Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gulmarg, India. Two weeks in February

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for partner(s) for two weeks of intense backcountry in Gulmarg this February.

Gulmarg is a village in India controlled Kashmir, situataed at about 2500m with gondola going from ~2600m to ~3000m and then to almost 4000m. It's very down south, so the season lasts only from mid January to mid March, during which it receives several meters of snow, mostly pow. Most of the riders of the kind I am looking to partner with have an idea what the place is like, but for the rest - it's a biiig north - northeast facing slope, divided into many bowls of which only a single one is patrolled and is considered in-bounds.

The green part is the patrolled and gondola serviced area, everything else is backcountry.

I am going there this February for two weeks. I would like to stretch it to three, but that may be impossible. I haven't booked a ticket to India yet, so dates are still flexible. I want to book it around end of November, unless prices start climbing.

I am looking for somebody willing to go there with me, as we know you don't go solo in the mountains. Most of my friends either don't have the experience and avalanche awareness required or are plain unable to do it in this time frame, so I am asking here.

In terms of experience, I have been snowboarding for 10 seasons, splitboarding for 2, this would be the third. I consider myself experienced snowboarder. I have gone through several avalanche courses, know my way with my beacon and have an ABS pack.
As mentioned I am split boarder, so I am touring/skinning.

I am looking for somebody with similar abilities, who is comfortable with high altitude backcountry terrain and is fit. At least couple of season experience in off piste and non-lift serviced areas; probe, beacon and shovel is a must, as is the experience with using them. Touring gear and experience is a plus.
I really don't mind if I ride with skiers or snowboarders

I want to be as cheap as possible. The day ticket for the Gondola is ~£18, which is more than fine, but most of the hotels are getting more and more expensive, as the place explodes in popularity and are now £100-120+ per night for a double room, which I find crazy for India. I am looking at the other options now, although there is not much info online.
I really don't have the money for the organised guided trips, that several companies are offering there, as I have several other big non-snow related expenses in the coming months Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello there mate!

I am also thinking of heading over there this winter and looking for some touring/skinning buddies. At this stage looking at end of Jan/feb and a very big budget.
I take it you have been there before? or you have just done lots of research.
I've ridden all around the world as well as worked in Canada/France/Japan.

Give us a message! jason.maxted1@gmail.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Might be possible, although that's probably a bit early for my next trip to India (I have a team in Bangalore). However, let me know as you hammer out timing?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cr@p, I should have checked this more often... I will contact you guys.
If somebody may consider this, London - Delhi return is ~£370-380 for the end of Jan. I will be getting my ticket in 4-5 days for the entire February.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't forget to pack the Imodium, you are likely to need it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I already have 3 packs of Imodiums from different concerned friends Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Juddernaut, moridinbg, I ate everything and drank the tap water for 2 weeks last year and hardly even farted. If I was to go again I would go in late Jan as it is colder and much less crowded. i went with Ski Himalaya http://www.skihimalaya.com/index.php who are really good VFM and great guys. The guiding worked out at less than £35/day and included all the jeep pick ups. frankly I think you will miss the best the place has to offer without them + risking your neck in a place where there is no rescue service - a broken leg is potentially life threatening. I would spend the money on the guide and go for less time. Whatever it's a great adventure -have fun.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BertieG, Your experience is very, very, very rare. Even the Indians don't drink the tap wate and most people come down with something and quite often it is something serious. I nearly died there but I am soft. Nor is the India the place to sustain an injury or get sick, as their hospitals are "interesting". Each to their own though and I am sure moridinbg will do fine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Juddernaut, Gulmarg has it's own water supply fresh off the mountains. Just to be clear I wouldn't drink tap water anywhere else in India. Interestingly crossing the Channel often has an adverse effect on me! (Sorry straying off topic)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am staying with http://kashmiralpine.com who are also guiding, so this is covered. Finally booked with Qatar Airways from London from January 29th till February 28th.
Also got one of this by absolute chance for 30 quid, brand new - http://www.lifesaversystems.com/lifesaver-products/lifesaver-bottle But I don't really think it will come down to this.

Aaand a screenshot from Google Earth with most of the names I could gather from several maps. The people who have been there may chime in with some advice (: (it's a clickable link to the original image)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy