Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix / Les Houches question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to Cham in January. We usually stay very close to the Train Station as it's easier to get the train to Vallorcine for Le Tour and the Train Station is where the coach to Courmayeur goes from.

It's never crossed my mind to get the train to Les Houches, but it seems there are two stations there.

Does anyone know if it's walkable from either station to either of the two lifts ?

Our timing for the bus is usually shocking and we end up waiting for ages.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From the Viaduct St Marie it is a 10 min walk to the Prarion Lift.
When you get off the train at the Servos end of the Viaduct it looks a very unlikely place.
After a few min of walking in the woods you will arrive at the back of the Apartments opposite the Prarion lift.
If there is loads of snow the adventurous ones can ski most of the way back to the train - the last 100 meters being "Not recommended".
This is my local train station ( I live just uphill of the lift station) it is underused de to it's existence being virtually unknown to Chamonix Valley residents, and the regular les Houches Station being in an annoyingly inconvinient position.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Going in the direction of St Gervais-Le Fayet, from Chamonix the train stops at the station in Les Houches and then the next stop 3 minutes later is a at the Halte des Chavants - Viaduc de Ste Marie, which is a "request stop"/halt rather than a station.

See this page for photos http://www.railsavoie.fr/cartes/stmarie.html

Les Houches station is about 1.3km from the Bellevue cable car and the Halte de Viaduc de Ste Marie is about 500 metres from the Prarion gondola
The first 100 metres or so from the halt is on a path through the forest - so whether or not it's practical wearing ski boots, with the possibility of deep snow in January, you'd need to check locally at the time.

On this page http://www.leshouches.com/pdf/plan-village-les-houches.pdf look at Quartier Les Chavants and you'll see the track marked from the halt to the edge of the village.

And this page http://www.chamonix.com/pdf/plan-itineraire-raquette.pdf shows the snow show circuit on the edge of Les Houches, which starts close to the track to the edge of the forest.

Hope this of help - but someone who has done it in winter may be able to give better advice
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy