Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurances, and other boring season stuff for a ski bum...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
living in the mountains I wouldnt want to drive anything that was every going to upset me if it gets driven into or scratched. just needs to be cheap front.w.d and have snow tyres, then your good to go Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eddiethebus, good point. The state the car gets into late in the season when there's a lot of slush and mud around is pretty horrible. The state of the roads can be hard on suspension, too. I have a shiny new car this year and am just going to have to be unprecious about it!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use a Subaru Legacy - looks like a normal estate but has permanent all-wheel drive. It's overkill, a Corsa will do with good tyres.

For insurances, when working out your costs factor in that a cheap return flight to the UK (and back to Alps) can be had for about £50. This resets your trip length - your passport/ticket shows you returned to the UK, so any 60/90 day limits start again. This can be cheaper than insuring for a longer stay - particularly for health.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

your passport/ticket shows you returned to the UK, so any 60/90 day limits start again

are you sure that's the case if the car has been abroad all that time?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on the wording of the policy. Some state that the car can only be out of the country for a maximum of x days at a time, and for a total of y days throughout the duration of the policy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
eddiethebus, good point. The state the car gets into late in the season when there's a lot of slush and mud around is pretty horrible. The state of the roads can be hard on suspension, too. I have a shiny new car this year and am just going to have to be unprecious about it!

Slowly getting sorted on insurances etc. Next, buy PDS season pass and Eurotunnel tickets. Book place to stay on way there to break the journey.

Have decided to keep the Landy. It will be hell getting there, but I do love the car, and have discovered that I have an underground garage with a warm water pressure wash in it, so no worries about salt rotting it/not starting in the mornings. If it doesn't start, it also turns out that my apartment is on the main ski bus route to/from Morzine. So I'll still be able to ski! And as I discovered on a couple of days in the country last week, it really will go anywhere, and through anything. As for someone denting it - it's a matt olive green Defender. a few scuffs make them look better (also good luck to anyone hitting it as it wears side bars and tubular bumpers front and rear, thanks to the nutter who had it built in 2011).

Not a sensible choice, but when the memories happen in years to come, my steed will have been a memorable one. Bit like when I was living in Brussels as a trainee solicitor, my choice of wheels for touring Europe was a 1969 MGB roadster with a broken roof and fuel pump issues. Good memories.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ill be out there in Morzine from 1/12/2013 for the season, get in touch if you want to meet up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nevis - absolutely, will be living with a couple of other SHers. PM me some contact details, and let me know when you're in town. I'm driving out 6/1/14 and heading back here early April.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy