Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for somewhere to ski with my family (parents, sister + bf, and my gf) this winter. Hopefully someone can help out!

Mostly looking for a good range of blue/easy red cruisy pistes for my Mum (not the most confident of skier, has a slightly dodgy neck atm so didn't ski last year), some steeper pistes/easy offpiste for my sister and her bf would be great too, but mainly concerned about finding nice stuff for my Mum. Good offpiste would obviously be nice form my point of view, but tbh this will be a family trip and I'm perfectly happy chilling out together on the groomers, so it's not a priority.

Previously she's particularly enjoyed the SkiWelt and the PdS; basically cruisy pistey places. Somewhere new would be nice though, we weren't overly enamoured with the PdS and we've had something like 6 weeks in Westendorf over the years.

From what I gather, the Dolomites could be pretty perfect? Plus Italian food, potential to get a guide for a day with my gf to try and score some of those gorgeous couloirs, general Dolomitian scenery... Pyrenees or southern Alps maybe worth a look too? Haven't been to the Aosta Valley for ages either, and never in winter...

Probably looking at self catering, but in a nice place. Preferably with jacuzzi/hot tub. Hotel or catered chalet with sauna/spa type thing would be fine, but we're happy enough cooking ourselves/going out to not need to pay the extra. Not 100% sure on the budget, not scrimping but not a blowout either. Package probably doesn't work as my parents will be going from the Midlands, sister from Aberdeen and myself from Austria.

If anyone has any tips for particular resorts (I know zilch about these areas) or accommodation to look into that'd be great!

Cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 21-10-13 20:56; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh, I assume Innsbruck and Venice are probably the best airports for the Dolomites? Is a day trip to Venice feasible from any of the resorts there?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andalo has the type of skiing you are looking for including easy off piste.

It is a very long time since my trip there and I stayed in a hotel but can't remember its name. Hopefully others will have more up to date info.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Madonna di campiglio all the way...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For Madonna fly to Verona with easyjet for about £50 return. Hire a car and its a couple of hours drive
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Is a day trip to Venice feasible from any of the resorts there?

Cortina to Venice is 2 hours by car. It was a while ago, but I remember it as an easy drive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, I'm sure you've seen them mentioned before on here, but have a look at http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn

I'm sure Joanne will be along shortly (or send her a PM) to advise you how to find a guide for the Val Mesdi or any of the other very scenic off-piste routes in the area.

But if you wanted a day trip to Venice from there then you are probably looking at 3 hours each way.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am a big fan of St Vigilio. Not too many Brits go there - a definite plus for me - and it is pretty enough. I stay regularly at www.mareo.it which is self catering and quite nice, but no hot tubs or jacuzzis. Good access to the Kronplatz ski area. Can do Sella Ronda by popping over the Piculin run (a lovely black - one of my favourites) which you can download by gondola if you don't like blacks, and then a bus link. It is easier if you have a car. A car also allows Hidden Valley and Scottoni's. Plenty of skiing including the Marmolada glacier. A good leisure centre at Reischach http://www.cron4.it/en/ but you need a car to get there from St Vigilio. Good eating out at http://www.fanaladina.com/

There's a lot more too. As I say, I am a big big fan.

We tend to fly to Munich as there seem to be reasonably priced flights with Lufthansa and I try to stay an extra night in Munich before flying home, as I really love Munich.
The area has a good mix of ski runs of varying standards. Worth a trip
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, I would consider somewhere on Sella Ronda - Corvara (for easier access to Alpa Badia, Hidden Valley and glacier), Val Gardena (bigger place and best for apres apparently). I think for those resorts Innsbruck is actually the closest airport.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like Tom W says, Val Gardena can be reached in around 2 hours from Innsbruck plus it also gives you easy access to the Seiseralm ski area which might be perfect for your mum? It's the one part on the Sella circuit I haven't skied but I've hiked there a lot. Perfect undulating and rolling meadow terrain which is up on a plateau so gives awesome views and it can be accessed (both up and down) by lift from Ortisei in the Val Gardena valley as another exploring option from a base nearby.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alta Badia area would be perfect for your mum - nearest resorts are San Cassiano, Corvara, La villa

Some UK tour operators fly into Venice, and with an early departure on your last day, a trip around Venice is included (probably for a fee!!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
Alta Badia area would be perfect for your mum - nearest resorts are San Cassiano, Corvara, La villa

Some UK tour operators fly into Venice, and with an early departure on your last day, a trip around Venice is included (probably for a fee!!)

+1

The Alta Badia resorts are blue run heaven, plus easy access to more challenging terrain of the whole Sella Ronda area for those who want it.

Best reached from Innsbruck over the Brenner autobahn, can you pick them up from the airport and drive over?

Venice is possible, but the route involves higher pass roads which are kept open through winter, but could be a problem immediately after a heavy snowfall.

Lower altitude access from Venice is possible to Arabba and the resorts in Val Gardena like Selva, but these wouldn't be as suitable for Mum as there are difficult to avoid reds into resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone, lots to look into!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

a trip around Venice is included (probably for a fee!!)

Venice is one of those places where you can just get there and wander around - you really don't need to pay for a guided tour, nice just to potter. Get a book of tickets for the water busses. If you've never been there - just go!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for the Alta Badia area - we went to Corvara last season with Collets - http://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/ - who are highly recommended. They offer catered chalets, hotels and SC. They don't do flights but did include a transfer from Venice MP. You could arrange your own short stay in Venice - several people had done that the week we were there.
Stunning scenery, loads of blue runs, huge choice of good places for lunch - ideal for your group. The Val Mezde is the classic off-piste route (guide needed) in the area. Oh and Collets also do organised walks if Mum fancied a day off from skiing.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

a trip around Venice is included (probably for a fee!!)

Venice is one of those places where you can just get there and wander around - you really don't need to pay for a guided tour, nice just to potter. Get a book of tickets for the water busses. If you've never been there - just go!

We've been before, though as my sister and I were 8/9 at the time, probably didn't appreciate it as much as we should have! My Mum will probably have a rest day or two, so would be great to take her back. Had a lovely day with her chilling in Chamonix when we had a week in the PdS last season.
snow conditions
+1 for Alta Badia (stunning in fresh snow and good in normal conditions) and Cortina (scenery, town and scope of skiing).

Your best option is probably going to be car hire or package holiday going to Alta Badia (Innsbruck Airport would be preferable, imo) and Cortina from the north (over a high pass where I once got snowed in overnight many years ago).

Cortina from the south is less problematic - note that there are two options for Venice airports (Marco Polo and Treviso) and there is public transport available from both to Cortina in the winter. But if you are living in Innsbruck then it would make sense for them to fly in there?

Although more accessible Val Gardena can have some unexpectedly tricky runs, especially on some of the links, so would need care with mother.
ski holidays
For your Mum +1 for Alta Badia and also Seiseralm. The latter has spectacular scenery, gentle confidence building runs and great mountain huts. You can access the steeper stuff by bus at one end of the area which takes you down a snowy track to the main area above the Groednertal.
snow report
The top of Val Gardena is quite steep on both sides. You can edge ur way slowly down this bit and then its ok. I went on one brutally narrow steep black linking run to get home one day which I would rather avoid doing again.

Saying that, once you get past those really small tough bits, there are loads of nice blues and reds. When I went in admittedly good ski conditions, the pistes were in great condition and so smooth you can go really fast down runs without worrying about catching an edge. The downhill run is actually not that hard. I think they make it a black to stop 2 week skiers going down it as it is still steep but wide and there are flat bits so you don't fall too far if you go over.

I wouldn't recommend staying in Corvara if you want to do much of the Val Gardena stretch as the lift ride over takes forvever without that much skiing. The Sella Ronda is a bit unneccesary imo as you end up spending time on lifts rather than enjoying the skiing. If you want to do the hidden valley ( I found this actually harder than the val gardena downhill run) then its better to be in Cortina as whilst it is a beautiful run, most runs in the Dolomites are beautiful and it takes ages to get there.
The food there is really good and the scenery is out of this world. The après ski wasn't great.
snow conditions
I think the Sella Ronda has the most spectacular mountains I know, jutting straight up out of the meadows, but the mostly gentle skiing is on the meadows, linking between passes, so perfect for your group. There is some gentle off piste but mostly it is demanding, in spectacular slopes threading between the high mountain rocks and requires a guide ( see TR ). Intermediate skiers can get an idea of the ambiance by skiing the Hidden Valley piste from Lagazuoi, lift accessed from the Falzarego pass (bus or taxi). Cortina is in a spectacular position but I am not so keen on it as it has bits of skiing around a quite large town and I don't like the way they have buldozed the mountain to make many of the pistes (though this is more apparent in the summer). Probably a good place if you are with non-skiers, though.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 27-10-13 18:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Kitzbuhel? Not Dolomites clearly but meets your other criteria, plus you could all meet at Munich airport? Great piste skiing.
snow report
Quote:

Cortina to Venice is 2 hours by car. It was a while ago, but I remember it as an easy drive.

But it can easily be a nightmare drive. It has taken me 3 hours just to get to the motorway and it can be equally slow getting to the car parks for the water bus to Venice. I would allow 4 hours and if it is less be happy.
snow report
Perhaps the non skiers could spend a while in Venice and then rejoin the others?
ski holidays
+1 for Alta Badia for what you seem to be looking for. I'd say Venice was pushing it for a day trip though. Better to fly in/out that way and spend a day at one end of the week.
snow conditions
clarky999, we took a nervous friend to San Cassiano, flew into Innsbruck and drove from there.

We stayed at this place http://www.hotel-lastua.it/

Was very friendly, food was ok, had a wellness centre.

San Cassiano suited us fine, a few small bars for an Apres drink on the walk back from the lifts (lockers at lift station so boots/skis left there) and would certainly go back!

Very cruisy wide blues in the immediate area, and some very easy reds as well...

All sorts of accom options via the home page http://www.alta-badia.org/en/country-people/san-cassiano.html

snow report
Booked the Gran Biata hotel in Selva Gardena, looks really rather incredible!!

Should be a great trip; I haven't skied with my sister for a while now.

Any tips on finding guided groups for a day? I think a private guide for me and my gf is likely to be too expensive.
snow report
The Gran Baita is a really nice hotel. You'll have a ball.
ski holidays
clarky999, I like the look of the straw covered coffin treatment in the wellness centre - unusual to say the least Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
(lockers at lift station so boots/skis left there) and would certainly go back!

Chilly boots in the morning, no thanks wink
ski holidays
The locker room is probably heated, I know the one I leave mine in is.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy