert and they seem to be super aggressive skis for the bigger dude.
Also I will be in Tignes with the GF who is also a good skiier, but its going to be a relaxed week for us...

Given that I will have a super short season (10ski days before I go back to Nigeria) I am not sure that I will have the legs to really wring the performance out of them.

Was looking at the Fischer Wateas- seem a little mellower and at 84 underfuut might be a bit more forgiving- if not as good a performer on proper powder days...

Thanks for the advice though! Much appreciated!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy