Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in Chamonix, Do we need snow tyres?

Poster: A snowHead
I am spending the season in Chamonix this winter and undecided whether I should go for a set of winter tyres for the season, I have heard that they are compulsory if we want to drive from Chamonix over to Switzerland past Vallorcine. last season we bought some mitchelin easy grip chains which are very easy to use opposed to the conventional snow chains. Also my car has not long had 4 bran new tyres anyway so have got plenty of tred on them!

Can anyone give me any advice??

Confused Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends if you're happy to use public transport or put chains on whenever its snowy, and are confident you'll never have an accident in Switzerland... Gets tiresome pretty fast I'd imagine.

I've seen 4x4s (usually brits) stuck on the main road up to Argentiere from Chamonix trying to do it on summer tyres. Tread depth doesn't make much difference vs tread pattern.

If it were me, I'd definitely get some, but that's my own blend of risk appetite and cost insensitivity.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah you'll want snow tyres really. You can rely on the bus or train but really if your going up GM you'll need snow tyres to get up there quite a lot, and if you keep going over the col montets into switzerland you will need them for sure.

best bet will be to buy them and get them fitted before you come out. buying and fitting in cham is expensive and can be quite difficult and relying on chains in a right pain the ar$e!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Need, no.

If your car is otherwise legal in the country within which it's registered then you are OK to drive in Switzlerland.

Desirable, yes.

It will save you from needing to put chains on/off as much but doesn't mean you won't need to put them on possible and will legally still need to be carried.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Winter tyres would be strongly recommended.

If you're there for the season you'll no doubt be driving to the different ski areas - especially for e.g. Argentiere the roads are small and not always very clear. And you really wont want to waste skiing time fiddling with chains Smile

I was out there a fair bit last year in various cars, and will hopefully have my own car with me there this season - we always had winter tyres last year (never felt the need for chains) and I wouldn't even contemplate not having them this season.

Just my 2p!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okie doke i think thats a pretty much a landslide response! aha, ok now second question, is there any brand that are better than others or would just the 'cheapest/budget' trye do the job?? It wasnt an expense I had factored in particularly!! :\
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My snow tyres have been amazing and I'd not go without them, they've made my snow chains pretty redundant.

I got winter tyres from kwik fit and they have a tyre store. I paid something like £15 a tyre for the winter and had them put back onto my car after I got back. Have done this a few seasons now and will be getting my winter tyres back in the next month.

Has worked out much cheaper in the long run than getting new tyres and/or new rims and beats having to store spare tyres myself.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ben_turner2102 wrote:
Okie doke i think thats a pretty much a landslide response! aha, ok now second question, is there any brand that are better than others or would just the 'cheapest/budget' trye do the job?? It wasnt an expense I had factored in particularly!! :\

depends on your car. If driving purely in mountains 'snow/ice' tyre category would be best bet. If you drive highways to and from the UK - then a normal 'winter' tyre do the job. Look for ones that have montain and snowflake sign on the side. the big german company that is also operating in the UK is http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

If you tell me what your car is, I can give you a more specific advice. Otherwise german ADAC has good recomedations on their website.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"If your car is otherwise legal in the country within which it's registered then you are OK to drive in Switzlerland."

Not true - same as to say - the speed limit in my country is 200, so I do the same in CH ...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mooney058 wrote:
"If your car is otherwise legal in the country within which it's registered then you are OK to drive in Switzlerland."

Not true - same as to say - the speed limit in my country is 200, so I do the same in CH ...

No it's not the same at all...... You have to comply with their highway code (which sets speed limits etc etc) but in terms of the legality of driving your car in another country my point remains true.

But also to pick you up on your point if you were to drive at 200mph in Switzerland would it have any effect on your UK Drivers license? Errrrr no!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also, don't confuse winter tyres and snow-tyres. Even appropriate winter tyres will make a difference over summer tyres. Full on snow tyres may not be needed, but carry some chains.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marcellus, is Switzerland a specific case? You'll have problems if you drive with your UK-legal summer tyres in Austria during the winter anyway.

ben_turner2102, driving in snow on summer tyres sucks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mooney058 wrote:

I cant think why you couldnt drive a UK compliant car in switzerland? not unless your just refering to a vignette?!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Short answer, yes.
Long answer, depends where you live and if you always want to use your car for getting around. Having a car in Cham is a real plus, there will be many days when without snow tyres you won't be be able use it.
latest report
The difference is huge and makes driving so much easier, I say a resounding yes. You will not regret it.
snow conditions
eddiethebus wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

I cant think why you couldnt drive a UK compliant car in switzerland? not unless your just refering to a vignette?!

because CH is not UK and it sets its own rules and regulations. winter tyres are not for fun or 'just in case' - driving with summer tyres on a snowy road is dangerious - very much so. thus authorities make rule to protect its citizens and guests. There are references to fines and other possible consequences for driving in not properly equiped vehicles in CH. UK is not 'the whole world' wink
snow report
If you have to ask the question, are you really prepared for the winter?
ski holidays
Quote:

If your car is otherwise legal in the country within which it's registered then you are OK to drive in Switzlerland.

I dont know about Switzerland, but this is not true, if I go to Sweden I must drive with winter tyres from 1 dec to 1 April, its dosnt matter if its okey for me to drive in France without, but to answer the question in the thread, if you want to use the car during the season its stupid to not use winter tyres,, if you think its expensive and not buy to save money, you have not money to stay a season in Chamonix
snow conditions
Here's a link to the latest, laws, there have been some changes;

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

To sumamrise countries mentioned;
> France - Not a legal requirement
> Austria - Legal requirement for all vehicles (foreign and domestic registered)
> Switzerland - Not a Legal requirement
> Sweden - Legal requirement for all vehicles (foreign and domestic registered)
snow report
ben_turner2102, No question. Winter tyres
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:

> Austria - Legal requirement for all vehicles (foreign and domestic registered)
> Sweden - Legal requirement for all vehicles (foreign and domestioc registered)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 17-10-13 8:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Winter tyres every time time. Last winter I had to put my chains on only once and I live up a steep hill out of the village.
snow report
mooney058 wrote:
marcellus wrote:

> Sweden - Legal requirement for all vehicles (foreign and domestic registered)

a very good link and summary. But folks should also read the small print. Not only you could be fined in CH for driving in a car not suitable for the conditions, you could also be prevented from traveling further untill conditions permit
latest report
ben_turner2102, if you can read German or French and depending if you want to pay for the report the Swiss, German and Austrian motoring organisations publish reviews every year. Not all snow tyres are the same!! And it's well worth paying for better ones in some tests the crap ones are no better than summer tyres in some circumstances. Generally althought not always the better brands are better.

See also SH tyremen's site http://wintertyrereviews.co.uk/ and his posts on here.
snow report
WOW lots to take in here!, Well I have booked my car in to get some fitted before we go! thanks, better to be safe than sorry in this instance it seems!.

cheers
snow report
ben_turner2102, good decision!! Have a great season! Smile
snow report
dont worry about spending loads on expensive snow tyres in cham, most of the roads here are pretty flat and are cleared reasonably quickly, were pretty low as well so snow days in town are a lot less than say tignes. We've had loads of different ones over the years and just about anything with a snow symbol will be fine.

do you know where your gona be living yet?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
freeheelskier wrote:
Quote:

I dont know about Switzerland, but this is not true

so you dont know...but yet you state its not true Puzzled
ski holidays
eddiethebus, Hmmm. I think I partially disagree. Until our most recent car I'd have agreed and said that more or less anything was good. But the comparative performance on our last car (Dunlop) and more or less the same current car (Bridgestone) is wildly different. To the point that I would almost consider junking the Bridgestones...

And our apartment is up at Brevent so our roads are most definitely not flat!

Edit: I would acknowledge that there have been different municipal salting strategies in place in recent seasons which would cloud my perception a little.
snow report
Tread depth also makers a massive difference, at the start for the season with new tyres we found cars and buses were very firmly stuck to the road and could cope with a lot of snow... roll on 5 months towards the end of the season (10,000kms later) and whilst tyres still legal could cope with barely a light dusting!
latest report
Quote:

10,000kms

Shocked

Wow - I leave my Winter Tyres on all year and even with over 15,000 miles on them they got me through all the snow last winter in UK and in the Alps for my trips

I'd be changing makes if my tyres could only cope with 6000miles
latest report
Boris, You are driving your own vehicle and are responsible for replacing the tyres. Your also not a transfer driver. Also you are 4 wheel drive, not a van with permanent spinning fronts.
snow conditions
blahblahblah, what do transfer drivers do to tyres to make them wear out so quickly?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
eddiethebus, Hmmm. I think I partially disagree. Until our most recent car I'd have agreed and said that more or less anything was good. But the comparative performance on our last car (Dunlop) and more or less the same current car (Bridgestone) is wildly different. To the point that I would almost consider junking the Bridgestones...

And our apartment is up at Brevent so our roads are most definitely not flat!

Edit: I would acknowledge that there have been different municipal salting strategies in place in recent seasons which would cloud my perception a little.

haha yeah i did think about the hill up there, but most people walk it or get the bus. saying that I drive it every day in the winter season and havent had any problems.

maybe i should put a caveat and say that most roads in chamonix are flat wink certainly very few hairpins which are what normally catch you out Smile
ski holidays
blahblahblah, this was in SEAT Alhambra and before that VW Sharan but fail to see what that has to do with it, I would not be happy if tyres only lasted 6000miles particularly if I was replacing a lot of them.

With my kids in the back I am not going to run them beyond usable life, you can trust me on that
latest report
pam w wrote:
blahblahblah, what do transfer drivers do to tyres to make them wear out so quickly?

Winter tyres and to an extent summer tyres wear out from heat build up. The transfer vehicles spend time in the mountain in cold/ snow conditions which is fine and what they are designed for.The back and forward to Geneva in a heavy van with 9 passengers and luggage, usually as fast as the driver can go will increase wear, like wise braking , due to the masses and forces in play. The tyres get hot and the make up of winter tyres means they are more likely to wear in these circumstances.
The tyre is the only contact with the road and an aggressive driving style will increase wear. I have only experienced high speed transfer myself ( or static in traffic) and this will contribute.

So the contribution of heat, mass and the make up of the tyres. Winter tyres are a softer compound as well, which allows them to grip at low temperatures, which wears more quickly than a summer tyre.

Any tyre will wear out if used hard. I have got less than 5000 out of a set.
snow report
Boris wrote:
blahblahblah, this was in SEAT Alhambra and before that VW Sharan but fail to see what that has to do with it, I would not be happy if tyres only lasted 6000miles particularly if I was replacing a lot of them.

With my kids in the back I am not going to run them beyond usable life, you can trust me on that

I imagine you drive quite sensibly , especially with the kids in the back.
snow conditions
Boris, do you change them at the 4mm marker or the lower one at 1.6mm?
snow conditions
Quote:

I have got less than 5000 out of a set

Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy