Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easy off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

Last year we (a group of around 8 of mixed ability) went to Verbier and found some really nice areas off-piste around the Savoleyres lift that weren't too extreme. We were all happy to find our own way through short off-piste sections, with most of the skiers being inters on piste but novices off piste. Plus it was never too far from a piste so that the part of the group that wasn't confident enough to try the off-piste could hang around on the same part of the mountain. Happy Days and great fun!

But I've skied 16 resorts over the years and have never found anything similar. Is easy off-piste rare in the Alps/Europe or are there other resorts we might want to consider for some novice off-piste confidence building?

Cheers in advance

Bill
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bill,

I'm slightly surprised. I don'tthinkI can think of anywhere wherethere isn't easily accessible side-poste to ski. That said,much depends on conditions... And how good you are at finding it...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which 16 resorts ? Sounds a bit trolly tbh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
Bill,

I'm slightly surprised. I don'tthinkI can think of anywhere wherethere isn't easily accessible side-poste to ski. That said,much depends on conditions... And how good you are at finding it...

Sounds like somebody might have one shandy too many
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't get it either. Just about every resort (trying to think of an exception) has easy side-piste options, even St Anton
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
charlie.wilkinson, not so much but ipad typing in bed is less accurate than I'd like...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry this is not a troll. As others have pointed out there are side piste bits and pieces at most resorts but the bit we found at Verbier was more extensive than side piste but not full on of piste. And it wasn't just me that commented that it was unusual, hence the post. Sorry for the poor description, I'll get me coat.

Bill
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bill,

Welcome to snowheads snowHead . Maybe you caught us in some sort of communal grump. We're not normally like this (well depends who is online).

Hopefully you'll get some more positive reponses later in the day
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My favorite for accessible off piste is Baqueira in the Pyrenees. Supposedly ran on US lines where everything inbounds is avy controlled plus relatively affordable heli skiing. I've a trip report on here somewhere.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bunter1815, Theres lots of similar off piste in La Plagne BUT some of it covers the old mine workings, so full of deep holes (the area was heavily surface mined for lead and silver years ago).

ALWAYS get advice locally!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dsoutar wrote:
Bill,

Welcome to snowheads snowHead . Maybe you caught us in some sort of communal grump. We're not normally like this (well depends who is online).

Hopefully you'll get some more positive reponses later in the day

No worries if people weren't familiar with where I was talking about these misunderstandings happen.

Bill
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sonnenkopf in Austria springs to mind some nice bits of easy access off piste that is good for beginners. Likewise other parts of the Arlberg, Zürs for instance I've done a few little bits in between pistes when just starting off piste. Wherever you are tho, does help to have local knowledge and if there is a group of you, no harm in clubbing together to get a guide, it's just a case of knowing where the bits are.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bunter1815, can recommend huge areas of Vallandry and above Arc 1800 where there are countless areas which are between Pistes - take the kids off their every year while Mrs B and others watch from piste. These are fun and challenging for beginner to intermediate IMHO.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The problem with nice piste side offpiste in bigger resorts is that it gets skied pretty quickly. We've had great days in Avoriaz skiing easy offpiste all day, same goes for Flaine. Also a lot of nice stuff in Courchevel 1650 and from 1650 over to 1850. You still need to be careful though, just because it's near a piste it doesn't always mean it's safe.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sticking with Verbier there is loads of easy stuff around the Lac de Vaux bowl area as well, alongside the pisted area. When I went on a Warren Smith course last year we started in these areas before moving onto the trickier runs such as Tortin, Gentianes and Mt Gele (which after the excellent training were great fun too and has really added an extra dimension to my enjoyment of skiing).

Otherwise there is quite a bit of easy off piste in Les Contamines to play with as well, but I'm sure I'll discover lots of other places now that I'm more confident to explore such areas myself.
latest report
Bunter1815, Bill, sorry I wasn't more helpful to begin with.

My suspicions are that you may simply have been lucky with conditions making the off piste that you could see more attractive and b. Verbier (although it is not so very unusual in this regard) has a topography that lends itself to finding good stuff. That's probably why it has a good reputation for it Razz

What sort of snow were you skiing? (hard soft, depth. etc?)

I still find it an odd question as I really can't think of many places where this isn't possible. That said, particular favourites can be found all around the Chamonix valley (many that don't need guides, but many that do), all over the PDS, throughout the Grand Massif, Flaine bowl in particular, etc. Can't say I'm too enamoured with Cervinia however.

North American resorts, e.g. almost anywhere in Utah for example are generally better for "controlled" off piste.
latest report
Bunter1815, by "happy to find our own way through short off-piste sections" you mean without a guide, appropriate equipment or experience to do so safely?

I would go to Andorra. There were lots of people doing exactly that when we were there. What you need is to go to almost any resort and just hire a guide, who will show you a whole raft of easy off piste routes that you can enjoy.

Alternatively you need to find somewhere that controls all the off piste areas in the resort and makes them as safe as possible. I am not aware of a place like that in Europe.
ski holidays
I should mention Fieberbrunn. There is easy(ish) off-piste both sides of the Hochhörndl/Reckmoos Süd piste, steeper stuff down from the Lärchfilzkogel (as well as the serious stuff over by the Wildseeloder). Less skied is the track down from the Wildalpgatterl to the Gatterl tow (3A on the piste plan). Looking at the piste plan, I see I've forgotten the extensive area near the Lärchfilzen chairlift (1A) and the unprepared route from the Lärchfilzkogel to the Wildalpgatterl (4 - haven't skied that for a long time).

Here's a photo of the Hochhörndl...
snow conditions
Hi - following a decent dump you should be able to find off-piste areas to ski in most resorts by the side of the piste

I think the reason why you haven’t seen much before is probably coz you were not looking for it in previous years - the side off-piste areas get skied out quite quickly so don’t look very off-piste for long

As you gain confidence you will be tempted to go a little bit further but people get caught out in areas very visible to the piste

If there are a few of you at a similar standard go into the local ski school and ask for a private instructor and tell them what you want to do otherwise there are plenty of courses aimed at off-piste

Also you could look for itinerary routes in resorts which are detailed on the piste maps - have fun snowHead
snow report
+i for what Boris, says esp above Vallandry - you can do as much or little as you want , it is safe and fun. Remember group of us whooping with enjoyment as we skied off piste- some for first time - in superb powder.
ski holidays
I would recommend Serre Chevalier. We went once when the snow was crap but there was so much easy off piste to see, I would like to go back with better snow
snow conditions
Mistress Panda wrote:
Bunter1815, by "happy to find our own way through short off-piste sections" you mean without a guide, appropriate equipment or experience to do so safely?

Yes - quite surprised there has not been more shock and horror.
snow report
Flaine springs to mind, loads of fabulous gentle off-piste. But there are holes everywhere as it is limestone with no draining river. But a guide will keep you away from the holes. Lots of steep stuff too. And best of all is Gers bowl, a 200m wide ungroomed but not too steep black piste which accumulates great powder. It is in the middle of a bowl and it seems to my amateur eyes to be quite safe to wander well off-piste and possible anywhere in the bowl (many seem to do this) but I stand open to correction.
snow conditions
Thanks very much for the tips and the positive suggestions they are greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bill
ski holidays
Try St Martin de Belleville- there is fab off piste from the top above the village - HUGE area of rolling summer pastures in the gap between the red runs Pramint and Jerusalem, and to other side of Jerusalem. Take a left off the St Martin2 chair at the top, and follow the signs for Jerusalem, then take your pick once you are on the track past the netting, turning down to the left.
Fab. Last season with good fresh snow, it was blooming marvellous and we kept doing circuit after circuit. All gentle enough for amateurs (as confirmed by our off piste instructor last year-nil avalanche territory). I see for this coming season's piste map they are even marking some of it as a free ski area. Shame really. IT'S MY SNOW AND NO-ONE ELSE IS ALLOWED ON IT! Laughing . I'll try and dig out some pics, but I'm not sure how to post them.....back in a tic!
P.s. I agree re Flaine, but the holes are really tricky and it gets skied out very quickly. Gers bowl is also fab, but I do think people are sometimes a little reckless, it is steep and I have seen some huge avalanches there. They don't tend to open the lifts there until about mid Jan in my experience. Great restaurant -the Auberge along a track at the bottom.
snow conditions
peanuthead, Gers bowl is good but has a bit of a history of avalanches I think, so take care...
ski holidays
ed123, Perty, whoa- thanks for warning re Gers bowl, though it looks so tempting. Good thing I did boring thing and stayed inside piste markers (for the most part anyway) when I was there.
ski holidays
I can't think of many places which don't, tbh. Kuhtai has LOADS of easy stuff in between pistes (prolly 'cus they haven't carved pistes into every possible metre of slope like some places), all pretty save from avalanches, and seems to remain untracked for a lot longer than usual. Downside is you'll only get 500m or so of vert, unless you hike. Quite a lot like some Scottish resorts in that regard, just higher.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy