Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you fall over??

Poster: A snowHead
I dont mean in general life like walking down the street or when your pissed haha

This year due to a mountain bike accident I now have a fairly large metal pin holding the top of my femur on so I'm looking at ways to reduce risk but how much risk is there really on a bog standard 1 week ski holiday spent in a major resort?

Last year I spent a week in Austria in a full weeks worth of skiing I had 1 memorable fall and it was my fault (wasnt paying attention on a fast flat bit and caught an edge), apart from that maybe 2 stupid silly small falls like sliding backwards into a snow drift and then half falling half sitting down.

So the question is how often to you fall / crash in a standard 1 week ski trip??

not talking about park or pipe riding or off piste or even beginners as all of them increase fall chances
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if your not falling your not trying wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd talk to your surgeon and your insurance company. It's no us asking other people how often they fall over, that has no bearing on your situation. Apart from falling over you need to understand other risks, mainly the extra stress on your leg incurred by skiing - skiing fast on a hard packed piste and making a turn puts a lot more stress through your leg than regular walking, and the leveraging force of a ski on your foot exerts a large rotational force on your hip in the event of a fall, or even just a wobble where you manage to hold it and not fall. Could these forces be a risk to you even if you don't fall on to your injured leg?

I'm not saying you shouldn't ski by the way, far from it, I hope you will be fit enough, but it's something you need to work out with the experts who know your situation.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 16-10-13 11:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
enduroaid, Totally depends, if I am low speed cruising gentle pistes with less experienced skiers I will virtually never fall over, almost certainly less often than the occasional skid at home on something greasy.
When generally skiing though although I do not exactly push the limits I will certainly fall over on unprepared terrain off piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
enduroaid, I smashed my femur up in March 1993, had a 12" metal bar in there and 18 screws. they removed it all in Dec 93 I think and I was back skiing end of the season in 94.

Apparently the bone is just as strong/if not stronger, but I would definitely speak to your surgeon and seek their advice.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 16-10-13 11:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think if you stay within your limits you should hardly ever fall, but if falling would have serious consequences for you, you shouldn't go skiing. Personally if I am pushing myself I will have one or two big crashes a day, more if I am trying to learn a new trick.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depends on the conditions, easier to slip on an icy piste or get caught in some slush. I mostly fall over when I'm stood still and forget that I have skis on... Very Happy Very Happy I usually worry about other people skiing into me though to be honest as I can control what I am doing but not them. I guess it is all down to luck though, as long as you stick to the piste and don't do anything too steep that's all you can do to reduce risk.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm gonna kind of disagree a bit. Yeah when you're pushing your limits you're more likely to take a spill, but the times i'm 'taking it easy' is when I stop concentrating properly, which is normally when sweet lady snowboard chooses to hand me my back bottom to wear as a hat.

Delicate balance on keeping things interesting enough for you to focus on the job in hand while not going too far to the edge.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 16-10-13 12:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways, agree with that. I've broken 2 bones skiing. The first on a green run, and the second on a blue run. Both when I was arguably going too fast and was too confident. In both cases I'd been in the park/offpiste beforehand and was just skiing home.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I spoke to my surgeon at my last check up and I've spoken to my Physio about it all and both have cleared me to get back on ski's, both are confident that I will make a 99% recovery and the surgeon has suggested that the pin and screws will be permemant as taking them back out will cause more damage than before. The fracture was the neck of femur - right up in the hip joint so the pin runs at 45 degrees through the centre of the bone....check out dynamic hip screw if you want to see one

biggest problem for me at the moment is because i was off my feet for 10 weeks from June -Aug this year my balance is a bit funny and i have lost a lot of muscle mass in my left leg. But in saying that I'm back on the bike already

I have got some poc vpd impact shorts for this year just in case
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
enduroaid, in that case I'd get in the gym and do all you can to build up muscle, your physio will be the person to talk to about what to do, but when I had hip surgery I did a lot of weights (I.e. a lot of exercise on weight machines, not necessarily big weights!) and some pilates-type stuff using one of those giant beach balls to build up core stability. I wasn't given the all-clear to ski until 12 months after surgery, so I had a lot longer to recover, but if you go late in the season you'll have had a long time for the bone to heal.

Good luck!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways, Me too. I've fallen over from stand still position because I've not been paying attention.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I think if you stay within your limits you should hardly ever fall

maybe. But that doesn't stop somebody crashing into you. If your injury is such that you must not fall, you should not go skiing. Simple.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pam_w

the injury isnt such that I should not fall at all.......I'm allowed to fall thats just a fact of skiing and other sports, just that i should take the approprate safety precautions

Thread was really just trying to guage if folk fall and crash every day or if they mostly stay on there feet
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
enduroaid, I stay on my feet if I'm skiing cautiously.
ski holidays
Agreed lack of concentration is as much a risk as exceeding your limits. My only real injury (torn calf, grade 2 nearly grade 3) came from a spill at about walking speed on a pretty flat bit of green trackway.
ski holidays
enduroaid, When I had my big crash this season I realised I couldn't remember the last time I'd fallen over that season, it was at least 4 weeks before the crash. In the whole season I recall losing a ski exactly 3 times. I'm not an amazing skier btw, and my dins are set very light, I just don't seem to fall over all that much - maybe I should try harder!
ski holidays
enduroaid, good to hear about the 99% prognosis.

You should have enough time to get muscle mass and balance back - no need to go skiing at Christmas, and three months of serious training should get you up to speed.

On the original question, when I skied 4 months after my ACL op (with a brace and the doctor's consent, but still not recommended in most cases) I took things very carefully. Over one week I had one light fall on a blue run, lack of attention.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
enduroaid, I smashed my femur up in March 1993, had a 12" metal bar in there and 18 screws. they removed it all in Dec 93 I think and I was back skiing end of the season in 94.

Apparently the bone is just as strong/if not stronger, but I would definitely speak to your surgeon and seek their advice.

Thanks for sharing your insides with us.
snow conditions
Almost impossible IME not to have at least one carelessness slip on a snowboard (I had considerably more than that on my last time snowboarding due to my propensity to stuff the nose into sub surface objects in less than epic offpiste coverage and cartwheel over them)

On skis if you're competent and ski defensively it's quite hard to fall. Even trying to ski a mogul field at moderate speed you're more likely to wuss out with some sort of inelegant straddle hockey stop than actually crash. If you're trying to get Liggetty type speed and angles on a hard piste on punter skis or show breakable crust who's boss then your chances increase considerably of course.
ski holidays
On a week trip, I normally fall once when stationary and probably once when I overcook it or have a brain fade and catch an edge.
However, you also have to consider factors outside your control. e.g. Getting collected by third party ijits. Happened to me twice, my daughter one and my wife once.
I wonder if people have been killed by slabs of snow falling from roofs? I have seen some big hunks come down and was very happy I wasn't under them
ski holidays
Quote:

I have seen some big hunks come down and was very happy I wasn't under them

Said the actress to the bishop
latest report
I used to average about 5 to 10 falls a day for the first 6 or 7 years skiing. Some pretty big huge ball of snow with random skies ejecting out of it. It didn't improve because as I got better I started doing much more off piste, moguls, jump parks etc. The last few years it had dropped quite a bit and it's now very rare for me to fall on piste, so to remedy I have started attempting to learn to ski backwards in a proper manner. So back to the 5 - 10 a day while doing that rolling eyes On piste when staking it while skiing fast I just tend to spin like a turtle on my back keeping the skis from digging in.

The only injuries I ever had were a MCL one to the knee on a really slow speed twisting fall when a ski tip hit a slushy mound and a sprained thumb from a pole when tumbling down a steep bumps field. Even hitting a rocky stream bed three times and twice smashing into a tree stump in deep powder last winter only resulted in a couple of minor grazes.
snow report
enduroaid, Hi, I picked up a book called 'Total Skiing' by Chris Fellows (2011) from Amazon with free post for around £10.
If and only if, you're really interested in injury prevention and being in optimum condition to go skiing, this is the book to study AND DO. Very, very few instructors give stretches / exercises to help in skiing. Sure, on a course there's often a few exercises to warm up and to stretch a couple of important muscle groups before and after skiing and indeed skier asymmetricals i.e L/R differences and range of leg rotations etc are talked about and demonstrated.
On www.skiclub.co.uk under Video section, select Ski fitness and once registered you can watch for free, 'Flexibility' and 'Strength' videos from Dr Craig McLean. So as a starter, watching and doing these exercises is a good start.
Now back to that book. It promotes a 'Performance Pyramid' the base upon every thing else is defendant upon is 'Functional Movement', then comes 'Targeting Ski Fitness', 'Mastering Essential Technique', 'Tactics and Drill'. The whole point of this book is to emphasize that if you want to get good and be in the best possible shape for improvement / injury prevention ( what you're interested in ) then you must master these 'Functional Movements' first
before anything else. Depending how you do, key objectives are set i.e the range of movement of particular points in your body for that exercise, awards scores of 0, 1,2 or 3.
Now, if say you have a score of only 1, there are a corresponding few exercises to improve that particular score to 2 and the exercise frequency of say 4 to 5 times / week. Again, when score of 2 is accomplished, further different exercises to get to score 3 are shown with usually lower frequency. when you reach score 3 - that's it! - but it must be re tested 4-6 weeks etc. So the key is, if you cant do this..., then do this easier exercise until you CAN do that, then, move on up.
Under 'Mastering Essential Technique', there's essential skills YOU must master, again with attainment scores. There's also a very handy cardiovascular section with training patterns / goals etc. THIS is the theme throughout the book.
This book is for anyone who wants to ski at their best all day, to be in the best possible shape to maximize any instruction taken and to be least likely to suffer injury through tiredness / or lack of ski fitness preparation.
It's a common problem in skiers to have bio mechanical issues which block skier development and if coupled to tiredness the spectra of injury is ever present.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 16-10-13 14:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Quote:

I wonder if people have been killed by slabs of snow falling from roofs?

Yes. Not uncommon - a young girl was killed that way in the UK, a few snowy winters ago.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/VCptzmcJAtg

http://youtube.com/v/HQyFqPBAvco
snow report
Generally if you are not pushing yourself and stay focused, you should be OK. There is no particular reason for you to fall. Yeah, people can crush into you, but if you are aware of your surroundings it largely eliminates this risk. The main thing is getting yourself to the appropriate fitness level. I got injured last January, nothing requiring surgery, but still spent 5 weeks on crutches and lost lot of muscle. 3 weeks of physio (twice a week) and 2 weeks of gym 4 times a week. I was back on skis at end of March and skied maybe 14 days total after coming back, but only piste and only half-days to take it slowly. Anyway, I wasn't anywhere near 99% fitness when I returned from injury, 85-88% I would guess, I could do all the exercises with physio, but one leg was noticeably thinner and I could feel it walking up the stairs etc. My friends were joking that I should be skiing on one leg and not bothered bring up the second ski. Without pushing myself, starting with blue runs and just cruising slowly and focusing on making round turns, I could eventually ski a black groomed run at a decent speed and in a good control. I didn't fall once. Balance is the key, so every time you have a chance work on it. Still plenty time till the season starts to get these muscles back.
snow report
enduroaid wrote:
the injury isnt such that I should not fall at all.......I'm allowed to fall thats just a fact of skiing and other sports, just that i should take the approprate safety precautions

Thread was really just trying to guage if folk fall and crash every day or if they mostly stay on there feet

enduroaid wrote:
I'm looking at ways to reduce risk but how much risk is there really on a bog standard 1 week ski holiday spent in a major resort?

Last year I spent a week in Austria in a full weeks worth of skiing I had 1 memorable fall and it was my fault (wasnt paying attention on a fast flat bit and caught an edge), apart from that maybe 2 stupid silly small falls like sliding backwards into a snow drift and then half falling half sitting down.

So the question is how often to you fall / crash in a standard 1 week ski trip??

How often I fall over could be very different than how often YOU fall over.

I had a plate installed on my collorbone in August. I asked the surgeon differently. Rather than what I can or can not do, I ask when will the bone be as strong as before the accident. It turns out that various a little to each individual but generally 5-6 months give or take.

One doctor advice not to bike for 6 months, which I already ignore (back on bike 4 weeks though strictly on road, no off-road). I've only fallen over 3 times in 40 years of road ridng so the risk is non-existent. (on the other hand, if you search on mtn bike forums, there're countless stories of people re-breaking their fracture when they took enough of those all-too-frequent flight-over-handlebar)

Another say I can bike in 4 weeks and SKI in 2 months. I took the first part of the advice (biking) but am not going to ski in 2 months time (no snow yet for one thing). The reason being, I enjoy challenge myself while skiing so I fall over often enough. I'd rather not take the risk of the bone re-breaking in one of those falls. So I'm not planning to ski Christmas but will wait till February.

A few years back, I broke a couple of ribs (skiing into a tree Sad ). Doctor told me I could continue ski and mtn bike! Shocked Well, until I told her mtn biking to me may involves occasional flights over the handlebar, then she changed her recommendation. Toofy Grin

In short, how you ski and how I ski may not be the same. And how you ski and how your doctor think of skiing may also be entirely different too! Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

And how you ski and how your doctor think of skiing may also be entirely different too

Hmm. Are you saying I should have mentioned to my surgeon that I dropped Corbett's the last season before my op ...? Embarassed
snow report
sah wrote:
Quote:

And how you ski and how your doctor think of skiing may also be entirely different too

Hmm. Are you saying I should have mentioned to my surgeon that I dropped Corbett's the last season before my op ...? Embarassed

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

More appropriate to tell your surgeon when you plan to drop Corbett's AFTER your op Laughing

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 16-10-13 16:11; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Actually, I have no further plans in that area. No more dropping anything if I can help it Happy
latest report
But really, a Jackson local who drop into Corbett's day after day staying upright will not faze the doctor.

In fact, my surgeon said I should x-c ski instead of alpine ski. Reality being, I don't have to fall on alpine skis if I don't challenge myself (though I prefer to push thing a little each day). But with x-c skiing, I'm not quite as sure footed on those skinny planks as I'm on the wide, stiff alpine skis. So though I fall less often but the falls are more unpredictable. So his recommnedation doesn't really fit my reality check! Sad
snow report
enduroaid wrote:

Last time, one slow fall (in very bad vis) and one crash when I was happily cruising a red and an idiot skied at speed into the back of me. That's my first "crash" in years.

Those "everything is white, which way is up?" days are the ones I tend to fall, but not fast, because I'm not going fast.

Stupidest -skiing for 5 minutes, first run of the season, stopped, toppled and fell over onto my thumb. Which then hurt all holiday.

P.S. I didn't originally use the word "idiot" but the forum didn't like the word I did use.
ski holidays
Quote:

So his recommnedation doesn't really fit my reality check!

doesn't fit mine, either - I have had some quite bad falls on XC skis and on one stretch, in a lesson, the instructor had us all take our skis off and walk, as the icy conditions on the descent made falling highly likely. I fall far more on XC skis than on alpine skis.
ski holidays
Almost never on piste. Perhaps 3 times per week off piste.

Sounds like you should be fine, though.
snow conditions
Worth chucking in for the people who are proud of never falling - do you have the muscle memory to fall safely?

And related - I only really developed confidence in my reconstructed ACL when I had a decent fall. I'm quite glad this happened soon after getting back to skiing otherwise I'd have been tentative for much longer.
latest report
Quote:

do you have the muscle memory to fall safely?

mine improved a good deal after the first couple of weeks of snowboarding....
latest report
Quote:

To fall safely is to fall on the side, hip & shoulder!

That's what prompted me to ask the surgeon specific about bone integrity rather than "when can I do what". If the injury/surgery involves shoulder or hip, those being the normally "safe" landing spot!!! rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

you mean back handspring over the crevasse?
snow report
abc wrote:
Quote:

To fall safely is to fall on the side, hip & shoulder!

That's what prompted me to ask the surgeon specific about bone integrity rather than "when can I do what". If the injury/surgery involves shoulder or hip, those being the normally "safe" landing spot!!! rolling eyes
good advice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy