Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere - Piste Map and advice

Poster: A snowHead
We are all booked up for La Rosiere and Esprit Ski have taken the last pennies due. Looking online I cannot find any piste maps that have directions (up or down arrows). The maps aren't clear if slopes connect to lifts. Please excuse me if this seems obvious. Does anyone have a better piste map?

My friends and I are all OK on the blues. The resort has quite a few blues but I was a bit concerned we may get bored and cannot see if blues run to blues etc.

Would appreciate your expert advice on La Ros please.

Mike.

p.s. perhaps we need to get better at skiing!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike-H, click this link for a great 5mb pdf piste map. Don't worry aboout the reds, most are almost blue, a sort of purpley colour.
http://www.skilarosiere1850.com/tzr/scripts/downloader2.php?filename=T004/fichier/27/1a/48ib5uptnkje&mime=application/pdf&originalname=T_l_chargez_le_plan_des_pistes_de_l_Espace_San_Bernardo-La_Rosi_re.pdf
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The maps aren't clear if slopes connect to lifts.

I have never been to La Rosiere but in all the other resorts I have been to the slopes always connect with the lifts Toofy Grin

But seriously, piste maps don't have directional arrows which I'll admit can occasionally cause confusion. And it can also be difficult to be sure a run connects to a lift. Unfortunately, if you've look at a few online piste maps and it isn't obvious looking at a few others isn't going to help. You will just have to suck and see.

Quote:

The resort has quite a few blues but I was a bit concerned we may get bored and cannot see if blues run to blues etc.

That statement confuses me somewhat. Maybe you can provide a link to the map you are looking at and a specific example of what you mean?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking at the map - Belette is really very blue all the way to the fort chair. Go up th fort chair and Blaireau and Traversette both have quite steep drop-ins, definitely red, but you can come in at both from wide out and traverse the top bits, perhaps chucking in a cheeky turn. Once you have cracked these then you are ready to drop over the back and into Italy Cool Also from the top of the Fort chair you can take Choucas back to resort but then hang a left on Blanchot (a super and very empty run with lovely rollers and bends, or Mouflon, which sadly descends to the worlds slowest chair.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What I was trying to say was ....

In my excitement I was trying to figure out how to ski from blue to blue and work out where lifts connect to avoid taking a couple of friends down red runs. Yes I know it will become clear in resort but whilst looking online with Mrs H we could not quite figure it out.

Mrs H is not a fan of the reds yet (and I am only just managing to ski them).

Thanks Frosty I will take a look.

From experience I found that in resort printed maps sometimes have arrows. This allows some planning before setting off in the morning.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The La Rosiere map can be quite confusing as it's trying to show 3 different aspects. On the "Petit Saint Bernard" area in the middle of the map, up is right and down is left.

More generally, the runs may not have arrows, but the lifts do have little figures on chairlifts. All of these little guys are facing uphill!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stevo - Now I may be a tad new but I can spot a ski lift Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike-H, Rather than wander about trying to work out where you are, why not go to any of the ski schools for a guided tour of the area, after a couple of days you'll soon get the lie of land. Espirit have an arrangement with EVO2 but the ESF offer guided tours, try contacting the Tourist Office, they're very helpful, www.larosiere.net
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike-H, my point was that it tells you which way is up! If you know where the top of the lift is, you know that's the start of the piste!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevomcd, I thought you were being helpful.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Busy bee today. Just booked lift pass to get early bird discount. Ski hire looks decent price in resort. Esprit tad more expensive even with kids free stuff but may be simple solution.

Booked two morning sessions for some 'improvement' lessons on first two days. Should be just the job.

Thanks for your replies.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike-H
You sound like similar ability to me an my wife.If you take the drag lift up and Papillon down to Les Eucherts you can traverse up to the fort using Lifts and blues.
The Choucas blue then takes you all the way back to la Rosiere, easily in time for lunch before picking the children up from Esprit at 2pm. We did it in about 2 hours, including 2 coffee(beer) stops.
On your first day at the resort the Esprit staff will talk you through the Piste map to clear up any grey areas. Esprit will also give you free guiding on certain days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tyke2, Thanks for that. Sounds like a good idea.

Went with esprit last year. No complaints at all and child care was excellent. The free guiding though was aimed at those with higher levels. They went out for many hours and covered lots of mixed ability slopes. I declined as I would have looked a total numpty. My friends son went and loved it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike

When are you in the resort / which chalet??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
off to La Ros for NY week with Green Rides.....also booked the early bird discount for lift pass as cheaper....runs to 30/11 for anyone going.

its cheaper to book a family of 4 seperately than the family deal with the 10% discount as they don t apply that to family pass booking for some reason

and unless im mistaken the passes are posted to you in UK so no faffing about in resort
latest report
Mike-H, second the comments above that suggest lesson or guiding specifically for you - that should help you both get over to Italian side where there are lots more 'blue' opportunities and fab hot chocolates Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Only skied there once in a white-out. But looking at the map there is only one blue run I am really unsure about and that is Faisan (near edge of far area). But I think it must be down to the right?
latest report
Mike-H, just to emphasize what severally others have said above, the reds in La Ros really are not very red at all, just pretend the sticks are blue and you will be fine, they are not difficult runs at all. Quite a small resort so limiting yourselves to blues you may get bored.
Be sure and get yourself over the top to Italy too, the second restaurant on run 7 is an absolute cracker, easily missed as you have to ski down to the left, its shortly after the big on piste hotel on the left. And the run is definitely not red, its an easy ski all the way down
snow report
No, Faisan is down to the left.

If you looked at the wee dude hanging from the Chardonnet chair, you would know this! wink
snow conditions
anyone know which of the lifts are free in La Ros please for begineers ?
snow conditions
stefoy4me, I think it's just the drag tows at resort level.
ski holidays
Cheers Stevo
ski holidays
Ah...La Rosiere...time for some snowHeads nostalgia....who was the non-stop La Ros' plugger back in the day, and whatever happened to him?
snow report
I am now actually running a place there, so I'll happily become the La Ros plugger if invited! Blush
snow report
stefoy4me, Will be in La Ros over NY. Staying in La Ferme - Begonia (sp?) I think. You are right about booking family lift pass separately if you book early.

My little girl (5) is booked in for her first ski lessons. Esprit advised that she will not need a lift pass as they will start on the nursery slopes. If she needs one towards the end of the week we can get day passes I think.

I am looking forward to it but after skiing Avoriaz and surrounding area last March I am concerned it is a small resort.
ski holidays
SkiG, Will try to get to Italy. Not sure Mrs H will fancy that though. I here its windy, very long drag lifts and will mean skiing red runs.
latest report
Quote:

I am concerned it is a small resort.

Quote:

and will mean skiing red runs.

There are some great instructors in La Rosiere. Treat yourselves and get more out of the resort as well as improving your skiing
snow report
Hi Frosty. Got 2 x 3 hour sessions booked for first couple of days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The free lift is the first drag (Manessiere) lift next to the Esprit chalets, just below the kids snow garden. You need passes for all the others.
ski holidays
tyke2, I see. Are Esprit providing duff information? Will my daughter need a lift pass? Has anyone got experience of beginner lessons for kids in La Ros?

She is having a few intro lessons at Snowdome first. She is just starting to snow plow now after two mini lessons. I wanted to get her used to skis in a friendly environment with me near by. Hoping she will be turning on the slopes before we get there.
ski holidays
rungsp, D@T Happy days Wink
latest report
Mike-H, go to www.skilarosiere1850.com for all the information on lift passes, if your kids are less than 5 yrs old no lift pass required for La Rosiere.
ski holidays
Mike-H wrote:
I am looking forward to it but after skiing Avoriaz and surrounding area last March I am concerned it is a small resort.

Mike, I think the best way to improve your skiing is to ski the same run(s) over and over again.

Obviously, I'm talking early days (and not one run all week), but that sounds like where you are.

Knowing a given set of runs inside out enables you to you get your hips moving more, and concentrate on keeping your head still, shoulders down the mountain, knees bent etc.

A great confidence builder for beginning/intermediate skiers.
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
No, Faisan is down to the left.

If you looked at the wee dude hanging from the Chardonnet chair, you would know this! wink

The wee dude doesn't make that clear since we don't know which way the way the lift the run follows goes. I admit, though, it makes your conclusion seem a bit more likely. I'm now wondering if I have misunderstood the direction of others and perhaps the OP was right to be confused.
snow report
Both drag lifts run in the same direction. The names Bellecombe I & II are both at the lower end of the drag lifts on the map, both travelling in the same direction. The start of the Bellecombe I drag is the lowest part of that sector.
snow conditions
stefoy4me, There are 2 free drag lifts at Front de Neige, the main village, and 2 free drag lifts at Les Eucherts
snow conditions
snowball, as I said before, for that all section, right is up, left is down. There is a ridge-line running along from the first aid post marked at the top of Bellecombe 2 to the peak marked Chaz Dura. Once you cross the ridge-line, up/down reverses - left is up, right is down.
ski holidays
OK, I confess I'm useless at reading piste maps so apologies for some more probably ignorant questions. I'm trying to work out options staying on the easiest runs possible. I found these Ski Beat guides, which are obviously old as they discuss a lift that doesn't exist any more and at least one run with a different classification (belette was red and now blue), but I wondered how accurate people would say they are apart from these discrepancies please.

http://www.rosiere.co.uk/index.php/skiing-in-la-rosiere/ski-slopes/la-thuile

http://www.rosiere.co.uk/index.php/skiing-in-la-rosiere/ski-slopes/la-rosiere

I'm reasonably competent after a lot of dry slope lessons/practice (only one week on snow though), but fighting my brain i.e. scared stiff when it comes to steep sections and narrow ones (especially with a drop on the side), so the easier the run the more I enjoy it at the moment. I'm OK with schussing though as long as I can see that it's levelling out in front. Not overly happy on busy slopes, which I suspect is an issue as we're going 1st March i.e. when 2/3 of France are still on holiday Sad

I think some form of lessons/guiding would be a good idea, but if nothing else we'll still have the first day without knowing where to go!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Looking at the map - Belette is really very blue all the way to the fort chair. Go up th fort chair and Blaireau and Traversette both have quite steep drop-ins, definitely red, but you can come in at both from wide out and traverse the top bits, perhaps chucking in a cheeky turn. Once you have cracked these then you are ready to drop over the back and into Italy Cool Also from the top of the Fort chair you can take Choucas back to resort but then hang a left on Blanchot (a super and very empty run with lovely rollers and bends, or Mouflon, which sadly descends to the worlds slowest chair.

I can't get to Italy without doing Bouquetin, can I? Are Blaireau or Travesette similar to Bouquetin then that you suggest practising them first or a bit easier? I like the look of the Italian side, but if I've scared myself rigid getting there I won't enjoy it.

I think that chair lift is the one that's missing now? Am I right in thinking I can still take Mouflon and then pick up Lauzes back into Les Eucherts?

Thanks

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 9-02-14 8:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
tyke2 wrote:
If you take the drag lift up and Papillon down to Les Eucherts you can traverse up to the fort using Lifts and blues.
The Choucas blue then takes you all the way back to la Rosiere, easily in time for lunch before picking the children up from Esprit at 2pm. We did it in about 2 hours, including 2 coffee(beer) stops.

Can I just check please, would this be doing Myrtilles then dropping onto Choucas for a small section then RN91 to Roc Noir lift then Belette to Fort lift?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy