Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you fall over??

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob, raises an interesting point. I very rarely fall. My only serious injury is a grade 2 calf tear, which I sustained after tagging some avalanche debris and being spun round. Stayed upright throughout but had I fallen I would probably have been ok. The error was in trying to hold the fall and it was instinctive. Half a mile on one ski back to the Sache piste was interesting - followed by a mild dose of shock and a ride in the wagon.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am not sure about the muscle memory idea. I rarely fall over and when I do its usually very immediate. My body is fairly fragile these days but I do not intend to change the way I ski. Trying that will just make a fall more likely.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
enduroaid wrote:
... So the question is how often to you fall / crash in a standard 1 week ski trip?

I don't ride park, only natural pipes, and lots of back country stuff. I snowboard.

I never fall when people are watching, and I'm always careful to brush all traces of snow off my gear if I do when they're not watching.

I don't fall on piste much at all unless conditions are unpredictable, or I'm trying something I'm not sure will work. Off piste some weeks I never fall, others I will make a mistake or two. I may well "crater" when landing things, but which I don't think is what you're looking for, but if you are, then you can increment my count a bit.

As far as "instinct" is concerned, I think before you get to the "I don't fall much" level you have to go through the "falling a lot" stage, so you have the skills to deal with it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mark1863 wrote:
I am not sure about the muscle memory idea.

Agreed because muscle memory pretty much lasts forever. I base that on 1. restarting cycling after a 20 year break 2. restarting windsurfing, also after a 20 year break.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I probably fall at least once a week usually in the most embarrassing crowd filled location possible. Such is the joy of pushing yourself.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Every time I come out of the Moris pub at the end of the night...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been skiing for more than 40 years now. Not many days go by when I don't fall. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dogwatch wrote:

Agreed because muscle memory pretty much lasts forever. I base that on 1. restarting cycling after a 20 year break 2. restarting windsurfing, also after a 20 year break.

Yep, had a polo lesson recently having not been on a horse in 25ish years, about 15 min a spectator opened a large and (to a polo pony) very scary brolly, most of the others in the lesson bolted for safety at the far end of the field, I kept mine from bolting and made her stay where she was (though she had managed to spin through 180 degrees) and was calming her down before I had time for any conscious thought about what needed to happen.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gorilla wrote:
fatbob, raises an interesting point. I very rarely fall. My only serious injury is a grade 2 calf tear, which I sustained after tagging some avalanche debris and being spun round. Stayed upright throughout but had I fallen I would probably have been ok. The error was in trying to hold the fall and it was instinctive. Half a mile on one ski back to the Sache piste was interesting - followed by a mild dose of shock and a ride in the wagon.

Know exactly what you mean about the trip back! Most of Demoiselles, the nasty green back down to L2A on one ski for me when I did the same in a silly low speed fall.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No more often than once a week - often not at all. I think its self preservation because I have never mastered, probably due to a lack of fitness, standing back up again with skis on (probably on only one occasion on a steeper slope without help Embarassed ). Instead I end up like a stranded beached whale with the ignominity of needing to take off a ski to stand up again. I don't think fear of hurting myself stops me falling, it's the pickle I have trying to get up again that puts me off the idea and so I try not to fall or get into a situation where I might. If I fell as often as some of you have admitted to, I would spend that much time lying on my tummy or back that I wouldn't make the first bar in time for lunch Laughing Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All the flippin time - usually doing nothing of note - standing in lift lines is a fave

Otherwise I like to take the kids off onto bits between pistes for variety and I will generally do my world famous "yard sale" crash at that point
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, it strikes me that you should have a specific lesson on how to get up. It sounds like it's holding you back big time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Usually a couple of times during a week's skiing holiday. Had a couple of very comedy fun falls in deep snow last time out in Austria. I'm not bothered about falling, getting snow in your pants is part of the fun!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, don't worry about it. It IS difficult to get up on the flat if you don't have good core strength - there's no ignominy in just clipping out of one of your skis. And as you have already discovered, the steeper the slope, the easier it is to get up - and the less you want to be clipping out of a ski, too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, pam w, I am in awe of the little kids and even our mate fC seems just to give push on the ground with his hand and he is standing again - mind you the guy is 10 times fitter than me!!
snow report
Megamum, I can't believe that a perceived lack of fitness is the whole issue. Maybe just practise getting up when you're relatively fresh?
snow report
I suppose I ought to answer the question; pretty rarely on piste - maybe once a week - I think I've got pretty good powers of recovery, even if I hit an unexpected lump at speed.

I might fall over three times a session if I'm doing lots of off piste that's a little bit out of my comfort zone, and I'm already tired. Equally, I might escape unscathed.
ski holidays
laundryman, the daft thing is that I understand the method of getting up - where the skis should be, where I should be pushing, but it just doesn't happen. Mind you I don't have overly strong arms to push with so perhaps that isn't helpful - I am also hopeless at getting out a swimming pool over the side of the pool for the same reason.
snow report
Quote:

I am also hopeless at getting out a swimming pool over the side of the pool for the same reason.

Shocked Megamum, you are a young woman! No excuse for that. Get doing some upper body work - push ups, for example! My upper body strength is not terrific, by a long chalk, but I can get out of a swimming pool, even in the deep end, and I'm an OAP. I was struggling a bit having to pull myself over the stern of a dinghy after a capsize recently - was a bit tired, and generally flopping around. Made me realise I needed to do a bit more work - it's strength, not fitness.

Or you could snowboard - getting up after a fall is a lot easier (onto the front edge at any rate) though you do fall a lot more. At least, I did.
snow report
pam w, Yup, totally agree, mind you I still couldn't get myself out of a pool when I was milking 8 goats twice a day for 3-4 years running and there would have been nothing wrong with my arm strength then. I sometimes wonder if it's more than that - I have always had arm problems. I can't do anything above my head without pins and needles setting in within minutes (makes painting ceilings interesting). I can honestly say that I've never managed as much as one push up in my life - not saying anything with pride obviously Embarassed but, arms have never been a strong point - literally and figuaratively. I can get all set to get up wearing skis push against the poles and absolutely nothing happens - it's soooo Embarassed
snow report
Megamum, try the crossed poles technique instead then. Instead of pushing the tips of your poles into the snow, put both on the ground in the shape of a cross, and push yourself up from the centre. Works very well in powder, but I've also used it on piste too. My wrists can't cope with pushing myself up using the tips. Your problem could be more to do with core strength than arm strength though.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/EkYhPX5Id7w
latest report
getting up on a flat slope is a pain in the butt. i don't like the stress it puts on my knees (having 1 dodgy knee) so I just take my skis off. maybe it makes my look like a gaper, but I just fell over on a flat slope so I guess I just accept that I am a gaper Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Megamum, I imagine milking a goat needs hand and wrist strength, rather than arms. And technique, obviously. You can start doing pushups by standing some distance from a wall then "falling into it", catching yourself on your hands and pushing back. Build strength a bit that way, then do kneeling pushups, which are far easier than the full push up (they are what I do Embarassed )

I find getting up on the flat hard on the knees, too - as Arno says, just take the skis off. Poling is fantastically good exercise for the bingo wings.
snow report
Megamum, get yerself down the gym and practice the
"Turkish Get Up" wink

Sorted.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
Your problem could be more to do with core strength than arm strength though.

I agree. Core strength AND flxibility might be part of the issue.

I broke my collarbone recently so my left arm was pretty useless for a while. Getting out of bed was a bit challenging at first. Then I figure out I could twist my body in such a way I only need to use mostly my legs, and just a little bit of core muscle (not a lot since I also bruised my ribs). No arms.

The trick is somehow to move your weight over to above your legs. That needs flexibility more than strength. But you might as well work on both, which will be very helpful in more way than just getting up from the snow.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

So his recommnedation doesn't really fit my reality check!

doesn't fit mine, either - I have had some quite bad falls on XC skis and on one stretch, in a lesson, the instructor had us all take our skis off and walk, as the icy conditions on the descent made falling highly likely. I fall far more on XC skis than on alpine skis.

I've always said if I am going to really hurt myself it will probably on XC skis. On serious hills they are pretty scary.
snow conditions
All depends

Alpine on piste with friends or family- almost never.

Alpine on piste in a group with instructor- almost never.

Alpine off piste with friends or family - almost never.

Alpine off piste something v steep- not so far.

This is looking a little conceited...

Alpine off piste breakable crust- completely unpredictable maybe I will maybe I won't.....I didn't last time- I did before that..

Telemark on piste with friends / family- if my bindings break or if it is toooo steep.

Telemark off piste every now and then.

I used to be in the "if you're not falling you're not trying" camp, then I: a) dislocated my shoulder falling over b) dislocated my shoulder again falling over c) took some lessons d) worked out that if I fall over it will really hurt e) got a whole lot better, but now f) have decided that a fixed heel is just for girls so have gone back to the beginning...life is a journey.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only fell over once last year and felt like I was taking it easy the whole time, completely within my limits.

Hoping to have my skill levels pushed a little harder this year, so a) I'll improve a fair bit and b) I'll end up falling over a lot more
snow report
I was about to say nearly never, but I think it's because I don't think of it as a memorable event.

If I'm pushing it, I'll fall over nearly every day at some point. I even fell over in the chill factore the other day, trying to engage the new edge really early and not getting the timing right.

I don't think I fall off my mountain bike as often as I should though - I must be going too slow Embarassed
latest report
Many thanks for all the tips - I think I need to do some getting fit too though!
ski holidays
Megamum, I find pilates really useful for developing strength and balance. Your don't have to go to a pilates class, there are plenty of DVDs and Youtube videos to follow.
latest report
Nowadays, I fall about once every 10 days and most of the time that is when i am standing still! I think I am pushing myself, but clearly not very much.
latest report
Quote:

there are plenty of DVDs

and some of them are awful. I would recommend a 1:1 session with a good Pilates teacher (and there are plenty of rubbish ones about) as a start, to make sure you are doing things right.
latest report
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned sHAG in Boots yet. Seems to me like that is your most likely reason to fall over whilst skiing.
ski holidays
ed123 wrote:

Telemark on piste with friends / family- if my bindings break or if it is toooo steep.

Telemark off piste every now and then.

Ooh forgot about Tele - better revise my answer to all the f***** time. And edge arresting with a limp floppy downhill ski is pretty tough too.
snow report
DB,

1. What the is he wearing? Although I am linking stated ability to ski with fashion taste

2. I see no deep powder? Whatdeeppowder? Is he mad about that too?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

2. I see no deep powder? Whatdeeppowder? Is he mad about that too?

Good point - if we assume he's in Whistler from the Inuksuk he could have done steeper & deeper fairly easy for his demo.
snow report
Fairly regularly, I bounce really well. Land on my head in the park- fine, fall over sideways in a lift queue- broken foot, go figure
ski holidays
I fall at some point on every trip. But rarely when I'm pushing it because the consequences are serious and I'm concentrating. And in any event sooner or later some useless gift will ski into you or just one of those things. Don't take the risk if you're not confident or the risk is too great.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy