Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who knows about Chinaillon/Le Grand Bornand?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’m looking at Chinaillon/Le Grand Bornand in late January for a group of eight mixed ability skiers/boarders and a non-skier.
I’ve searched snowHead but there’s little recent commentary and Google just gives the commercial view.
Does anyone have recent (last season) information?
What is there to do for a non-skier?
How fast and frequent are the navettes between the ski areas?
What’s the après like?
Is there a recommended supermarket (We’ll be self-catering)?
Any update would be appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Le Grand Bornand is a very pretty, smallish, traditional village - and Le Chinaillon about 6 km higher up the valley is a satellite where there's a small commercial centre (shops on either side of the main road - no real "village centre) + individual chalets and various residences with apartments.
The advantage of staying in Le Chinaillon is is quicker access to the slopes/lifts and the major part of the ski area - the disadvantage is that there is very little in the way of nightlife. Just 3 or 4 bars and some restaurants also have a bar.

There's a shuttle service during the day between Le Grand Bornand and Chinaillon - every 30 minutes until about 19.00 - after that you need to use taxis as there is only a night shuttle service on Friday night (twice in each direction around 22.00 and 23.00)

The one night club is in Le Grand Bornand about a 7 minute walk from the centre.

For the non-skier there's not much in the way of life during the day in Le Chinailllon - Le Grand Bornand will have more atmosphere.
Day time activities for the non skier are walking or snow-shoeing or cross-country skiing

The slopes suit a mixed group of beginners/intermediates but not so good for advanced - and overall it's more suited to families rather than groups of individuals looking for a lively atmosphere.

Close to Geneva - much better resorts for a non-skier would Morzine/Avoriaz or Megeve and they would also suit mixed ability group of skiers and boarders and have a much larger ski/board area

If you want ski-in ski-out self-catering go to Avoriaz - which has an indoor jungle-themed water & spa park, an outdoor ice rink + various snow based day time activities & being linked to Morzine the non-skier can also go there during the day. Nightlife is OK in Avoriaz (probably better than Grand Bornand) but there's a lot more choice for nightlife in Morzine or Megeve. (By the way - some apartments in Avoriaz can be a bit tight on space so choose one based on the number of bedrooms rather than just the number of people it theoretically sleeps, if you want a reasonable level of comfort)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In terms of supermarket for a week self catering if you have a car there's an Intermarche Super on the main road Villards-sur-Thones -- about 10 mins down the valley from Grand Bornand (summer driving speeds).

There are plenty of supermarket adverts on the side of the road from Annecy trying to get you to drive on to more expensive supermarkets up in the resorts or direct you to less convenient ones in town centres.

There is supermarket in each of Chinaillon and Grand Bornand but they're small and priced as you would expect.

I didn't use it, but others in the group I was with found public transport for days out in Annecy surprisingly easy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tafflondon,

Le Grand Bornand is also linked by ski bus to La Clusaz if additional skiing is required. The area around La Balme is good for experienced skiers. Takes about half an hour on the bus and about ten/fifteen minutes by car from LGB. Add on a bit if you are coming down the mountain from Chinaillon. As previously mentioned there may be limited on piste challenges for advanced skiers at LGB although we always seem to be able to find new off piste experiences each year. There is also a challenging free ride zone.
For boarders there are a couple of flat areas to be aware of but the snow park is reputedly pretty good and last year they had one of those air bag things for anyone that way inclined - I have no idea if it will be there again this year. I expect you have already looked but the website www.legrandbornand.com is a good source of information.

As simplysnow, said, not really a resort for those who want to party the night away although our kids and their buddies have had some memorable nights at the Green Monkey in Le Chinaillon (which is where we are based). There is a skating rink in Le Grand Bornand and I believe the tour of the cheese making farm is interesting (but I suspect you would have to understand quite a bit of French) and the Maison de Patrimoine is worth a visit for your non-skier.

For 'apres' La Floria bar (unsurprisingly at the base of La Floria lift!) is where the instructors, pisteurs and lifties tend to hang out after the lifts shut and there are also a couple of bars on the green run home.

We've had mixed ability groups a few times, including complete beginners and it has worked in terms of the skiing. On nights in we are also quite good at making our own entertainment of an evening.

Hope that helps
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the information.
It sounds as if the Chinaillon slopes should be OK for the beginners but the others would probably want to venture further afield.
We're not hot on Apres but it's good to know there are some options.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy