Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go. 2 newbies, 2 intermediates

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We're a group of four friends planning on going skiing in the alps next jan/feb time for a week. Two of us have been quite a few times (Flachau, Morzine twice, Le Gets, Meribel) and are fairly confident on most runs now. The other two haven't been before so will need some gentle slopes and some tuition.

We are in our twenties and do want somewhere with good apres ski. Ive been using several sites to find somewhere that would suit us all, but struggling and keep going round in circles. I am tempted by the 3 valleys again, as meribel was in the centre of a great ski area, but we did find it expensive and a lot of brits. I then looked at maybe st anton or ischgl, but these dont seem to be great for newbies.

Others Im now looking at include Solden, but is this a very good ski area for our mix? Or Verbier, but again is this any good for beginners and too expensive also?

Any suggestions would be great as Im not really getting anywhere now.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could look at La Rosiere, its good value, has a reasonably sized ski area, 160 kms of piste and is linked to La Thuile in Italy. There are a number of god ski schools in the village and beginners aren't limited to the nursery slopes. There is a reasonable amount of apre-ski which is accessable because the village isn't large and everywhere is within walking distance. Go to www.larosiere.net for lots of information, if you're looking for catered chalets, then either www.morealps.com or www.amountainchalet.com offer super vaue but most of the major TOs have accomodation in the resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks ill have a look at those sites. cheers for quick response
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In France, Peisey-Vallandry, part of Les Arcs and also linked with La Plagne would be good. Lots of chalets on or very close to the slopes, good apres in the Mont Blanc bar on the piste, other bars down in the village. Excellent British ski school New Generation for the beginners, good selection of blues for them to progress to once they are off the nursey slopes, 400km of pistes for you to explore - very central location, right next to Vanoise express (link to La Plagne). Nowhere near as Brit-dominant as Meribel, and not as busy either (in my experience).

St Anton and Ischgl are both good resorts, and Austrian apres is in a different league to French, but I wouldn't recommend either for beginners, as the progression options aren't good. I first skied Ischgl for my 3rd week on snow, and found it a bit intimidating. I went back 3 times when I could ski better and enjoyed it a lot more. However, I'm there are many Austrian resorts that would suit your group - the one that comes to mind from what I've read is Saalbach, but I've not skied there myself. I'm sure someone else with direct experience will be on in a minute though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
weaselofthewest, by general consensus the best "apres ski" (if you want noisy bars and lots of cheesy stuff wink ) is in austria. there are plenty of good places for beginners in Austria but St Anton probably isn't one of them. Be careful of your dates - find out about local holiday dates and crowded times before making any decisions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, two resorts come to mind for me, just from personal experience...

1) Montgenevre in France but right on Italian border. Resort itself has brilliant village level progressive greens and blues, suit complete beginner and upwards. There are also some great challenging runs in resort easily accessed by better skiers. Then there are the links to the superb milky way circuit (Claviere, Sestriere and Sauxe if you get far enough. Village itself is ok, nothing special, but eating and drinking is a good bit cheaper than other major French resorts. We were mixed ability group inc one complete beginner, and we all loved it.

2) Westendorf in Austria. Same comments really as above but much better village atmosphere and typical Austrian hospitality. Everything is close by, village runs are dead easy, but superb links to Ski Welt - Soll, Scheffau, Ellmau....there are great advanced options as well as brilliant inter runs all across the area.

I would go back to either in a heartbeat...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
weaselofthewest, - it has to be Austria for the après. Soll would fit the bill or somewhere else on the SkiWelt area, but some of the villages are quieter than others.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
weaselofthewest, Why not go for a hat trick in Morzine. We have a new lift up the Plenay to lots of good slopes for your beginners, and some other testing stuff for you. You know it well by now. Good apres ski with lots of live music around. Great ski schools for your debutants as well.
Can do you a good deal in our B&B from Sat 18 to Friday 24th. 6 day stay.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi DallyPaul, can you accommodate 5 early 40s blokes on their annual "Dad's ski weekend", 2 nights from Friday jan 24th?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saalbach.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy