Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

18 year old BASI 2-advice on getting an instructor job

Poster: A snowHead
My stepson gained his level 2 instructor qualification in NZ over the summer. He is still only 18. He would love to actually get a job as an instructor and he would be good at it too (it's not just a gap year thing-he's not off to University). I know he made a few applications while he was in NZ, but they came to nothing. I guess his age probably counts against him and there may have been more chance if he had done the course with a European based ski school that actually has instructor jobs for the winter season to follow.

I was just wondering if any snowheads had experience of getting work as a newly qualified instructor, or had lessons, or whose kids have had lessons from such a youthful instructor and if so where.
Ta v much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Getting a mountain job will be tricky - Switzerland is the only Alpine country which is more or less straight-forward for BASI 2's to work full seasons. Nevertheless, it's worth applying to as many Swiss (British) ski schools as possible.

I would suggest, given his age, that he do some slalom training and try to pass the French "Test Technique" (slalom race). This would mean being able to get work pretty easily in France as a "stagiaire" (trainee) and then continue his training in France towards becoming a fully-certified instructor.

Otherwise, get involved with the local dryslope / snowdome, try to pick up as much instructing work as possible to gain experience while continuing to work towards level 3 and level 4.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've worked with younger instructors in Austrian ski schools. Only last year a 19 year old friend of mine was employed by a decent ski school for the whole season. He had a L2 but in order to work had to do the basic level Austrian instructor exam called the Anwärter too. It is straightforward but does require some German language skills. I'm not sure whether you can work in Austria without this exam though? There are quite a few Austrian ski schools recruiting at the moment for instructors with this level of qualification. If he doesn't speak any German then others on here might know of some options of training and getting the qualification with some language coaching as part of a training program.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would also say try Austria. Some schools might ask for the Anwärter too, but others will take him with his L2. His age should not be a problem. German language skills would obviously help. Look at the TO brochures and websites and target the resorts they cover (e.g. Zell am See, Bad Gastein, Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Elmau/Scheffau/Soll, Westendorf/Brixen etc). Send emails or make a phone call - look on the Tourist Office websites for ski school addresses and phone numbers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have "heard" of people working without the Anwärter but don't know anyone who actually has. My own personal experience has been that it's been required for the schools I've worked for. As quinton suggests, I'd approach some ski schools in areas popular with the Brits and see what they say. If they come back asking for the Anwärter then a few other SnowHeads have done it, and there is some information here on the forum and links to other sources. If they take him without it then great!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Andorra could be another option. I know of at least one school over there was looking for Grade 2's. It used to be the case that you needed an extra training module to make up the hours to comply with local regs but I don't think it was arduous.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Takes a bit of initial outlay, but there are probably still schools in Japan hiring, and you can easily get a working holiday visa.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Both my youths got their BASI 2 when they were still at school and got full season instructor jobs in Verbier diring their gap years.
They had to really work hard to get those, lots of emails, calls....really working all available contacts hard.

It should not be difficult to get part time work (ie peak season), but in both their cases they were the youngest full timers by some considerable margin. Both were offered follow up seasons.

There are plenty of part time opportunities in Niseko still being emailed around, fat chance of a full time. The Lad did manage to get a full time instructor job there for this winter but it was not simple and the work permit requires some finessing too.

I'd say go for a part time job, suppliment that with other work, build contacts and if that is the route he really wants to follow then the season after he will be in a much better position.

There are just so many BASI 2s coming off gap Year course who will take any job....it makes for an oversupplied marketplace given the relativly few places that can offer a job (due to country specific regulations).

the Test Technique idea is a really good one!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. (Tho he will probably think I'm interfering Madeye-Smiley !). I am sure he had lots of advice on his course so maybe he's heard it all before. I do think the idea of the test technique is a really good one, and maybe Andorra. It's hard at his age, needing to find something that will give him some income, and also trying to work out what you want to do in life, even if it's just for the next couple of years. I remind myself that actually he is someone who tends to land on his feet, and he is very personable, so once he's got his toe in the door, he'll take off for sure.
Keep the ideas coming though!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 to Japan.

If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Which, unortunately, is not the case with some countries.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perty, has he considered Whistler? They hire young instructors and they tend to work in the kids programme. How would your stepson feel about teaching children?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whistler is very difficult to get into generally. Other Canadian areas are less difficult. Some areas will only take Level 3 and above from overseas e.g. Su Peaks and very few will sponsor visas so you'd have to get a visa beforehand. Expect to be teaching kids by and large in your first season, it's part of the apprenticeship.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My daughter's instructor, last season in Whistler, was an English lad of about 19, I think, and had his BASI level 2.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most of the big Canadian resorts probably wouldnt sponsor a visa for someone without any teaching experience/ having previously worked for them. I know that Whistler/Blackcomb ask for a minimum of two full time seasons and CSIA level 2 or equivalent.in their instructors. There are ways of working for them though through different organisations that are listed on their website (i think) these ones are pretty kid-teaching centred, and they will require a working holiday visa in advance.
Getting the International Experience Canada visa is a very do-able process for 18-30 year old Brits, just have to make sure you've got all the forms filled out etc. (people start keeping an eye out for when the applications open around christmas time) Although last years system became a bit of a lottery with it seeming to come down to who could click the submit buttons fast enough as there are only 5000 or so visas for the whole of the UK.
I know of people who have worked at other resorts in Canada that have gone out, taken their CSIA level 1, (although with a basi 2, this step could mostly likely be eliminated) then happened into full time teaching jobs for the season. So it is possible, but it does require the IEC visa, of which there are none left for this season. Maybe next year?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Be warned though, Test Technique is HARD.

I know 2 local guys here (twins) who are both the kind of skiers that you watch from the chairlift with your jaw hanging open (and this is someone on his seventh season talking). They haven't done as much junior ski racing as the local Frenchies though (they're Brits by origin). Both failed the TT on the first attempt, one passed it second time, other one is still trying.

Turning up and giving it a go is not going to work - proper slalom (not GS) training and race practice is essential.
latest report
If he's British there's no working holiday visa for Japan unfortunately.

I think the key is to apply to small ski areas - in New Zealand for example a friend of mine new the head of a ski school in a small area that was crying out for instructors. But most people just apply to Queenstown / Wanaka resorts as that's where they'd most like to live.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
If he's British there's no working holiday visa for Japan unfortunately.

Er... Wrong. http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/visa/working-holiday.html

I'm British. I've got a Working Holiday Visa for Japan. I'm going out next month for a season-long instructing job.
snow report
beanie1, as thedrewski says.

The UK gets an allocation of these, they never use them all up.

NB It is a once-in-a-lifetime visa...ie you only get it once
ski holidays
thedrewski, where (& who) are you working for?

The Lad is going to Niseko for Pro Powder
latest report
rungsp, Niseko, with Niseko Village Ski School.
ski holidays
Just got an email from my boss saying some instructors have dropped out, so we (Niseko Base Snowsports) will be recruiting again this week, not sure if full time positions or not, but I'd guess so.

I really like working for them and have done for 5 seasons, so can recommend it, plus if he worked for us he'd get good contacts for other seasons, and even get to be trained by me (and Aussie and Austrian demo teamers) Wink
ski holidays
I worked for Fuerstauer Ski School in Saalbach (who also had two BASI 2s working for them the last couple of seasons, I *think* without the anwaerter) and the Arlberg Ski School in St Anton when I was 19, no problem with the age. Just had an email from Fuerstauer saying they're looking for instructors, so definitely worth speaking to them. Relatively small, family-run ski school, nice to work for and decent accommodation provided.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
I worked for Fuerstauer Ski School in Saalbach (who also had two BASI 2s working for them the last couple of seasons, I *think* without the anwaerter) and the Arlberg Ski School in St Anton when I was 19, no problem with the age. Just had an email from Fuerstauer saying they're looking for instructors, so definitely worth speaking to them. Relatively small, family-run ski school, nice to work for and decent accommodation provided.

They'd presumably require you to have a decent standard of spoken German though, no? I looked into working in Austria this year (before Japan came about) but had to say no to a few offers on the language basis.
ski holidays
thedrewski, I didn't then, really. Learnt the phrases from the Austrian instructor handbook thing, and could order food/etc, but that was about it. Bad enough that I failed the written (in German) component of the Anwaerter the first time, and in the retake the trainer/examiner actually helped translate questions/answers for me. I taught mainly British/Scandinavian/South African guests, plenty of Dutch and a few Brazilians/Russians. Pretty much all in English. Only ever taught two Germans, by then my German was a bit better though. All my dealings with both ski schools were in English.
snow report
I have done 5 seasons working occasionally with a ski school close to Kitzbuhel. I have a BASI 2 qualification. There has never been a need to get an Austrian qualification. However the amount of work I get is purely down to my language skills. I speak very little German. Unfortunately for me, languages are far more important than any skiing skills or qualifications.

The ski school employ many dutch students, some of whom on arrival have no ski qualifications. The ski school train them to a basic Austrian qualification. The one skill they do have is in addition to their own language (Dutch), they all speak perfect English and German.

I can't emphasize enough for most commercial ski schools, language skills are the top priority.
snow conditions
which school have u worked at
snow report
The boy has gone and landed a job in Japan! [ahem...note however..a working holiday visa in Japan apparently means you happen to arrive "on holiday" and hope to pick up casual work, so technically he hasn't really got a job at all]. Will be in Hakuba...maintaining anonymity is probably best from hereon in given the visa situation. Hakuba is a big area and he will be at the main base where the 1998 Olympic downhill took place. Snow fall still awesome by European standards.
Am very jealous!
snow conditions
Surprised nobody has mentioned Scotland... I worked my first 3 winters at Nevis Range & had a great time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agreed that Language skill are most important in getting a job on Europe. Then following the local "exams" so that you can work in a free employment area with his "internationally recognised" qualifications Shocked

Has he looked at Interski as they work in Italy a lot with british school kids and seem to employ Brits. Maybe a little late now though. +1 for trying Japan.

My daughter went through the Canadian system as she has no language skills at all. It was hell getting the VISA this year and then not easy getting a job at all a L2 is minimum and they want CSIA not BASI over there. However, as another post pointed out she made a nuisance of herself and finally got the job she wanted at Whistler - mountain opens next week (hopefully) Smile . They originally turned her down as they wanted 2 years experience teaching too. If you can speak Cantonese or Mandarin then you would be welcomed.

If he wants to go out side Europe he needs to get a VISA first as no one will be interested until that hurdle is covered.

BIG NOTE - Canada is not a place to go if you are 18 as you can't even go in a bar so get left out of nights out.
snow report
Yodude3, your gaffa needs to be pretty careful!

Each instructor must carry their valid (refreshed every 3 years) certificate/id card with them.
If stopped and asked to produce one and you can't (even left it at home) you must leave the mountain.

The ski school's books can be inspected at any time and must tally with the ski pass numbers of the teachers.
They can take away your personal lift pass if they think that you are teaching without a cert and will cross reference all your lift times with others before and after you on a lift... proving/suggesting you are teaching.

I would be very surprised if the Dutch kids haven't done an Anwaerter somewhere and have been 'sponsored' by the school.

So... where is BASI L2 'officially' recognised as a valid qualification to teach beginners on snow?
ski holidays
OP, just to add to the already sound advice you've given. The weeks are filling up now but Interski could be an option to get some experience on the CV. I think they're still limited to 4 weeks per season but worth checking-based out in the Aosta valley in one of a few resorts.

A good mate of mine went out to Japan a few years ago, based in Rusutsu. Never struggled to get fulltime work and wages seem very good. He's made a good career out there, skiing in the winter and got into promoting the resort and web design in the summer. Drop me a PM and I can put you in touch with him or get his opinion.
ski holidays
Perty, I'll be heading out to Hakuba for half term week with my 16 year old and definitely looking for some powder lessosn and off piste guiding. If you want to PM me details it might work out to book some through his school.
latest report
offpisteskiing wrote:
Surprised nobody has mentioned Scotland... I worked my first 3 winters at Nevis Range & had a great time.

Language barrier would still be a big problem for most wink
latest report
flangesax wrote:
Yodude3, your gaffa needs to be pretty careful!

Each instructor must carry their valid (refreshed every 3 years) certificate/id card with them.
If stopped and asked to produce one and you can't (even left it at home) you must leave the mountain.

The ski school's books can be inspected at any time and must tally with the ski pass numbers of the teachers.
They can take away your personal lift pass if they think that you are teaching without a cert and will cross reference all your lift times with others before and after you on a lift... proving/suggesting you are teaching.

I would be very surprised if the Dutch kids haven't done an Anwaerter somewhere and have been 'sponsored' by the school.

So... where is BASI L2 'officially' recognised as a valid qualification to teach beginners on snow?

That was the reasoning behind my question. My son worked in the main ski school last winter in kirchberg and no way would they allow anyone to teach without their Antwarter.
There were Dutch instructors who had done their Antwarter but were still considered not good enough to teach adults and were left with really child minding duties to the little ones.

One good thing was he got paid whether he was teaching or not. I know one of the ski schools in Kitzbuhel only get paid on the days when your actually working. Admitedly they only pay for their accommodation on the days they work also
snow conditions
jafa, normally you get a small retainer if there's no work. Can't remember how much it was in Saalbach (I rarely had no work), but in St Anton it was ~€300 (- €90 for accommodation).
snow report
I used to get phone calls from him winging as he had no work some days. This year by all accounts was the worst they have had in terms of numbers through the door. But he still got his full pay at the end of the month and even a bonus at the end of it.
snow conditions
Just in case this may of interest to those looking for jobs this season, this was on a FB share from 'Perisher Jobs' from two friends yesterday:

Quote:
Hi all,
We have been contacted by ClubMed in Japan who are seeking Ski Instructors to join them at Sahoro for the season.
Any Ski Instructors with their level 2 (or even level 1) who have had previous experience are encouraged to apply. You will need to be aged between 18 and 30 to be eligible to apply for a Japanese WHV in order to be considered for this role. If you have had a Japanese WHV previously, you will unfortunately not be eligible to apply for this particular role.
To apply, contact Valentine Biemans via email Valentine.Biemans@clubmed.com
Good luck to anyone who takes up this opportunity to apply!
Regards,
Perisher Human Resources Team
snow conditions
morningglory wrote:
Perty, I'll be heading out to Hakuba for half term week with my 16 year old and definitely looking for some powder lessosn and off piste guiding. If you want to PM me details it might work out to book some through his school.

He will be based with this lot http://www.evergreen-hakuba.com at Hakuba-one
(Not that he will be doing the off piste stuff at his level, but I gather he gets a good deal on joining the off piste trips if he has nothing else on)
ski holidays
Go on the dole, claim money, have a kid if your a bird and then get your mum to look after it while you go skiing spending the child support income! No job just ski all the time. Then come back every few weeks, Simples!! Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy